GMC Football 2023

Who will be top 3 in the GMC no particular order

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Couldn't agree more.

The issue is, nobody wants to front the cost for vocational education. Most in the education field still turn their noses up at the thought of "good, smart" students going the vocational route. This was one of many reasons I left education. When I look at my close group of friends.....overall those that went to college are doing worse financially than those who did vocational schooling. Those guys were making serious money at 20 years old, sometimes earlier at 18. I don't know why we seem to push people away from these options. When properly trained, and a good work ethic, these young men and women will never be without jobs.

We need more of these schools so there isn't a lottery, we need to educate students in high school on what kind of salaries different job fields typically pay, and also need to be upfront about the absolutely insane cost of college.

But I don't see anyone agreeing to pay more taxes so these programs could be expanded.
If 20 years ago I knew then what I know now i wish someone would have pushed me to go to diamond or Scarlet for a trade.

My son (who plays sports at taylor) has talked about wanting to go to diamond for welding or plumbing/electrical school. I will back him 10000%
I think now they have it set up where you can do your "trade" classes in the AM and come to back for your core's so you are back to school for sports practices. Which wasnt the case when i was in school.

The issue is, nobody wants to front the cost for vocational education. Most in the education field still turn their noses up at the thought of "good, smart" students going the vocational route. This was one of many reasons I left education. When I look at my close group of friends.....overall those that went to college are doing worse financially than those who did vocational schooling. Those guys were making serious money at 20 years old, sometimes earlier at 18. I don't know why we seem to push people away from these options. When properly trained, and a good work ethic, these young men and women will never be without jobs.
As a country we’d be better off if we loaned 18-20 year olds $50,000 to $100,000 to start a plumbing/HVAC/electrical business as easily as we do those pursuing a bachelor’s degree.

Sycamore 24 Cards 7 Take the lead early then play keep away.
West 38 Middies 6 Same formula as above but more dominant.
Vikings 30 Comets 5 Never in doubt, Vikings don't run it up but could. Comet faithful grumbling.
Blue 24 Midlanders 14 Blue with enough offense and the D continues to play well.
East 24 Indians 21 Toss up game, going with East passing game to win it.

Sycamore 24 Cards 7 Take the lead early then play keep away.
West 38 Middies 6 Same formula as above but more dominant.
Vikings 30 Comets 5 Never in doubt, Vikings don't run it up but could. Comet faithful grumbling.
Blue 24 Midlanders 14 Blue with enough offense and the D continues to play well.
East 24 Indians 21 Toss up game, going with East passing game to win it.
The Lowlanders moving up to Midlanders gives me hope. 😁

Its real simple. When the district sends kids to the vocational school, the district loses money that it would keep if they "in house" the offering. Hamilton did it really well for years keeping their vocational programs in house, state actually sent them extra money for doing it. HOWEVER in most cases the program offerings at the home district paled in comparison to what was being offered at Butler Tech (D Russell Lee) or the Great Oaks. Thus most districts such as Hamilton said to hell with it and began sending students to the local vocational school.

If you follow the $ you'll easily see why Colerain has held on to their model, despite its deficiencies.

Its real simple. When the district sends kids to the vocational school, the district loses money that it would keep if they "in house" the offering. Hamilton did it really well for years keeping their vocational programs in house, state actually sent them extra money for doing it. HOWEVER in most cases the program offerings at the home district paled in comparison to what was being offered at Butler Tech (D Russell Lee) or the Great Oaks. Thus most districts such as Hamilton said to hell with it and began sending students to the local vocational school.

If you follow the $ you'll easily see why Colerain has held on to their model, despite its deficiencies.
I think one advantage the NWLSD had in terms of running their own career centers and Colerain and Northwest was they could offer certain programs at CHS and others and NWHS and allow students to move between the two schools based on program interest. Colerain had diesel mechanics, Northwest auto repair (maybe collision), etc.

Definitely agree with all the posts about wishing they could go back and go the trades route. Considering NWLSD had their own career center, the prevailing culture I experienced was one of "college! college! college!-anyone worth anything has to go to college!" I am pretty sure I'd be making a lot more had I pursued one or more of the trades that piqued my interest while a teenager.

I think one advantage the NWLSD had in terms of running their own career centers and Colerain and Northwest was they could offer certain programs at CHS and others and NWHS and allow students to move between the two schools based on program interest. Colerain had diesel mechanics, Northwest auto repair (maybe collision), etc.

Definitely agree with all the posts about wishing they could go back and go the trades route. Considering NWLSD had their own career center, the prevailing culture I experienced was one of "college! college! college!-anyone worth anything has to go to college!" I am pretty sure I'd be making a lot more had I pursued one or more of the trades that piqued my interest while a teenager.
Agree, the college at all cost philosophy that has permeated education for the past 25 years or so has had major negative economic and infrastructural ramifications for present day America 💯

As a country we’d be better off if we loaned 18-20 year olds $50,000 to $100,000 to start a plumbing/HVAC/electrical business as easily as we do those pursuing a bachelor’s degree.
Today's kids, often at the admonition of their parents, are afraid of "getting their hands dirty". Among the jocks, every one thinks he is going to be
the one to make it to the NFL, NBA or MLB and the idea of "giving up the ghost" by going to vocational school instead of college is an early-in-life concession to their dreams.

