Max Preps State rankings

You said it. Ego.

What has elder done?

Elder has won a state title in every decade since the 40's, i believe...maybe not in the 2010's. But Elder is as good as anyone out there.
In basketball? Don't they only have 2 state titles?

So teams refuse to play other teams just because they have a good program? Isn't that the type of team you'd want to play? I just don't understand it. Elder has a good program but they're not world beaters by any stretch in basketball. Their coaching staff has a great reputation as well, so I'm surprised teams won't play them. The attitudes in the high school game have shifted tremendously since the last time I coached.

For football, I can understand it because of the Harbins - but it makes no sense in basketball to have this attitude toward quality programs in your area, unless they've done something to earn it.

You said it. Ego.

What has elder done?

Elder has won a state title in every decade since the 40's, i believe...maybe not in the 2010's. But Elder is as good as anyone out there.
Are you talking basketball or another sport? I follow high school hoops pretty close and don’t remember Elder being a factor. Moeller and St. Xavier for sure but not Elder.

Are you talking basketball or another sport? I follow high school hoops pretty close and don’t remember Elder being a factor. Moeller and St. Xavier for sure but not Elder.
Elder has been to state 6 times with the first being in 1936. Won it in 73, 74, 93, lost in semi's in 1980 and finished 2nd in 2001....haven't been back since. Moeller has 6 state titles since 1999 including their last 2 trips in 2018 and 2019. St X won it in 2000.....hasn't been back since 2008.

St Ignatius and Louisville are Top 2 in D1 as of today. Ironically they played each other on Dec 8 with Ignatius winning 75-62.

Imagine how good the Wildcats would be with Ace Buckner.

Last edited:
I feel like the rankings are going to affect the mid-tier teams a lot. If I have a tough schedule and I end up falling down to 11-15 while a bad team with a bad schedule gets 6-8, I all of a sudden get stuck with a worse draw.

Overall, I’m guessing the system gets tweaked going forward but I think you’re going to see some really good matchups in the tournament than they should be.

Has anyone actually seen or has an inside scoop of what the formula actually is? I think they would clear up all confusion about how they (Maxpreps and OHSAA) calculate it. People will still have opinions good or bad but at least we would all have the information to form our opinions.

Has anyone actually seen or has an inside scoop of what the formula actually is? I think they would clear up all confusion about how they (Maxpreps and OHSAA) calculate it. People will still have opinions good or bad but at least we would all have the information to form our opinions.
From OHSAA site: What percentages are being used in the formula? The formula is as follows: RPI = (0.40 × WP) + (0.35 × OWP) + (0.25 × OOWP)

From OHSAA site: What percentages are being used in the formula? The formula is as follows: RPI = (0.40 × WP) + (0.35 × OWP) + (0.25 × OOWP)
That's it? Nothing to take division size into consideration? If not then the ranking we are seeing on Maxpreps are meaningless with regard to how the OHSAA rankings are going to play out.

That's it? Nothing to take division size into consideration? If not then the ranking we are seeing on Maxpreps are meaningless with regard to how the OHSAA rankings are going to play out.
The rankings being discussed in this thread are not the RPI, the first RPI will be out next week and updated nightly.

You are correct, a win over a 14-8 D1 team is seen as worse than a win over a 16-6 D4 team. Both would help you in your win % but the D4 win would help you more in opponent win %.

The rankings being discussed in this thread are not the RPI, the first RPI will be out next week and updated nightly.

You are correct, a win over a 14-8 D1 team is seen as worse than a win over a 16-6 D4 team. Both would help you in your win % but the D4 win would help you more in opponent win %.
Ridiculous.....but of course it's the OHSAA so that makes sense lol

#1 St Ignatius has already played #2 Louisville, #8 Brunswick, and defending State Champion Richmond Heights.
The Wildcats play highly ranked Centerville next week.
They look like a real state title contender in the games I've seen them play.

#1 St Ignatius has already played #2 Louisville, #8 Brunswick, and defending State Champion Richmond Heights.
Agreed. They would potentially have to get past Garfield Heights to make it to state right?
I think that would be a very good matchup.

Agreed. They would potentially have to get past Garfield Heights to make it to state right?
I think that would be a very good matchup.
It depends on the tournament seeding. I understand that there are several changes for this season that could lead to a potential matchup not until the state finals.

MaxPreps RPI is being used for seeding (there is already discussion on that).

There is no longer an East pod and West pod for the 6 Northeast Ohio districts. All D1 schools are lumped together and the top seeds can select their district bracket - NE1, NE2, NE3, NE4, NE5, NE6.

Based on Cleveland.com's rankings, I would imagine GH and SIHS would be amongst the top seeds (whatever it may be). Currently, other top D1 seeds for the NE could be - Louisville, Brecksville, Mentor, Strongsville, Brunswick, St. Edward, Green.

Region 1 is Akron/Toledo: NE 5 vs. NE 6 and NW 1 vs. NW2
Region 2 is Kent: NE1 vs. NE 3 and NE2 vs. NE4

State: Kent vs. Columbus and Akron/Toledo vs. Cincinnati

So it is quite possible that one team selects one of the 4 districts leading to the Kent regional and the other team selects one of the 2 districts leading to the Akron/Toledo regional. They would only match up if they could reach the state finals

how did they do against R Heights?

The MaxPreps rankings work like a Sagarin type ranking.

The RPI rankings compiled by MaxPreps are just that, an RPI.

They are completely different.

Here's the latest Maxpreps #1 for Ohio as of 01/15/2024
D1-St Ignatius 11-3
D2-Lutheran West 13-0
D3-Lutheran East 12-1
D4-Warren JFK 11-1

Here's the latest Maxpreps #1 for Ohio as of 01/15/2024
D1-St Ignatius 11-3
D2-Lutheran West 13-0
D3-Lutheran East 12-1
D4-Warren JFK 11-1
That's not the ranking they use to determine tourney seeding. In that one here are your #1's

D1 Findlay..............St Ignatius is #3 in the Northeast District behind Louisville and Garfield Heights
D2 Lutheran West..............Cincy Wyoming 2nd by .005 over Hartley
D3 Lutheran East.............Ottawa Glandorf in 2nd
D4 Warren JFK.................Russia in 2nd

For Northwest Ohio (159 schools), the scores for 4 games (5 schools) have not been entered into MaxPreps. There is also one jv game (against a non OHSAA opponent) that has been entered into MaxPreps.

Will probably lead to a lot of seeding change the last week of the RPI because schools finally check and update their MaxPreps schedules.
My thought is that any school that has their schedule incorrect with a week (or 2) to go in the season has to use the LOWER of 1) their current posted RPI or 2) their corrected RPI after fixing the schedule. If you didn't post all of your scores you don't get to gain in the RPI the last week when you realize you forgot a game(s)

My thought is that any school that has their schedule incorrect with a week (or 2) to go in the season has to use the LOWER of 1) their current posted RPI or 2) their corrected RPI after fixing the schedule. If you didn't post all of your scores you don't get to gain in the RPI the last week when you realize you forgot a game(s)
That is an intelligent, thought out appraoch....so no chance the OHSAA does it!!