Martin RPI

Ha...I have said many times that the RPI is a solution if all you are looking for is standardization, you have stubbornly resisted admitting the D3 RPI was garbage :)

Teams probably average 10-12 non-conference games a season. Hopefully Taft would continue to schedule up like they did last year, but if all the sketchy coaches are colluding to manipulate seeding now, it only stands to reason they will manipulate the RPI through scheduling.

You can claim whatever you want, just know that the RPI is going to be going in effect in the whole state sooner rather than later. I don't think anyone with any say on the matter is going to hop on here and say oh wow SWOHHoops is crying cause people don't agree with his personal opinion of how teams are ranked in SWO. Evolve or get left behind buddy. How hilariously ironic it is that you're saying anyone opposing your opinion is stubbornly resisting LMAO.

You said you earlier that the Final Four teams of Africentric, Lutheran East, & Taft were ranked 5th, 22nd, & 31st, so that means the RPI was "far off," as you stated.

Africentric--ranked as the 2nd best team in R11. To reach the Final Four, they played:

-Wellington (48th in R11)
-Marion Elgin (16th in R11)
-Bishop Ready (1st in R11)
-Fairland (3rd in R11)
-Garaway (4th in R11)

Ranked higher than ALL opponents except Bishop Ready, whose RPI was 0.0034 higher than Africentric.

Lutheran East--ranked as the 5th best team in R9. To reach the Final Four, they played:

-Wickliffe (43rd in R9)
-Waynedale (27th in R9)
-Smithville (12th in R9)
-Norwayne (2nd in R9)
-Cardinal Mooney (13th in R9)

Ranked higher than ALL opponents except Norwayne, whose RPI was 0.0304 higher than Lutheran East.

Taft--ranked as the 6th best team in R12. To reach the Final Four, they played:

-East Clinton (41st in R12)
-Clark Montessori (39th in R12)
-Riverview East (35th in R12)
-Indian Lake (17th in R12)
-Mariemont (4th in R12)
-Georgetown (2nd in R12)

Ranked higher than ALL opponents except Mariemont, whose RPI was 0.0056 higher than Taft, & Georgetown, whose RPI was 0.0444 higher than Taft.

4 "upsets" in these 16 games. Pretty "far off" that RPI was, huh. Did you think Taft knocked off the Top 30 teams to make it to the Final Four? That The Lue knocked off the Top 21 teams to make it to the Final Four? If you can't understand any of that, you just have a big dump in your pants.

Wow, a lot of really mature things to unpack in that post.....

1. I certainly hope no decision makers are logging on to Yappi to see what I think to determine whether they support the RPI or not. Weird that you took having a back-and-forth conversation and sharing different opinions as whining. You sure seem sensitive to people challenging the quality of the RPI :unsure:

2. Everyone in Ohio thinks the AP poll is worthless bc the rankings are so far off from reality. The RPI, in D3, is in the same category. Doesn't mean it won't be used eventually across the state, but any objective person has to agree that the RPI D3 state rankings were not close to reality. Nobody in SWOH thought anyone but Taft was winning the region, except the RPI who had 5 teams better than them.

3. Taft beat Lutheran East by 13 in the semi and OG by 3 in the final. Those were the two best teams from their regions. In those regions there were 18 teams ranked higher than Taft. You are so married to the RPI that you can't say "I support it and think it should be used state-wide, but it also was way off last year in D3".

Ha...I have said many times that the RPI is a solution if all you are looking for is standardization, you have stubbornly resisted admitting the D3 RPI was garbage :)

Teams probably average 10-12 non-conference games a season. Hopefully Taft would continue to schedule up like they did last year, but if all the sketchy coaches are colluding to manipulate seeding now, it only stands to reason they will manipulate the RPI through scheduling.
I've not been stubborn about anything. I admitted that the RPI did not predict a state champ. But there is not a statewide system that can do that with 100% accuracy.

Many leagues carry 8 teams so I don't know of to many that would have 12 non-league games. I do know of a few that have 10 teams in which case they look for 13 non-league games if they want to play 22. Taft as an example only played 19 regular season games last year and that would have hurt them in the RPI pool against teams of similar caliber playing 22.

I've not been stubborn about anything. I admitted that the RPI did not predict a state champ. But there is not a statewide system that can do that with 100% accuracy.

Many leagues carry 8 teams so I don't know of to many that would have 12 non-league games. I do know of a few that have 10 teams in which case they look for 13 non-league games if they want to play 22. Taft as an example only played 19 regular season games last year and that would have hurt them in the RPI pool against teams of similar caliber playing 22.
Ha, avoiding admitting the D3 RPI was garbage by saying no system can predict the state champ with 100% accuracy is top-class deflection.

If I started a website and told you I was ranking teams and I had half the final four outside my top 20 would you say my rankings were reliable? Everyone admits the AP poll is garbage because it is always so far off but this RPI was even farther off and you and Diebs can't admit it for some reason.

For the 50th time these things can all be true:
The RPI is the best thing we have IF you support complete standardization
It was approved in NWOH
It may be approved all over Ohio some day
The D3 rankings were garbage and point to a flaw that needs fixed.

Ha, avoiding admitting the D3 RPI was garbage by saying no system can predict the state champ with 100% accuracy is top-class deflection.

If I started a website and told you I was ranking teams and I had half the final four outside my top 20 would you say my rankings were reliable? Everyone admits the AP poll is garbage because it is always so far off but this RPI was even farther off and you and Diebs can't admit it for some reason.

It was approved in NWOH
What you cannot understand is there is no formula that can take an 11 win team that only played 19 games and match it up with teams that have played 22 games with better winning percentages. You are using a single team to judge a and idea that would be used to impartially assess 1,571 teams in the state. This will not predict the state champions in all 4 divisions. It will be a uniformed seeding process that I feel a majority of coaches are in favor of. Because let's face it, there are more teams that will not be a #1 seed that only want a fair placement in the bracket.

I would tell you to do your rankings after the final four was played. It's the only way to be accurate. In my opinion the AP poll is not "garbage". It's not accurate very often but most people know this and see it as the opinion of some sportswriters.

It really is not about what you and I support. It's a change that is happening.
Statewide standardization is a goal, discussed by directors from all over the state and a region was asked to pilot this idea. It was coach approved by 75%.
Approval is growing everywhere.
The D3 rankings were done that same way the D1, D2 and D4 rankings were made. The flaw as in the data going into the formula.

It was approved in NWOH

It's no different than football and their computer rankings. For instance just last year:

Holy Name - ranked 8th in their region - made it to regional final
Winton Woods - ranked 7th in region - won state championship
Versailes - ranked 5th in their region - won state championship
Coldwater - ranked 4th in their region - made it to state championship
Carey - ranked 3rd in their region - won state championship

And in football, not every team makes the postseason. Are the rankings/formula perfect? No. But it is uniform ACROSS the state.

You can claim whatever you want, just know that the RPI is going to be going in effect in the whole state sooner rather than later. I don't think anyone with any say on the matter is going to hop on here and say oh wow SWOHHoops is crying cause people don't agree with his personal opinion of how teams are ranked in SWO. Evolve or get left behind buddy. How hilariously ironic it is that you're saying anyone opposing your opinion is stubbornly resisting LMAO.

You said you earlier that the Final Four teams of Africentric, Lutheran East, & Taft were ranked 5th, 22nd, & 31st, so that means the RPI was "far off," as you stated.

Africentric--ranked as the 2nd best team in R11. To reach the Final Four, they played:

-Wellington (48th in R11)
-Marion Elgin (16th in R11)
-Bishop Ready (1st in R11)
-Fairland (3rd in R11)
-Garaway (4th in R11)

Ranked higher than ALL opponents except Bishop Ready, whose RPI was 0.0034 higher than Africentric.

