Dunbar gets no disciplinary action? Where is the respect the game mantra on this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if a player for the same team did the same thing this week, no action would need to be taken as long as the individual was punished? At some point, the program shares the blame and the sanctioning body has a duty to become involved.
Has this program had previous instances of attacking game officials?

For the record, I don't necessarily disagree that there seems to be a culture problem at Dunbar (tanking, double-digit fouls in one half, assaulting officials, etc.). Clearly they are on probation for a reason. However, it's not as though the school didn't take any action against this individual. If this incident causes them to violate their probation I am sure there will be more to come but I wouldn't be surprised if that takes longer.

But at the end of the day, the OHSAA is damned if it does, damned if it doesn't. There will always be people who complain about the course of action they do or don't take. The punishment levied for this action against the offender was sufficient (can't get much more severe than ending his high school athletic career and possible criminal charges).

Has this program had previous instances of attacking game officials?

For the record, I don't necessarily disagree that there seems to be a culture problem at Dunbar (tanking, double-digit fouls in one half, assaulting officials, etc.). Clearly they are on probation for a reason. However, it's not as though the school didn't take any action against this individual. If this incident causes them to violate their probation I am sure there will be more to come but I wouldn't be surprised if that takes longer.

But at the end of the day, the OHSAA is damned if it does, damned if it doesn't. There will always be people who complain about the course of action they do or don't take. The punishment levied for this action against the offender was sufficient (can't get much more severe than ending his high school athletic career and possible criminal charges).
Why would this incident NOT be a per se violation of their probation?

We had a player ejected from a game 2 years ago and he was only suspended for 1 game. Did we miss something?
I think 2 games is basketball, which is 10% of the year. One game seems right for a 10 game schedule.

All result in the player being ineligible to participate at any level for the remainder of that day.

The accompanying suspensions are set a two contests at the level equal to the level the incident occurred in.
For football, that suspension is one contest at the level equal to the level the incident occurred in.

I hate black and white policies like that. So if a player player grabs a ref's arm to get his attention when he disagrees with a call should not be the same penalty as a player wearing a helmet headbutting a ref. Sure the player grabbing the arm should be kicked out of the game but should not have to miss the rest of the season. Please allow room for common sense to be used. If you want to change touch to assalt I would be more more likely agree with you policy.

Go walk down around the Dayton bus station and start grabbing peoples arm. Grown men do not allow their arms to be grabbed without issues. Rules stands, no physical contact.

1: that weird forfeit attempt wasn't Dunbar's idea. that came from the district AD and everybody involved isn't there anymore. (never forget that Dayton Public fired the hall of fame basketball coach for something that happened during a football game.)

Go walk down around the Dayton bus station and start grabbing peoples arm. Grown men do not allow their arms to be grabbed without issues. Rules stands, no physical contact.

Player grabs my arm from behind and says... "Hey Ref, my teammate is hurt!"
Player grabs my arm from behind and says... "Hey Ref, you suck!"

Physical contact in each situation....

Both have happened to me.
Both handled differently.

Player grabs my arm from behind and says... "Hey Ref, my teammate is hurt!"
Player grabs my arm from behind and says... "Hey Ref, you suck!"

Physical contact in each situation....

Both have happened to me.
Both handled differently.

Take the human out of it. Hands off the Ref. Saying Hey Ref, my teammate is hurt is sufficient. The grab is unneeded.

out of curiosity, why does the official escape scrutiny for this exact reason? I'm not going to condone what the kid did, but the ref made contact with his back prior to the incident. the patently terrible reaction shouldn't justify an inappropriate action.

out of curiosity, why does the official escape scrutiny for this exact reason? I'm not going to condone what the kid did, but the ref made contact with his back prior to the incident. the patently terrible reaction shouldn't justify an inappropriate action..

Interesting. Do not like that at all. Head bunt warranted. Lets move on.

In all seriousness there is no need for refs to touch players besides common scenarios. If the ref initiated any type of contact that is beyond the norm, bye bye to you to.

Status
Not open for further replies.