Martin RPI

NWO every other sport in the tournament has the higher seed host until the District except for basketball. To me, its time for basketball to follow suit with volleyball, soccer and baseball/softball. Finding venues wont be a problem at 6:00 PM
I wouldn’t be on board for this. The sports you list generally have far fewer fans there, thus negating much of the home court/field advantage. In my area, at least, sectional basketball games are very well attended and I think giving home court to one team would be too much of an advantage.

From the comments in this thread it seems like everyone should be following the SWOH way, not trying to change it.

My suspicion is you will be correct and the RPI will be adopted across the state bc those in Columbus want it. Talking to others around here it sounds like it is being pushed HARD by the leaders in Columbus and therefore district directors. Sounds similar to the newspaper article that was on here a few pages back where the coaches in NWO expressed the same sentiment.
Years ago the SWO group along with some AD's, were pushing to go to automatic bracketing like the NCAA. That was shut down by those in Columbus.

I'm hearing the Columbus crew has stated repeatedly they would like to see a system developed similar to football that could be used across the state for seeding. The coaches and district directors are trying to be pro-active in doing this under their control before the central Ohio crew takes over and does it without input.

I wouldn’t be on board for this. The sports you list generally have far fewer fans there, thus negating much of the home court/field advantage. In my area, at least, sectional basketball games are very well attended and I think giving home court to one team would be too much of an advantage.
Again it would be like the football set up.

In NWO we have always used neutral sites for sectionals and districts generally go to Univ of Toledo/BGSU. But true, I would say in the past 10 years or so finding host sites has been difficult. I know talking with the AD's especially on the girls side these sectional games are losing money with the extra costs of the tournament sites. In the past few years it seems like Millbury Lake and Toledo Central Catholic really take on a lot of the games on both the girls and boys side with them both hosting sectionals and girls districts for multiple divisions.
Toledo has not hosted a district tournament since 2020. Got too expensive and there were potential scheduling conflicts. Bowling Green last hosted a district tournament in 2017 but continues to host regional tournaments.

Isn't that one of the perks of being a higher seed? Advantage

I'm pretty sure that CO, NEO, EO and SEO are all doing high seed host. NWO used to have multiple schools asking to host and now have been calling schools each year to host.
NE District has been high seed hosts in 1st 2 rounds for about 7 years now. I think the main reason NE made the change was that attendance at neutral site sectional games was decreasing (because neutral site implies everyone must travel), so the hope is to cut their losses on attendance and try to make a profit on the backs of the home crowd. If I read correctly, the NE pays $500 to the host school for a sectional game.

NWO every other sport in the tournament has the higher seed host until the District except for basketball. To me, its time for basketball to follow suit with volleyball, soccer and baseball/softball. Finding venues wont be a problem at 6:00 PM
That's the same as SWO to the best of my knowledge. Basketball is handled differently. In SWO it seems to work fine though.

Central, East, Northeast, and Southeast Districts play sectional games at the higher seed and district games at neutral sites. And has been mentioned previously, the Northwest and Southwest Districts use neutral sites for both the sectionals and districts.

Only the Southeast District uses NCAA bracketing where teams are assigned to a slot on the bracket. They have 20 teams in D2 this year but only one team advances to the regionals. Top 4 seeds all have byes. In theory, the #1 seed could play the #16 seed in a sectional final while the #4 seed could get the #20 seed in a sectional final.

I think it's interesting to see the different ways the tournament is conducted around the state by the various districts. Personally I enjoy having neutral sites throughout the tournament. I like being able to watch more than one game if I want. Especially if the next game is our next opponent. I know the coaches usually scout during this time as well.

I also like the home field for the higher seed in other sports in SWO. I can see why people like that too.

But my personal preference may not be everyone else's.

I think it's interesting to see the different ways the tournament is conducted around the state by the various districts. Personally I enjoy having neutral sites throughout the tournament. I like being able to watch more than one game if I want. Especially if the next game is our next opponent. I know the coaches usually scout during this time as well.

I also like the home field for the higher seed in other sports in SWO. I can see why people like that too.

