• Princeton (8-6)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middletown (9-13)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lakota West (16-9)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
East played 8 kids. Krounage shot the ball very well and Mitchell had 7 rebounds picking up the slack with Kenrich being out.
So last night was my first time getting to see East in person this year. After the game I came away with a lot of feelings on this year's team.

1) This team doesn't have an identity yet. This is sort of odd considering the core of the team has been playing together since grade school. Watching them I felt like they didn't know who they want to be. Offensively they look stagnant, uninspired, and lacking chemistry amongst them all. There were more than a handful of unforced turnovers last night due to players not having a feel for each other and what they are about to do.

2) Kronauge is a shooter. Thats what he wants to be, that's what he's allowed to be, it is what it is. With that said, he's a better player and has more value to the team when he allows those shots to come to him and doesn't just shoot because the ball is in his hands. He allowed the open shots to come to him last night and didn't force them. The result was not just a better shooting night, but he made many game impacting shots.

3) Mitchell in my opinion is the best addition to the team. I feel like his impact and potential are slightly overlooked by everyone.

4) Multiple people have said Adkins needs to pair down his rotation to 7 or 8, but in all honesty, given the skill level of the entire roster, this is a team of at a minimum 8, but should consistently get 10 players playing time. The 8, 9 and 10 players should be getting around 10 minutes each. The top 2 or 3 players on this team just aren't dominate enough, and the bottom 2 or 3 just don't drop off enough to warrant anything different.

5) This team is running more half court set plays than any East team I've seen in the past. They've always been almost exclusively a motion team. Ball always moving, everyone touches it, wear the defense down until they make a mistake, then take the easy shot regardless of who has the ball at that moment. The set plays are seeing the ball sitting still a lot, enticing players to want to force 1 on 1 attempts to beat their man. Not sure why the change of philosophy this year, and not really a fan of it either.

This is still potentially one of the top 3 teams in Cincinnati, but they aren't there right now.

Last edited:
Friday Night:
Oak Hills celebrates LaSalle win
Hamilton YMCA is packed
Sycamore 72 Colerain 45 Aviators get Hall back, they get to work on whatever they want to in preparation for stretch run and tournament. Cardinals looking at 0-22, the only hope is when the Hills arrives in Feb.
Fairfield 70 Mason 53 Indians have 3 straight road games coming up. At Princeton could be interesting then at Sycamore for the rematch.
Princeton 62 Middletown 50 Good effort vs East and the Middies are dangerous, but the young Vikings are better. Harden?
Battle of the Lakota Tribe:
East Bird 63 West Bird 54 Will East be at full strength? Will they continue to play full court game? Will West look to slow it down like they did vs Fairfield?

2) Kronauge is a shooter. Thats what he wants to be, that's what he's allowed to be, it is what it is. With that said, he's a better player and has more value to the team when he allows those shots to come to him and doesn't just shoot because the ball is in his hands. He allowed the open shots to come to him last night and didn't force them. The result was not just a better shooting night, but he made many game impacting shots.
I'll agree and disagree.

Disagree - He is a shooter, but also a scorer. He has the skill to score at all 3 levels. That's not very common at the high school age so if I were his coach, I'd give him some freedom to create as well.

Agree - I think you hit the nail on the head about the game coming to him and shooting good shots. He does shoot alot of forced and bad shots.

Find the happy medium that elevates your team.

Friday Night:
Oak Hills celebrates LaSalle win
Hamilton YMCA is packed
Sycamore 72 Colerain 45 Aviators get Hall back, they get to work on whatever they want to in preparation for stretch run and tournament. Cardinals looking at 0-22, the only hope is when the Hills arrives in Feb.
Fairfield 70 Mason 53 Indians have 3 straight road games coming up. At Princeton could be interesting then at Sycamore for the rematch.
Princeton 62 Middletown 50 Good effort vs East and the Middies are dangerous, but the young Vikings are better. Harden?
Battle of the Lakota Tribe:
East Bird 63 West Bird 54 Will East be at full strength? Will they continue to play full court game? Will West look to slow it down like they did vs Fairfield?
Colerain already has one win.

I'm hearing a certain FF player has been ruled ineligible due to transfer rules for the rest of the season. Any truth to this?
I know who this would be regarding, but I have heard there is nothing to this. Only way he is ineligible is if he doesn’t actually live in the Fairfield school district.

I know who this would be regarding, but I have heard there is nothing to this. Only way he is ineligible is if he doesn’t actually live in the Fairfield school district.
Very vague. Is this anything other than rumor? What specifically has been thrown out there?

So last night was my first time getting to see East in person this year. After the game I came away with a lot of feelings on this year's team.

1) This team doesn't have an identity yet. This is sort of odd considering the core of the team has been playing together since grade school. Watching them I felt like they didn't know who they want to be. Offensively they look stagnant, uninspired, and lacking chemistry amongst them all. There were more than a handful of unforced turnovers last night due to players not having a feel for each other and what they are about to do.

3) Mitchell in my opinion is the best addition to the team. I feel like his impact and potential are slightly overlooked by everyone.

4) Multiple people have said Adkins needs to pair down his rotation to 7 or 8, but in all honesty, given the skill level of the entire roster, this is a team of at a minimum 8, but should consistently get 10 players playing time. The 8, 9 and 10 players should be getting around 10 minutes each. The top 2 or 3 players on this team just aren't dominate enough, and the bottom 2 or 3 just don't drop off enough to warrant anything different.