Many districts don't have bussing at the HS level.
And that is sad, while there are some districts that understand the importance of full transportation many like NWLSD look at the flaw in law to be a way to save money. Honestly most would be ok with a modified HS busing program like FF and several other districts have where they bus up to Freshman students. (These also have freshman campuses). Princeton and WW are being innovated with transportation to better serve their students all all grade levels. Here is a great after school program on Tuesdays and Thursdays. #AAGV #vikingdiff #afterschool#vikesonthemove
Couldn't agree more.

We need more of these schools so there isn't a lottery, we need to educate students in high school on what kind of salaries different job fields typically pay, and also need to be upfront about the absolutely insane cost of college.

But I don't see anyone agreeing to pay more taxes so these programs could be expanded.
Several GMC schools and others are jumping on the HB33 and CTE money expanding in house programs or adding new programs.
Mt Healthy is investing heavy in their own career programs as is, many other local HS as they look to expand or add to the programs they currently have with the freed up dollars. BT and GO is trying to expand several programs in order to accept more students. Construction and Welding are two big program areas that the SW Ohio area is going to be looking at for skilled workers with the pending construction boom.
Someone asked how sports tie into a CTE. Many would be surprised on how many kids play sports for a school via open enrolment and never set foot in a class at the feeder. Or, prior to the lottery systems, the number of students from Indiana, Ky and SW Ohio that open enroll into a feeder so their student can reap the benefits of CTE education. There is also a dark side many do not know about....CTEs students that the feeder school does not want at their campus gets shipped to the CTE center. These students seem to bypass the lottery system....A good example is the huge increase in documented and undocumented ESL students at both GO-BT. Many of these students actually have a very good work ethic and do well with overcoming language barriers but employment at W2 shops is a problem as well as drivers licenses. I know of one campus this year with 7 countries represented as far away as Comoros, Haiti, Ukraine, Hungry, Guatemala, Venezuela. These students actually help some of the sports teams with numbers especially in both boys and girls soccer and sports that struggle to get players.

Sycamore 27 Cards 17 Cards D gets a pick 6 in this one...
West 42 Middies 0 Middies are improved but WEST is out to show they are the team to beat in the GMC.
Vikings 35 Comets 10
Hamilton 24 OH 20 Best game of the night..
FF 24 East 17 FF D plays just good enough to get the W

Last edited:
This has been a very interesting side discussion since the decline of Colerain football seems to go along with the state of the district. Sorry if you were inconvenienced.
Not at all. It was just a joke
I get the passion that people have for Colerain football and the community to get back on track

Sycamore 17 - 7 Cards: Very impressive Aves team after an 0-10 year.
West 42 - 0 Middies: West has seemed to figure it out. Running clock.
Vikings 35 - 0 Mason: Vikes dominate but the score is closer than the game. This was a weird loss for Princeton last year. They get it back this year.
Hamilton 21 - 12 Oak Hills: OH has traditionally played well against the Blue. But Hamilton is too much this year.
FF 27 - 21 East: Not ready to give up on FF yet. Hope they haven't given up on themselves.

Sycamore 27 Cards 17 Cards D gets a pick 6 in this one...
West 42 Middies 0 Middies are improved but WEST is out to show they are the team to beat in the GMC.
Vikings 35 Comets 10
Hamilton 24 Middies 20 Best game of the night..
FF 24 East 17 FF D plays just good enough to get the W
No wonder the Middies are getting beat. They're playing both west and Hamilton...

The Colerain offense is so predictable and terrible that Sycamore safety Tre Meadows just jumped a bubble screen that the Colerain QB threw without looking and lobbing it and Meadows had the easiest pick 6 I've ever seen. Sycamore leads 7-0.

The Colerain offense is so predictable and terrible that Sycamore safety Tre Meadows just jumped a bubble screen that the Colerain QB threw without looking and lobbing it and Meadows had the easiest pick 6 I've ever seen. Sycamore leads 7-0.
Colerain QB throws a TD pass....For the other team.... I cannot believe Colerain does not have a kid that has a stronger arm or, can at least throw a spiral. Sycamore only needs to rush 3 or 4 as slow as Colerain play looks like JV... 7-0 Sycamore end of the first.

Sycamore's Gio Garrett goes up and gets a jump ball in the end zone on a 20-yard TD pass. Sycamore leads 14-0 with 4:38 to play. He hasn't had any hype because Sycamore went 0-10 last year, but Garrett (who started on the Sycamore basketball team last year) is a big time wide receiver that can definitely play at the FBS level. 16 catches for 289 yards and 3 TD in the first 3 games this year after 31 catches for 558 yards and 8 TD last year. Hopefully, MAC schools start to take notice.

To be a serious contender, Vikes have to block much better. Offense is not explosive. Defense can’t hold forever . Leading 14-0 but not convincing.