Lutheran East--ranked as the 5th best team in R9. To reach the Final Four, they played:

-Wickliffe (43rd in R9)
-Waynedale (27th in R9)
-Smithville (12th in R9)
-Norwayne (2nd in R9)
-Cardinal Mooney (13th in R9)

Ranked higher than ALL opponents except Norwayne, whose RPI was 0.0304 higher than Lutheran East.

Taft--ranked as the 6th best team in R12. To reach the Final Four, they played:

-East Clinton (41st in R12)
-Clark Montessori (39th in R12)
-Riverview East (35th in R12)
-Indian Lake (17th in R12)
-Mariemont (4th in R12)
-Georgetown (2nd in R12)

Ranked higher than ALL opponents except Mariemont, whose RPI was 0.0056 higher than Taft, & Georgetown, whose RPI was 0.0444 higher than Taft.

4 "upsets" in these 16 games. Pretty "far off" that RPI was, huh. Did you think Taft knocked off the Top 30 teams to make it to the Final Four? That The Lue knocked off the Top 21 teams to make it to the Final Four? If you can't understand any of that, you just have a big dump in your pants.
What you cannot understand is there is no formula that can take an 11 win team that only played 19 games and match it up with teams that have played 22 games with better winning percentages. You are using a single team to judge a and idea that would be used to impartially assess 1,571 teams in the state. This will not predict the state champions in all 4 divisions. It will be a uniformed seeding process that I feel a majority of coaches are in favor of. Because let's face it, there are more teams that will not be a #1 seed that only want a fair placement in the bracket.

I would tell you to do your rankings after the final four was played. It's the only way to be accurate. In my opinion the AP poll is not "garbage". It's not accurate very often but most people know this and see it as the opinion of some sportswriters.

It really is not about what you and I support. It's a change that is happening.
Statewide standardization is a goal, discussed by directors from all over the state and a region was asked to pilot this idea. It was coach approved by 75%.
Approval is growing everywhere.
The D3 rankings were done that same way the D1, D2 and D4 rankings were made. The flaw as in the data going into the formula.
If it has so much support statewide why are you on this forum pushing it? Seems like you should be in Columbus. Seriously could care less as team playing the best ball at the given time in any sport or individual competition will win. Upsets happen, seeds are wrong (sometimes), refs miss calls I can go on and on. The Original team or individual seed is the smallest part of the equation. The cream does (eventually) rise to the top and you can stir it as long as you wish……

If it has so much support statewide why are you on this forum pushing it? Seems like you should be in Columbus. Seriously could care less as team playing the best ball at the given time in any sport or individual competition will win. Upsets happen, seeds are wrong (sometimes), refs miss calls I can go on and on. The Original team or individual seed is the smallest part of the equation. The cream does (eventually) rise to the top and you can stir it as long as you wish……
I'm not pushing it. I'm talking about it. I am not a salesman for the RPI. I just talking about a change that is coming regardless of your thoughts or mine. Seeding can be a factor for maybe the first 2 games of tournament.

I'm not pushing it. I'm talking about it. I am not a salesman for the RPI. I just talking about a change that is coming regardless of your thoughts or mine. Seeding can be a factor for maybe the first 2 games of
Seeding is a minimal factor in any sport. However, if little Johnny/coach/school really want that sectional/district title a computer isn’t getting it for him, As you still have to play the game and anything can happen once the whistle blows. Last, I would rather be ranked lower if I am a middle of pack team as the no respect role/aspect comes into play.

I'm not pushing it. I'm talking about it. I am not a salesman for the RPI. I just talking about a change that is coming regardless of your thoughts or mine. Seeding can be a factor for maybe the first 2 games of tournament.
I've been in or around seed meetings for 35 years and I gather you have similar experience. The seeds and subsequent placement of teams in the bracket has a MAJOR impact on the whole district/regional tournament. The difference between the 2 and the 5 seed can mean playing Taft in the District final vs playing them in the regional final. @BBcourt32 is proof of that with his district final teams, if he was a couple seeds lower his tournament path may have been much, much different.

