Kirtland football moving up in CVC ranks in 2021-22

buno67

Kirtland is basically replacing Beachwood, Berkshire, Wickliffe, Cardinal, Grand Valley and Hawken with Geneva, West Geauga, Perry, Chagrin Falls, Orange, Lakeside and Edgewood. I believe they will be the smallest school in the Chagrin Division.

Since Oct. 2, 2009, Kirtland is 80-1 (.988) in CVC Valley play. Over the past decade, Kirtland is 4-0 against Chagrin Falls, 2-0 against Geneva (though the Eagles did beat the Hornets in 2009), 2-0 against Edgewood and 2-0 against Orange. All were nonconference games.

The CVC will look like this now
Chagrin Division: Kirtland, Geneva, West Geauga, Perry, Chagrin Falls, Orange, Lakeside and Edgewood.
Valley Division: Harvey, Beachwood, Berkshire, Cardinal, Hawken, Grand Valley, Crestwood
Metro Division: Independence, Brooklyn, Trinity, Lutheran West, Cuyahoga Heights, Wickliffe (Fairport left the CVC this year and Richmond Heights won't have football, leaving the Metro with five teams)

Its only set in stone for 2years, so it can change back in a few years.

I just know those Perry Kirtland games are going to entertaining. I know they have been scrimmage partners for a while now. so they are going to be very familiar with one another.

Crestwood left the PTC (in my opinion) because of the uncertainty surrounding the league after the "upper" division broke off. It is not Crestwood's job to protect Mogadore's interests.

If Kirtland would have been amenable to shifting to the upper division in football a few years earlier, then the CVC probably would not had some of its issues of recent years. The most recent expansion(s) was primarily designed to get the upper division to eight (semi) workable members in football

Kirtland gave the valley division some credibility...what a weak division that is now...I mean is crestwood the best team now? Beachwood?

Perry will be a war but the rest of the new league will likely get rolled by Kirtland. Nothing to see here most likely.

Crestwood left the PTC (in my opinion) because of the uncertainty surrounding the league after the "upper" division broke off. It is not Crestwood's job to protect Mogadore's interests.

If Kirtland would have been amenable to shifting to the upper division in football a few years earlier, then the CVC probably would not had some of its issues of recent years. The most recent expansion(s) was primarily designed to get the upper division to eight (semi) workable members in football
No your are correct, it is not Crestwood's job to protect Mogadore's interest. But there is something about loyalty and keeping ones word. Crestwood failed that test on both accounts. Mogadore doesn't need anyone to " protect " them. They do quite well. Seems Crestwood, a district with $ problems is following another Portage county district with $ problems, quitting a league they have been in for years, and trading that for more transportation costs, longer trips and weaker competition. All the while asking for more community $$ and support. They have to look no further than Waterloo to see how that played out. In addition these ADs and Superintendents go from district to district. No one stays and invests in the community long term like they use to!

Perry will be a war but the rest of the new league will likely get rolled by Kirtland. Nothing to see here most likely.
I don’t know about rolling the rest of the league but Geneva, West G, and maybe Orange Chagrin Falls will give a lot better fight than the other CVC valley/metro teams other than Cuyahoga Heights.

but the only threat to beat them is Perry. It should be a 1-1 split really IMO these next 2 years

Last edited:
I still don't understand why Kirtland's out of conference schedule is weak. Why not schedule up and face a team like Aurora, Mayfield, Hudson, or Kenston? Why not play a Catholic school like STVM, Ursuline, Mooney, or Benedictine? Just one or two games a year. Really test yourself. Kirtland has no real worry about missing the playoffs as they will crush most of the teams in their conference.

I still don't understand why Kirtland's out of conference schedule is weak. Why not schedule up and face a team like Aurora, Mayfield, Hudson, or Kenston? Why not play a Catholic school like STVM, Ursuline, Mooney, or Benedictine? Just one or two games a year. Really test yourself. Kirtland has no real worry about missing the playoffs as they will crush most of the teams in their conference.
Yeah I see your point. Thinking back on the last ten years or so their weak non conference has really hurt them and they have been totally unprepared and overmatched come playoff time. I definitely think the change you suggest will make them more competitive in the playoffs. :p

I'm happy to hear this for the CVC. Kirtland has played at least a head above every other school in both the Metro and Valley divisions for a few years now. Harvey needs a chance to rebuild or just remain in the smaller school divisions for football.

Obviously Kirtland didn't NEED to do this. They have been just fine. No, they don't even get remotely challenged more than once or twice a year in the regular season. But that has provided them with plenty of opportunity to play their freshman/sophomores under the Friday night lights against opposing varsity teams during garbage time. It has also allowed their normal starters to get plenty of 4th quarter rest more often than not. That somewhat lessens the risk they take on for injury to their key guys. Overall, nobody could argue their schedule was hurting their success. But I think eventually Tiger and company decided to try and push themselves and see how high they can go. It should be a unique challenge. I still think their state championship caliber teams will mostly run through the bigger division (sans Perry), but West G, Geneva, and Orange will at least make Kirtland use their starters in the 4th quarter. Games in the past against Cardinal, Berkshire, Fairport, Newbury, etc. were over before they started.

