Greater Cleveland Conference 2019-20

cardzfan1234

The GCC has been one of the better leagues in Ohio the past several seasons. What does this season have in store?

Here are the 2018-19 final league standings:

Mentor 12-2
Euclid 10-4
Shaker 9-5
Solon 9-5
Medina 8-6
Brunswick 6-8
Elyria 2-12
Strongsville 0-14

Conference Outlook: The league schedule will be deep, but maybe not as deep as last season where the top 6 teams were all pretty solid. At the top, returning GCC champ Mentor brings back their top three scorers (Luke Foriea, Luke Chicone, and Chad Rogers) from last season as well as their 6th man, a DII basketball commit in Caleb Piks. Until proven otherwise, Mentor is the team to beat. Shaker and Medina aren't too fare behind. The Raiders bring back their three most talented players from last year too (Dakota Cochran, Danny Young Jr., and Shammah Scott). Medina has a few returning starters back including junior DI recruit Corey Tripp. The six games between Shaker, Mentor, and Medina will likely decide the league.

Euclid, district champions in 2019, will take a bit of a nose dive after projected 4th year starting guard Garvin Clarke transferred to Cleveland Heights. That was on top of graduating their other four starters and their coach stepping down. But Euclid did pick up their first win over VASJ since 2010 in their opener, so maybe not all is lost. Solon was hit hard by graduation, but they did have a couple youngsters (led by junior Marcus Steele) to watch out for. They have a great coach too, so I don't expect them to be down. The Blue Devils graduated district POY Kyle Goesler. Starters Tre Massey and Trevor Mackey are returning starters that averaged double digit scoring last season. Brunswick is well coached and they are a top 25 pre-season team on Cleveland.com. Elyria probably will finish closer toward the bottom of the GCC. I don't know much about them. Strongsville has been at/near the very bottom of the league every season. I don't expect that to change.

Four teams made the Cleveland.com pre-season Top 25. Mentor (#3), Medina (#9), Shaker (#10), and Brunswick (#24). My predictions on how the league standings will go:

Mentor (13-1)
Shaker (12-2)
Medina (10-4)
Brunswick (7-7)
Solon (6-8)
Euclid (6-8)
Elyria (2-12)
Strongsville (0-14)