Elder Football 2020

Went by the Pit today. There were roped off sections in the stands. It may have just been for a maintenance project but it caught my interest. I would imagine they will use the whole facility in order to maximize social distancing.
I was there too. Its not for maintenance. That is the player section this year. I heard that it is being expanded to go from the 15 or 10 to the other 15 or 10.

I saw this in the 2020 GMC Football thread(http://yappi.com/forum/index.php?threads/2020-gmc-football.333078/post-7715683):

Sycamore scrimmaged Elder last night and I was told they held their own. Elder apparently is rebuilding their offense but still has a big line. Sycamore was able to move the ball effectively as I don’t think Elder is very good on defense.

I think Sycamore should be pretty good this year, but the GMC is loaded. 4-2 would be a nice regular season based on the schedule. They should beat West Clermont, and I would expect wins against Lakota East and Princeton. Mason will be a toss up. Lakota West and Colerain will be challenges.

pboy said they weren't very good this year......sycamore, since datillo took over is good every year for the most part. now his definition of good may be different than others, but sycamore get the most of its football team every year, and for the most part are a tough out for everyone.

jtk
()

pboy said they weren't very good this year......sycamore, since datillo took over is good every year for the most part. now his definition of good may be different than others, but sycamore get the most of its football team every year, and for the most part are a tough out for everyone.

jtk
()
I had heard they weren’t very good. Elder has a lot of work to do, especially on the Lines. Getting LS week 1 is a really crappy draw. Honestly, as long as they can keep from getting a running clock put on them, I’ll consider it a good start. As it stands, you’ve got a new QB behind a brand new (almost) OL and limited practice going up vs a Secondary with 4 D1 players, including 2 going power 5. Then you’ve also got LS bringing back a starting QB who won a state title and a RB who is heavily recruited at the D1 level.

Elder could be good as the yr progresses, Cooper Johnson supposedly looks really good right now and Hambleton will be good with more experience. However, the circumstances are not in their favor going into Friday.

It depends on who you talk to. I heard the scrimmage went well, and Elder moved the ball pretty easily. I also heard the line looked much better than everyone was predicting. Yes, they have some work to do, but that is exactly what they should want out of a scrimmage. It was a 10 plays/10 plays scrimmage. It really has no indication on what to expect week 1 vs. Lasalle.

I had heard they weren’t very good. Elder has a lot of work to do, especially on the Lines. Getting LS week 1 is a really crappy draw. Honestly, as long as they can keep from getting a running clock put on them, I’ll consider it a good start. As it stands, you’ve got a new QB behind a brand new (almost) OL and limited practice going up vs a Secondary with 4 D1 players, including 2 going power 5. Then you’ve also got LS bringing back a starting QB who won a state title and a RB who is heavily recruited at the D1 level.

Elder could be good as the yr progresses, Cooper Johnson supposedly looks really good right now and Hambleton will be good with more experience. However, the circumstances are not in their favor going into Friday.

Lasalle is not getting a running clock on Elder. Everyone forgets Lasalle lost some key players too. I'm expecting a typical close game Friday night.

LS lost from last year.
Ben Blevins DL
Cam Porter RB
Luke Thiemann LB
Cole Hildebrand DB
Jake Seibert K/WR

Lasalle is also going to be in trouble if they think some of their D1 talent is going to play both ways this Friday night with it still being hot and humid out. They will not be conditioned yet in week 1 for that.

I will predict Elder 24 Lasalle 21 in the "upset".

Lasalle is not getting a running clock on Elder. Everyone forgets Lasalle lost some key players too. I'm expecting a typical close game Friday night.

LS lost from last year.
Ben Blevins DL
Cam Porter RB
Luke Thiemann LB
Cole Hildebrand DB
Jake Seibert K/WR

Lasalle is also going to be in trouble if they think some of their D1 talent is going to play both ways this Friday night with it still being hot and humid out. They will not be conditioned yet in week 1 for that.

I will predict Elder 24 Lasalle 21 in the "upset".

I don’t see how Elder can protect Hambleton and actually throw the ball vs that secondary. I also don’t see them stopping Payne and Branham. I hope I’m wrong, but I think LS controls the game from the start and wins handily.

It will be a challenge to limit Payne for sure, and they have to do a better job controlling Branham also. He can't have another 100+ rushing day.

Ramsey will have a good plan. Lasalle is going to have a really tough time trying to prepare for 2 different QBs.

They should also pump in synthetic crowd noise. Make the game feel a little more real. It sounds stupid, but it has an effect mentally. This probably doesn’t seem “real” to these kids, with all the chaos and the general cluster f with the scheduling being turned upside down. There is no easing into this season.

The players will be fine. They are used to playing in games with a small amount of fans from jv/freshman games. Home field advantage doesn't seem to have much of an impact in GCL games. The players will be ready fans or no fans.

No tickets are available to anyone except the band/players' immediate families.

I believe it is 8 tickets per player and the band won't be there the first 2 games? I also heard differing things on students. One person said students could not buy tickets week 1, and then I heard they will be able to. I guess it could change and we will find out in 4 days.

not sure what part of close family people don't understand. if you are close family to player, band member, cheerleader, or coach you aren't going to any games this season, at least regular season games.

jtk
()

Has anyone heard if students will be allotted one ticket each?

I heard they do not. I believe that might be on DeWine. It doesn't make sense, because they are going to school together already and there will be plenty of extra space to spread out to social distance. Indiana schools put X marks in the stands for their students to stand/sit during the game to keep the social distancing. No one died, all survivors.

There’s really not going to be that much extra space. If me, my girlfriend, Omar and Trey all go to the game, the 4 seats on both sides and in front/behind us all have to be empty. So our 4 seats are really 16 seats. Then they are blocking off a portion of the stands for the players to sit in. I’ve heard as much as 10 rows between the 30s. That pushes everyone down further. There will surely be parents sitting near or in the horseshoe.

DeWine reiterated at his press conference today that fans are to be only family or those close to the player, band member, or cheerleader. He did make a comment that led me to believe that more fans might be allowed later on if things go well. He commented that they need to start out slow which makes you think things might be expanded later if all goes well.

Cooper Johnson listed as a breakout start by tristate football.

Cooper Johnson (Elder), Sr, RB – It’s hard to say a guy that ran for 10 touchdowns as a junior is considered a breakout performer but Johnson is just that. The Elder captain, a team and crowd favorite gets his shot at being a workhorse out of the Panthers backfield after gaining 353 yards a year ago.

Cooper Johnson listed as a breakout start by tristate football.

Cooper Johnson (Elder), Sr, RB – It’s hard to say a guy that ran for 10 touchdowns as a junior is considered a breakout performer but Johnson is just that. The Elder captain, a team and crowd favorite gets his shot at being a workhorse out of the Panthers backfield after gaining 353 yards a year ago.

I’ve heard he was very impressive in all the practices and scrimmages up to this point.

Let's do some math. If the roster is only allowed to be 60 players and each player gets 4 tickets. 240 tickets go to family. Assuming the other team has 60 players that is another 240. I don't know how many folks are in the band but for easy math I am going to say 60. So another 240 tickets. Now you next have students. The way OHSAA does their enrollment numbers is the previous years 9-11 grades. They list that number at 570. So Divide by 3 and multiply by 4 and then subtract the 60 on the field You get 700. So 700 +240+240+240= 1420.

So with my math at least 80 tickets should be available. We also know Elder's band does not have 60 members and not all 700 kids will go to the game on Friday Night. I would guess a couple hundred tickets would be available.

I'm hearing 4 tickets per player. No band week 1. That's 480 tickets between the 2 teams. I'd add in 20 admin/faculty/workers. There will be around 500 people in the stadium. There might be about 200 standing outside along the fence and the party deck I would guess.

If the players that do not get to dress are able to still get 4 tickets, then that's probably another 100 people between the two teams.

Freeman is a bit of a surprise. Hearing he may actially push for some pt at DT especially with Tucker and Folzenlogen playing OL

Freeman is a bit of a surprise. Hearing he may actially push for some pt at DT especially with Tucker and Folzenlogen playing OL
I think they’ll eventually settle on a side of the ball, just like last yr. However, they’re still trying to figure how to piece this together. I was surprised to see Volkerding moved up and playing LB. He was an OL last yr on Frosh.

50-14 in favor of Cathedral after three quarters.

Update: Cathedral won 56-20.

Things have changed this year for sure. Here I thought we would not get a game against our Catholic brothers this year after watching spectacular games between Cathedral and Elder the last 2 years. With the wacky season and Louisville Trinity having to drop the game with Cathedral because their season was pushed back we find ourselves here. A Cathedral vs Elder game again! Here is to another classic meeting between the Irish and the Panthers. Best of luck this week to the Panthers!