Division VII State Championship: Marion Local (12-2) vs. Lucas (13-1)

Who wins?

• Marion Local by 15+

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Marion Local by 8-14

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Lucas by 1-7

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Lucas by 8-14

• Lucas by 15+

• Total voters
It would make sense not to throw if you beat everyone by 30 plus running like Kirtland. But Lucas has been in half a dozen close games, losing two of them. So I am wondering, can you pass when you are forced into passing situations, or do you complete passes when the other team has the box loaded for the run? Because in all of the close games/loses your offense was held to 14 to 21 points, so the opponent was stopping the run.
We passed the ball on 4th and goal from the 13 last week. They knew we were passing, and we still got it done against the fastest defensive team I have possibly ever seen in D7. In our two losses, turnovers did us in. We still moved the ball. We outgained LCC and had our chance to win with under a minute left. When we need to, we can and will throw. Sure, we have ran for 40+ TDs, but we have over a dozen throwing as well. Our coach is similar to the Kirtland HC. Ground and pound with enough passing to keep teams honest.

It would make sense not to throw if you beat everyone by 30 plus running like Kirtland. But Lucas has been in half a dozen close games, losing two of them. So I am wondering, can you pass when you are forced into passing situations, or do you complete passes when the other team has the box loaded for the run? Because in all of the close games/loses your offense was held to 14 to 21 points, so the opponent was stopping the run.

Or penalties and fumbles stopped the offense, not necessarily the defense. Is Lucas a great throwing team? No. IT's not what they do. Can they throw it? Yes. Big Qb and some athletes who can catch. QB struggles at times with accuracy, like he did vs. McDonald but that is a product of not being asked to do it as much.

What impresses me the most when looking at Lucas's games on the season is that the most pts. any team has scored on them this year is 21 including LCC ( high scoring team ) who only scored 14. On the other hand Lucas only scored 7 pts. on an LCC team that gave up quite a few pts. on the year. So for Lucas to win Saturday it probably has to be a low scoring game. Also Lucas has 12 jrs. and srs. combined on their roster ML has 28, I don't if this will have much bearing on the game or not as Hardin Northern 15 or 16 years ago won State with a similar roster make up.

We passed the ball on 4th and goal from the 13 last week. They knew we were passing, and we still got it done against the fastest defensive team I have possibly ever seen in D7. In our two losses, turnovers did us in. We still moved the ball. We outgained LCC and had our chance to win with under a minute left. When we need to, we can and will throw. Sure, we have ran for 40+ TDs, but we have over a dozen throwing as well. Our coach is similar to the Kirtland HC. Ground and pound with enough passing to keep teams honest.
I concur.

This leads to the most obvious burning question people will have around Saturday at noon or so....

When was the last time the MAC has been shut out of a Championship in football for two straight years?

These scores make me believe Lucas can keep it close and possibly win.

Watterson 31, Marion Local 7
Watterson 17, St. Charles 3
Lucas 20, St. Charles 8

Now, tell me how wrong I am...

I may be way off here, but as long as ML is still suiting up high school kids the same ages as the Lucas kids are, Lucas has a shot.

ML is an insanely successful HS football program. I respect the hell out of what they have accomplished. But to say Lucas is gonna be run over in the first quarter is just ridiculous. Lucas has bottled up some great teams this year. Teams that have played ML tight in years past (Cuyahoga Heights and LCC). Lucas is a damn good, super physical football team. The MAC is legendary, no doubt. However, the statements about the super human physicality coming from their conference are a little much. I am sure they do play hard nosed physical football. I have little doubt of this. In saying that, there are other schools who do too. Lucas in one of them.

This Lucas team has a chance to win. Count on that.
I totally agree with you LUCAS HAS GREAT RESPECT FOR THIS LEGENDARY TEAM THEY ARE A TRUE POWER HOUSE

Lucas 20, St. Charles 8

I may be way off here, but as long as ML is still suiting up high school kids the same ages as the Lucas kids are, Lucas has a shot.