5) This team is running more half court set plays than any East team I've seen in the past. They've always been almost exclusively a motion team. Ball always moving, everyone touches it, wear the defense down until they make a mistake, then take the easy shot regardless of who has the ball at that moment. The set plays are seeing the ball sitting still a lot, enticing players to want to force 1 on 1 attempts to beat their man. Not sure why the change of philosophy this year, and not really a fan of it either.

This is still potentially one of the top 3 teams in Cincinnati, but they aren't there right now.
Your analysis is dead on about East. It seems like on offense, they don’t get everyone involved. Defensively, their press can be bipolar at times and hurt them.

Very vague. Is this anything other than rumor? What specifically has been thrown out there?
I’m vague because the player doesn’t need to be named when he didn’t do anything wrong. Apparently another school complained (don’t know which school), which is the only reason why there is even a rumor out there.

I’m vague because the player doesn’t need to be named when he didn’t do anything wrong. Apparently another school complained (don’t know which school), which is the only reason why there is even a rumor out there.
Let's guess which team complained, East or Sycamore? Well let's just hope his parent(s) got housing in Fairfield. I would think Fairfield did a thorough job of establishing his eligibility, knowing that a talented player would bring out questions. I guess Mt. Healthy could have also complained since player one of Fairfield player's use to go there and left for a prep school.

Your analysis is dead on about East. It seems like on offense, they don’t get everyone involved. Defensively, their press can be bipolar at times and hurt them.
They aren't trying to straight man press anymore. Its starting as that but its commaflaging a halfcourt trap. But only if the guard bringing it up is struggling and needs help. The defender that gets dragged back with the player coming to help sneaks off to trap the ball handler. Then everyone else rotates up to cover the next open man, leaving the furthest man down the court open. My guess is they assume the sudden pressure won't allow them to find the last man back.

A couple of the Lwest players have younger brothers on the Plains middle school 7th grade team- have heard they have a couple of kids who can dunk and have blown the rest of the GMC teams out of the water all season. Would love to go watch- Anyone know where the schedule for next weeks end of season tourney can be found?

A couple of the Lwest players have younger brothers on the Plains middle school 7th grade team- have heard they have a couple of kids who can dunk and have blown the rest of the GMC teams out of the water all season. Would love to go watch- Anyone know where the schedule for next weeks end of season tourney can be found?
I've got one of my former players on that team. They are putting up ridiculous scores. Like 60-3 type games. I'll see if I can get their remaining schedule. I was gonna try and catch a playoff game, hopefully the championship.

Let's guess which team complained, East or Sycamore? Well let's just hope his parent(s) got housing in Fairfield. I would think Fairfield did a thorough job of establishing his eligibility, knowing that a talented player would bring out questions. I guess Mt. Healthy could have also complained since player one of Fairfield player's use to go there and left for a prep school.
East/Sycamore could care less, they have transfers and welcome the competition in the GMC, I doubt it was them.

They aren't trying to straight man press anymore. Its starting as that but its commaflaging a halfcourt trap. But only if the guard bringing it up is struggling and needs help. The defender that gets dragged back with the player coming to help sneaks off to trap the ball handler. Then everyone else rotates up to cover the next open man, leaving the furthest man down the court open. My guess is they assume the sudden pressure won't allow them to find the last man back.
It's a run and jump press

I've got one of my former players on that team. They are putting up ridiculous scores. Like 60-3 type games. I'll see if I can get their remaining schedule. I was gonna try and catch a playoff game, hopefully the championship.
Plains as good as the James Dews/Josh Chichester Hopewell team from way back when?

East depth is probably the deepest outside of maybe Centerville in this area. I'm just talking depth so please don't kill me with the comparisonto Centerville. The thing that I've noticed is the pairing of that depth is what hurts them at times ... they're extremely skilled and talented but I believe trying to get guys minutes because of their depth has hurt them a bit. Crazy is they have only lost 2 games locally and we're nitpicking with them. Testament to them as a program and what they have done over the years. They're really good.

Kronague takes really bad shots and I believe they have learned to take the good with the bad with him. East top 2 guys Peck and Coles have only had 2 to 3 games together where they dominated so I agree with that assessment but I'd take them 2 over most because of their skillset, chemistry and how long they have played together. This team is scary good and the tweaks and line up changes here and there seems to be the working of the staff priming them for a deep run. They gave up 2 games that they can't get back and now they need help to win the GMC so I think they have said let's not focus on that but focus on the next part of the season that matters most getting a really good seed and making a run.

I like Mitchell but he seems a little frail and unsure of himself at times when I watch them. I think as he gets more time with some of the core guys he'll be a real X factor for them down the stretch. If he starts to gain confidence their weapons from Coles, Peck, Kronague, Adkins, Mitchell, Kenrich... that's a tough 6 then you add in the the other guys ... if they click with 9, I could see East getting out of this very, very, very tough region.

They're probably the most dangerous team out of the top teams in the city if you ask me. Although I do like FF, I worry about their depth. They stretch 6-7 guys.

I heard the starters have barely played yet Still blowing out every team- closest game was maybe Princeton by almost 30. Leon must be hoping they all stick around!

Great effort by the Middies Friday night. The direction of basketball is a 180 turnaround compared to the last 4-5 seasons. They could have a little win streak coming. It would be great for them to bet the X Bombers after their 2 GMC wins coming up.