MAC

and he is a heckva baseball player? did he play JH football?
He did not play JH football although the way defenses are pounding on him right now it might feel like it. And yes, he is a heckuva baseball player. He was one of, I think, 4 freshmen who started on the Blue Jays regional team last year.

who are the other teams down south who you think will challenge them for the regional title?
I'm not as personally close to the game as I once was, but most years you could figure on 2-3 SCAL teams having the potential to reach a regional final. This year Riverside is off to a quick start, and Troy Christian is fairly strong as well and faces Russia in a couple weeks. Does the Wapak district go to the south west regional this year? If so there is probably a MAC school that could reach the finals as well.

One thing about SCAL vs other conferences, SCAL schools without football tend to hit the ground running when the basketball season starts. They have opportunity for their athletes to focus on basketball way earlier than other football small schools. Franklin Monroe in the WOAC is one such school that often starts very strong compared to how they finish. Scores this early in the season mean little overall. After the new year I start to really pay more attention to who is excelling.

I'm not as personally close to the game as I once was, but most years you could figure on 2-3 SCAL teams having the potential to reach a regional final. This year Riverside is off to a quick start, and Troy Christian is fairly strong as well and faces Russia in a couple weeks. Does the Wapak district go to the south west regional this year? If so there is probably a MAC school that could reach the finals as well.
According to this link, the Wapak district will once again go north to BGSU. The last time the Wapak district went south was 2019 when St Henry made it to state out of the SW district and Crestview made it out of the NW district. There have been several years where the Elida district winner goes to state through BGSU along with the Wapak district winner going to state through the SW regional. You can see how physically close some of these schools are, where if you send Wapak north, you don't get teams that are as close.

2019 - St Henry (SW) Crestview (NW)
2018 - Marion (SW) Pandora Gilboa (NW)
2017 - Lima Perry (SW) Del St John’s (NW)
2009 - Ada (SW) Kalida (NW)
2008 - New Knoxville (SW) Wayne Trace (NW)
2005 - Minster (SW) Continental (NW)
2003 - Marion (SW) Crestview (NW)
2000 - St Henry (SW) Fort Jennings (NW)

Not a conspiracy theorist, but I do wonder. If you take a 1-2 county radius around Lima, there are a ton of good basketball schools from the PCL, NWC, MAC, and SCAL. In 2021 you had Botkins vs Columbus Grove for the state finals. Now I do realize Botkins always goes SW, but still relatively close. There are just some years where St Henry, Wayne Trace, or LCC have jumped between D-3 and D-4 and that can really impact who goes to state, especially if they all happen to fall into D-4.

Last edited:
Troy Christian is the only team who can challenge them for the SW Ohio regional. No one else is close to that level. Not sure even they are at Russia’s level.

Botkins, JC and Cedarville are probably the other contenders in D4 to make it to regional. Riverside won't even finish in top half of TRC.

Hey MACers, who else is supposed to be good in NW D4? Crestview lost a lot, right?

Troy Christian is the only team who can challenge them for the SW Ohio regional. No one else is close to that level. Not sure even they are at Russia’s level.

Botkins, JC and Cedarville are probably the other contenders in D4 to make it to regional. Riverside won't even finish in top half of TRC.

Hey MACers, who else is supposed to be good in NW D4? Crestview lost a lot, right?
DSJ will probably come out of the Elida district, but Ottoville, Crestview, or Grove could win it too. There are always great games in the Elida district with those teams listed above. Usually a team from Toledo is undefeated coming into the BGSU regional but loses in the regional.

Last edited:

Ft Loramie?

I just threw Riverside in there because I was surprised they knocked off what should be a pretty decent Bethel team. They also got drilled by Botkins, but again, Botkins likely had a head start on a program that went a couple extra weeks into the football season.

Ft Loramie?

I just threw Riverside in there because I was surprised they knocked off what should be a pretty decent Bethel team. They also got drilled by Botkins, but again, Botkins likely had a head start on a program that went a couple extra weeks into the football season.
Fort Loramie is going to be pretty bad, I think. Had a huge senior class last year. Bunch of new players and new coach.

which regional winner gets Richmond Hts in the state semi's,also I saw on another highschool sports site, that it's a done deal on 7 divisions next season in boys basketball tournament, anyone else hearing this also

which regional winner gets Richmond Hts in the state semi's,also I saw on another highschool sports site, that it's a done deal on 7 divisions next season in boys basketball tournament, anyone else hearing this also
Would be an absolute shame if so.

They say the ohsaa is doing it because of the disparity in D1, and of course the number 1 reason is money and greed that's all the ohsaa cares about, they don't care how water down it does by adding three more divisions

Ft Loramie?

do you know if there is talk to make MORE divisions in HS BB? heard that this past weekend

do you know if there is talk to make MORE divisions in HS BB? heard that this past weekend
Hearing it is likely moving forward, but it has not been finalized yet, or at least not publicly released yet. I hate to go all in on an idea that may get tweaked between now and its public release.

MAC scores 12/15:
Coldwater 55 St. Henry 50 OT
DSJ 70 New Knoxville 33
Parkway 33 Fort Recovery 30
Versailles 48 New Bremen 36

Last edited:
I attended the V-NB game. Not surprisingly, it was sloppy at times.

V point guard Drake Ahrens sees the floor well - made some really nice passes.

I don't know why Ungruhn quit the program.

But I do feel that, in general, players who quit supposedly because of the coach don't really want to play to begin with.

Goettemoeller is a good coach - ML is lucky to have him.
He quit mainly because of coach. We had some quit last year, a senior, three juniors, five sophomores didn't go out this year
mainly because of the coach. At least three assistant coaches have left the program mainly because of him. So I guess we will
agree to disagree.

He quit mainly because of coach. We had some quit last year, a senior, three juniors, five sophomores didn't go out this year
mainly because of the coach. At least three assistant coaches have left the program mainly because of him. So I guess we will
agree to disagree.
Not sure why players don't go out for a sport, sometimes don't like the coach sometimes just want a break between sports but it is not the coach's job to make the players like him but vice-versa.

Last edited:
Scores 12/16:
Marion Local 49 Celina 32
Fort Recovery 41 Ansonia 29
Russia 64 Minster 34
New Bremen 48 Fort Loramie 36
Versailles 53 Greenview 35
Adams Central 57 Parkway 45

agree to disagree.
I am one who also thinks we are lucky to have him. Not sure there has been a more successful coach in the MAC during his tenure in terms of wins, MAC titles, and a State title. Watch what you wish for.

Watched Parkway on nfhs saturday vs. Adams Central. The Jets could have a heck of a year. Have to be one of the top small school
teams in Indiana. Parkway is a gritty, physical team. Very unselfish. Should have a solid year.

Marion Local - Celina game, don't know if Celina had one offensive rebound for the game. Appears ML will have pt. guard by committee. Officiating has not changed 5 total fouls called in 2nd half. Coldwater early in the season is doing well may be a dark horse to be a league contender.

DSJ will probably come out of the Elida district, but Ottoville, Crestview, or Grove could win it too. There are always great games in the Elida district with those teams listed above. Usually a team from Toledo is undefeated coming into the BGSU regional but loses in the regional.
Saw the NW districts were released tonight. Parkway is in the D-4 Elida district. Columbus Grove is D-3 this year. Elida district semis will be Crestview, DSJ, Miller City, Ottoville. Depending on Parkway’s draw, they could make some noise as this district is weaker than most years. Maybe they have enough to make it to districts?

This is a bad idea, 5 is the most. Stay at 4.
I did a little more digging over the weekend. My sources, which I believe should be accurate on the AD end, say they are aware this is moving forward but the final look and presentation is not close to being ready in their opinion. We shall see what the powers that be decide.