GMC Football 2023

Who will be top 3 in the GMC no particular order

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe I'm not aware enough of the Colerain area. Colerain Ave., Colerain HS, and Northwest HS is about all of my experience. Colerain HS began moving to Northwest HS athletic program about 10-12 years ago. Football hung on for a while, but it's over. Multiple HS districts can work, just comparing to Lakota isn't a good comparison. However, if enrollment is dropping maybe a 1 HS solution would be helpful. The facilities at both schools are sub-par. Colerain and the GMC aren't a fit any longer.

Maybe I'm not aware enough of the Colerain area. Colerain Ave., Colerain HS, and Northwest HS is about all of my experience. Colerain HS began moving to Northwest HS athletic program about 10-12 years ago. Football hung on for a while, but it's over. Multiple HS districts can work, just comparing to Lakota isn't a good comparison. However, if enrollment is dropping maybe a 1 HS solution would be helpful. The facilities at both schools are sub-par. Colerain and the GMC aren't a fit any longer.
Colerain is a fit for the GMC if they combined high schools but stand alone they are struggling.
CHS offers much more for students than NWHS from sports, clubs, other activities and leadership.
CHS also has a very active booster program. NWHS struggles with boosters, parent and alumni support.

Last edited:
It may be a little early to say the league is not any good...WEST and Princeton will be contenders.
Middletown, Hamilton Sycamore is improved from last year. (I think Sycamore may surprise some people).
FF, Mason are in a down year but better than a lot of other area programs.
Colerain no longer is the team to beat out of R4 but, they lost that title a few years back.
EAST and OH will be better than CHS but fall behind the others as they will round out the bottom of the GMC..
Given the one non-league game scheduling, you'll have to wait until the playoffs to pass judgment in a collection of one-game samples. The teams outside of the GMC in this region don't look like their usual world beater selves, either.

Colerain is a fit for the GMC if they combined high schools but stand alone they are struggling.
CHS offers much more for students than NWHS from sports, clubs, other activities and leadership.
CHS also has a very active booster program. NWHS struggles with boosters, parent and alumni support.
Is there a 1 school plan being discussed?

Is there a 1 school plan being discussed?
There is a survey going out to residents asking if they want one or two HS and a few other questions.

With NW only having 700 students it does not make sense to build a new HS for that small amount of students. If they decide to keep the district divided it would be better use of taxpayers dollars to build a campus like WW or Taylor with a middle school attached. Its still not a good use of tax money to try to operate two secondary campuses.
If the district decides on building two schools I could see maybe a freshman building and provide transportation so they can get kids to school or, a CTE center to give students more opportunities as BT is using a lottery system that leaves out a lot of deserving students.

There is a survey going out to residents asking if they want one or two HS and a few other questions.

With NW only having 700 students it does not make sense to build a new HS for that small amount of students. If they decide to keep the district divided it would be better use of taxpayers dollars to build a campus like WW or Taylor with a middle school attached. Its still not a good use of tax money to try to operate two secondary campuses.
If the district decides on building two schools I could see maybe a freshman building and provide transportation so they can get kids to school or, a CTE center to give students more opportunities as BT is using a lottery system that leaves out a lot of deserving students.
Never understood why Colerain did not join the Great Oaks vocational system.

If the leadership of NWLSD doesn’t figure out a way to combine into one high school and get a levy passed to build a new high school with adequate facilities, they are completely missing the boat and the district should clean house. It is such and obvious move. If the football seasons that both teams are having right now don’t show that, I don’t know what does. It will doom the district for the next 20+ years if they don’t get this right.

Never understood why Colerain did not join the Great Oaks vocational system.
GO was close to providing CTE programs. Butler Tech. gave NWLSD a couple hundred thousand to go with them. They also rented the Houston elementary campus. Both BT and GO now use a lottery system because they have so many school districts feeding into them. Sad, It negatively affects the students that work hard and have the basic essential skills coming into a program, good attendance etc. Now its the luck of the draw.

If the leadership of NWLSD doesn’t figure out a way to combine into one high school and get a levy passed to build a new high school with adequate facilities, they are completely missing the boat and the district should clean house. It is such and obvious move. If the football seasons that both teams are having right now don’t show that, I don’t know what does. It will doom the district for the next 20+ years if they don’t get this right.
District has been underperforming for over 25 years. 3rd grade 8th grade state testing is bad. HS Attendance is under 85%. No transportation at the HS level and transportation issues at the other levels. Its a train wreck but better than CPS and a few other districts.

