Don’t Be Fooled, Fall Sports Not Looking Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH FB

If NCAA Football is on brink of disaster, so are we. Only thing saving us is at this point we aren’t testing athletes...yet. We are in denial right now if we think this is going away. Two credible articles...schools are going to eventually have to test.

If NCAA Football is on brink of disaster, so are we. Only thing saving us is at this point we aren’t testing athletes...yet. We are in denial right now if we think this is going away. Two credible articles...schools are going to eventually have to test.

Blah blah blah. First off, WSJ is a doom and gloom paper. The other article says things will look different. Most people are tired off this talk. We are playing. It will look different, so what. JFK is going to be really good this year. Come watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
WSJ, CNN, FOX, Fart Gazette, whatever, these are just all statistics, no opinion. You’re telling me that’s not interesting? Concerning? Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa State, Marshall, Oklahoma State. What if our schools make us test? What if they don’t test?

Protests as the national story will and is currently dying down, Fox already jumpin back on Covid Train. This isn’t good.

The narrative is now going to turn to "asymptomatic" positives. Every kid that tested positive at every one of those schools were asymptomatic. Not one of them are/were sick. What better way to keep the fear train rolling than to show that the monster is still out there and now it doesn't even get you sick, but it can kill everyone you love because you have it. This is going to be shoved down everyone's throats until the forced vaccinations are achieved.

We will have HS and NFL football. If college program's are too scared then we'll, that is on them.

Ultimately, I think it will come down to the daily death statistics and partially to the daily hospitalizations and ICU admissions. The numbers are trending lower. It will be tough to shut things down if it is only asymptomatic cases that are testing positive.

Here’s the deal, we don’t want these tests quicker and cheaper. If we don’t have required tests, everything will be fine, if we do, we are done this fall. It’s that simple. Jaws31 exactly right about narritive with asymptomatic, will be the new thing pushed on us.

I’m telling you, if tests become required weekly, we aren’t playing.

The only way there is not a fall season isif the NCAA appoints Mr and Mrs Doom (Fauxi and Acton) as the leader of the NCAA

nothing to do with them, completely to do if we have kids testing positive at a school. Can you imagine during season a few kids test positive, other school has knowledge, domino effect, etc. Also the most basic easy argument, if it’s too dangerous for NCAA too dangerous for HS, come on.

Here’s the deal, we don’t want these tests quicker and cheaper. If we don’t have required tests, everything will be fine, if we do, we are done this fall. It’s that simple. Jaws31 exactly right about narritive with asymptomatic, will be the new thing pushed on us.

Tests wont become required. Tests costs about $125 apiece. Who would pay for them? The schools can't afford it. Heck the state couldn't afford it. Tests would have to be done multiple times a week, on every kid in ohio that goes to school. Won't happen. And forget trying to make parents pay for it. I know I'm not paying for a test that could possibly say my kid is sick but he has no symptoms whatsoever and isn't sick, but trust us he's sick, but we don't know if he can transmit it to anyone, but he might be a danger to society, but we dont know.

Plus it wont be "too dangerous for the NCAA" if you think Alabama isn't playing then you dont know a thing about football. The ones that test positive will sit out for 14 days then rejoin the team. As soon as they realize that none of them ever get sick the positive tests will slowly disappear.

Blah blah blah. First off, WSJ is a doom and gloom paper. The other article says things will look different. Most people are tired off this talk. We are playing. It will look different, so what. JFK is going to be really good this year. Come watch.

The WSJ is basically a conservative publication, run by the same company that runs Fox News, so they would be less inclined to panic than other outlets.

The Wall Street Journal is controlled by Rupert Murdoch via Dow Jones Publications, which in turn is owned by Murdoch's News Corp. It published its first issue on July 8, 1889, under original publishers Charles Dow, Charles Bergstresser, and Edward Jones.

It is a conservative, business-oriented publication, but it is less overtly political than Murdoch's other major media outlet, Fox News.

This next month will decide everything in my opinion. If we don't show a large spike after the last week of nationwide protest...I'm worried what's going to happen though

Well, that didn’t take long, front page of everyone’s favorite site, the train of suck is coming:

Going to my daughters 3rd weekend tournament, my boy is playing baseball. Everywhere we have been, people understand what this is, and are tired of being scared of it. Time to move on and do the best you can. Most people are ready to live with it because there is no guarantee we get a vaccine right away. It could be 3 years, who knows. Everyone willing to sit around for 3 years. If they are, don’t sign the waiver.

This next month will decide everything in my opinion. If we don't show a large spike after the last week of nationwide protest...I'm worried what's going to happen though

the protests could very well make or break everything, it depends on if people decide tI get tested and whether you support or not, younger people, especially college aged students got involved.

The real question is how the media reacts to these college football teams having players testing positive this week, which is somewhat like a litmus test to the much larger return on campus for all students this fall.

In addition, these next two weeks are extremely detrimental to what this fall will look like as schools are producing their final plans for this fall, as an educator and coach, I can 100% confirm this with fact.

Lastly, it will be fascinating to see how both sides, liberal and conservative spin the latest results. I have to be honest, the fact conservative news outlets are jumping on “protests causing outbreaks” is very fascinating to me. I don’t see any possible way we shutdown again, especially with the economy looking better, at least for what we are calling the “first wave”, however with the election coming up, as cliche as this all sounds, we are pawns in the big picture, and it will be to our government to decide who gets screwed over for voting reasons. Just my two thoughts.

