La Salle Lancer Football

I suppose this is an OHSAA related question, but looking at the roster it raised a question.

I notice that there are players that appear on multiple rosters. Freshman and Varsity or JV and Varsity. This raised the question: Can a freshman or sophomore play in a Freshman or JV game and the Varsity game for a given week?

I believe the rule is you are allowed 5 quarters per week. Now I don't know what that means with OT games and what not, but I believe I read the 5 quarters per week.

Pretty frustrating night. Undisciplined and down to QB #3 already. The kids tried hard but they are light years away from competing in the GCL. Back to the drawing board.

So much for Watson "getting killed" if he plays. Granted, he wasn't facing a GCL defense, but the lad can chuck the ball! :thumb:

Early on in this blog we were advised how fast quick and great this defense is going to be. Well I don't know where that defense is but it certainly didn't show up today they couldn't tackle they were constantly needing to gang tackling from behind when they did and even though they did make a few good plays, this team at least on defense did not seem to have their proverbial S.....together. Granted Wests back is a good runner, but numerous times they had him in their grasp and let them go and in fact most of his long runs were made after there were a number of missed tackles on him during that run next up.. CC...if you haven't seen a beautiful pass oriented offense, just come on out and watch theirs. We won't be playing them anymore for a while and this may be even uglier than Lakota West's game if the defense shows up like they did last night

I thought LaSalle played hard and they are young. Freshman Quarterback, Freshman returned a kick for a TD and they had a huge Freshman Offensive guard that played all night long and played well. By the way it is not 5 quarters per week, it is 40 quarters for the year. No limit weekly.

Pretty frustrating night. Undisciplined and down to QB #3 already. The kids tried hard but they are light years away from competing in the GCL. Back to the drawing board.

Undisciplined. Not sure what specifically causes you to say that.

I would be darn glad that La Salle is down to the #3 QB. He should be their #1. Keep him in the game and by the end of the year they will have a passing game that will be tough to contain. I am not overly fond of Grippa, but he can design an excellent passing game.

Light years away. Wow! You have already given up on La Salle for years to come. I saw some very talented underclassman that are at this time impact players on the offense. As for the defense, that is another matter. They will need to improve now and in the future. Fix this part of the game and they will compete with the rest of the GCL over the next three years.

Even though I have not seen Moe play this year, I feel confident saying
La Salle will not compete well with the other GCL teams this year. Their defense is poor. It's tough to compete if you can't tackle and keep receivers from getting behind the DB's. It would also help if they could find a kicker.

Some shining stars on offense, I will agree and I will agree that the defense was not up to usual par that we have, but I will not agree that Agrippa can put together a good passing offense. last night there weren't any flair passes, there were no screen passes no short receiver come back flat passes there were no pitches to the sides everything was up the middle or mostly fade routes inside the red zone does he have that little confidence in his running game that he didn't utilize it a little more three times in the red zone and no scores... say what you want for or against the head coach but I don't think he has a good handle on a diverse offense especially when the chips are down look back over the years and take a look at the games you won't see a whole lot of W's in that column.

Some shining stars on offense, I will agree and I will agree that the defense was not up to usual par that we have, but I will not agree that Agrippa can put together a good passing offense. last night there weren't any flair passes, there were no screen passes no short receiver come back flat passes there were no pitches to the sides everything was up the middle or mostly fade routes inside the red zone does he have that little confidence in his running game that he didn't utilize it a little more three times in the red zone and no scores... say what you want for or against the head coach but I don't think he has a good handle on a diverse offense especially when the chips are down look back over the years and take a look at the games you won't see a whole lot of W's in that column.

I understand what you are saying and must concur based on last night. I don't agree that he can't put a passing game together. This is quite dated, but his initial Kudo's as a coach were generated at Elder where he built his offense around the pass. It will be interesting to see if they keep the freshman as their starter, and if they do, how it will effect their game plan.

History shows that using a multitude of 9th graders in the GCL just does not equate to wins. I trust this was not Grippa's plan. There is a maturity factor physically and mentally that Watson and other frosh will have to overcome. That's why I suggested they are light years away. The undisciplined comment comes from the five turnovers..simply inexusable. Did West have any??
As always I will watch them every week, support my alma mater and leave comments.

First interception was a screen pass..what are you talking about? The Lancers ran everyone of those pass plays....that's why we didn't have many first downs until Watson came into the game and we started throwing the ball downfield. Hard to win when you GIVE a team 18 points

First interception was a screen pass..what are you talking about? The Lancers ran everyone of those pass plays....that's why we didn't have many first downs until Watson came into the game and we started throwing the ball downfield. Hard to win when you GIVE a team 18 points

Sometimes they're referred to as "takeaways."

