Lake Erie League is back

GCP441

The LEL is back,some very talented young men have decided to continue their basketball careers at Heights

6'2 guard Jamal Sumlin Junior. Rhodes, Rider Univ and Akron Univ offers
6'7 Keyshawn Hall forward Senior. Rhodes Rider Univ offer.
5'10 Bryon Ottrix guard Senior Glenville Detroit Mercy Commit

Hopefully Covid-19 will allow a basketball season because this coming season will be very interesting.

Screenshot_2020-09-14-18-29-55.pngok

Attachments

SVillegrad

Good for Heights. Figured Hall was headed somewhere this year (from another thread, actually on the football board, he is the one I heard was also linked to Medina over the summer).

Cleveland Municipal school district has cancelled winter sports. Seems players can transfer without penalty but cannot 100% confirm this.
They haven’t yet, it’s a rumor going around the area, but not official. Have heard OHSAA will hold the transfer penalty for those who don’t meet hardship requirements pre COVID

SVillegrad

Or they all moved into the Cleveland Heights district? If so, what can the OHSAA do? It's not like this would be the first time in history somebody would have moved from the CMSD to a suburban school district, right?

Mr. Red Raider

Cleveland Municipal school district has cancelled winter sports. Seems players can transfer without penalty but cannot 100% confirm this.
I wonder if the CMSD is even gonna have any sports in general this season...and, man....the Lake Erie League is gonna be STACKED this season. Cleveland Heights is definitely gonna be a favorite to make it deep in the tournament if the kids can gel properly.

Or they all moved into the Cleveland Heights district? If so, what can the OHSAA do? It's not like this would be the first time in history somebody would have moved from the CMSD to a suburban school district, right?
Not the first time, but the moves aren’t always as easy for families from Cleveland to the suburbs, especially if work is on the opposite side of town for the parents. If they did so, before the beginning of the school year, if I remember OHSAA transfer rules correctly, then yes. What I have noticed is that is not what has been happening with some of the CMSD transfers.

An issue many of these transfers don’t get is now they have voided their SAY YES scholarships as graduates of CMSD. This means that they lose their guaranteed money to the schools that are SAY YES partners. In many ways this is better than a sports scholarship as it stays for the length of time your in college if you meet the requirements and not tied to you staying on the team / year to year. They can also be combined with academic or athletic scholarships and would make it where you’re in the black at most state schools and if you get external scholarships make schools like Kenyon affordable.