@Hback comparing football to any other sport is apples-to-oranges because football only has a regional and state championship meaning it is all governed by OHSAA HQ. So a standard way to select teams (another huge difference between it and all other sports) across the state is a must. Most other team sports have sectional and district championships which are planned and governed by the individual districts. At a much higher level the macro conversation we are having comes down to do you support local governance (i.e. the district choosing how their seeding is done) or central governance (i.e. Columbus tells everyone how to seed). Right now it is local as NWOH has voted to adopt it and nobody else has.

@jj150 I agree with wanting to be lower seeded because you can see where everyone else went in the bracket and chart a better course for yourself. The "no respect" card was a thing back in my day when school/community pride was a major thing, but those days in most areas down here are long gone. Probably a good conversation for another thread.

You’ve said these two things…
The coaches placement is not being addressed with the talk of using the RPI for seeding.
Every coach can pick the best path for his own team. What they are discussing is removing the ability to affect any other teams placement.
…but earlier in the thread you were quite clear…
If this does happen, expect the next step to be bracket placement like the NCAA. Currently coaches get to select their location and game time from what is available. If they take the voting away, the next step will be automatic bracket placement.
So which is it?

So which is it?
All of them it is whatever fits the narrative at the time. If this adopted by anyone they are crazy and will end up getting screwed more than they claim/perceive at the current time.

I've been in or around seed meetings for 35 years and I gather you have similar experience. The seeds and subsequent placement of teams in the bracket has a MAJOR impact on the whole district/regional tournament. The difference between the 2 and the 5 seed can mean playing Taft in the District final vs playing them in the regional final. @BBcourt32 is proof of that with his district final teams, if he was a couple seeds lower his tournament path may have been much, much different.

@Hback comparing football to any other sport is apples-to-oranges because football only has a regional and state championship meaning it is all governed by OHSAA HQ. So a standard way to select teams (another huge difference between it and all other sports) across the state is a must. Most other team sports have sectional and district championships which are planned and governed by the individual districts. At a much higher level the macro conversation we are having comes down to do you support local governance (i.e. the district choosing how their seeding is done) or central governance (i.e. Columbus tells everyone how to seed). Right now it is local as NWOH has voted to adopt it and nobody else has.

@jj150 I agree with wanting to be lower seeded because you can see where everyone else went in the bracket and chart a better course for yourself. The "no respect" card was a thing back in my day when school/community pride was a major thing, but those days in most areas down here are long gone. Probably a good conversation for another thread.
In the NW the district teams are defined by a location and the seeding is done in each district unlike the SW. There is no chance, depending on seeding a team could play a school in district finals or regional finals if seeded higher or lower.

So which is it?
I am still trying to be as clear as I can for anyone to understand what I am saying. The discussion of using the RPI for seeding does nothing to take away the coaches' action of placing themselves in the sectional/district bracket. I believe once the RPI is in use, the next step requested by the OHSAA will be the automatic placement of teams in the brackets based on their seeding. Similar to football.

In the NW the district teams are defined by a location and the seeding is done in each district unlike the SW. There is no chance, depending on seeding a team could play a school in district finals or regional finals if seeded higher or lower.
Ok, than the difference between playing Lima Senior in the "sectional final" or the regional semi

I am still trying to be as clear as I can for anyone to understand what I am saying. The discussion of using the RPI for seeding does nothing to take away the coaches' action of placing themselves in the sectional/district bracket. I believe once the RPI is in use, the next step requested by the OHSAA will be the automatic placement of teams in the brackets based on their seeding. Similar to football.
Right. Mission creep. I get it, and it’s the reason I’m not in favor of using the Martin RPI. I don’t think it’s more fair or effective than coaches voting, and I HATE the idea of automatic bracket placement.

No, if you are in the sectional that Lima Sr is in, you could never see them in the regional.
I get the feeling at times that you pretend I said something I didn't just so you don't have to concede a point ;)

Check out D3 Norwalk Seeds - 1 Col Crawford/2 Reserve/3 Willard/4 Elmwood

1 seed went in the top bracket and the next two went in the bottom which left 4 with really only one option, jump in with 1 and play them in the district semi. If they were the 2 or the 3 seed they could have avoided the 1 until the district final. Seeding does not just impact the first couple games, it has an impact on every game out to the regional final.