ML is an insanely successful HS football program. I respect the hell out of what they have accomplished. But to say Lucas is gonna be run over in the first quarter is just ridiculous. Lucas has bottled up some great teams this year. Teams that have played ML tight in years past (Cuyahoga Heights and LCC). Lucas is a damn good, super physical football team. The MAC is legendary, no doubt. However, the statements about the super human physicality coming from their conference are a little much. I am sure they do play hard nosed physical football. I have little doubt of this. In saying that, there are other schools who do too. Lucas in one of them.

I concur.

This leads to the most obvious burning question people will have around Saturday at noon or so....

When was the last time the MAC has been shut out of a Championship in football for two straight years?

1988, Was there a time an MAC team didn't score in a State Game.

I totally agree with you LUCAS HAS GREAT RESPECT FOR THIS LEGENDARY TEAM THEY ARE A TRUE POWER HOUSE
With that being said ML goes DOWN SATURDAY 21-14 and LUCAS WILL WIN THERE FIRST STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!! CUBS DEFENSE IS THE REAL DEAL!!!! THIS TEA

Lucas 20, St. Charles 8

The MAC is 33 - 12 all time in State Final Games.
Marion is 10 -3 in State Final Games
Marion has not been scored on in the D7 finals - combined score of the 2 - D7 finals Marion played in (74 to 0)

None of these stats mean anything for Saturdays game, just an observation from when I looked to see the last time the MAC didn't manage to win at least one title, 2 years in a row.

The most amazing thing is this is not one of Marion Locals better teams yet they are still here and people still are talking about how good they are compared to the rest of the state. That speaks in and of itself right there.
ML has made the state championship game 9 years in a row and they beat Anna who is currently playing in the state championship. Anyone still downplaying this team (yeah yeah yeah....they don't have Bruns or a ND lineman this year) is just doing so because they didn't know what ML had to reload with or didn't believe in them. This team is REALLY good. I watched many of the D7 teams this year. Patrick Henry was a beast. Fort Loramie returned some of the best skill position players in D7. And in D6, Anna has one of the best offensive players in the state and hasn't been tested in the playoffs yet. I think when all set and done, this will go down as a team with some of the most impressive wins in a single season that ML has had.

ML has made the state championship game 9 years in a row and they beat Anna who is currently playing in the state championship. Anyone still downplaying this team (yeah yeah yeah....they don't have Bruns or a ND lineman this year) is just doing so because they didn't know what ML had to reload with or didn't believe in them. This team is REALLY good. I watched many of the D7 teams this year. Patrick Henry was a beast. Fort Loramie returned some of the best skill position players in D7. And in D6, Anna has one of the best offensive players in the state and hasn't been tested in the playoffs yet. I think when all set and done, this will go down as a team with some of the most impressive wins in a single season that ML has had.
Marion has a great team this year, Offensively, not nearly as efficient as they have been in recent years, due to basically 9 to 10 new starters. As the year has moved on they have gotten much better. I think the sloppy play at times on that side of the ball had some Marion fans downplay this team.
I don't think this team makes the top 10 for impressive single seasons.

Marion has a great team this year, Offensively, not nearly as efficient as they have been in recent years, due to basically 9 to 10 new starters. As the year has moved on they have gotten much better. I think the sloppy play at times on that side of the ball had some Marion fans downplay this team.
I don't think this team makes the top 10 for impressive single seasons.
If I'm correct, the only times that ML was a D7 state champ and beat the D6 state champ was in 2013 and 2014. I would argue that this year's D6 Anna is a better team than the D6 Coldwater teams in 2013 and 2014. In fact, outside of Anna's loss to ML, there hasn't been a more dominant MAC team than Anna in years. I can't recall a MAC school that put 40 plus on every opponent (outside of ML and a mere 36 against Mechanicsburg) in this many games in one season. Thus, it has been a most impressive year. The only thing left to do is for both teams to finish.

What has been undersold is the fact that ML dropped from D6 to D7, thus had a loss in numbers, and were still able to create a state championship team with wins against at least 7 state ranked top 10 teams in multiple divisions throughout the year. I'm no expert on the ML squad, but on paper, I would challenge that it would be hard to find more than 3-4 years with more impressive wins.

If I'm correct, the only times that ML was a D7 state champ and beat the D6 state champ was in 2013 and 2014. I would argue that this year's D6 Anna is a better team than the D6 Coldwater teams in 2013 and 2014. In fact, outside of Anna's loss to ML, there hasn't been a more dominant MAC team than Anna in years. I can't recall a MAC school that put 40 plus on every opponent (outside of ML and a mere 36 against Mechanicsburg) in this many games in one season. Thus, it has been a most impressive year. The only thing left to do is for both teams to finish.

What has been undersold is the fact that ML dropped from D6 to D7, thus had a loss in numbers, and were still able to create a state championship team with wins against at least 7 state ranked top 10 teams in multiple divisions throughout the year. I'm no expert on the ML squad, but on paper, I would challenge that it would be hard to find more than 3-4 years with more impressive wins.
I am not trying to diminish this Marion team, but by the eye test, they are not top ten for me. They have another game to win, to join the 10 other state championship teams

I am not trying to diminish this Marion team, but by the eye test, they are not top ten for me. They have another game to win, to join the 10 other state championship teams
I understand. I just think perception and reality of this team are two different things for way too many people. I would be hard pressed to find more quality wins on a D7 level in one season by any D7 ML team. And really it would be hard to find as many quality wins on some of the D6 ML teams. Its either that, or the MAC was a shell of itself this year. And I personally don't believe the latter.

You are, however, correct. There's still one more for them to win in order to put that championship trophy on the mantle. One more against what appears to be a very good Lucas defense.

Thank you. Even if many people believe they are going to win, it is NOT a foregone conclusion. It's just not. This Lucas team is gonna battle the hell out of ML.

You know what they call the medical student who graduated last in his class? A Dr.

IF this Flyer team can do the unthinkable and pull off the upset and beat this seemingly unmovable force they call Lucas those players aren't going to care where they rank in the grand scheme of all time MSML greats!

You know what they call the medical student who graduated last in his class? A Dr.

IF this Flyer team can do the unthinkable and pull off the upset and beat this seemingly unmovable force they call Lucas those players aren't going to care where they rank in the grand scheme of all time MSML greats!
I should not have ranked them, that’s bs on my part

I should not have ranked them, that’s bs on my part
Haha. But its a fair assessment on your part. So many people want to talk about this so called "down year" that ML is having and they are doing the unthinkable by going to a state championship game with "so little".

My simple point has been the same all year. How many ML teams have defeated this many state ranked teams (same division and divisions above)? I could be off but would guess very few.

By the way. Would this be state championship 10 or 11 if they won?

It would be number 11 tying them for the most all-time with Cleveland St. Ignatious. But, first they have to win.
This is also Marion Local's 14th State Championship game appearance in the last 20 years (since 2000).
That is quite an impressive run over the last 2 decades.

Haha. But its a fair assessment on your part. So many people want to talk about this so called "down year" that ML is having and they are doing the unthinkable by going to a state championship game with "so little".

My simple point has been the same all year. How many ML teams have defeated this many state ranked teams (same division and divisions above)? I could be off but would guess very few.

By the way. Would this be state championship 10 or 11 if they won?
When Goodwin’s tenure is over, it will be fun to reminisce and rank the teams over a few beverages

"Unmovable force they call Lucas"

We were all having such a good discussion about the game then that has to be said...

I think everyone understands you guys are the favorite. Why not try being the favorite with some class? Belittling Lucas, a team that has played their hearts out to get to the state championship game, is pretty freaking lowbrow. I thought you guys had some humbleness when it comes to all your success. In your case, I guess not.

I'm glad your not around the ML players with that stupid . Coach Goodwin wouldn't want any part of your buffoonery.

Last edited:

We were all having such a good discussion about the game then that has to be said...

