Martin RPI

I'm not avoiding anything but I am trying to stay topic. The RPI if accepted with determine seeding. If we agree there will be a difference between the results from coach voting and the RPI formula, I see it being resolved before or at least by district finals. To me the seeding determines who your first few games are against. When you forecast out to the regional spots, everyone in multiple districts has a chance to be there. By the time we see regional games those teams have to be playing very well and their sectional seeding is irrelevant by that point. IMO

You keep going to Taft to make your point even though you know this whole discussion is because OHSAA is looking for a possible way to make the basketball tournaments similar to the football playoff where everything is uniformed for everyone. If Taft is the #1 team in the state and CHCA is the #2 team in the state, that will make one outstanding District final.
I give up ....it is clear to anyone in those meetings the impact the tournament match-ups have and how those are impacted by seeding.

Again, we have no documented proof that OHSAA wants everyone to use this or that all the districts like it, except for posters saying so. The only facts are that the NW coaches voted to use it and its rankings were amazingly inaccurate for D3 last year 😄

I give up ....it is clear to anyone in those meetings the impact the tournament match-ups have and how those are impacted by seeding.

Again, we have no documented proof that OHSAA wants everyone to use this or that all the districts like it, except for posters saying so. The only facts are that the NW coaches voted to use it and its rankings were amazingly inaccurate for D3 last year 😄
Having been a part of those meetings for many years I agree and respect the value the seeding has. But it is all about early match-ups. If their is a coach in the room who feels he will be playing on a regional court or beyond, the seeding is not important(other then a sign of respect) since he is going to work his way thru the sectional and district teams regardless. In my experience the seeding and bracket placement can be more important for lower seeds trying to win a single game or two. Many coaches in competitive districts would rather be a 3-5 seed. If you are hands down the best team in the district, you don't care what seed you are. Other than being respected by your fellow coaches being voted #1.

Many things the OHSAA rolls out is not documented in your paper but it happens thru coach meetings and coaching association voting. Be ready.

Having been a part of those meetings for many years I agree and respect the value the seeding has. But it is all about early match-ups. If their is a coach in the room who feels he will be playing on a regional court or beyond, the seeding is not important(other then a sign of respect) since he is going to work his way thru the sectional and district teams regardless. In my experience the seeding and bracket placement can be more important for lower seeds trying to win a single game or two. Many coaches in competitive districts would rather be a 3-5 seed. If you are hands down the best team in the district, you don't care what seed you are. Other than being respected by your fellow coaches being voted #1.

Many things the OHSAA rolls out is not documented in your paper but it happens thru coach meetings and coaching association voting. Be ready.
Getting the 1 is so much more important than just respect. For example....

Everyone who follows D4 basketball down here knows that historically the Piqua sectional is a gauntlet, the Troy sectional is pretty tough and the Cincy sectional is ok. Last year one bracket in the troy sectional played Piqua in the districts and one played Cincy. Tri-Village and Catholic Central were clearly the two best teams in Troy. Tri Village got the 1 seed and played a Cincy team in the districts and won by 35 and a Columbus team in the Regional semi and won by 22. Catholic Central got the 2 and had to play a tough Jackson Center team in Districts and then lost by 14 to Botkins in the regional semi. Highly likely CC has an easier path to regionals and plays in a regional final if they were the 1 and not the 2. Maybe TV beats Botkins in the reg semi and CC beats TV to go to state?? Seeding impacts the tournament all the way through the regional final.

Getting the 1 is so much more important than just respect. For example....

Everyone who follows D4 basketball down here knows that historically the Piqua sectional is a gauntlet, the Troy sectional is pretty tough and the Cincy sectional is ok. Last year one bracket in the troy sectional played Piqua in the districts and one played Cincy. Tri-Village and Catholic Central were clearly the two best teams in Troy. Tri Village got the 1 seed and played a Cincy team in the districts and won by 35 and a Columbus team in the Regional semi and won by 22. Catholic Central got the 2 and had to play a tough Jackson Center team in Districts and then lost by 14 to Botkins in the regional semi. Highly likely CC has an easier path to regionals and plays in a regional final if they were the 1 and not the 2. Maybe TV beats Botkins in the reg semi and CC beats TV to go to state?? Seeding impacts the tournament all the way through the regional final.
Again you are using the SW layout where you play super sectionals and then match up with another for a district title. Most of the districts in the state have a district champ from the 10-15 teams inside their district. IF the SW would have a Piqua champ ad a Troy champ then it would be closer to apples and apples around the state. Not everyone but most play 2 sectional games and 2 district games to have a district champ.

Again you are using the SW layout where you play super sectionals and then match up with another for a district title. Most of the districts in the state have a district champ from the 10-15 teams inside their district. IF the SW would have a Piqua champ ad a Troy champ then it would be closer to apples and apples around the state. Not everyone but most play 2 sectional games and 2 district games to have a district champ.
You are failing to see that a similar match-up scenario (I played someone harder earlier because I was a lower seed) can take place in any bracket, at any point through regionals in any part of the state.

The district finals in every single bracket in Ohio are a result of who wins the games that are determined by placement which is determined by seeding. Every game in the tournament before the final four was born out of seeding/placement. If you can't grasp that by now there is no other way to describe it for you.

You are failing to see that a similar match-up scenario (I played someone harder earlier because I was a lower seed) can take place in any bracket, at any point through regionals in any part of the state.