Ja
Going to my daughters 3rd weekend tournament, my boy is playing baseball. Everywhere we have been, people understand what this is, and are tired of being scared of it. Time to move on and do the best you can. Most people are ready to live with it because there is no guarantee we get a vaccine right away. It could be 3 years, who knows. Everyone willing to sit around for 3 years. If they are, don’t sign the waiver.

Jake I agree with you, but those sports aren’t mandated by our government through public schools, it’s a whole different ballgame.

My worry is that it seems like we're coming up with best practices to keep players/coaches as safe as possible but not really addressing when a team has someone test positive. What will be the policy then? Who's responsible for making sure things are followed? Do we expect kids to self report? Good Luck! We've all seen kids try to convince everyone they didn't have a concussion.

I see a football season being played. I think logistically it’s easier to pull off a season at the high school level based on locality of the schools. I think we’ve shifted more to the “we just have to live with the threat of Coronavirus” especially since the trends continue to look better.

I see a football season being played. I think logistically it’s easier to pull off a season at the high school level based on locality of the schools. I think we’ve shifted more to the “we just have to live with the threat of Coronavirus” especially since the trends continue to look better.

The trends are looking...about the same, in two weeks will be the real test. Unfortunately it appears that the ODE seems to have a different outlook on this Fall than our own governor at least for high school. I agree, I think this Fall is a total coinflip. If the NCAA story becomes a hot topic this week, and I think it will, I think the safety for college students, student-athletes will become a very serious issue. You will have the same people claiming "what's more important, safety, or our economy and the NCAA making money?". I think that debate will inevitably come up and again as mentioned earlier, no way the states play HS football if college can't figure it out. It's going to be a pretty big mess ahead one way or the other.

270SC, I think the conservative sites going to "protests causing outbreaks" is because of the dissonance/hypocrisy in how things have been covered by the media and treated by government (protests about government overreach in May were universally covid-shamed, going to restaurants the same).

jonmoxon, I would agree with you on locality playing a role. I also think there's the we're just going to have to absorb the risk/threat of it going on as (1) more information has come out about the virus since mid-March (2) medical facilities/infrastructure have not been overwhelmed (3) it's unknown when a scalable vaccine will come out and/or if it's going to be like a flu shot or the polio vaccine in terms of effectiveness.

Just stay in your Mom’s basement and keep yourself safe.

In Ohio, 70% of our deaths come from nursing homes. Another 10% come from prisons. We are deciding everyone else’s fate based on a few hundred deaths In Ohio. While absolutely tragic, I say those that are scared stay home. The rest of us want to live life. You have a choice to go out or not. Since when did we lose the right to make our own decisions. If we don’t have extra curricular’s for our kids next year and they are stuck at home, the child suicide rate will sky rocket.

runaways have already increased and reporting to children’s services have decreased. Because we haven’t been in schools for teachers and coaches to notice and report abuse. What is worse?

Just stay in your Mom’s basement and keep yourself safe.

Look, this isn’t myself concerned about safety what so ever. Wake up, it’s the same media influence that shut us down. Let’s also be very clear here, a concern with Covid is minorities, you think the government wants to take chances again with the current climate? Keep dreaming.

Look, this isn’t myself concerned about safety what so ever. Wake up, it’s the same media influence that shut us down. Let’s also be very clear here, a concern with Covid is minorities, you think the government wants to take chances again with the current climate? Keep dreaming.
It's not the government's chance to take. It's up to the kids and their parents. If people are at risk or are too concerned about their kid catching a mild virus then they can choose not to play.

In Ohio, 70% of our deaths come from nursing homes. Another 10% come from prisons. We are deciding everyone else’s fate based on a few hundred deaths In Ohio. While absolutely tragic, I say those that are scared stay home. The rest of us want to live life. You have a choice to go out or not. Since when did we lose the right to make our own decisions. If we don’t have extra curricular’s for our kids next year and they are stuck at home, the child suicide rate will sky rocket.

runaways have already increased and reporting to children’s services have decreased. Because we haven’t been in schools for teachers and coaches to notice and report abuse. What is worse?

Agree with the numbers but to say suicide rate would go higher is beyond absurd.

Your math leaves the 20% that everything and everyone is concerned about. I for one felt that we were good to go a week ago, but based off some of the plans I have heard districts seem to favor and how much high profile collegiate programs seem to be starting to find difficulties and having to quarantine...I think we should very well start having concern about policies that could be made this Fall, that I don’t believe need to happen but people in our school systems, as well as difficult parents will. Let’s hope in a few weeks we don’t look back and see spikes in hospitalizations in reference to protests, but to think that won’t happen...the math isn’t there, its going to cause a hiccup.

It's not the government's chance to take. It's up to the kids and their parents. If people are at risk or are too concerned about their kid catching a mild virus then they can choose not to play.

Interesting take, who’s chance was it to take in March and April?

Interesting take, who’s chance was it to take in March and April?
It should have been up to the individuals. I will give the government a pass for the first month or so. We didn't know much. But as we learned more we should have changed our strategy sooner.

It should have been up to the individuals. I will give the government a pass for the first month or so. We didn't know much. But as we learned more we should have changed our strategy sooner.

We’re giving government free passes and “should have been”‘s.

Stick to Facebook with Karen, pal.

We’re giving government free passes and “should have been”‘s.

Stick to Facebook with Karen, pal.
Not on Facebook and I am hardly "Karen". Hindsight is 20/20 but looks like we overreacted quite a bit. We know who is vulnerable and who isn't. Protect them and let's move on. The kids will be fine. If you don't feel that way, stay home and keep your kids home if you have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.