Yeah I see your point. Thinking back on the last ten years or so their weak non conference has really hurt them and they have been totally unprepared and overmatched come playoff time. I definitely think the change you suggest will make them more competitive in the playoffs. :p
I had to put a bucket under my monitor to catch the dripping sarcasm of that one:ROFLMAO:

But I get what Lep2002 was saying, I think they could really "test" themselves in just one game a year to see what they could do against the much bigger schools. There have been multiple threads on here in the past about if Kirtland could beat a top D1-D3 school.

Obviously Kirtland didn't NEED to do this. They have been just fine. No, they don't even get remotely challenged more than once or twice a year in the regular season. But that has provided them with plenty of opportunity to play their freshman/sophomores under the Friday night lights against opposing varsity teams during garbage time. It has also allowed their normal starters to get plenty of 4th quarter rest more often than not. That somewhat lessens the risk they take on for injury to their key guys. Overall, nobody could argue their schedule was hurting their success. But I think eventually Tiger and company decided to try and push themselves and see how high they can go. It should be a unique challenge. I still think their state championship caliber teams will mostly run through the bigger division (sans Perry), but West G, Geneva, and Orange will at least make Kirtland use their starters in the 4th quarter. Games in the past against Cardinal, Berkshire, Fairport, Newbury, etc. were over before they started.

I would clarify that the success of Kirtland's football program was not dependent on the move, but Kirtland's existence as a member of the CVC may have been. They probably would have been booted or caused instability in the CVC by the Valley Division schools had they not agreed to move up the Chagrin Division in football.

I just know those Perry Kirtland games are going to entertaining. I know they have been scrimmage partners for a while now. so they are going to be very familiar with one another.

I can also see Kirtland and West Geauga building a nice rivalry. The communities are less than 20 minutes away just down SR 306. West G has a tradition-rich football program as well that just needs a pick-me-up.

Metro Division: Independence, Brooklyn, Trinity, Lutheran West, Cuyahoga Heights, Wickliffe (Fairport left the CVC this year and Richmond Heights won't have football, leaving the Metro with five teams)

Warrensville Heights could be a possible affiliate member for the CVC Metro in football, at least until Richmond Heights is able to rebuild a football program. Warrensville Heights does not play the larger schools in the LEL and would have an easier time filling out their season schedule working with the CVC.

If you’re going to build a conference based on competition level then you’re going to have to move Cuyahoga Heights out of the Metro division. They have lost only one game to any of the Metro team since 2010 and that was to Independence in 2013. C- Hts is clearly head and shoulders better than any team in the Metro and won’t be challenged this year either. Consider also the fact that they have played in three final fours and two state title appearances in the last five years.

Last edited:
If you’re going to build a conference based on competition level then you’re going to have to move Cuyahoga Heights out of the Metro division. They have lost only one game to any of the Metro team since 2010 and that was to Independence in 2013. C- Hts is clearly head and shoulders better than any team in the Metro and won’t be challenged this year either. Consider also the fact that they have played in three final fours and two state title appearances in the last five years.

The CVC structure for football is essentially enrollment for the upper division (Chagrin) and then geographic for the other two divisions (Valley and Metro), though enrollment is a secondary consideration in the Valley & Metro. Part of why Fairport probably left the CVC was being put in the Metro for football. The Chagrin teams play each other in a round-robin (7 games), the Valley & Metro teams had gotten to seven league games by playing all the teams in their division and one crossover game prior to this year; I don't know what the plan is now with Richmond Hts. out, the simplest would be that Richmond Hts. becomes a bye across the board.

As covered before, Kirtland moving to the Chagrin solves a couple of "problems":
-it enables one of Edgewood (smallest enrollment) or Harvey (being lousy) to get out of the Chagrin, ended up being Harvey that left the Chagrin
-schools in the Valley (and whomever was their Metro crossover) escape getting "trucked" by Kirtland

I had to put a bucket under my monitor to catch the dripping sarcasm of that one:ROFLMAO:

But I get what Lep2002 was saying, I think they could really "test" themselves in just one game a year to see what they could do against the much bigger schools. There have been multiple threads on here in the past about if Kirtland could beat a top D1-D3 school.
[/QUOTE]

Of course that is what I was saying. Kirtland wouldn't be able to compete with a top D1 team like Eds or Ignatius but maybe they could play with a strong D2 team like Hudson or Avon? Maybe they could beat Benedictine or STVM? It would just be fun to see.

Teams do not want to play Kirtland. For computer points, a larger team won’t get points to beat them, smaller schools would get points but will get killed. Kirtland tried move up earlier a few years ago, but chagrin schools voted no. It is obvious that Harvey needed to move down.

So who do the hornets play this season? Computer points are not an issue this season as everyone makes the playoffs.
Strangely enough, all I have seen is the week 1 game against Lake Catholic, and that’s it. At this point, I’m assuming they’re venturing towards playing an independent 6-game schedule this year to prep for the move to the CVC Chagrin next year. But we’ll have to see.