But my personal preference may not be everyone else's.
I like neutral sites from the start too. But it was tough some years ago watching blowouts at UD that were barely attended. But the switch to neutral high school courts made the games feel more like tournament games and I'm guessing better atmosphere for the players. Plus interested locals show up.

Years ago the SWO group along with some AD's, were pushing to go to automatic bracketing like the NCAA. That was shut down by those in Columbus.

I'm hearing the Columbus crew has stated repeatedly they would like to see a system developed similar to football that could be used across the state for seeding. The coaches and district directors are trying to be pro-active in doing this under their control before the central Ohio crew takes over and does it without input.
Years ago.,,,,,,,years ago SW only seeded 4 teams . Those teams took their places in the brackets, opposite of each other, then the rest were drawn out of a hat randomly and placed on the board. So it was not all that unusual to have very competitive first round games, which now seems a thing of the past.

Years ago.,,,,,,,years ago SW only seeded 4 teams . Those teams took their places in the brackets, opposite of each other, then the rest were drawn out of a hat randomly and placed on the board. So it was not all that unusual to have very competitive first round games, which now seems a thing of the past.
When I said years ago I meant 6-8 years ago, not decades. That method was complained about often. In our area they seeded 2 teams. If the top 3-4 were pretty good you could have 2 top teams getting a high number in the draw and having to wait to place themselves until later in the process and playing one of the two top seeded teams. Made for great first round games but we had some mad coaches some times back then.

When I said years ago I meant 6-8 years ago, not decades. That method was complained about often. In our area they seeded 2 teams. If the top 3-4 were pretty good you could have 2 top teams getting a high number in the draw and having to wait to place themselves until later in the process and playing one of the two top seeded teams. Made for great first round games but we had some mad coaches some times back then.
The coaches I know from SW really liked that method. It protected the 1 seed being they could face no higher than the 5 seed opening round, and kept games more competitive. We say we would like super sectionals for D4 , but what if all the better teams avoided the top two or three seeds and games vs the top seeds were 1 vs 28 and if they win they get the 26 vs 19 winner? That's what we see in some if the sectionals that are super sectionals. Then you get an entire bracket of teams with 50%-75% winning percentage, where all the "good" games are played.

The coaches I know from SW really liked that method. It protected the 1 seed being they could face no higher than the 5 seed opening round, and kept games more competitive. We say we would like super sectionals for D4 , but what if all the better teams avoided the top two or three seeds and games vs the top seeds were 1 vs 28 and if they win they get the 26 vs 19 winner? That's what we see in some if the sectionals that are super sectionals. Then you get an entire bracket of teams with 50%-75% winning percentage, where all the "good" games are played.
I would enjoy seeing the areas across the state being divided into set districts by location. So the entire state had winners from an area. In parts of the state you can have neighboring schools playing in regional finals. To me that should have been decided much earlier. District voting or seeding to me should be a max of 15 teams. Just my thoughts.

I would enjoy seeing the areas across the state being divided into set districts by location. So the entire state had winners from an area. In parts of the state you can have neighboring schools playing in regional finals. To me that should have been decided much earlier. District voting or seeding to me should be a max of 15 teams. Just my thoughts.
Until a few years after going to the higher seed hosting sectional games, NE District used to pre-assign teams to their respective district tournament, and it was generally done by geography. That method of doing business went away primarily because of the likelihood of ending up with 1 or 2 of the district tournaments being stacked. I am generally "old school" and was of the mind that you should prove you're the best team in your back yard before you get to take the next step, but I understand the frustration of the once in a decade or once in a generation teams that couldn't get out of districts all because St. V. ended up being assigned to Canton that year instead of Stow.

Last night 107th ranked Indian Lake beat 14th ranked Carlisle by 11, but those there said the game was over mid 3rd quarter and Indian Lake was clearly the better team. To be fair the coaches seeded Indian Lake 11th so they missed on that one as well.

Also, Pick Central beat Pick North by 3 last night. Hope they can move up from 16th in Ohio and 6th in Columbus. They are undefeated against Columbus teams.

Last night 107th ranked Indian Lake beat 14th ranked Carlisle by 11, but those there said the game was over mid 3rd quarter and Indian Lake was clearly the better team. To be fair the coaches seeded Indian Lake 11th so they missed on that one as well.

