Division III Region 9 Semi Finals: #5 VASJ Vikings (9-3) vs #1 Ursuline Fighting Irish (12-0) @ Marlington

Stadium seems kind of small for a matchup like this. Did the state get a little less strict on their qualifications for hosting?

says here capacity is 2.6k https://ohiostadiums.com/stadium.php?id=1875
The problem is there are not many good options to host between St. Joe's and Ursuline that were not already being used for other games and that were willing to host.
The ideal locations would have been one of Ravenna, Twinsburg, Streetsboro, Hudson, Kent, Stow, or Aurora. But some didn't want to host and some were hosting other games. Niles, Harding, Fitch and Boardman all could have worked as well, if they were available although being closer to Ursuline than St. Joe's. And somehow in all this mess and stupidity Canfield was under serious consideration to host if no one else could be found, (note South Range despite being only a few miles down 46 and having a nicer stadium than Canfield, didn't want to host because they are playing Friday). And surprisingly Canfield is the same amount of drive time as Marlington for St. Joe's, just much closer for Ursuline, almost a home game. Somehow Niles is 5 minutes further for St. Joe's for comparison.

So it seems that VASJ has turned a corner since their meeting with Ursuline. Can anybody speak to what they're doing differently? Has scheme changed on either side of the ball? Limiting of mistakes?

Why not go all the wat to Steubenville, oh my God!
So it seems that VASJ has turned a corner since their meeting with Ursuline. Can anybody speak to what they're doing differently? Has scheme changed on either side of the ball? Limiting of mistakes?
Key players made big plays vs Bombers, defense finally played more soundly, still stupid penalties and delays.

I will say, the defense has been playing a lot better than they have all season. Friday was their best defensive game all season and focused on Kenston’s biggest weapon in Sean Patrick.

The line also has been making big pushes to help both Powell and Jackson to get their yardage. Steuball can throw the ball well but has issues with touch accuracy and is still prone to losing the ball which is something to keep an eye out for. With seeing an opponent twice also helps and know what they’re going to do.

I’m curious to see how they come out Friday night as I know they want another taste of revenge and get to the Regional Finals for the 1st time since 2003.

Why not go all the wat to Steubenville, oh my God!

Key players made big plays vs Bombers, defense finally played more soundly, still stupid penalties and delays.
In my opinion, I think the officiating was sketchy where seeing Kenston doing the same thing and not getting flagged for it. I mean it’s whatever but they didn’t get unnecessary personal foul flags which is an overall improvement

In my opinion, I think the officiating was sketchy where seeing Kenston doing the same thing and not getting flagged for it. I mean it’s whatever but they didn’t get unnecessary personal foul flags which is an overall improvement
I sent you a pm, fyi

If I were Reardon I would load the box and force the qb to throw to beat me. I'm not sold on his ability to consistently hit his receivers. What I am sold on is the VASJ running game, which is very impressive. You just can't let them run it down your throat and give up the big play. Many high school defensive backfields are not great, but the Irish have the athletic ability, I think, to put 7 or 8 in the box.
Ursuline made nice adjustments at half to stymie the Canfield rushing attack. I'd also like to make VASJ put together long drives. Make them play 48 minutes of disciplined football. Should be a good one.

I sent you a pm, fyi
I totally agree. I've never seen 2 15 yard penalties on an extra point for a 32 yard 2 point conversion. I know my opinion doesn't matter but I feel that this game is here because the OHSAA feels like they will get more Irish fans than Viking fans. They just care about the $.. Shame actually. I'm sure they have a reason but you're going to tell me that no other site was available more North?

I totally agree. I've never seen 2 15 yard penalties on an extra point for a 32 yard 2 point conversion. I know my opinion doesn't matter but I feel that this game is here because the OHSAA feels like they will get more Irish fans than Viking fans. They just care about the $.. Shame actually. I'm sure they have a reason but you're going to tell me that no other site was available more North?
The fact that they had to so late to announce the venue should tell you they were searching for somewher to play. Ursuline will have to travel 45 min to play, its not like its in their back yard either. Every single game this weekend one team has to travel a little further tgan the other.

Would you have prefered the game be at Canfield? That was what it came down to, Marlington or Canfield to host...
At least Canfield seats 4100 if nothing else, but that would pretty much be a home game for Ursuline if it was that close.

In my opinion it's still basically is a HOME GAME for the Irish. For a 7PM game you have to leave your 3 hours early go through rush hour and construction. It is what it is but Its just lousy for VIKING players families, students, alumni, and fans...

The fact that they had to so late to announce the venue should tell you they were searching for somewher to play. Ursuline will have to travel 45 min to play, its not like its in their back yard either. Every single game this weekend one team has to travel a little further tgan the other.
bruh.. really? I get it it you're an Irish guy. So if the game would of been in Madison you'd be ok with it?

bruh.. really? I get it it you're an Irish guy. So if the game would of been in Madison you'd be ok with it?
We all have to play where the OSHAA assigns us to play. So yes, we would have been okay with it. Since two years ago we played in the regional championship we played Glenville at Euclid High School which is about a ten minute drive from Glenville High School. And Ursuline is an one hour and fifteen minute drive to Euclid High School.

bruh.. really? I get it it you're an Irish guy. So if the game would have been in Madison you'd be ok with it?
Just be glad you’re still playing. It’s week 13 and this very well could be the best game in the state in any division and your team is hitting their stride.

Vikings by a TD. Good luck to both teams.

Stadium seems kind of small for a matchup like this. Did the state get a little less strict on their qualifications for hosting?

says here capacity is 2.6k https://ohiostadiums.com/stadium.php?id=1875
It's a beautiful stadium I mean personally I don't think it's too small because if the game don't sell out then it must have been a perfect venue right? Plus I'm not going to lie to you bro I really think the OHSAA really dropped the ball by putting all the games on Friday night because they really limited the stadiums that they could use because everybody is playing on the same day

I'm pretty sure he would go watch his team play wherever they're assigned to play honestly bro I mean you're right it does suck but if you follow and support your team you going to go watch them regardless. Hell Massillon has played Hoban in Akron 2 times now

In my opinion it's still basically is a HOME GAME for the Irish. For a 7PM game you have to leave your 3 hours early go through rush hour and construction. It is what it is but Its just lousy for VIKING players families, students, alumni, and fans...
It is an hour and 15 minutes from St. Joe's and 50-55 minutes from Ursuline. Canfield would be about 15 minutes for Ursuline and an hour and 15-20 minutes for St. Joe's.

Ursuline played Glenville a couple years ago at Euclid. It doesn't matter if your ok with it or not, it is what it is. The OHSAA isn't worried about one fanbase having to travel 25 m8les more than the other.

Do families, students, alumni and fans nit have cars? How did they come to youngstown then?

As much as Simkon rides TCC, I have to agree with him. I truly hope the Irish win it all, but TCC could probably win DI.

Warren Harding had a guy that was their leader in the band. did the baton thing. That was one of the best things at a game. doesn't exist anymore, kinda sad.