I think everyone understands you guys are the favorite. Why not try being the favorite with some class. Belittling Lucas, a team that has played their hearts to get to the state championship game, is pretty freaking lowbrow. I thought you guys had some humbleness when it comes to all your success. In your case, I guess not.

I'm glad your not around the ML players with that stupid . They wouldn't want any part of your idiocy.

I think everyone understands you guys are the favorite. Why not try being the favorite with some class. Belittling Lucas, a team that has played their hearts to get to the state championship game, is pretty freaking lowbrow. I thought you guys had some humbleness when it comes to all your success. In your case, I guess not.

I'm glad your not around the ML players with that stupid . Coach Goodwin wouldn't want any part of your buffoonery.

Avoice isn’t an ML fan. Heck, he can’t even be around Maria Stein since the restraining order kicked in.

For the sake of conversation:

Drew Pasteur has Marion Local by 15 and CalPreps says:

neutral field
[2019] Marion Local (Maria Stein, OH) 28, [2019] Lucas (OH) 8

With that being said ML goes DOWN SATURDAY 21-14 and LUCAS WILL WIN THERE FIRST STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!! CUBS DEFENSE IS THE REAL DEAL!!!! THIS TEA
The defense is the real deal, but are they the Trimble Mohawk Mafia real deal? ? I remember how hyped that group was in 2013. Granted, this Marion team doesnt have the same weapons as then. This should be a fun game, I hope it's like the loramie game in reference to the suspense.

Last edited:

don't get all hot and bothered..the VOICE does this all year long........ you want to have some fun with him........tell him that the BOYS from Lucas have put in EXTRA WORK this past summer .....:)

Could care less what kind of offense Lucas runs, it is all about execution and defensively can Lucas defend the pass. Reason MAC schools succeed in the play offs is because so many teams they play in the play offs have no comprehension on how to defend a passing offense or how to throw the football effectively when their behind. This game comes down to basically can Lucas run the football and win the time of possession and defensively limiting Huelsman and Otte's big play capability.

So I am a huge Marion Local fan from across the state and have so much admiration for what they have been able to do. It's amazing. I am definitely rooting for the Flyers. To me they are everything a high school football program should be. Homegrown kids, community support, good in other sports, good in the classroom, etc. They literally have everything.

Having said that, I have also become very enamored with Lucas because of the double wing. In 2017 Lucas opened the season by defeating East Canton. My high school played East Canton later that year and the Lucas film led to us installing the double wing in 2018. For us, the double wing was a great equalizer. My school hasn't had a winning season since 2007 but running the double wing led us to a 5-5 record. We also completely dominated two of the games we lost (outgained opponents 658-377 in those games) because of multiple turnovers in the red zone. In all, 4 of our 5 losses came to playoff teams and we had a chance to win two of those games in the fourth quarter. We had more talent in maybe 2 of our 10 games.

In your post you mention that game comes down to can Lucas run the football and win the time of possession. Well, in my experience watching the double wing that is exactly what this offense does. In that Lucas video (which was awesome BTW) there is a line where the narrator says, "they just take anywhere from 3-8 yards a pop They just take your soul." Man, did that line ring true to me because I watched so many 14-15 play drives last year. I was often on the opposing sidelines because I take pictures at our games and I would watch the opposing coaches yelling at each other in frustration because they couldn't figure out how to stop the offense. There was no way to get penetration because there were no gaps. Our lineman lined up foot to foot and just created a wall of humanity. Unless you could just physically dominate our line we were getting a minimum of 3 yards a play and we would run the same play over and over and over again.

So what I am really enamored to see is how much of an equalizer is this at the highest level. Can Lucas hang with what we all agree is the most dominant football program in Ohio? Can Lucas put together 12-15 play drives and limit this game to 5-6 possessions for each team in the entire game? What is going to be the defensive game plan from Marion Local? How do they attack the double wing and if they can't completely dominate the Lucas' line physically do they have a scheme that stops this offense? Will the Marion Local offense have any rhythm if they go 7-8 minutes at a time without touching the ball?

I'm just really curious to see how this game plays out especially if Lucas isn't physically overwhelmed.