In recent years, I noticed a trend that there always seemed to be one District that was leaps and bounds tougher than the other Districts that fed into that Bowling Green Regional: the Elida District. In fact, 11 out of the last 17 Bowling Green Regional champions have came out of that Elida District. In those six years where the champion was NOT from the Elida District, three of those six years was because there was no Elida District or the Elida District fed into the Southwest Region.

In 2018, 8 out of the 11 schools in the Elida District had a winning percentage of .750 or higher. In two of the other Districts combined (Napoleon & Fostoria), 3 out of those 23 schools had a winning percentage that high.

To me, that just doesn’t seem right. Players, teams, coaches, and communities would give anything for a chance to win a State Championship, and with the way the current format is set up by the Northwest District Athletic Board, a lot of them do not have a fair and equal path to State.

Taken from the site itself

And for this I would agree that a ranking for the region is needed. Geography should not lock 8 of the Top 10 teams of a Region into a district. Not after 2020, when teams traveled to home sites for a sectional and some went 45 mins to an hour.

Look at this district

Last edited:

And for this I would agree that a ranking for the region is needed. Geography should not lock 8 of the Top 10 teams of a Region into a district. Not after 2020, when teams traveled to home sites for a sectional and some went 45 mins to an hour.
I don't know much about those districts, so I am just speaking complete hypotheticals, making assertions about who is better based on winning % alone is incorrect. It may be representative of better teams in his scenario, but I have seen many years where a team in SWOH comes into the tournament .500 but they get a top five seed because of their schedule. I have also seen Dayton D2 be so loaded that multiple teams in it could have won state so a region ranking would have been better. Point being record alone can't be the only factor.

Right. Mission creep. I get it, and it’s the reason I’m not in favor of using the Martin RPI. I don’t think it’s more fair or effective than coaches voting, and I HATE the idea of automatic bracket placement.
Are you a hs head coach? If you are you will have a vote at some point. If not, then you will probably be upset.

I get the feeling at times that you pretend I said something I didn't just so you don't have to concede a point ;)

Check out D3 Norwalk Seeds - 1 Col Crawford/2 Reserve/3 Willard/4 Elmwood

1 seed went in the top bracket and the next two went in the bottom which left 4 with really only one option, jump in with 1 and play them in the district semi. If they were the 2 or the 3 seed they could have avoided the 1 until the district final. Seeding does not just impact the first couple games, it has an impact on every game out to the regional final.
I'll admit that I do not understand what you are trying to say. There is no scenario that a team in the district with Lima Sr would have a opportunity because of seeding the play Lima Sr in a sectional game or in a regional game.

Great example, and all 4 teams were seeded within the same district bracket. There is no scenario any of them them could have played each other in a regional game.
Ok, than the difference between playing Lima Senior in the "sectional final" or the regional semi

Look at this district
That is a little misleading because the Elida district is not what is tough. Ottawa Glandorf is.

I'll admit that I do not understand what you are trying to say. There is no scenario that a team in the district with Lima Sr would have a opportunity because of seeding the play Lima Sr in a sectional game or in a regional game.

Great example, and all 4 teams were seeded within the same district bracket. There is no scenario any of them them could have played each other in a regional game.
Earlier you said seeding only impacts the first couple games.......In D1 the seeds were Lima Sr/Northview/Perrysburg/Whitmer. Lima Sr and Northview didn't meet until the Regional semi because they were the first two seeds. If Perrysburg would have been the 2 Lima Sr and Northview may have played in the District final. The games out to regionals are impacted, in part, by the order of the seeding.

That is why I changed the scenario to playing in the district semi instead of the district final in my D3 example. Point still being games throughout the tournament are impacted by seeding

Earlier you said seeding only impacts the first couple games.......In D1 the seeds were Lima Sr/Northview/Perrysburg/Whitmer. Lima Sr and Northview didn't meet until the Regional semi because they were the first two seeds. If Perrysburg would have been the 2 Lima Sr and Northview may have played in the District final. The games out to regionals are impacted, in part, by the order of the seeding.

