Inspirational Thoughts

I've been legitimately looking to get more into Zen Buddhism and meditation

Do it, it's fascinating stuff. The eastern world view is just so completely different than the west. Really has the ability to change the way one thinks. Haven't delved into mediation yet, but want to start at some point.

It's easy to grin When your ship comes in And you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile, When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

It's easy to grin When your ship comes in And you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile, When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

Judge_Smails_Caddyshack2.gif

When I went thru my divorce, another divorce(ing) friend used the escape scene from Shawshank as an analogy for our current status in life.

We had just finished crawling through a tunnel of e, and now we were standing in the rain, free of the tunnel. The smell of the e was still on us, we were wet and cold, and didn't know where we were going from here, but at least we were free.

There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the back of the fence.

The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Over the next few weeks, as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails hammered daily gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.

Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper. The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone.

The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said, "You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out. It won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound is still there."

The little boy then understood how powerful his words were. He looked up at his father and said "I hope you can forgive me father for the holes I put in you."

"Of course I can," said the father.

It's not always anger, it is your actions in general. There are no "fresh starts" in life. There is no new beginning. Forgiveness comes easy for many people but the scars of the past, they never go away. Watch what you do today, because sometimes the price isn't worth the reward.

Our former HS football coach, and it has been since adopted and used by the current coach, would say "If you want to be successful, help someone else be successful".

On a recent flight I had the flight attendant said something that I thought was interesting..he was referencing how he wanted everyone's attention (off your phones, devices, etc). He mentioned how he knows everyone is busy with their phones and such, and that this goes for life in general as well as just his instructions he was about to give.
"it is nice to be important, but more important to be nice"

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

- Mother Theresa

"To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don’t grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float." -Alan Watts

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic."

Saw this written regarding Twitter, but it applies in general also

The number of "followers" you have does not make you better than anyone else. Hitler had millions, Jesus had 12

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain