Ironman 2023

175: #8-Gage Wright, Parkersburg (Virginia Tech) vs #10-Colin Kelly, Mt. Carmel (Wisconsin)
190: #19-Jake Dailey, Wy Sem (Columbia) vs. 13-Cade Ziola, Skutt (Nebraska)
215: #3-Jude Correa, Wy Sem (Michigan) vs. #4-Rune Lawrence, Frazier (West Virginia)
285: #4-Carter Neves, Blair vs. #9-Sampson Stillwell, St. Michael
106: #1-Joey Bachmann, Faith Christian vs. #4-Shamus Regan, Wy Sem
113: #10-Hunter Taylor, Liberty (Oregon St.) vs. #13-Davis Motyka, Wy Sem (Penn)
120: #2-Leo Deluca, Blair (Iowa) vs. #3-Beric Jordan, Stillwater (Oklahoma)
126: #1-Luke Lilledahl, Wy Sem (Penn St.) vs. #2-Jax Forrest, Bishop McCort
132: #1-Ben Davino, St. Charles (Ohio St.) vs. #2-Marcus Blaze, Perrysburg
138: #1-Bo Bassett, Bishop McCort vs. #14-Omar Ayoub, Dublin Coffman (Nebraska)
144: #1-Pierson Manville, State College (Arizona St.) vs. #10-Jack Consiglio, Malvern Prep (Stanford)
150: #3-Kody Routledge, Edmond N. (Nebraska) vs. #4-Vince Bouzakis, Wy Sem
157: #20-Landyn Sommer, Stillwater (Oklahoma) vs. #13-Aaron Stewart, Warren Township
165: #1-Angelo Ferrari, Melissa (Iowa) vs. #2-Joe Sealey, Wy Sem (Penn St.)
Rune Lawrence was on his way to likely tech falling or pinning Shulaw before a knee injury, very impressive tourney. Lilladahl always so solid, Ben " sorry no shrugs allowed " Davino one of my favorites for a long while . Why more people don't underhook and pound the head ...but Davino a master at positioning and mat smarts himself. MVP to LIlladahl IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrestled years ago. Followed it nominally over the years. I see a ton more out of state schools at the Ironman now than in earlier years of the tourney, but I can’t help but wonder if Ohio wrestling is in a downward talent cycle, like we see in football compared to the past, or is that not the case?

Not really. As the field has gotten stronger nationally, and Ohio has plateaued on the top end individuals, this was bound to happen.
This tournament has ALWAYS had top national talent since it’s inception, people that know wrestling for years, including national talent understand that. From its beginning elite national talent like Kldegard , Eric Guerrero, Cael Sanderson , Jamar Bilman EVEN in the beginning elite talent including the Walsh national hammers Heskett, Mollica , Marchette , Musser erc etc etc. St Eds era of national elite talent Jayne, Lenhard , Bertin, Lang , Heil … etc etc etc . Graham when they were loaded with national talent. Think about it none of those 3 Ohio teams have anywhere near that Elite national talent now…. Is the tournament tougher now? Or is Ohio competing against former Elite teams who were just far BETTER? “ Tougher” is subjective and no way to dispute the talent of the Eds and Walsh teams now is not nearly as good.

Wrestled years ago. Followed it nominally over the years. I see a ton more out of state schools at the Ironman now than in earlier years of the tourney, but I can’t help but wonder if Ohio wrestling is in a downward talent cycle, like we see in football compared to the past, or is that not the case?
I wonder what percentage of out of state teams make up the whole in comparison from years past. I also think Wrestling in Ohio has gotten better technique wise. But with the Internet, I think a lot of other states have as well. I think there’s a lot of opportunity out there for off-season events in comparison to back in the 80s and 90s. But I think that’s a whole other conversation.

IMG_5428.png

Every wrestler on the St. Edward Team scored points. I wonder how often that has happened?

View attachment 51182
Every wrestler on the St. Edward Team scored points. I wonder how often that has happened?G

View attachment 51182
Every wrestler on the St. Edward Team scored points. I wonder how often that has happened?
Good question....how about 11 placers?

For the first time in the history of Ironman, no wrestler from an Ohio school will win a title. Pretty shocking
Ironman was on opening weekend for Ohio wrestlers compared to many schools from other states who have already wrestled in a tournament and/or Dual competition. I have to wonder how that may have affected our boys. Maybe/maybe not.. we'll never know, but food for thought.
Here's what I do know... A lot of wrestlers didn't even wrestle on day 1 until between 6-8 hours after weigh ins and wrestled until midnight(Ish). That was horrible. Also, why close the cafe at 6p? Perhaps they should figure out a way to add mats OR start on Thursday evening in the future. Just a thought.
Like always, the competition was outstanding and fun to watch. Kudos to all the competitors.

Ironman was on opening weekend for Ohio wrestlers compared to many schools from other states who have already wrestled in a tournament and/or Dual competition. I have to wonder how that may have affected our boys. Maybe/maybe not.. we'll never know, but food for thought.
Here's what I do know... A lot of wrestlers didn't even wrestle on day 1 until between 6-8 hours after weigh ins and wrestled until midnight(Ish). That was horrible. Also, why close the cafe at 6p? Perhaps they should figure out a way to add mats OR start on Thursday evening in the future. Just a thought.
Like always, the competition was outstanding and fun to watch. Kudos to all the competitors.
Or someplace with better facilities needs to host the event instead of Walsh.

Or someplace with better facilities needs to host the event instead of Walsh.
Walsh does however has a certain amount of iconic stature since incepting this tournament. The additional facility field house they have also is a good place for the girls wrestling to take place.

Will never happen.

The amount of revenue Walsh pulls in for the Ironman weekend would make your head spin.

They'd never voluntarily give that up.
They don’t have to give it up, they could lose it possibly or they could even just switch to a location and rent it

Good question....how about 11 placers?

Solid Ironman for the Eagles that year.