Also, Pick Central beat Pick North by 3 last night. Hope they can move up from 16th in Ohio and 6th in Columbus. They are undefeated against Columbus teams.
Shouldn't we be focused on NWO and how their tournament goes? They are the only ones that agreed prior to the season to use the Martin RPI. So no other part of the state has planned their season around the computer rankings. That means there will inherently be more outliers across the rest of the state. You pointing them out doesn't really prove anything, except you having this weird grade school chip on your shoulder.

Also, PC won by 3. Doesn't really make them out to be the powerhouse you keep touting them as. Yes, of course it will move them up. Your sarcasm isnt needed for that to happen. Maybe don't schedule a meaningful game so late in the season that it's after the tournament draw. I'm assuming this is also a rivalry game as well.

So what you are saying is the SW coaches did a poor job of seeding the IL team and we need to find a better method. :p

Shouldn't we be focused on NWO and how their tournament goes? They are the only ones that agreed prior to the season to use the Martin RPI. So no other part of the state has planned their season around the computer rankings. That means there will inherently be more outliers across the rest of the state. You pointing them out doesn't really prove anything, except you having this weird grade school chip on your shoulder.

Also, PC won by 3. Doesn't really make them out to be the powerhouse you keep touting them as. Yes, of course it will move them up. Your sarcasm isnt needed for that to happen. Maybe don't schedule a meaningful game so late in the season that it's after the tournament draw. I'm assuming this is also a rivalry game as well.
Settle down, just trying to get the thread alive again now that tournament has started here.

But to respond, highly doubtful many teams in NWO planned their season around the RPI since most schedules were probably already done a couple years ago

Checking in here from NWO- This year is an odd year to compare since there is so much parity with teams 1-10 this year but I would say it probably played out close to what a coaches vote would have (with the exception of Tiffin but they did recently beat Findlay!) Looking at next year up here will be even more interesting as one of the strongest conferences (TRAC) is dissolving. So the three Catholic schools (Toledo CC, St Johns, St Francis) are all moving to the Detroit Catholic League in Michigan, I'm not sure of that schedule but the majority of their games will be Michigan schools. The remaining TRAC teams are going to the NLL (Northern Lakes League) and that will have a large school division and small school division-even though the small school division will be mostly D1 teams as well. Lima Sr who traditionally had a strong schedule in the TRAC now will be in the Toledo Public League which will weakened their RPI with many of those teams being weak.

Settle down, just trying to get the thread alive again now that tournament has started here.

But to respond, highly doubtful many teams in NWO planned their season around the RPI since most schedules were probably already done a couple years ago
Not one team in the NW planned a season around the RPI that is for sure. But it appears to have come out about as expected. I have heard a few coaches make claims that a team may have been moved a spot up or down but not heard many complaints other then coaches of bad teams that feel a single win should have jumped them up 10 spots.

Obviously Carlisle did not play a very demanding schedule shouldn't have this RPI picked up on that. IL is not very good.
Agree with you on the RPI picking up Carlisle's bad schedule. They were 1-3 against what my eye says are solid teams. But some of those other teams had respectable records because of their own schedule.

Kind of agree with you on Indian Lake, I think they have a shot to knock off Miami East in the District semi. But if you contain their two guys they may not get to 40.

Obviously Carlisle did not play a very demanding schedule shouldn't have this RPI picked up on that. IL is not very good.
Their SOS was 91 before yesterday. It seems like a bad SOS doesn't has much effect on RPI as you would think. Preble Shawnee SOS is #139 and they are 23rd in RPI They are 19-3 and do have several 4 and 5 loss teams ahead of them in the RPI so maybe the SOS is hurting them some

Their SOS was 91 before yesterday. It seems like a bad SOS doesn't has much effect on RPI as you would think. Preble Shawnee SOS is #139 and they are 23rd in RPI They are 19-3 and do have several 4 and 5 loss teams ahead of them in the RPI so maybe the SOS is hurting them some
In that comparison, PS #23 and Carlisle 14th, keep in mind PS dominated Carlisle head-to-head on their own floor earlier this season. So maybe sos is weighted more than head-to-head? Actually, is head-to-head even considered @spirit454?