Living in the Age of the Coronapocalypse

chs1971

"I'll have the breakfast special."

"Here or to go?"

"Here, thanks."

Scrambled eggs, one of those squares of hash browns, and mediocre coffee, but six slices of bacon, a toasted Thomas English Muffin with Smucker's grape jelly served on a real china plate with stainless steel knife and fork. Served cafeteria style for only $3.18 with tax . I sat at a table by myself and watched Kelly & Ryan babble about something and then walked the 1/2 mile home.

After lunch I'll walk back to the locally owned and operated Marathon station to get my truck with new oil and the tires rotated. It's a mile and a half unless I take the scenic route through city park The owner & mechanics are graduates of the local high school and the teenagers he hires to work the afternoon shift are usually athletes. The owner calls me by my first name but everybody else still call me Mr. Chs1971. He gets my business.

When I quit wasting my time here I will back to Africa with Papa.

Less than 4 hours working from home and as 'great' as it is I dont know how I can handle this for very long.

Speaking of Africa..........I'd go back...spent 10 months there in 2017...LOVE THE HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!

"I'll have the breakfast special."

"Here or to go?"

"Here, thanks."

Scrambled eggs, one of those squares of hash browns, and mediocre coffee, but six slices of bacon, a toasted Thomas English Muffin with Smucker's grape jelly served on a real china plate with stainless steel knife and fork. Served cafeteria style for only $3.18 with tax . I sat at a table by myself and watched Kelly & Ryan babble about something and then walked the 1/2 mile home.

After lunch I'll walk back to the locally owned and operated Marathon station to get my truck with new oil and the tires rotated. It's a mile and a half unless I take the scenic route through city park The owner & mechanics are graduates of the local high school and the teenagers he hires to work the afternoon shift are usually athletes. The owner calls me by my first name but everybody else still call me Mr. Chs1971. He gets my business.

When I quit wasting my time here I will back to Africa with Papa.
Man you live like a rockstar. Thank God for the union and the wages and lifestyle it has provided you.

I was a building rep, I was briefly president of our district.

I've never posted anything anti-union.

Sorry if my reality doesn't match your prejudices.

You didn't go there ? Yes you did , played and snuck in that U card nicely to an arch conservative . Good on ya IB.
(y) I've always loved the teacher that reaped all of the collective bargaining benefits and then somehow believed they were above it all and voted for candidates stripping away collective bargaining rights.

I was a building rep, I was briefly president of our district.

I've never posted anything anti-union.

Sorry if my reality doesn't match your prejudices.
Prejudice? No I was just admiring IB's post. My bad , if you are or were pro union at some point. Most conservatives aren't .

(y) I've always loved the teacher that reaped all of the collective bargaining benefits and then somehow believed they were above it all and voted for candidates stripping away collective bargaining rights.
Yeah, all those great "collective bargaining benefits" that teachers have reaped...

You know teachers are one of the lowest college degreed professional careers out there?

As an engineer, I am sure glad I didn't have those "collective bargaining benefits" and making teacher wages...

I am being somewhat tongue in cheek, but seriously, you REALLY shouldn't use teachers as the prime example for collective bargaining benefits. No degreed profession complains more about their salaries than teachers. Right or wrong, they complain the most of all Bachelor Degree level professional careers, so I would shy away from using their collective bargaining benefits as a shining star to unions.

Just sayin', teachers obviously aren't that happy with what they have got from their unions...

Kind of like the conservatives who blast government at every opportunity but gladly use the programs that benefit themselves not even slightly noticing the hypocrisy.

Yeah, all those great "collective bargaining benefits" that teachers have reaped...

You know teachers are one of the lowest college degreed professional careers out there?

As an engineer, I am sure glad I didn't have those "collective bargaining benefits" and making teacher wages...

I am being somewhat tongue in cheek, but seriously, you REALLY shouldn't use teachers as the prime example for collective bargaining benefits. No degreed profession complains more about their salaries than teachers. Right or wrong, they complain the most of all Bachelor Degree level professional careers, so I would shy away from using their collective bargaining benefits as a shining star to unions.

Just sayin', teachers obviously aren't that happy with what they have got from their unions...
Are you saying that they would do better without the union ?

Kind of like the conservatives who blast government at every opportunity but gladly use the programs that benefit themselves not even slightly noticing the hypocrisy.

Or the liberals that say that police are racist and we have a police brutality problem...all while also saying we should ban all guns and only the police should have them...

I mean we could all pull straw man fallacy hypocrisy games here if you want.

Are you saying that they would do better without the union ?

Look at almost every other BS degree level career that doesn't use unions. Teachers are about at the bottom of the list when it comes to salaries. All the rest of them are not union.

The avg. union teacher in my neck of the woods makes good money $70,000 range (15 years in) with great benefits and retirement and a bargained and defined day.

The avg. non-union teacher makes far less and around $45,000 range (15 years in) with less benefits (if any) and required to work at far more aspects than their union counterparts (janitor duty, cleaning duty, extracurriculars).

When I hear teachers bit$ch or ones that vote Republican I always tell them the alternative is to head down to the nearest private and demand they get their current salary with benefits and retirement and that they will only work from 7:30AM to 3PM teaching several blocks and a planning period. The private school would laugh them out the building.

Look at almost every other BS degree level career that doesn't use unions. Teachers are about at the bottom of the list when it comes to salaries. All the rest of them are not union.
And non-union teachers make far less. What a shame right?

And non-union teachers make far less. What a shame right?

Median teacher salary near me is right at $70,000/yr as well. My point is that you are stating the benefits of collective bargaining while using and example (teachers) that on average complain the most about their salaries compared to other degreed professionals.

It's not a good look. "Hey, unions are great!" then "My salary sucks and I should get paid more" all said by the same profession.

I found a place today where I could sit at the bar and have a beer while waiting for my take out perch dinner, and pie.

Just some perspective:
It is estimated that, of the world’s 7.6 billion people, more than 2.5 billion have no access to mobile phones. More than 3.3 billion have no access to the internet. Billions of people have no idea of the thing that consumes our world everyday.