Division V State Championship: Ironton (15-0) vs. South Range (15-0)

Who wins?

• Ironton by 17+

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Ironton by 8-16

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Ironton by 1-7

Votes: 27 16.5%
  • South Range by 1-7

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • South Range by 8-16

Votes: 52 31.7%
  • South Range by 17+

Votes: 27 16.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In just 48 hours all the speculation and prognostication will be over!
I don't even try because I have been wrong (in my head) for just about every playoff game this year.
I'm right there with you Targeting. I already have butterfly's in my stomach. I'm just going to try to enjoy the moment and root for the Raiders. In reality, none of us know exactly what will happen. Let's just hope for an exciting, well-played game with no injuries or controversial calls.

As an IronTon alum.
Only “WE” understand their voices & when they are talking about the town & tank, what it truly means.
YEP- Most ALL teams have a stadium & their town comes.

BUT-The TANK is the start of Pro-FootBall & 6k come willingly, at most all times

I wish both Teams the Best.

GLAD TO BE AN UNDERDOG!!!

We will show up!!!

#GoTGo
#BeTheStorm

Last edited:
I'm not sure how the 2019 title game was a "bloodbath". It was a 17-7 game.
And I'd bet that the upset loss to wheelersburg is more like motivation for the Tigers, as opposed to a momentum killer.
The last second goal line at .01 b4 HT qb snas it was even Reviewed & Could’ve went either way, made it more than a typical game.
Not a blood bath, but it definitely affected it!
Fox Tv GIF by Family Guy
YES HE IS DUAL THREAT.
Have you looked at the IHS qb stats?
Dual to the ditto

Sounds like Cosch P & the FighTing Tigers.

They’ve been able to keep the full spectrum of cards close.
There will definitely be plays by both teams that nobody has seen yet. Last weeks stats shows how balanced the Fighting Tigers really are: 248 passing and 253 rushing.

To be fair SR has the same on their side of the ball. 3 wr that are tough to defend and a stable of rb’s that can break one at any time. Plus the qb is a dual threat. This is going to be a great game no doubt. Both teams are loaded.
I saw this in Struthers or Canton Central Catholic gameIve watched 5 straight complete games now) so I am 90% sure it was this one, where the oposing D was getting to Skirpic (qb) & stuffing the run
& they were able to trade offensive punches untilm late 2Q or few series after HT. Both SR & IHS have similar depth to go to if any 2-3 are focused on. I think this game will be closer than expected. If Carpenter #10QB gets any time, he will produce & really blew out the VV D in semi final.
Pasteur had Ironton at 9 to win state they’ve beaten #2 Harvest Prep and #3 Valley View, no reason I can’t see them beating his pick South Range to win it all
I also noted this the Thursday B4 The HarVest Prep Blowout. I kinda ended up there through a Joe Eitel supplied link.
I was taken aback he had HP as #2 in state DV to win it all behind SR. So, i naturally thought, IHS is going to have another battle with Harvest Prep as in 2019.

Instead, the IHS DeFense stuffed all HP tried, FAST.

Then-

IHS came out of the shotgun used so dominantly all year, quickly mixed it up with under center pro set3-4 replacements after each play & HP was done fairly fast as they were winded from the quick change ups & fresh set of 4 players rushing in to mix it up on them. They were expecting carrico mirror from 2019 of run, run, run.
& there was a teeny bit until not needed.
I was there too. I was shaking my head at the call because they just got stuffed on 3rd down. Immediately I thought of the 93 Steubenville CC vs Liberty Center D5 title game where SCC did the same thing on their own 19-yard line with about 45 seconds left in the game. They also turned the ball over on downs and LC scored with about 10 seconds left . The difference was that SCC had a 7-point lead and won in OT. Ironton also had a heart-breaking loss in 93.

After that 99 game I remember coach Lutz saying something along the lines of "The kids played their hearts out. They didn't lose the game, their dumb coach did."
i was there. I flew into Akron For thst gsme from OrLando. It was a call many MANY scratch their heads on. Many were not happy , BUT
if you lay it out on paper, what Coach Lutz Had in his mind…

IHS punted 4-5 ‘s & all were nearly blocked. One was, That led to a Sandusky Perkins score. IHS had gotten 3-4 yards a rush most all game & it was right in front of me. It was less than the nose of the football for first down &/or punt from near the 10 yard line.

