IVC 23-24

Hiland's man to man half court defense was exquisite. They did a lot of perfect hedging to cut off driving into the paint and with that taken away, NC really had trouble scoring.

Hiland certainly wont apologize to anyone because you play who's in front of you but NC was one of the worst regional teams I've seen in a long time. The other side with South Webster or Fairfield is a lot tougher. Hard to believe the Columbus area doesn't have a better D4 team then that. Seems the good ones are all D3

Hiland certainly wont apologize to anyone because you play who's in front of you but NC was one of the worst regional teams I've seen in a long time.
Richmond Heights won their game by 50 tonight. Lol. They are probably saying the same thing about their opponent - Seneca East.

I also saw that Russia beat Lancaster Fisher Catholic 71-20. Ouch! Those Russians are mean.

That was a terrible team the Northside Christian I don’t think we played are best. I am not sure what to think about the jeeps they are big I do wish we had are full team. I did notice there shooting was not good from outside except for there big player in the regional game and they did not sub there big player played the entire game I think are defense will wear them down and they will get frustrated. We did beat linsley they were bigger I hope we shoot the lights out

If the Hawks can pressure the ball like they did tonight,they will frustrate this SW team,the big boy acts he gets really frustrated at times and looks like he gets tired pretty easy ,I guess we will see, Sammy and Nick will have to get there 15 to 20 points in this one, for Hiland to move on

That was a terrible team the Northside Christian I don’t think we played are best. I am not sure what to think about the jeeps they are big I do wish we had are full team. I did notice there shooting was not good from outside except for there big player in the regional game and they did not sub there big player played the entire game I think are defense will wear them down and they will get frustrated. We did beat linsley they were bigger I hope we shoot the lights out
Sammy needs to start out of the gate scoring like Nick did tonight

I think are defense is going to frustrate them I didn’t think there defense looked all that good. If the other team didn’t have a slow star they win. The big looked really tired I think it will be close until the 4th.

Sammy needs to start out of the gate scoring like Nick did tonight
Agreed. You won't win a big game if he doesn't get 15-20. He usually gets the other teams best defender and tonight seemed happy getting other kids involved. Good to see Nick take advantage. See if Hiland can gaurd a skilled 6-7 kid Friday night. Maybe like the Schilling kid from East Canton.

I never got to see Schillings play, could he step out and hit the three also,the big boy from SW, seems like he likes play away from the be basket and step out and shoot the three more,it will be interesting to see how he reacts to getting dog all game, and he acts like he gets tired very easily, I can't think boys name from SW , looks like maybe he's a carrot top, but he's a load underneath on the boards,we need to box him out, I got to watch them on the NFHS channel tonight

I never got to see Schillings play, could he step out and hit the three also,the big boy from SW, seems like he likes play away from the be basket and step out and shoot the three more,it will be interesting to see how he reacts to getting dog all game, and he acts like he gets tired very easily, I can't think boys name from SW , looks like maybe he's a carrot top, but he's a load underneath on the boards,we need to box him out, I got to watch them on the NFHS channel tonight
Only watched a few of his games but he looked like a 3 level scorer. Not in the same class as Minor from a couple years ago but I was impressed with him.

This is what I predicted a couple months ago on here, that South Webster would be the last one standing from the SE. They have good bigs and are well coached. If their big guy (Roberts) is engaged, he's a low D1 type player. He's been engaged lately and I'm assuming he will be on the big stage here.

Both teams play good, pressuring half court defense. Both teams are fundamental. Should be a good game. Looking at the bracket the winner avoids Russia and Richmond Heights. That's a major blessing.

Best of luck to Hiland and South Webster in their Elite 8 game.

This is what I predicted a couple months ago on here, that South Webster would be the last one standing from the SE. They have good bigs and are well coached. If their big guy (Roberts) is engaged, he's a low D1 type player. He's been engaged lately and I'm assuming he will be on the big stage here.

Both teams play good, pressuring half court defense. Both teams are fundamental. Should be a good game. Looking at the bracket the winner avoids Russia and Richmond Heights. That's a major blessing.

The Russians are cruel. They won 71-20 last night. Wow.

Both teams play good, pressuring half court defense. Both teams are fundamental. Should be a good game. The winner likely facing a loaded Russia team but hey, anything can happen at this point in the tournament.

