Elder Enrollment Strategy

Will be interesting how parents approach enrollments for next year. If there is distance learning, can the school do anything to get government support like small businesses? If kids can’t physically attend school (or participate in extracurricular activities), who is going to pay tuition when they can get credits for free at a public school?

The Archdiocese will lobby pretty hard at some point I’d think to Open back up Church and School. The Archdiocese would need to get the Government Support, not the individual Parochial Schools?

Anyone with a kid currently at Elder, how have things gone between Staff and Students the last month? How many hours a day are Students required to put in (online). Kids still have Homework?

The Archdiocese will lobby pretty hard at some point I’d think to Open back up Church and School. The Archdiocese would need to get the Government Support, not the individual Parochial Schools?

Anyone with a kid currently at Elder, how have things gone between Staff and Students the last month? How many hours a day are Students required to put in (online). Kids still have Homework?

Its a mixed bag. Kids definitely have homework. Some teachers are more stringent than others. All have their own expectations. I don’t think there’s a time requirement, but there’s definitely an expectation to get your assignments and tests done on time.

Some kids are adapting very well and others are struggling. My guess is it’s really hard for the kids that need active teaching and a classroom setting. Everyone learns differently.

First time poster, long time reader. Thought I’d enter the discussion searching for things to do.

Interesting question this poses as I will admit I’ve had the same thought about the cost of education in this environment. I have one at Elder now and I simply can’t justify paying tuition for this arrangement next year. If others have children On this forum in private schools, do you know if there are plans to adjust this if distance learning and no extra curriculars continues? it seems like a fair question.

You can’t just send a bill and expect payment in this reality can you? Maybe it’s too early to decide that for next year.

I've reached out to the principal of my kid's Catholic grade school. I know him pretty well and asked if they were working on a tuition strategy for next year if things aren't "full normal." Supposed to talk to him soon.

From Upper Arlington superintedent.

They can’t expect families to pay full price for that can they?

Upper Arlington is a Public School in a middle to upper class neighborhood. Besides taxes and levies that have passed and if they have pay to play, what do you mean by full price? I know as far as Summer Sports Camps at High Schools, Some Schools in Cincinnati have said the Campers/Parents will have a possible Option for later date or a total refund.

Upper Arlington is a Public School in a middle to upper class neighborhood. Besides taxes and levies that have passed and if they have pay to play, what do you mean by full price? I know as far as Summer Sports Camps at High Schools, Some Schools in Cincinnati have said the Campers/Parents will have a possible Option for later date or a total refund.

sorry I thought that was from a private school as the previous post mentioned he was trying to get some information on the tuition strategy.

I guess another question would be if Elder plans to send anything out like this about their plans for next school year and what it means for tuition if distance learning and limited extra curriculars are still in place. Tuition payments start in June I believe. A little over a month away.

Won't happen but there should be a rebate/reduction in property taxes.

I guess another question would be if Elder plans to send anything out like this about their plans for next school year and what it means for tuition if distance learning and limited extra curriculars are still in place. Tuition payments start in June I believe. A little over a month away.

I’m sure Private and Public Schools will send out plans for next yr after they are made aware of the New State Guidelines. I’m hoping the Archdiocese Leadership has a voice in those talks. No knock on any private schools administrations I just think the Archdiocese swings with a bigger stick.

But, in regards to Catholic schools, I hope they are smart enough and ethical enough to not ask for full tuition if it is not "full normal."

I understand that Elder needs every penny too and that tuition dollars run the operation. At the same time, I hope there is upfront communication about maybe some alternatives that are being offered, or a potential reduction in certain situations.

Its going to rub a lot of people the wrong way if they have no solutions and just expect people just to start paying in a month. I don’t think that will happen, but we are getting close enough where people need to plan since it’s such a big expense.

I understand that Elder needs every penny too and that tuition dollars run the operation. At the same time, I hope there is upfront communication about maybe some alternatives that are being offered, or a potential reduction in certain situations.

Its going to rub a lot of people the wrong way if they have no solutions and just expect people just to start paying in a month. I don’t think that will happen, but we are getting close enough where people need to plan since it’s such a big expense.

Agree.

They should already have some solutions and more so after State Guidelines are set. However the solutions during an unprecedented time will definitely still upset some people as this stuff has affected some families differently than others. Has anything been done or said about folks still paying full tuition for this school yr? How much on Campus time didn’t happen this yr?

I remember Klonne as a cookie thief at lunch but he mostly picked on the football players. The '77 team was the best Elder football team I ever watched. The '77 Moeller football team was the best high school football team I ever watched and that includes the 2004 Colerain team. Kenny Brown was the best football player I ever saw at Elder. Every time he touched the ball there was the potential for a big play.

PantherVOR Lay off the Purple Drink my friend I think your commenting on wrong thread

S
They should already have some solutions and more so after State Guidelines are set. However the solutions during an unprecedented time will definitely still upset some people as this stuff has affected some families differently than others. Has anything been done or said about folks still paying full tuition for this school yr? How much on Campus time didn’t happen this yr?

Serious question (not looking to argue): What is unprecedented? It's not the CFR (case fatality rate). It's not the R0. Other than the reaction, what is unprecedented?

To my knowledge nothings been said or done. But as you said maybe each family is reaching out that may be having troubles. It hasn’t been a full quarter, but pretty close.

This late in the year, It’s probably hard to ask for money back. But next year is a different story. It’s a tough spot - Elder is probably in no position to substantially discount tuition, and at what point will families feel this type of education is worth the cost? Is it half? Is it more or less than that?

To me, if extras are canceled or limited, And distance learning continues in any form, that’s a huge value in Elders favor lost. You can get an online education anywhere.

This is a simple process , you either want the education Elder will provide for your son , or you don’t! If you think the public school system can provide a better educational experience then a private, you should go there. Pandemic or not! I’m certain that Elder will have their stuff together to remote learn in the fall. This caught everyone off guard public and private . I’m certain that some public’s will do just fine, some won’t. The door swings in the same direction for private’s . So public school educators and private’s should take a reduction of pay because of remote learning ? I think not , but this is what your asking for. Colleges are not going to lower tuition , guess my older 2 should just drop out of college bc they are self teaching themselves ! This will work itself out , I’m again certain that if you have a financial setback since agreement was in place they will work with anyone and everyone! Go Panthers

This is a simple process , you either want the education Elder will provide for your son , or you don’t! If you think the public school system can provide a better educational experience then a private, you should go there. Pandemic or not! I’m certain that Elder will have their stuff together to remote learn in the fall. This caught everyone off guard public and private . I’m certain that some public’s will do just fine, some won’t. The door swings in the same direction for private’s . So public school educators and private’s should take a reduction of pay because of remote learning ? I think not , but this is what your asking for. Colleges are not going to lower tuition , guess my older 2 should just drop out of college bc they are self teaching themselves ! This will work itself out , I’m again certain that if you have a financial setback since agreement was in place they will work with anyone and everyone! Go Panthers

self-teaching, no extra curriculars, no sports, no retreats, no friends,and no experience, etc is not worth $12,500.