The final placement of the ball by the ref marking it “back” a step & equalling a 1inch rush was a gut buster.

I back the coach now, knowing what i do.

i still enjoyed the “sick week” off work & the ride back to Ironton with my Aunt & fkew back out of Huntington, WV the next thursday.

Heartbreakingly a good time!!!

Last edited:
The Struthers game is easily the worst game SR played (IMO). It was the only game where really lost the LoS on offense and then didn't have an answer passing. And they were -6 in turnovers. If they play like that tomorrow they will get beat badly.

The last 3 games they've played were at a really high level. Honestly, since Garfield opened the game with a 57-play FG drive (heh), they've been absolutely lights out. So, the last almost 4 games.

I saw this in Struthers or Canton Central Catholic gameIve watched 5 straight complete games now) so I am 90% sure it was this one, where the oposing D was getting to Skirpic (qb) & stuffing the run
& they were able to trade offensive punches untilm late 2Q or few series after HT. Both SR & IHS have similar depth to go to if any 2-3 are focused on. I think this game will be closer than expected. If Carpenter #10QB gets any time, he will produce & really blew out the VV D in semi final.

I also noted this the Thursday B4 The HarVest Prep Blowout. I kinda ended up there through a Joe Eitel supplied link.
I was taken aback he had HP as #2 in state DV to win it all behind SR. So, i naturally thought, IHS is going to have another battle with Harvest Prep as in 2019.

Instead, the IHS DeFense stuffed all HP tried, FAST.

Then-

IHS came out of the shotgun used so dominantly all year, quickly mixed it up with under center pro set3-4 replacements after each play & HP was done fairly fast as they were winded from the quick change ups & fresh set of 4 players rushing in to mix it up on them. They were expecting carrico mirror from 2019 of run, run, run.
& there was a teeny bit until not needed.

i was there. I flew into Akron For thst gsme from OrLando. It was a call many MANY scratch their heads on. Many were not happy , BUT
if you lay it out on paper, what Coach Lutz Had in his mind…

IHS punted 4-5 ‘s & all were nearly blocked. One was, That led to a Sandusky Perkins score. IHS had gotten 3-4 yards a rush most all game & it was right in front of me. It was less than the nose of the football for first down &/or punt from near the 10 yard line.

The final placement of the ball by the ref marking it “back” a step & equalling a 1inch rush was a gut buster.

I back the coach now, knowing what i do.

i still enjoyed the “sick week” off work & the ride back to Ironton with my Aunt & fkew back out of Huntington, WV the next thursday.

Heartbreakingly a good time!!!

When Ironton got the ball back on that last possession, I thought sure they would be able to move the chains and run the clock out. I was pulling for them because they had beaten my time in the semifinals. That and they had won a title in 79 & 89 it just seemed appropriate that they should win in 99.

It is true that Ironton had some trouble with the punt team and I'm sure that coach Lutz felt going for it was the safest play. However, after I saw Mr. Henry get stuffed on third and one, I thought he would punt. I would have but I'm not a HOF coach. :)

Leaving early tomorrow morning to see this one. Good luck to both teams.

GO RAIDERS!

3 teams 30 miles 3 state title games
Ohio: Ironton vs South Range
Kentucky: Raceland vs Pikeville
West Virginia: Huntington vs Parkersburg South

As a member of the very first Raider football team (fall 1969) Naturally pulling for the burgandy and gold, but also hoping both teams play their very best. No regrets...

3 teams 30 miles 3 state title games
Ohio: Ironton vs South Range
Kentucky: Raceland vs Pikeville
West Virginia: Huntington vs Parkersburg South
The wild one out of the bunch is Huntington, they lose one of their better players to Ironton and some how made it out ahead of Martinsburg who’s the perennial power of WV

Not complaining...
But, I bet that's true of a lot of folks - unable to attend because of the gametime/gameday. That's definitely true of me.
Yeah, this slot is the worst one of the weekend. For local folks (like me) we can work half day then head to the Friday afternoon/evening games, but to hit this one, you have to take a full day off.

That said, once I knew where this one was slotted I started breathing heavy and coughing a lot. . . ; )