Hope this helps. ;)

You are correct but if you map out the entire passes thrown, you will not find much diversity. Hopefully this phase of the game will significantly improve, because in the last couple of weeks, looking at Circleville and this game, this defense has a long way to go might well be considered to be in trouble

Go lancers

"1.5) QUARTERS AND GAME LIMITATIONS
1.51A) 9th-12th grade student is limited to playing:
a) A maximum of four quarters in one day.
b) A maximum of 50 quarters per season (excluding OHSAA tournaments" -ohsaa.org

1.52 "Any player who participates in one or more downs in one quarter shall be
charged with one quarter of play. A down in which the offensive team is
in a scrimmage kick formation or a free kick does not count in the quarter
limitation. A down repeated due to penalty does not count." - ohsaa.org

You are correct but if you map out the entire passes thrown, you will not find much diversity. Hopefully this phase of the game will significantly improve, because in the last couple of weeks, looking at Circleville and this game, this defense has a long way to go might well be considered to be in trouble

Go lancers

Now I do agree that we should/ could have run the ball a little more, especially in the redzone. When you live by the pass, so shall you die by the pass. With Wilcox at 90+ rushing yards, there was no reason to go away from the run early. Not sure if we panicked being down 18, but needed to see if LW could stop the run also. Would have been nice to see Fergie witha a few more carriers (especially with his speed in the 4th qtr) and guys on the other side a little tired.

Last edited:
Give them a chance to make a game plan around the, what I hope is their QB, Watson. The offense will be ok. The D, dang they need improvement.

Oh yea, underclassman do not equate to freshman. Though, the freshman were far from sub par. Larkin pretty darn good, Watson very good, Doerger improved as the game moved on.

Let's take a look back this weekend.

Freshman- Looked good vs West. Larkin continues to wow and rightfully so has been called up. Also called up a OL (Luke) Not sure how he did on the frosh level, but must have been really good in order to start at guard on Varsity. Frosh QB (the one still there) looks good and has a big arm and they have some strong runners on that team. Could be a product of the OL, but i know they have some players at that level.

JV - Finally saw this group play and they are exciting. Offense looked good!!
Both qb's made some big plays. Greene had a breakout game and led the team to a (John Elway type, game winning drive at the end) Big back who runs hard (needs to go north and south and forget about east and west) Defense needs to cover other team;s receivers - understatement here. If Greene was Elway, then LW qb and receiver was Steve Young and Jerry Rice - wow. Big plays (fumble receovery for TD, tipped pass to keep a drive going) Once they settle in with DB's, this team should be good. LW could not run on the D (even with their big back)

V - Tackle, tackle, tackle. We need to get back to the basics and (you guessed it...tackle) We did not look prepared to play a football game. Some may be put on coaches, but a lot needs to go on the actuall players...We were out of sync ( uncovered 2 point conversion, eq. malfunction resulting in a td, and lack of desire to bring the ball carrier down) It didn't help that we were down 18 before we realized the game had satrted. Positives are - We found a qb. Whether its for now or the future, the 'kid' is the real deal. PLaying on one leg, I have to give him his props and the fact that he's only 15 or so... what a player. He will make some frosh mistakes (which he did, but we can all live with that) Running game (when we actually ran the ball) wasnt too bad (Wilcox +Bell) but we need to run it !
Defense - at this point, there is not much to say here other than (you guessed it... tackle, tackle, tackle) Maybe some of the JV or frosh will be coming up if the upperclassmen cant get it done.

This was a game LaSalle should have won - at least on paper

Last edited:
Give them a chance to make a game plan around the, what I hope is their QB, Watson. The offense will be ok. The D, dang they need improvement.

Oh yea, underclassman do not equate to freshman. Though, the freshman were far from sub par. Larkin pretty darn good, Watson very good, Doerger improved as the game moved on.

Well, on Twitter, Burkart has been given the job back providing he's healthy and meyer is now number three. The coach has had 20+ years of instances where he's had to come up with a game plan during a game to fit the situation judging from the comments above and below your comment, he didn't seem to understand how to do that since his diversity was poor, he was just darn lucky he had a very good quarterback available. Just like two years ago he could not figure out how to plan an offense for the second half at Elder, so too he didn't understand what to do the second half of this game I think we will see the same coaching the rest of the year. By the way what happened to Meyer? Did he get injured or did he just get pulled?

Now I do agree that we should/ could have run the ball a little more, especially in the redzone. When you live by the pass, so shall you die by the pass. With Wilcox at 90+ rushing yards, there was no reason to go away from the run early. Not sure if we panicked being down 18, but needed to see if LW could stop the run also. Would have been nice to see Fergie witha a few more carriers (especially with his speed in the 4th qtr) and guys on the other side a little tired.
I agree I'm not sure why they would call him up to varsity to get limited touches when they could of left him at jv to play every down and dress for varsity it's very puzzling to me and him

Oh yeah I'm still here like i was saying the kid has been doing this all his life locally and on a national level Ferguson, Watson and warren all 3 of them been playing together since they was 7 that's how we got him to come to Lasalle when other Gcl schools wanted him badly he wanted to play with his friends

So much for Watson "getting killed" if he plays. Granted, he wasn't facing a GCL defense, but the lad can chuck the ball! :thumb:

I'll eat some crow on that statement for this game... curious is he a true freshman? I mean is he the same age as a normal freshman? thank God he is mobile. Did he break the single game passing mark that Nieman has held for so long?

I'll eat some crow on that statement for this game... curious is he a true freshman? I mean is he the same age as a normal freshman? thank God he is mobile. Did he break the single game passing mark that Nieman has held for so long?
He just turned 15 in may