Losing streaks?

Who are they? Wheeling Park, Parkersburg, Weirton Madonna ,and???
Wheeling Park and Parkersburg are usually thought to be underachievers.

Point Pleasant and Martinsburg, sometimes Charleston George Washington are the traditionally toughest of the AAA schools.

Between the AA and A schools, it’s usually Wheeling Central, Bridgeport, St. Mary’s and Williamstown. Everyone else is pretty blah.

Sullivan Black River is number 3 on the all-time consecutive losses list, according to ohsaa.org
Most Consecutive Losses (minimum 25)
1. 64 Youngstown North (1957-1964)
2. 55 Richmond Heights (1984-1990)
3. 53 Sullivan Black River (1961-1967)
4. 50 Cleveland Central Catholic (1994-1999)
5t. 45 Cincinnati Taft (1977-1982)
5t. 45 Ashtabula (1975-1980)
7. 43 Sebring McKinley (1985-1990)
8. 39 Ansonia (1958-1963)
9. 37 Southington Chalker (1989-1992)
10t. 35 Akron Central Hower (1996-1999)
10t. 35 Ridgeway Ridgemont (1985-1988)
12t. 34 London Madison Plains (1996-1999)
12t. 34 Montpelier (1986-1989)
14t. 33 Galion Northmor (1997-2001)
14t. 33 Lakeside Danbury (1987-1991)
16t. 30 Galion (2002-2005)
16t. 30 Columbus Linden McKinley (1995-1998)
18. 29 Delaware Hayes (1978-1980)
19. 28 Martins Ferry (1965-1968)

I know the above list came from the OHSAA website but I have always had a bit of an issue with this list as it is titled. The category is listed as Consecutive Losses however Youngstown North did not lose 64 consecutive games. They did have a 64-game winless streak but two ties are included in those 64 games. It may be a subtle difference but for me a consecutive loss streak should end with a tie or victory. They obviously counted the two ties in the total games played during the streak so why is it listed as 64 consecutive losses? Even if the two ties were not counted as games played it would span a total of 62 games not 64. The Bulldogs lost 20 in a row, had a tie, lost 25, had a tie, lost 17 and then finally got a win. Now if the category is changed to Consecutive Winless Games then North would be correct.

IMO as the category is listed Richmond Hts. holds the record with 55 consecutive losses.

FCA is horrible. They would struggle to move the ball down the field playing against tackling dummies.

Is it going to be like this in all sports for FCA? Over the last 10 years they've had plenty of athletes it seems. Are they moving elsewhere and is the culture shifting that much (I know their girls bball coach left for FC but I never heard the reason)?

Cincinnati Finneytown broke a 34-game losing streak early last season. However, they are still on a 38-game losing streak against OHSAA opponents. They also haven't won a conference football game since 10/3/14.

Thanks, ChopStix--I was thinking how nice it would be to finally read one of these threads without having to see our name on it.

That last conference win was 41-7 and we'd piled up almost 500 yards. Nobody left the stadium that day thinking there wouldn't be another for five years.

Is it going to be like this in all sports for FCA? Over the last 10 years they've had plenty of athletes it seems. Are they moving elsewhere and is the culture shifting that much (I know their girls bball coach left for FC but I never heard the reason)?
FCA’s best basketball player last year, the freshman (now sophomore) Rose, transferred to Bloom-Carroll. Their best football player last year and their 2nd/3rd best hooper, Cam Letner, also left to attend BC. We can talk more about FCA/MSL-Card hoops in the basketball forum (I’ll follow you there. Just start the thread!)

But to answer your question more directly: when it comes to football for FCA, they do not have any talent and really have not had any talent for a while. Numbers have been tough, but their numbers situation hasn’t been any worse than the teams in their league and in some cases it’s been much better than others (see: Rosecrans the last five years.) FCA doesn’t develop talent for any sport they sponsor outside of basketball. One of the best baseball players in Fairfield County, in fact he may be the best, actually attends FCA and he is basically the only one that is a three-sport athlete (football, hoops, and baseball.) Decent football player. If FCA only had at least three more of him, their football and boys sports in general would be a lot more competitive. They wouldn’t be staring down the barrel of what could be a 30-game “games not won” streak by season’s end.

The one or two other things I’ll note on why FCA is where they’re at in football: FCA has always played their home games 25-40 minutes away. It was New Lexington (yes, one county over) for the longest time until a huge scandal (nothing interesting related to sports) killed their renting agreement and diplomatic ties with NL. Now it’s been Millersport for the last three or four years. Which, is also a haul for a home game. Why pay the expensive tuition for your kid to play in an athletics program where the facilities situation is F- (their baseball program plays at a poorly maintained off-site athletics complex where, put simply, no one with standards thinks it would be acceptable to play a full-length varsity baseball season at)? You can send your kid to perfectly good public school systems with superior athletics like Bloom, Liberty Union, Pickerington or Lancaster for free. As for culture, yeah - there basically isn’t one and hasn’t been for a while. Am willing to expand on that in the basketball forum.)

^ Appreciate the response Dock! I'll get one started on the basketball forum so this thread isn't hijacked.

But from the sounds of it, FCA's losing streak may be a long-term one, at least for 11-man. You would know better than me, but given what you've said about the culture and declining enrollment, it doesn't seem that far outside the realm of possibility that they could struggle to even field a team in the future.

Wheeling Park and Parkersburg are usually thought to be underachievers.

Point Pleasant and Martinsburg, sometimes Charleston George Washington are the traditionally toughest of the AAA schools.

Between the AA and A schools, it’s usually Wheeling Central, Bridgeport, St. Mary’s and Williamstown. Everyone else is pretty blah.
--------------------------
Point Pleasant also has Bishop Sycamore on their schedule

George Washington isn't the best team in Charleston its Capital by far
Top 9 in WV
AAA Martinsburg, Huntington Spring Valley, Huntington, Capital
AA Bluefield, Bridgeport, Fairmont Sr
A Wheeling Central and Williamstown

Rest are way below par

Parkersburg is the winningest program in the State of WV, but haven't won a title since 2007

Last edited:
Just watched that Newcomerstown video above. Not only was it hard to watch, but I noticed that the officiating crew doing that game was the same bumbling, stumbling idiots who did the Triway/Manchester debacle and the Orrville/CVCA debacle last season. That crew should NEVER be allowed doing a game again!

It's not really all that great, because either you had to go through all the losing first, or you're on the wrong side of it.
I saw Conotton Valley break a long streak years ago against Bellaire St. John Central. You'd have thought they won a state title

I saw the Mathews game was called early due to injuries. What exactly happened? 35-0 means the last eight minutes probably didn't matter anyways.
Game was called 8 minutes to go in 3rd quarter, Mathews fielded a team with 24 players, mostly underclassmen.... Mathews couldn't make much progress, but as it stands tonight we have some boys who are going to be out with concussions... Right now our starting and backup QBs are out... RB is out. I believe Coach Hulea is a classy guy, but he really could have put in his second stringers, and the last play, 2 Leetonia players took out our RB, the referees even flagged them... but as the Vienna Ambulance was already on the way to the hospital with a player, they would not move the RB, he was on the ground for like a half hour as we waited on another ambulance from Liberty... Vienna's showed back up right ahead of Liberty's and as they were putting the RB into the ambulance, the coaches, and refs were at mid-field, and they called it there. I love high school football, but I can go without having these kids suffer, when they are so young and learning... I would have no problem is the Mathews administration pulls the plug on this years season with what occured tonight...

Game was called 8 minutes to go in 3rd quarter, Mathews fielded a team with 24 players, mostly underclassmen.... Mathews couldn't make much progress, but as it stands tonight we have some boys who are going to be out with concussions... Right now our starting and backup QBs are out... RB is out. I believe Coach Hulea is a classy guy, but he really could have put in his second stringers, and the last play, 2 Leetonia players took out our RB, the referees even flagged them... but as the Vienna Ambulance was already on the way to the hospital with a player, they would not move the RB, he was on the ground for like a half hour as we waited on another ambulance from Liberty... Vienna's showed back up right ahead of Liberty's and as they were putting the RB into the ambulance, the coaches, and refs were at mid-field, and they called it there. I love high school football, but I can go without having these kids suffer, when they are so young and learning... I would have no problem is the Mathews administration pulls the plug on this years season with what occured tonight...
That's understandable. The lack of seniors to lead the team is an issue. Too late to do anything now, but if that's an issue next season, 8-man is an option. Your first game was 8-man. What did you think?

That's understandable. The lack of seniors to lead the team is an issue. Too late to do anything now, but if that's an issue next season, 8-man is an option. Your first game was 8-man. What did you think?
Did not go see it... I am against 8-man even if I know its coming eventually...