Greater Cleveland Conference 2019-20

Solon has been trying to join the Suburban league for a few years. They applied again this year. They will be accepted and will join. They waiting on approval of school administration of suburban league. So when you say they aren’t going anywhere- think again

Sorry, what I meant by those three "aren't going anywhere" was a confusing choice of words. What I meant was that football-wise, those three programs are going to stay strong...certainly much stronger than the departing Elyria/Shaker. As those two programs looked around at the football landscape of the GCC, I don't think they had much confidence that they could ever consistently compete.

As for these teams going elsewhere, I know that Solon and Euclid could easily join a league by 2021. Elyria/Shaker were the first dominos. Solon will get out while they can. Euclid probably will follow.

Solon has been trying to join the Suburban league for a few years. They applied again this year. They will be accepted and will join. They waiting on approval of school administration of suburban league. So when you say they aren’t going anywhere- think again

If you are a coach at Lorain, I'm guessing you have heard something, and what you say adds up with how the SL has seemingly acted on this process (going straight to a full vote seems to make it seem like there isn't going to be some massive reformation and adding another tier, but rather one school getting an invite ... ala the SWC). If that's the case, Solon makes the most sense.

It's no secret that Solon and the three westside schools all applied for the SL. I have no details, but I have vaguely heard there will be an attempt to form a new league if the GCC loses another school. And Lorain seems to be the only school that may consider it. Any comments on that possibility? I still don't know how it would go up beyond 6, with Lorain, unless Massillon (the only other public that is independent and even remotely fits the profile) or some Catholics (Hoban, Ed's, Iggy, etc.) would be involved. All those seem far fetched, though.

I guess I could see some sort of non-football new league starting, with the remaining GCC schools being independent but in some loose scheduling conglomerate with whatever schools would join in all other sports.

2016: 4 district finalists, 2 district champs
2017: 5 district finalists, 3 district champs
2018: 4 district finalists, 2 district champs
2019: 3 district finalists, 2 district champs
2020: 5 district finalists, 3 district champs

For a league to put up these kind of results in a 5 year period, that is impressive. I know that the GCC's advantage of being spread out allows them to have more opportunities to have multiple district titles compared to a league like the Fed where all the teams play in the same district. But still, the teams have to go out and win games against teams the likes of Brush, Walsh Jesuit, Warren Harding, Garfield Heights, etc.

There is a 100% chance we have a GCC team in a regional final. If Shaker can knock off McKinley, we will have two - and a guaranteed team in Columbus. Great wins today by Mentor, Medina, and Shaker (over Solon, a fellow GCC team).

2016: 4 district finalists, 2 district champs
2017: 5 district finalists, 3 district champs
2018: 4 district finalists, 2 district champs
2019: 3 district finalists, 2 district champs
2020: 5 district finalists, 3 district champs

For a league to put up these kind of results in a 5 year period, that is impressive. I know that the GCC's advantage of being spread out allows them to have more opportunities to have multiple district titles compared to a league like the Fed where all the teams play in the same district. But still, the teams have to go out and win games against teams the likes of Brush, Walsh Jesuit, Warren Harding, Garfield Heights, etc.

There is a 100% chance we have a GCC team in a regional final. If Shaker can knock off McKinley, we will have two - and a guaranteed team in Columbus. Great wins today by Mentor, Medina, and Shaker (over Solon, a fellow GCC team).

Yep, the league teams still have to go out and win the games, and while the GCC being spread out allows them more district champs, it also could shut them out ... where the Fed is almost guaranteed to have the Canton winner.

Even though Shaker was the first domino in putting this league (which was always on shaky ground from the start) into a huge question moving forward, still rooting for them, which like you said guarantees a GCC team in Columbus (hopefully Medina, lol).