Elder Basketball 2020-2021

They are not required but are allowed to wear Masks if they wish. Players have the Option to wear a Mask on the Court. Think some confusion because the Youth Leagues said No Masks on Court (safety issue) and OHSAA says they are Optional.

Gotcha and yes I agree.

Given the current circumstances if they get 10 games in they’ll be lucky.
The beginning of the season will be delayed, but it’s not like Football, there’s a lot more flexibility on when games can be played. You can play 2-3 games within a week.

The beginning of the season will be delayed, but it’s not like Football, there’s a lot more flexibility on when games can be played. You can play 2-3 games within a week.

It won't be delayed, Elder is scheduled to scrimmage Anderson on Wednesday and play a real game vs Aiken on Friday.

Looks like they will continue to try to get to 18-20 games even as games are canceled. I’d imagine scheduling has been an enormous pain in the neck this year for every sport. Kudos to them for trying to do right by the kids.

The new coach is Kevin Whitmer, whose son is on JV. They asked Jason Murphy to take a demotion. I guess his 38-3 record wasn't good enough the last two years.

Got it. Actually saw Coach Murphy last Saturday leaving the gym at OH. He did a very good job and put in a lot of time and effort at Elder. Good guy, good Coach! Not sure the point of Whitmer Coaching his son for one season, then what? Whit is a good guy and good Coach also though imo.

The new coach is Kevin Whitmer, whose son is on JV. They asked Jason Murphy to take a demotion. I guess his 38-3 record wasn't good enough the last two years.
Whitmer is never going to be a full time coach. He’s an extremely successful lawyer and I highly doubt he’d give that up for the pittance they pay coaches. There’s a reason almost all coaches also teach and that’s bc, that’s where 90+% of their pay comes from.

It seemed like Murphy was set up to be his successor, so I don’t know what to think. Either way, screw the drama for now, just focus on making the most out of these next 2 seasons, then deal with the fallout.

Looks like Cincy Public will pause until Jan now as well. There won't be a game vs Aiken.
The only hope is all ADs are in the same boat. As games are cancelled it means one of the two teams may be available to schedule. I still say a 10 game schedule will be a win for any team that can get it done.
If true I hope there is more to this story than what is being presented here.

Apparently it was a surprise to Murphy a week before the season started. Sounds like he was gearing up to get started.

It’s always seemed to me that the push of outside influences hits most on the basketball program. There seems to be a puppet master behind the scenes. But that’s just a hunch.

Last edited:
Rosters are set

Varsity

Carson Browne 10
Andrew Busam 11
Andrew Harp 11
Michael Keehan 12
Sean Keller 11
Michael Kirch 11
David Larkins 12
Matthew Menninger 11
John Miller 12
Youssouf Niangane 11
Scott Nieman 12
Antonio Walker 12
Sam Whitmer 10

JV
Carson Browne 10
Luke Flowers 10
Mason Goetz 10
Zachary Gutekunst 10
Kevin Hilton 10
Jake Rudemiller 10
Nick Salamone 10
Benjamin Schoster 10
Todd Tieman 10
Lucas Vaughn 10
Grady Wall 10
Samuel Whitmer 10

FR
Caden Ammon 9
Ryan Brass 9
Thomas Breitfelder 9
Joshua Dugan 9
Colton Ginn 9
Gino Hockenberry 9
Tyler Johnson 9
Sam Jones 9
Colin Josshua 9
Andrew Murphy 9
Jacob Priestle 9
Tyler Richie 9
Franklin Rieder 9
Jacob Schorsch 9
Henry Summers 9

The only hope is all ADs are in the same boat. As games are cancelled it means one of the two teams may be available to schedule. I still say a 10 game schedule will be a win for any team that can get it done.

I keep hearing the same thing, and it sounds like it was handled extremely poorly. I cannot say I blame Murphy for taking an opportunity elsewhere, he has a right to feel slighted.

I know its a longshot but, does anyone know if it's at all possible to watch the game against Aiken Friday?

I second this - any streaming for away games this year? I also realize it’s probably going to be tough.

Please no 2 minute possessions on offense and massive, chaotic subbing this year. Big potential this year, let’s make it happen.

On another note, has anyone seen any city polls or previews? Curious where they have Elder this year.

Last edited:
I second this - any streaming for away games this year? I also realize it’s probably going to be tough.

Please no 2 minute possessions on offense and massive, chaotic subbing this year. Big potential this year, let’s make it happen.

In the Dictators statement requesting only Parents be allowed to watch until at least the new yr, it says they strongly encourage live streaming. Hopefully they will allow a few students and a staff member or 2 in the building to allow the live streaming at Home or on the Road. Have not seen any City Polls but imagine Enquirer should have one today or sometime very soon.

I’ve heard some schools won’t allow Elder to come in and stream. I guess the question is - why would they care?

It’s one thing to not have the technology to do it, but another to refuse their entry to stream a game? Really?

This is going to be a tough game. Aiken went 13-10 last yr, but return all of their starting lineup.

40-21 E half way through Q2. This team looks impressive. Their ability to move the ball is exceptional. Crisp passing and clean cuts in the half court, but what makes this team difft is how well they get up and down the court. Haven’t seen an Elder bball team fly down the court like this