• Canfield (Canfield)

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Chaney (Youngstown)

Votes: 36 40.0%
  • Chardon (Chardon)

Votes: 76 84.4%
  • Collinwood (Cleveland)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy (Cuyahoga Falls)

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Dover (Dover)

Votes: 64 71.1%
  • East (Akron)

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • East Technical (Cleveland)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geneva (Geneva)

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Gilmour Academy (Gates Mills)

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Harvey (Painesville)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Hawken (Gates Mills)

• Howland (Warren)

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • John F Kennedy (Cleveland)

• Kenston (Chagrin Falls)

Votes: 52 57.8%
  • Kent Roosevelt (Kent)

• Louisville (Louisville)

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Madison (Madison)

• Marlington (Alliance)

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • New Philadelphia (New Philadelphia)

Votes: 31 34.4%
  • Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin (Chardon)

• Tallmadge (Tallmadge)

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • University School (Hunting Valley)

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Ursuline (Youngstown)

Votes: 75 83.3%
  • Villa Angela-St Joseph (Cleveland)

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • West Geauga (Chesterland)

• Total voters

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Alliance (Alliance)
Aurora (Aurora)
Bedford (Bedford)
Canfield (Canfield)
Chaney (Youngstown)
Chardon (Chardon)
Collinwood (Cleveland)
Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy (Cuyahoga Falls)
Dover (Dover)
East (Akron)
East Technical (Cleveland)
Geneva (Geneva)
Gilmour Academy (Gates Mills)
Harvey (Painesville)
Hawken (Gates Mills)
Howland (Warren)
John F Kennedy (Cleveland)
Kenston (Chagrin Falls)
Kent Roosevelt (Kent)
Louisville (Louisville)
Madison (Madison)
Marlington (Alliance)
New Philadelphia (New Philadelphia)
Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin (Chardon)
Tallmadge (Tallmadge)
University School (Hunting Valley)
Ursuline (Youngstown)
Villa Angela-St Joseph (Cleveland)
West Geauga (Chesterland)

In alphabetical order, my guess for the top 8:
- Aurora
- Canfield
- Chardon
- Dover
- Kenston
- New Phila
- Ursuline
- VASJ

Honorable mentions: Chaney, East, Louisville, Tallmadge

In alphabetical order, my guess for the top 8:
- Aurora
- Canfield
- Chardon
- Dover
- Kenston
- New Phila
- Ursuline
- VASJ

Honorable mentions: Chaney, East, Louisville, Tallmadge
Geneva is probably better then east/chaney/louisville/tallmadge this season as well

I know alot of you are putting Tallmadge up fairly high but it is way too early at this point. They lost a number of 3 and 4 year starters. There is young talent but as yet unproven. Tough to break in a new QB, new RBs, and new WRs. The defense lost a similar amount of talent. There is optimism but 4 year starters at QB are tough to replace without missing a beat.

Geneva is probably better then east/chaney/louisville/tallmadge this season as well
Never thought I'd say this but I have to agree.
I watched that crazy playoff game last season between Geneva and Gilmour Academy in person.
At the game we were talking about how Geneva only had like 5 seniors and most of the guys making plays were soph's and juniors.
They were tough, disciplined and well coached.

Gilmour was better than too than most people on here would think.
They lost a small but very talented senior class but those Kavcic twins are back and all state caliber players again.
Total studs at QB and RB.
I don't know if the new coaching staff can coach the offense like the last year staff did but we will see.
Will they have enough on the line?
Probably not.

Neither of these teams will win the region but will be fun to watch if you like tough kids who make plays.
These teams just dont have the depth.

Top 8 in order:
1. Chardon
2. Canfield
3. Ursuline
4. Aurora
5. Dover
6. Kenston
7. VASJ
8. Tallmadge

any of the top 6 have a chance to win region 9 and advance to probably play region 10 winner and defending D2 champ, TCC

Could be right...top 6 order is just a guess but those are six who have a legit shot to win region. Not surprisingly, all 6 have a solid head coach and coaching staff. Programs that reload year after year.

CVCA, given their schedule, has a great opportunity to be a top 8 team in terms of Harbins. Plenty of skill returns from a playoff team. Whether they are a Top 8 team (non-Harbins) remains to be seen.

I’m admittedly not as high on some teams that had nice records against weaker schedules (University School, CVCA, Gilmour, Geneva, and Alliance). These teams will probably win 8-9 games, but I think they’re clearly behind the likes of Chardon, Ursuline, Canfield, Dover, Aurora, Kenston, etc., and would lose by a handful of TDs if they met up in the post season.

I’m admittedly not as high on some teams that had nice records against weaker schedules (University School, CVCA, Gilmour, Geneva, and Alliance). These teams will probably win 8-9 games, but I think they’re clearly behind the likes of Chardon, Ursuline, Canfield, Dover, Aurora, Kenston, etc., and would lose by a handful of TDs if they met up in the post season.
Canfield just lost a bunch mainly Mr everything, I don’t think they can contend with the Chardon and Ursulines of the world this year until they prove they can

I think they won’t be as prolific on offense, but isn’t most of their defense returning?
Their QB was one of their best players on D too, they do get inglis back who’s solid, there’s holes they need to fill Forsure, but they do have a good coach, weird and he ducked lil OL south range but he’s a good coach

Badin
Toledo Central Catholic
Chardon
Ursuline
Bishop Watterson

Four of those 5 are my pick for the final 4. And I think although Toledo is the favorite, they will have to earn it to win it.

I don't think Watterson will be anywhere near as good as the others mentioned. TCC should be able to win without too much trouble.
They are not in the same region. He has Chardon/Ursuline a tossup in 9, TCC winning 10, Watterson 11, Badin 12

Probably Chardon, TCC, Bloom Carroll, Badin. TCC is the heavy favorite in D3
Agree on TCC but I do think a few teams can make them earn it. I don't know what all everyone has coming back. Thinking TCC and Badin are big favorites in their regions. 9 and 11 I think will be a bit more competitive, at least 2, maybe 3 or 4 teams anyway.

Admittedly, it is a new season, but we are eight months removed from CVCA’s last game:
  • Aurora 27 CVCA 24
The two teams have met two other times in the last five years:
  • Aurora 29 CVCA 28 (2018)
  • Aurora 14 CVCA 7 (2019)
This post in no way is trying to say that CVCA is on par with the other schools in that list. They are a D4 enrollment level private that is playing up due to competitive balance adjustments.

But they’ve held their own in three one score games with the Greenmen in recent years … all of which have been late fourth quarter games.

Admittedly, it is a new season, but we are eight months removed from CVCA’s last game:
  • Aurora 27 CVCA 24
The two teams have met two other times in the last five years:
  • Aurora 29 CVCA 28 (2018)
  • Aurora 14 CVCA 7 (2019)
This post in no way is trying to say that CVCA is on par with the other schools in that list. They are a D4 enrollment level private that is playing up due to competitive balance adjustments.

But they’ve held their own in three one score games with the Greenmen in recent years … all of which have been late fourth quarter games.
That’s some good info. Maybe I unfairly underestimated them.

That’s some good info. Maybe I unfairly underestimated them.
Either that or you over estimated Aurora relative to the others.
Recall Canfield crushed Aurora in the playoffs.
Perhaps CVCA and Aurora are at a similar level a tier below the others you mentioned?

Perhaps CVCA and Aurora are at a similar level a tier below the others you mentioned?
Agreed.
CVCA has 3 playoff wins in its history. 2 were in the COVID year where every team made the playoffs. All the other schools mentioned (Chardon, Canfield, Ursuline, Dover, Kenston, and Aurora) have either won State Championships (Chardon, Canfield, Ursuline, Kenston, and Aurora) or have 20 playoff wins (Dover).

I think this is it, as far as recency bias goes. If CVCA had eeked out the victory against Aurora last fall, the same fate would have awaited against Canfield.

There's no shame hanging with the storied Aurora program. The Greenmen were above average but just missed the playoffs in 2018; they were great in 2019, and CVCA got bounced by Perry both years in the playoffs. They finally got past the Pirates, blowing them out in 2020.

Pretty safe to say both teams were still good teams a year ago, but not nearly as good as when they met the first two times.

They were both a rung or two below the top teams in Region 9 last fall. But still no shame in that.

Agree on TCC but I do think a few teams can make them earn it. I don't know what all everyone has coming back. Thinking TCC and Badin are big favorites in their regions. 9 and 11 I think will be a bit more competitive, at least 2, maybe 3 or 4 teams anyway.
Any idea what Chardon will look like this year compared to the last few years? I know their program and culture and staff are proven. I think they have everybody else in the region beat in those aspects.

Agreed.
CVCA has 3 playoff wins in its history. 2 were in the COVID year where every team made the playoffs. All the other schools mentioned (Chardon, Canfield, Ursuline, Dover, Kenston, and Aurora) have either won State Championships (Chardon, Canfield, Ursuline, Kenston, and Aurora) or have 20 playoff wins (Do
I think this is it, as far as recency bias goes. If CVCA had eeked out the victory against Aurora last fall, the same fate would have awaited against Canfield.

There's no shame hanging with the storied Aurora program. The Greenmen were above average but just missed the playoffs in 2018; they were great in 2019, and CVCA got bounced by Perry both years in the playoffs. They finally got past the Pirates, blowing them out in 2020.

Pretty safe to say both teams were still good teams a year ago, but not nearly as good as when they met the first two times.

They were both a rung or two below the top teams in Region 9 last fall. But still no shame in that.
18 they were 7-3 lost to 2 teams that lost 1st round and the 3rd didn't make the playoffs. They were damn good in 19 but not early in the season, 28-0 over an 0-10 Brush team in week one, CVCA week 2, 14-13 over a 5-5 Padua team in week 4. It looks better at first glance than it actually is. Those Perry teams that bounced them were pretty damn good, saw them against Chardon both years.

Any idea what Chardon will look like this year compared to the last few years? I know their program and culture and staff are proven. I think they have everybody else in the region beat in those aspects.
They will be in the mix. Lost some, but they have been solid every grade level the last few years, they will keep reloading. The big thing is they were young in the trenches last year, not terrible but did get pushed around at times. I don't see that happening this year.