Division VII State Championship: Marion Local (12-2) vs. Lucas (13-1)

Who wins?

• Marion Local by 15+

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Marion Local by 8-14

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Lucas by 1-7

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Lucas by 8-14

• Lucas by 15+

• Total voters
There was an article a few years ago where the Dayton Daily News interviewed Minster, Coldwater and Marion Local's coaches about the success of the MAC. Their three reasons for such success were no transfers, no soccer and no peewee football.

football is tough enough....travel baseball has burnt out enough kids to play the baseball......don't need to burn out kids with pee wee football.... Minster had 4 boys play PEE WEE in Celina as 5th and 6th graders.... 3 never played football in HS 1 played all 4 years and had a very good 4 years of FB at Minster

football is tough enough....travel baseball has burnt out enough kids to play the baseball......don't need to burn out kids with pee wee football.... Minster had 4 boys play PEE WEE in Celina as 5th and 6th graders.... 3 never played football in HS 1 played all 4 years and had a very good 4 years of FB at Minster
Was the one that played 4 years a skill player? I ask this because we have found kids who get to play skill positions in Pee Wee, then later get relegated to a lineman, feel they are not "participating " in the game at a satisfactory level as they did when they were young.

Here we are in the DVII State Championship with what's become our typical match up of Marion Local vs. another school. I would say this year has been a much different trip though for Marion Local than in season's past. Many expected this to be a rebuilding year. The Flyers are young, not necessarily filled with a ton of explosive players on offense. Even with that being said, they're coached by one of the great small school coaches in the state. He's helped this team round itself into what we've grown to expect, a state championship caliber team. The Flyers are the only team to beat DVI Finalist Anna, they have a win over rival Coldwater as well. I'm not sure what else there is to say. Back in August the Flyers might not have been expected to be here, but in December, not many will expect anything less than a state championship. I'll go with:

Marion Local 35
Lucas 7

As far as pee-wee football goes, to each their own. Whatever you guys are or aren't doing, its working.

For Lucas, I couldn't imagine what it would be like to not have it. IMO, it has been instrumental in what we have built at Lucas. All the kids who have been involved in our string of playoff appearances played pee-wee. When we didn't have it, we were not as strong as a program. It is definitely working for us.

Hell, we even have an alumni football team.

Last edited:
Was the one that played 4 years a skill player? I ask this because we have found kids who get to play skill positions in Pee Wee, then later get relegated to a lineman, feel they are not "participating " in the game at a satisfactory level as they did when they were young.
nope was a lineman....

After seeing today's Anna final, I would be surprised if Marion gives up more than 7 points tomorrow.

After seeing today's Anna final, I would be surprised if Marion gives up more than 7 points tomorrow.
ML 42
Lucas 7

Unless you have seen it, battled it, coached against it.....no one really knows what it is like to be a great football team and run into a MAC opponent in the playoffs. Great teams year in and year out get bounced by the MAC and never get past 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounds in Northwest and West Ohio. I see teams fall prey to it every year! ML wins this running away. They beat and held one of the MAC's all time greatest offenses and this year's D6 champs to 14. If they come with that same swagger tomorrow, it'll be over as quick or quicker than the Anna game today.

Simply for the sake of discussion, I think it should be noted that Anna's highly impressive performance in the final doesn't mean that ML will be as dominant in their game.

Simply for the sake of discussion, I think it should be noted that Anna's highly impressive performance in the final doesn't mean that ML will be as dominant in their game.
Maybe not. Anna has won in grand fashion all year. But ML was the only team to hold down maybe the most impressive offense of all time in the most impressive small school conference in the state of Ohio. And the game was played AT Anna. It says alot about what ML can do if they put together 4 quarters of excellent football.

Maybe not. Anna has won in grand fashion all year. But ML was the only team to hold down maybe the most impressive offense of all time in the most impressive small school conference in the state of Ohio. And the game was played AT Anna. It says alot about what ML can do if they put together 4 quarters of excellent football.
The weather and field conditions definitely helped Marion Local slow down Anna's offensive attack. On a dry field I would pick Anna to win 8 out of 10 times.

So, I said after the overtime win against Loramie, ML by 40 in the rest of the playoffs. Nobody believed me, but it’s been close enough so far. I expect nothing less than what’s been shown.

ML 42
Lucas 7 (or 0)

Since there’s comparisons between the D6 and D7 games, I guess I could provide insight as my school (McDonald) played Springfield week 10 and Lucas week 11. Springfield won 38-21 in week 10 and Lucas won 21-20 in OT week 11. Springfield overall was better in my opinion, and definitely more dynamic on offense. Of course their philosophies on Offense were completely different. Lucas I thought had a slightly better defense.

In the end none of that really means anything, this will be settled tomorrow morning. I’ll be pulling for the Lucas and hope the cubs can pull the upset.

Ok - maybe I didn’t explain myself well. Against Anna, I think ML played closer to their potential than the Rockets did. I do not mean to minimize Marion’s most impressive win of the season, but I just don’t think Anna was at their best that night. As a Marion fan, I would not have wanted to face Anna in the playoffs - they have been in beast mode since the loss to the Flyers.

Since there’s comparisons between the D6 and D7 games, I guess I could provide insight as my school (McDonald) played Springfield week 10 and Lucas week 11. Springfield won 38-21 in week 10 and Lucas won 21-20 in OT week 11. Springfield overall was better in my opinion, and definitely more dynamic on offense. Of course their philosophies on Offense were completely different. Lucas I thought had a slightly better defense.

In the end none of that really means anything, this will be settled tomorrow morning. I’ll be pulling for the Lucas and hope the cubs can pull the upset.
Did you miss the extra point in overtime or go for 2 when you lost to Lucas

The weather and field conditions definitely helped Marion Local slow down Anna's offensive attack. On a dry field I would pick Anna to win 8 out of 10 times.
Very debatable statement considering Anna has rolled up the score against every opponent besides ML. I would argue that this was the biggest signature win in the MAC all year and no fluke because it was on the road. No matter the weather, Anna was the home team and was held to nearly 30 points less than their season average.

So Anna beat Springfield by 34 and ML beat Anna by 3. By this logic, that’s a 37 pt spread. Lucas

Cant say I won’t give a half grin and a clap to Lucas if they pull the upset. I’m not a MAC guy. But I respect the hell out of them. Can say that I’ve followed football closely for years and have never seen a ML team win as many games against ranked teams as this year. A faceless, nameless team has rolled the best.
If we are using the D6/common opponent comparison then it looks like Lucas plus 18. Marion Local plus 37. With your comparison. Meaning a 19 point Marion local spread. Time will tell.