Last edited:
Power Rankings:
1-Princeton-no doubt
2-West-7/8 game winning streak coming
3-Hamilton-need to win convincingly vs OH
4-Sycamore-kick the Cards then OH to solidify top 4.
5-Middletown-back to back cup cakes to open the season, a losing streak could be coming.
6-Mason-ho hum
7-Fairfield-the always disappointing Indians.
8-East-if you can score this Indian team is allow it.
9-OHills-for the 1st time in 35 years the LowLanders are thrilled to have Colerain in the league
10-Colerain-She is singing.

How would you compare Princeton to the GCL squads? City seems somewhat down this year overall, and a year a team like Princeton could win R4.

How would you compare Princeton to the GCL squads? City seems somewhat down this year overall, and a year a team like Princeton could win R4.
Haven't seen the GCL, but Princeton doesn't strike me as a true state contender. They have performed the best so far compared to the rest of the GMC, but everyone looks weaker than usual. Their defense has good size, depth, and athletes. Their offense seems pretty basic and I think you can attribute that to breaking in a sophomore quarterback and their Vandy commit top receiver out with an ACL injury. On top of that, anything involving a long snap and a kick of some kind so far has been an adventure.

Haven't seen the GCL, but Princeton doesn't strike me as a true state contender. They have performed the best so far compared to the rest of the GMC, but everyone looks weaker than usual. Their defense has good size, depth, and athletes. Their offense seems pretty basic and I think you can attribute that to breaking in a sophomore quarterback and their Vandy commit top receiver out with an ACL injury. On top of that, anything involving a long snap and a kick of some kind so far has been an adventure.
Vikes has alot of work to do, with the soph qb he is very talented hopefully what has been working continues to work. They have the athletes on offense to be more dynamic in the passing game but like they say if its not broke dont fix it. Hopefully that logic doesnt hurt them vs a good run stopping team. As far as gcl itll come down to whose more disciplined and whose line holds up the most

District has been underperforming for over 25 years. 3rd grade 8th grade state testing is bad. HS Attendance is under 85%. Not transportation at the HS level and transportation issues at the other levels. Its a train wreck but better than CPS and a few other districts.
Many districts don't have bussing at the HS level.

I would have to agree. Even though it appears the Vikes may be the best in the GMC thus far, they need a lot of work to seriously contend. Offense has not really had a break out game. I think it is a combination of blocking, QB reads and poor play calling. Throw the ball and make extra points. No idea why the speedy slots and WR are not more involved. Total offensive yards is way down. Numerous penalties don’t help also. I hope to see a cleaner game against Mason. May be a barometer of how the rest of the season goes. Thrilled to see them at the top for now, but, have to keep grinding. Things are a lot better on Chester Road.

GO was close to providing CTE programs. Butler Tech. gave NWLSD a couple hundred thousand to go with them. They also rented the Houston elementary campus. Both BT and GO now use a lottery system because they have so many school districts feeding into them. Sad, It negatively affects the students that work hard and have the basic essential skills coming into a program, good attendance etc. Now its the luck of the draw.
Butler tech also has and had more programs to offer, more campuses, more state of the art equipment than GO, which in theory would impact more students. I believe originally BT was going to utilize the vocational building at Colerain too, not sure if that ever happened or not.

Power Rankings
1. Princeton - Making Pat Mancuso proud.
2. Lakota West - Despite the bad start, a statement was made against FF. Bolden's track record would indicate they may not lose again until the playoffs.
3. Hamilton - Have to respect the way they beat up on Mason. Impressive game for the Blue.
4. Sycamore - A win is a win. And they keep winning.
5. Middletown - 2 wins. Better than no wins.
6. Mason - Offense needs to hold the rope. Defense can't do everything for the Comets.
7. Fairfield - 0-3
8. Lakota East - 0-3 Expecting a good game between East and Fairfield.
9. Oak Hills - Not last. Which I believe counts as a successful year for the Highlanders. I don't think they'll beat FF or East.
10. Colerain - Yikes.

Agree with that assessment. With an offensive line that is a little suspect, downfield passing also gets taken out of the playbook when you can't protect long enough for recievers to get open. Princeton will need to seriously sure up on special team to be a real contender with the top of the GCL.

Agree with that assessment. With an offensive line that is a little suspect, downfield passing also gets taken out of the playbook when you can't protect long enough for recievers to get open. Princeton will need to seriously sure up on special team to be a real contender with the top of the GCL.
Problem is is that I don’t think anyone in D1 in Cincinnati is a state contender in a typical year, but somebody has to win the region. Princeton beat Lakota West similarly to how X beat them. X is ok, but far from a dominant team as this past Saturday showed, losing to the #2 ranked team in TN. Moeller is 1-2 with 2 non-competitive losses against admittedly very good Indiana teams (teams Moeller would typically beat) and supposedly struggled with Milford in a scrimmage. Elder is 2-1 with a loss to a good team, but they were supposedly outplayed in a scrimmage against Lakota West. Milford is the only other 3-0 team in R4 (!!!), and they blew a huge lead against Lebanon and needed to win it in the closing seconds. Princeton can win this region. So can Lakota West. Sycamore and Hamilton appear to be solid football teams and will be tough outs as well. Then R2 is also supposedly not that good this year as Springfield has also taken a step back. You play the teams in front of you, and that means the GMC can still contend.