That is why I changed the scenario to playing in the district semi instead of the district final in my D3 example. Point still being games throughout the tournament are impacted by seeding
D1 is a little different that the other divisions due to the limited number of D1 schools in some areas of the NW region. They seed every D1 team together and allow them to pick either district since there is only enough D1 teams for two districts. I understand what you are saying now. I am more familiar with the smaller schools as I have never been involved with D1 tournament in the NW.

I disagree that OHSAA regional games are directly impacted by seeding. I agree it can change the teams but I still feel the cream will rise to the higher levels. To me the tournament is about the better teams advancing and the RPI does nothing to stop that regardless of the seed.

In the NW there have been some years when 2 of the top teams of the region were in the same district. Made for a great District final.

I disagree that OHSAA regional games are directly impacted by seeding. I agree it can change the teams but I still feel the cream will rise to the higher levels. To me the tournament is about the better teams advancing and the RPI does nothing to stop that regardless of the seed.

In the NW there have been some years when 2 of the top teams of the region were in the same district. Made for a great District final.
Not directly, but seeding which leads to team placement determines which teams will potentially play each other in the regionals. That makes accurate seeding really important.

Not directly, but seeding which leads to team placement determines which teams will potentially play each other in the regionals. That makes accurate seeding really important.
Placement in the NW determines sectional and district games. As you have already seen, there are 11 #1 seeded boy's teams in the NW. That seed has more impact on the sectional games and maybe district games then the Regional. The best team in the district will determine who plays at regional, not a seeding. #1 vs #2 is decided in district. It can also be #2 vs #5 if the best team is seeding #5 by the RPI. Either way it will be decided in the sectional or district games.

Placement in the NW determines sectional and district games. As you have already seen, there are 11 #1 seeded boy's teams in the NW. That seed has more impact on the sectional games and maybe district games then the Regional. The best team in the district will determine who plays at regional, not a seeding. #1 vs #2 is decided in district. It can also be #2 vs #5 if the best team is seeding #5 by the RPI. Either way it will be decided in the sectional or district games.
I feel like you are trying really hard to not acknowledge the point.

It is very clear the teams that win a district championship play in the regional. How is every game in the sectional/district/regional decided? The coaches vote on seeds and then in that order they place themselves on a completely blank bracket which creates potential match-ups. If I am the 6 seed my potential match-ups in the tournament will look much different than if I am the three seed because two additional teams went on the bracket before me. Therefore my path if I am the 3 seed could avoid Taft until the regional final. But if I am the 6 seed I may have to play them in the districts, if we both win, because the 2, 3, 4 and 5 seeds went in the other bracket and I don't want to go with them.

I feel like you are trying really hard to not acknowledge the point.

It is very clear the teams that win a district championship play in the regional. How is every game in the sectional/district/regional decided? The coaches vote on seeds and then in that order they place themselves on a completely blank bracket which creates potential match-ups. If I am the 6 seed my potential match-ups in the tournament will look much different than if I am the three seed because two additional teams went on the bracket before me. Therefore my path if I am the 3 seed could avoid Taft until the regional final. But if I am the 6 seed I may have to play them in the districts, if we both win, because the 2, 3, 4 and 5 seeds went in the other bracket and I don't want to go with them.
I'm not avoiding anything but I am trying to stay topic. The RPI if accepted with determine seeding. If we agree there will be a difference between the results from coach voting and the RPI formula, I see it being resolved before or at least by district finals. To me the seeding determines who your first few games are against. When you forecast out to the regional spots, everyone in multiple districts has a chance to be there. By the time we see regional games those teams have to be playing very well and their sectional seeding is irrelevant by that point. IMO

You keep going to Taft to make your point even though you know this whole discussion is because OHSAA is looking for a possible way to make the basketball tournaments similar to the football playoff where everything is uniformed for everyone. If Taft is the #1 team in the state and CHCA is the #2 team in the state, that will make one outstanding District final.