Great News for a Mars Colony!

BlackHawk

We won't live to see it but I suspect that there are multiple shortcuts that will allow us to beat the speed of light in getting from point A to point B.
I hope those shortcuts don't take us through a bad galactic neighborhood. You never want to have a vehicle breakdown in a bad 'hood. ;)

eastisbest

^^^Keeping other things in perspective:

The Earth's coronavirus is deadly enough... what happens when we get infected by an unknown super-deadly extraterrestrial pathogen? I'm sure they're out there and humans would have virtually no defense against them. Colonizing other planets or contaminated probes returning from other planets could be very deadly to humans.

If that kind of pandemic happened, imagine the run on toilet paper!
and Reece's Pieces.

Has it been proven these were Earth bats?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Promising Signs of Past Martian Life at Jezero Crater

New research indicates river delta deposits within Mars' Jezero crater—the destination of NASA' Perseverance rover on the Red Planet—formed over time scales that promoted habitability and enhanced preservation of evidence.

Undulating streaks of land visible from space reveal rivers once coursed across the Martian surface—but for how long did the water flow? Enough time to record evidence of ancient life, according to a new Stanford study.

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Scientists may have just found evidence of a parallel universe

And now, after reviewing the previous data, scientists at the University of Hawaii suggest these particles may hail from a parallel universe — and where another Earth where everything runs backward, including time itself.

Indeed, even the standard law of physics in that universe would run in reverse.

"What we saw is something that looked just like a cosmic ray, as seen in reflection off the ice sheet, but it wasn't reflected," Peter Gorham, the physicist who led the research, tells the University of Hawaii News. "It was as if the cosmic ray had come out of the ice itself. A very strange thing. So we published a paper on that, we just suggested that this was in pretty strong tension with the standard model of physics."

EagleGuy

lotr10

Scientists may have just found evidence of a parallel universe

Awesome paper Yappi. My favorite part:

The particles, called tau neutrinos, normally rain down on our planet from the cosmos. The fact they're blazing outward from our planet not only defies standard physics, but also suggests high up in the Antarctic, there may be an overlap with a kind of bizarro world. But of course, to inhabitants of that world, our version of Earth would be the one that runs in reverse.

"Not everyone was comfortable with the hypothesis," Gorham tells New Scientist.

I bet they're not comfortable! How long until we get the Netflix series?

lotr10

I think this is exactly how we'll be able to explore and settle the solar system. We're getting good at genetic sciences and a 100 years from now we'll probably be able to do this routinely.

Genetic enhancement may not be restricted to the pages of sci-fi novels for much longer. For example, scientists have already inserted genes from tardigrades — tiny, adorable and famously tough animals that can survive the vacuum of space — into human cells in the laboratory. The engineered cells exhibited a greater resistance to radiation than their normal counterparts, said fellow webinar participant Christopher Mason, a geneticist at Weill Cornell Medicine, the medical school of Cornell University in New York City.