Massillon Football 2020 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids want to go to college and play football ... outside of Hoban who else in Akron is producing results ... football is down as a whole in northeast Ohio ... I’m an Akron guy and I’m not surprised by kids going to Massillon they are looking for exposure .. your not getting that in the Akron city league anymore

Kids want to go to college and play football ... outside of Hoban who else in Akron is producing results ... football is down as a whole in northeast Ohio ... I’m an Akron guy and I’m not surprised by kids going to Massillon they are looking for exposure .. your not getting that in the Akron city league anymore
Have to agree, I really thought Vass would make athletics a lot better in the City, I've noticed zero results since he became the city director of athletics. And the basketball coaching carousel hasn't changed a bit.

I find it interesting that people jump to the “Massillon recruits” conclusion and barely anyone comes up with the question: what the heck is going on at Buchtel that 6 of their starters just left?
There’s a reason these kids bought into the idea of starting their careers at the two Akron Catholic schools..it’s because the public schools in Akron SUCK

These are kids who are good enough that they'd have had exposure regardless of where they played. They'll certainly play against a higher level of competition, but these are all kids who have already been discovered. Any advantage could be in part balanced out by a concern as to their transient nature.

My concern is that the four players in question will total 13 schools by the time they're done at Massillon. I guess there's also that outside chance that it will be more if they transfer back for the spring. That's not an indictment of Massillon so spare me the grief or the support, but that's a troubling aspect of today's high school sports environment.

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame the kids for "upgrading." I just miss the old days of kids not bouncing around so much.

I find it interesting that people jump to the “Massillon recruits” conclusion and barely anyone comes up with the question: what the heck is going on at Buchtel that 6 of their starters just left?
There’s a reason these kids bought into the idea of starting their careers at the two Akron Catholic schools..it’s because the public schools in Akron SUCK
Although Akron schools do suck lets be real education is not why they left. 4 flippin high schools in four years, lunatics. And that's what's wrong with all the protestors today, like these kids there is no adult guidance in their lives.

I agree clark. Once should be enough. 2 under some unusual circumstance. I don't know the reasoning but 3 in 4 years might actually hurt your recruitment so be prepared to get asked about it. And there were 2 others. Pretty devastating off-season for Buchtel fans.

At the end of the day if you have the option of going from a programmer at your local university to a programmer at google you wouldn't take the job. Same job less work, more resources, better pay and benefits to do the same exact thing why not. These kids are just doing what they believe is best for them in the long run and only time will tell if they are on the right side of history or not.

At the end of the day if you have the option of going from a programmer at your local university to a programmer at google you wouldn't take the job. Same job less work, more resources, better pay and benefits to do the same exact thing why not. These kids are just doing what they believe is best for them in the long run and only time will tell if they are on the right side of history or not.
So that's the reason they went to Buchtel??? Come on man its out of hand.

So that's the reason they went to Buchtel??? Come on man its out of hand.
All except one left their previous schools for particular reasons all of which weren't related to football. I know this for a fact not speculation but there is no need to speak on it. If you know you know if you don't its not relevant. All have moved to Stark county and have satisfied OHSAA guidelines which is all that matters.

These are kids who are good enough that they'd have had exposure regardless of where they played. They'll certainly play against a higher level of competition, but these are all kids who have already been discovered. Any advantage could be in part balanced out by a concern as to their transient nature.

My concern is that the four players in question will total 13 schools by the time they're done at Massillon. I guess there's also that outside chance that it will be more if they transfer back for the spring. That's not an indictment of Massillon so spare me the grief or the support, but that's a troubling aspect of today's high school sports environment.

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame the kids for "upgrading." I just miss the old days of kids not bouncing around so much.
I here what your saying and I agree! the only part I don’t agree with is if there good enough they would have gotten exposure anywhere ... a few kids left Firestone and Ellet to transfer to East and both now are committed to Universities .. one is going to Boston College the other to Central Michigan .... the talent never left ... but colleges don’t come to Akron and make stops at Firestone, Kenmore . Ellet or North etc.... they go where known talent is ... yes these four that left Buchtel have a few offers but from going through the process and having friends go through it back in the day and seeing it up close in college ... colleges look at league strength also ... those four Buchtel players probably see a chance to prove themselves against stronger comp and get better offers ... some of the offers these guys have may not be commitable just yet ... depending on where they fall on the list of needs in the coaches room ... colleges coaches don’t look at the Cleveland city league or Akron City league as great competition .... for RBs playing against Kenmore, Firestone , North and such they knew they were going to top 200/300 yards that day ... that looks good on paper but for recruiting purposes that doesn’t tell me much .... now a days as a coach recruiting a certain area ... am I taking the RB from East or Buchtel that rushed for 2000 yards against terrible company or the 1200 yard rusher from St Eds that plays too complicated in state week in and week out ... I gotta go with the kids that’s battle tested

Not sure how that was a racist comment but hey however you want to interpret it. Every fool is jumping on that these days. I honestly don't or didn't even know that all 4 are black but hey I don't expect the shallow minded to believe that. BTW, I just heard two kids just decommitted from Hoban, let your people know.

Last edited:
I here what your saying and I agree! the only part I don’t agree with is if there good enough they would have gotten exposure anywhere ... a few kids left Firestone and Ellet to transfer to East and both now are committed to Universities .. one is going to Boston College the other to Central Michigan .... the talent never left ... but colleges don’t come to Akron and make stops at Firestone, Kenmore . Ellet or North etc.... they go where known talent is ... yes these four that left Buchtel have a few offers but from going through the process and having friends go through it back in the day and seeing it up close in college ... colleges look at league strength also ... those four Buchtel players probably see a chance to prove themselves against stronger comp and get better offers ... some of the offers these guys have may not be commitable just yet ... depending on where they fall on the list of needs in the coaches room ... colleges coaches don’t look at the Cleveland city league or Akron City league as great competition .... for RBs playing against Kenmore, Firestone , North and such they knew they were going to top 200/300 yards that day ... that looks good on paper but for recruiting purposes that doesn’t tell me much .... now a days as a coach recruiting a certain area ... am I taking the RB from East or Buchtel that rushed for 2000 yards against terrible company or the 1200 yard rusher from St Eds that plays too complicated in state week in and week out ... I gotta go with the kids that’s battle tested

Agreed that being battle tested helps and that results against better teams certainly mean more but college recruiters get paid big money to find kids and even find them in foreign countries. DeShawn Dowdy was found by P5 recruiters at Akron North. They'll find the top kids regardless of where they play.

Agreed that being battle tested helps and that results against better teams certainly mean more but college recruiters get paid big money to find kids and even find them in foreign countries. DeShawn Dowdy was found by P5 recruiters at Akron North. They'll find the top kids regardless of where they play.
Agreed on both points, same as basketball, Seen kids average 12 points a game at McK go D1 as kids averaging 25 points at Mogadore go D3.

The great thing about Deshawn is he came along at the time where camps were the recruiting bases and being 6’4 220lbs and Athletic did great for him ... did it translate to the field much ... not really but thats a diffrent discussion .... but coming off of film a lot of teams wouldn’t have known about DJ because his name would have been put next to Akron Notth ... the last player North produced Lydon Gayle who was 2 years before me when I got to Toledo ... but he never played as well .... camps now are helping players stand out ... I remember early 2000’s camps were impossible to get to because a lot of people couldn’t afford them ......off the topic but I truly believe Ashland and Akron U would be a good football game to watch .... with me believing Ashland could pull off a win ... random thought

The great thing about Deshawn is he came along at the time where camps were the recruiting bases and being 6’4 220lbs and Athletic did great for him ... did it translate to the field much ... not really but thats a diffrent discussion .... but coming off of film a lot of teams wouldn’t have known about DJ because his name would have been put next to Akron Notth ... the last player North produced Lydon Gayle who was 2 years before me when I got to Toledo ... but he never played as well .... camps now are helping players stand out ... I remember early 2000’s camps were impossible to get to because a lot of people couldn’t afford them ......off the topic but I truly believe Ashland and Akron U would be a good football game to watch .... with me believing Ashland could pull off a win ... random thought

Deshawn Dowdy Junior Year Highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.