Sounds like a good matchup. Ive heard S Webster is the real deal. I think Russia would get RH and the S Webster Hiland winner would get LCC or Toledo Christian. If I looked at it correctly. I could be wrong.

Sounds like a good matchup. Ive heard S Webster is the real deal. I think Russia would get RH and the S Webster Hiland winner would get LCC or Toledo Christian. If I looked at it correctly. I could be wrong.
Every time I hear "Lima Central Catholic" I smile and have warm memories of 1992 and the miracles the great Perry Reese worked. :)

Back in those days, fans would leave as soon as the game was decided to get dibs on the best tickets for the championship game. So with about 30 sec left in the game and LCC up 7, a bunch of LCC fans beat cheeks over to get in line. A few min later the Hiland crowd poured in behind them. The LCC fans were like, "What are you guys going?" Hiland fans informed them that LCC lost. Some of them were calling the Hiland fans liars and were ready to throw down, but word eventually spread. The stunned look on their faces -priceless. Lol.

Last edited:

Correct, I edited it. TCC/LCC are very good, but it's no secret that the winner of this matchup would rather face those two rather than Russia or Richmond Heights who are the 2 heavy favorites in D4.

Even if you take Richmond Heights out of the Canton Regional, I still think overall is better then OU regional. Still doesn't make sense that Schools like Malvern and Hiland have to drive almost 3 hours for regional when there is one less then an hour away.

Correct, I edited it. TCC/LCC are very good, but it's no secret that the winner of this matchup would rather face those two rather than Russia or Richmond Heights who are the 2 heavy favorites in D4.
No doubt.

You would rather have to pull off a miracle and beat one of the two than have to pull off two miracles.

Last edited:
Even if you take Richmond Heights out of the Canton Regional, I still think overall is better then OU regional. Still doesn't make sense that Schools like Malvern and Hiland have to drive almost 3 hours for regional when there is one less then an hour away.
The Canton Fieldhouse is the best place I have ever watched a HS ballgame.

There is one downside. In 2007 Hiland played Windham in a semi there. It was in the low 80s that day outside. Inside it was 180. They had the popcorn poppers blowing off heat in the hallways. I kept getting the urge to strip down to my underwear - but no one wants to see that and the Canton Police would have likely not seen it as a preservation of life measure. So, I sat there and baked. Lol.

Every time I hear "Lima Central Catholic" I smile and have warm memories of 1992 and the miracles the great Perry Reese worked. :)

Back in those days, fans would leave as soon as the game was decided to get dibs on the best tickets for the championship game. So with about 30 sec left in the game and LCC up 7, a bunch of LCC fans beat cheeks over to get in line. A few min later the Hiland crowd poured in behind them. The LCC fans were like, "What are you guys going?" Hiland fans informed them that LCC lost. Some of them were calling the Hiland fans liars and were ready to throw down, but word eventually spread. The stunned look on their faces -priceless. Lol.
Was there also, what a wild finish to that game

Was there also, what a wild finish to that game
Paul the barber used to have a VHS tape and would play it in his shop. You watch the last minute and you almost can't believe Hiland won that game. Jr Raber gets fouled on a 3 and calmly sinks all 3 FTs. Incredible.

I remember the 1992 miracle my brother was on that team Steve miller he was a senior I was a freshman in school. I remember me and my friend running to get tickets and we didn’t have enough money had to borrow some in line. We lost my parents and eventually we saw the players come out me and my brother was going crazy. I think Hiland wins and holds the jeeps to 40 points we will ware them out they don’t sub and was not impressed with there defense down the stretch Fairfield was getting easy layups at the end I think they were the better team they got a slow start

I remember the 1992 miracle my brother was on that team Steve miller he was a senior I was a freshman in school. I remember me and my friend running to get tickets and we didn’t have enough money had to borrow some in line. We lost my parents and eventually we saw the players come out me and my brother was going crazy. I think Hiland wins and holds the jeeps to 40 points we will ware them out they don’t sub and was not impressed with there defense down the stretch Fairfield was getting easy layups at the end I think they were the better team they got a slow start
Love hearing those stories.

Just a reminder - miracles, by definition, are rare; if they occured frequently, they wouldn't be miracles. I'm not sure I would categorize holding SW to 40 as miraculous, but it's not likely. OTOH, these are teenagers. You never know.

Nothing wrong with optimism!