Butler tech also has and had more programs to offer, more campuses, more state of the art equipment than GO, which in theory would impact more students. I believe originally BT was going to utilize the vocational building at Colerain too, not sure if that ever happened or not.
The district operates 5 programs. One of the best in Ohio is the Colerain diesel program.
When the district offered a full slate of programs including welding, auto mechanics auto body, construction, health tech etc. The district could get 25 students in each program. Now they get 0 zero in some cases due to the luck of the draw and just a couple in others since they must compete with all the other school districts.

Last edited:
When Great Oaks was formed the entire system was state of the art. Can’t imagine what Butler had that Great Oaks didn’t.

When Great Oaks was formed the entire system was state of the art. Can’t imagine what Butler had that Great Oaks didn’t.
I toured all the campuses at both probably 12 years ago, BT beat GO in every single aspect with regards to tech.

That may have changed as it's been a while.

I toured all the campuses at both probably 12 years ago, BT beat GO in every single aspect with regards to tech.

That may have changed as it's been a while.
I’m talking about 50 years ago when Oak Hills, Taylor, Harrison and just about every other public district around joined Great Oaks. Colerain went their own way and I can’t believe it’s because someone else was state of the art. Great Oaks may have been passed since then but that doesn’t explain Colerain’s original decision.

I’m talking about 50 years ago when Oak Hills, Taylor, Harrison and just about every other public district around joined Great Oaks. Colerain went their own way and I can’t believe it’s because someone else was state of the art. Great Oaks may have been passed since then but that doesn’t explain Colerain’s original decision.
Colerain had their own building behind the school for vocational programs. They didn't need to go elsewhere way back when.

The state of football in this conference and in this region has fallen so far...it makes me sad.

Hopeful to see some new blood atop the standings at the end of the season. Good luck to the GMC teams the rest of the way.

-CardinalsFan

NWLSD pulled out of CTE because their facilities needed an up grade and they did not have the money to retool the programs.
Also staffing was becoming an issue as their instructors started to retire. GO is the largest career center in the state. (The district is the size of Rhode island). While there are state of the art programs at GO many of the lab areas are tired and outdated. Lip stick on a pig one may say as there has been millions poured into a face lift of the buildings programs, not so much.
BT has newer facilities and has separated the campuses from adult/HS that has paid off big time. GO is still operating in the 90s model but still supports the most students looking for a career. Both are underserving students with a lottery system because they are excepting so many districts they honestly cannot handle or create opportunities for those that want it. The answer is...pull names out of a hat... https://www.greatoaks.com/

NWLSD pulled out of CTE because their facilities needed an up grade and they did not have the money to retool the programs.
Also staffing was becoming an issue as their instructors started to retire. GO is the largest career center in the state. (The district is the size of Rhode island). While there are state of the art programs at GO many of the lab areas are tired and outdated. Lip stick on a pig one may say as there has been millions poured into a face lift of the buildings programs, not so much.
BT has newer facilities and has separated the campuses from adult/HS that has paid off big time. GO is still operating in the 90s model but still supports the most students looking for a career. Both are underserving students with a lottery system because they are excepting so many districts they honestly cannot handle or create opportunities for those that want it. The answer is...pull names out of a hat... https://www.greatoaks.com/
True. There needs to be a major upgrade in. vocational ed. I wish the public would get behind that but I have my doubts.

True. There needs to be a major upgrade in. vocational ed. I wish the public would get behind that but I have my doubts.
Couldn't agree more.

The issue is, nobody wants to front the cost for vocational education. Most in the education field still turn their noses up at the thought of "good, smart" students going the vocational route. This was one of many reasons I left education. When I look at my close group of friends.....overall those that went to college are doing worse financially than those who did vocational schooling. Those guys were making serious money at 20 years old, sometimes earlier at 18. I don't know why we seem to push people away from these options. When properly trained, and a good work ethic, these young men and women will never be without jobs.

We need more of these schools so there isn't a lottery, we need to educate students in high school on what kind of salaries different job fields typically pay, and also need to be upfront about the absolutely insane cost of college.

But I don't see anyone agreeing to pay more taxes so these programs could be expanded.