3. Marion Local plenty of size but need to find a pt. guard
4. Minster: good talent but Stephy may be out for awhile
5. Versailles
6. New Bremen
7 Ft. Recovery
8. Coldwater
9. Parkway
10. New Knoxville
Any of the top 4 teams could win the league.

Okay, you look lonely. I'll play. :)

Your list looks pretty good. Our biggest loss at DSJ was Grothaus at PG. But we've got a soph who is pretty good and a better 3-point shooter. DSJ could have a few more sophs getting some varsity time with Elwer. And as usual not a lot of size. I'm anxious to see if we run a little more than in the past. Elwer should score his 1,000th point this year.
'Jays have St. Henry and Marion Local at home but at Minster. And I'm really pumped for our game at the OG Classic vs Dayton Dunbar. Hoping I can get to a few away games.

BTW: it's the 100th anniversary of our first state team in1924 and the 75th anniversary of our first state championship in 1949. Should be a fun season.

1. Marion Local- I trust Kurt to figure out the backcourt
2. St. John's- they have one of the best players in the state
3. Minster- Stephey (when healthly), Albers should be a good duo.
4. St. Henry- they return everyone
5. Versailles
6. New Bremen
7. Coldwater
8. Parkway
9. Fort Recovery
10. New Knoxville

Elwer carried this team and needed more help last year……he will get that help this year…..heard they have a secret weapon who can shoot lights out…..his father shared this with me……Go Jays!!!

New Knoxville has 22 players on their roster this season. 5 seniors. For the first time in a LONG time they will play a few freshman games. The past 2-3 seasons they have struggled with numbers. Good to see their numbers increasing.

With the 8th grade class being freshman next year. Hopefully that number stays the same. I see 7 or 8 wins for NK this year, but keep an eye on the Rangers in the next 2-3 years.

SH got a good win last night against a good Spencerville team. Really had no business winning it, being down 10 at a point in the 4th. First game jitters for sure, just playing 1000 mph that causes some dumb mistakes. However, once we really get into the swing of things this may be a league contender. We can score with anyone.

My interest was piqued by Parkway’s close loss to Wayne Trace. Parkway’s main problem is they do not know how to finish close games and win. Also surprised by St Henry’s loss.

Russia only beat Jackson Center by eight Friday. So I guess it'll be another year the SCL is stronger than the MAC in hoops, it St. Henry is really the best.

Going off OP saying St. Henry supposed to be the best.

Yes, they did, I remember. Was a shocker, because Jackson smoked Marion.
Also posted any of the top 4 teams in the MAC could win the league and SH still might. Both MAC and SCAL are good leagues. This is a MAC thread if you want post about the SCAL not sure what the SCL is go ahead and start a SCAL thread.

Last edited:
My interest was piqued by Parkway’s close loss to Wayne Trace. Parkway’s main problem is they do not know how to finish close games and win. Also surprised by St Henry’s loss.
Parkway will be better than people are giving them credit for this year. They are deep, rotated 10 guys constantly saturday night. Game was tied with a few minutes to go and a 3 point game with 1:30. Missed some shots late and had to foul. Wayne Trace will be in the Regionals again this year. Parkway plays very hard. Was impressive.

Parkway will be better than people are giving them credit for this year. They are deep, rotated 10 guys constantly saturday night. Game was tied with a few minutes to go and a 3 point game with 1:30. Missed some shots late and had to foul. Wayne Trace will be in the Regionals again this year. Parkway plays very hard. Was impressive.
Yes, will be WT vs OG again at BGSU.

Hoping Parkway can put together a good season.

Also posted any of the top 4 teams in the MAC could win the league and SH still might. Both MAC and SCAL are good leagues. This is a MAC thread if you want post about the SCAL not sure what the SCL is go ahead and start a SCAL thread.
You bring up SCL teams vs. MAC results, people who follow SCL may chime in.

And everyone refers to it as SCL. Never once have I heard someone say: "Shelby County Athletic League."

As Stirred said, ML should be strong if (and only if) someone emerges as a point guard. Maybe Daniel Everman or Mitchell Ranly will do well at the 1.

I also think there's an outside chance soph Oliver Huelsman will see some varsity minutes since Kyle Ungruhn is not going out. Huelsman has adequate size 6'2" 190 and the football physicality to be a defender against bigger guys when Niekamp or Knapke is not on the floor.

I think the Flyers will miss Ungruhn somewhat.

Last edited:
WBL vs MAC tonight (12 - 9), with WBL winning 3 out of 4 games.
Elida 54 - DSJ 47
Shawnee 79 St. Henry 68 OT
St. Marys 72 New Bremen 56
Minster 49 Wapak 32
Other MAC scores:
Coldwater 51 Jackson Center 41
Fort Recovery 50 Bradford 49
New Knoxville 57 Fairlawn 41
Crestview 54 Parkway 45

St Henry may not be the best... but Russia will get to State this year
I get your basic point, but basketball is so much more fickle than football. One bad shooting night and a team favored by 10 points will be sitting home early. Russia is among 4 or 5 teams who will challenge for the regional title.

I get your basic point, but basketball is so much more fickle than football. One bad shooting night and a team favored by 10 points will be sitting home early. Russia is among 4 or 5 teams who will challenge for the regional title.
who are the other teams down south who you think will challenge them for the regional title?