The district finals in every single bracket in Ohio are a result of who wins the games that are determined by placement which is determined by seeding. Every game in the tournament before the final four was born out of seeding/placement. If you can't grasp that by now there is no other way to describe it for you.
High or low seeds can play at any time in the tournament and teams get hot and we have seen 8th seeds do well. Asa few of us have said, the cream will rise regardless of the seeding.

I deal with seeding every year and have for quite a few. Last year if Taft was the #1 seed in their sectional or the #5 seed would have been irrelevant for them.

Maybe you guys should do whatever the opposite of getting a room is. LOL. I can't keep track of who said what but here's my opinion. And I won't argue it with either of you because there are so many more important things in life.

If it comes down to a formula or voting, coaches will do whatever they feel is best for their teams, regardless of trying to win one early game or avoiding someone until regional finals (SWOH). If it gets seeded ala NCAA based on a formula, I don't think it will pass a coach vote.

High or low seeds can play at any time in the tournament and teams get hot and we have seen 8th seeds do well. Asa few of us have said, the cream will rise regardless of the seeding.

I deal with seeding every year and have for quite a few. Last year if Taft was the #1 seed in their sectional or the #5 seed would have been irrelevant for them.
I've tried every way I know how to explain how important match-ups are in the tnmt (any tnmt) and you continue to reply about upsets :confused:

I've tried every way I know how to explain how important match-ups are in the tnmt (any tnmt) and you continue to reply about upsets :confused:
Has anyone denied how important match-ups are? Coaches are always looking for what they feel is the best match-up for their teams. What I'm trying to get you to understand is that an unfavorable seeding is not the end of a team's season. If you get the 5 seed and I get the 7th, I can still win and move on. Had Taft actually received the 3rd seed in one of the SW sectionals they would have not been doomed to lose. Coaches will jockey for position regardless of their seed. Many coaches would rather be the 3rd-5th seed so they can see some where some of the good teams are going. Being the #1 seed only gets you a venue and time if they have them pre-listed on the bracket.

I do enjoy finding out which coaches' votes are driven by their egos or which coaches don't put any effort into voting. Usually the same coaches every year.

I do enjoy finding out which coaches' votes are driven by their egos or which coaches don't put any effort into voting. Usually the same coaches every year.
You have to give credit to the Northeast District for showing how coaches voted. Too bad the other 5 districts around the state aren't as transparent.

You have to give credit to the Northeast District for showing how coaches voted. Too bad the other 5 districts around the state aren't as transparent.
Some districts do everything online using Baumspage. I'm not sure if everyone does or not.

In the NW district you (the coach(es)) are able to see how other coaches in your district voted.

Has anyone denied how important match-ups are? Coaches are always looking for what they feel is the best match-up for their teams. What I'm trying to get you to understand is that an unfavorable seeding is not the end of a team's season. If you get the 5 seed and I get the 7th, I can still win and move on. Had Taft actually received the 3rd seed in one of the SW sectionals they would have not been doomed to lose. Coaches will jockey for position regardless of their seed. Many coaches would rather be the 3rd-5th seed so they can see some where some of the good teams are going. Being the #1 seed only gets you a venue and time if they have them pre-listed on the bracket.
My last 6 posts have been in response to you saying "seeding doesn't matter after the first couple games". Seeding leads to placement which leads to every potential match-up in the tournament through regionals.

My last 6 posts have been in response to you saying "seeding doesn't matter after the first couple games". Seeding leads to placement which leads to every potential match-up in the tournament through regionals.
So you feel seeding is the reason teams make it to regionals. I think the most talented teams make it to regionals.

So you feel seeding is the reason teams make it to regionals. I think the most talented teams make it to regionals.
You appear to be deliberately misconstruing what he said. He clearly said seeding is the first domino, which leads to others. He didn’t says it’s ‘the’ reason.

You appear to be deliberately misconstruing what he said. He clearly said seeding is the first domino, which leads to others. He didn’t says it’s ‘the’ reason.
First domino and biggest domino is TALENT. You need the Jimmy’s and Joes. Talent can be 5-8 kids buying into a system and playing very well together or 1-3 studs who carry the team. Bobby Knight said it best when he said “some people think/say I am a pretty good coach. However, I am a heck of a lot better when I have talented kids to coach”. Never heard a coach say if we were the 6th seed instead of 10 we would have won the title…

Seeding is the first domino set without a doubt. The next is bracket placement. But as those dominos start to fall it becomes less and less about where they began.

Clearly teams must win to advance and that is MOST important. Again, I have been responding to you saying "Seeding can be a factor for maybe the first 2 games of tournament".

In my D4 scenario if CC gets the 1 seed there is a 99% likelihood that their season lasts longer because of the path they could have chosen, maybe even getting them to UD. My only point is the seeding, because it impacts potential match-ups, impacts the whole regional tournament.

First domino and biggest domino is TALENT. You need the Jimmy’s and Joes. Talent can be 5-8 kids buying into a system and playing very well together or 1-3 studs who carry the team. Bobby Knight said it best when he said “some people think/say I am a pretty good coach. However, I am a heck of a lot better when I have talented kids to coach”. Never heard a coach say if we were the 6th seed instead of 10 we would have won the title…
True, but I have definitely heard coaches say if we got the X seed instead of X seed we could have gone farther because of match-ups. That is especially true the deeper into the seeds you go.

True, but I have definitely heard coaches say if we got the X seed instead of X seed we could have gone farther because of match-ups. That is especially true the deeper into the seeds you
So with that philosophy (I need a higher seed because my Jimmy and joes suck) all you need to do is schedule a bunch of cupcakes out of conference so the computer gives you a higher seed.