Friday Finals (11/24/23)

Division I
#12 Springfield def. #5 Cincinnati Moeller, 26-19 (OT)
#1 Lakewood St. Edward def. #6 Hilliard Bradley, 26-3

Division II
#1 Massillon Washington def. #4 Cincinnati Anderson, 55-7
#3 Akron Hoban def. #2 Avon, 17-14

Division III
#1 Toledo Central Catholic def. #7 Chardon, 35-7
#4 Bishop Watterson def. # 6 Celina, 27-14

Division IV
#5 Cleveland Glenville def. #4 Canton South, 42-21
#3 Kettering Alter def. #2 Steubenville, 48-0

Division V
#1 Perry def. #7 Harvest Prep, 22-8
#2 Liberty Center def. #6 Valley View, 14-10

Division VI
#1 Kirtland def. #2 Garaway, 17-0
#2 Versailles def. #9 Columbus Grove, 30-13

Division VII
#1 Marion Local def. #10 Patrick Henry, 42-0
#5 Dalton def. #3 Caldwell, 55-7

Last edited:
Everyone complains about 16 teams making the playoffs and all the no1 seeds vs no16 seeds blowouts,what about tonight in the state semi's all theses blowouts, that's a total disgrace to be in the final 4 and get blownout

Even in Kirtland's one year of coming up short of the final four since 2011, it was hardly anything I would shake my head at.

In 2016, Kirtland went 11-2. They lost to Cuyahoga Heights twice, 21-0 and 17-0. Cuyahoga Hts lost to Marion Local 21-17 in the finals.

Everyone complains about 16 teams making the playoffs and all the no1 seeds vs no16 seeds blowouts,what about tonight in the state semi's all theses blowouts, that's a total disgrace to be in the final 4 and get blownout
The thing with HS football is that if either team has even the slightest advantage, it will be expoited, and the coaching/players won't be able to close the advantage in the span of a 48 minute game. That slight advantage will snowball quickly.

It appears the talent is concentrated in a few dozen places. You wouid have been crazy to take the field instead of TCC, Hoban, Massillon, Marion Local, Kirtland, Glenville and St. Edward’s prior to the playoffs. It’s no fault of their own, but Marion Local shouldn’t be playing in a division with so few competitive programs. The gap between them and 98% of teams in D7 is enormous. The same can be said in the other divisions, which raises the question of whether Ohio needs to eliminate two divisions and replace those with eight man and open divisions?

Just illustrates further that we don’t need 16 teams. 8 was fine.

It appears the talent is concentrated in a few dozen places. You wouid have been crazy to take the field instead of TCC, Hoban, Massillon, Marion Local, Kirtland, Glenville and St. Edward’s prior to the playoffs. It’s no fault of their own, but Marion Local shouldn’t be playing in a division with so few competitive programs. The gap between them and 98% of teams in D7 is enormous. The same can be said in the other divisions, which raises the question of whether Ohio needs to eliminate two divisions and replace those with eight man and open divisions?
Why would you make schools capable of fielding an 11 man team, have an 8 man?

Why would you make schools capable of fielding an 11 man team, have an 8 man?
I would eliminate two divisions and replace them with separate eight man and open divisions. I purpose Open, D1, D2, D3, D4, D5 and 8 Man divisions. I envision 16-32 schools such as St. Ed’s, Massillon, Hoban, Moeller, Springfield, TCC and Glenville competing in the open division playoff. Anderson, Troy, Xenia and similar schools could potentially move back to an expanded D1 field. Dissolve a lower division or two and add an eight man division where 32-64 schools could compete for a championship.

Last edited: