Division III Region 9 Semi Finals: #5 VASJ Vikings (9-3) vs #1 Ursuline Fighting Irish (12-0) @ Marlington

C'Town216

Matchup: #5 VASJ Vikings (9-3) vs #1 Ursuline Fighting Irish
When: November 10, 2023
Kickoff: 7pm
Address: 10320 Moulin Ave NE, Alliance, OH 44601
Previous Round Results:
VASJ: 43, Kenston 14
Ursuline 16, Canfield 13
Last meeting: 2023 Week 8: Ursuline 38, VASJ 18
2023 Common Opponents: Youngstown East and Cardinal Mooney
Projection: Ursuline -12
Winner faces winner of #7 Chardon vs #3 Aurora

Last edited:

Region 9 for the 2nd straight week is treated with another regular season rematch next Friday when #5 VASJ takes on #1 and unbeaten Ursuline. The question of where this game will be played will be announced sometime this weekend, likely Sunday when the pairings are officially announced.

Likely sites to host Round II of Vikings vs Irish:

* Ashtabula Lakeside (most neutral site between both schools)
* Ravenna (2nd most neutral site between both schools)
* Hudson
* Twinsburg

My thoughts on this game from a VASJ alum/fan perspective:

Another revenge opportunity is presented for the Vikings who curb stomped Kenston in round 2 after getting punk’d in Week 4. The Vikings honestly played their best game all season and showed their full potential (minus the self inflicted fumbles by Steubal). The defense did not allow Kenston’s offense to get rolling at all, when Kenston was flirting the Vikings came away with a key turnovers and prevented any momentum to be gained on Kenston’s side. The Vikings are tasked with another big task next week and may be just as tough. Facing Ursuline’s high powered and high scoring offense.

Last meeting the two faced, the Vikings had the right mindset trying to slow the game down on offense and work the clock as much as possible. That worked for a bit until self inflicted penalties, some questionable? But non the less avoidable personal foul penalties that forced the Vikings into playing 10, 15 yards from the sticks being forced to move away from their strength in the run game and was too much to overcome, including 3 failed PAT attempts, 1 FG and 2 2pt conversions that all failed. In addition, failed scoring opportunities where the Vikings were in goal to go situations but came up empty.

Ursuline has always been iffy on defense but their offense has been able to keep up the scoring and make it difficult to beat them. They will get their points, no question, but the key is to be one point better. The Viking defense better be ready again, other wise, before you know it, it can be running clock all over. This game will come down to discipline, defense, and being able to move and score the ball, and avoid mistakes that will find you playing behind the sticks or turning the ball over.

In my heart, my hope is for another upset. In my mind and true reality, I think Ursuline will come away with the win in a tough hard fought game. But any given Friday in the playoffs where anything can happen.

Best wishes to both teams and fans and hoping for an injury free game!

Last edited:
Region 9 for the 2nd straight week is treated with another regular season rematch next Friday when #5 VASJ takes on #1 and unbeaten Ursuline. The question of where this game will be played will be announced sometime this weekend, likely Sunday when the pairings are officially announced.

Likely sites to host Round II of Vikings vs Irish:

* Ashtabula Lakeside (most neutral site between both schools)
* Ravenna (2nd most neutral site between both schools)
* Hudson
* Twinsburg

My thoughts on this game from a VASJ alum/fan perspective:

Another revenge opportunity is presented for the Vikings who curb stomped Kenston in round 2 after getting punk’d in Week 4. The Vikings honestly played their best game all season and showed their full potential (minus the self inflicted fumbles by Steubal). The defense did not allow Kenston’s offense to get rolling at all, when Kenston was flirting the Vikings came away with a key turnovers and prevented any momentum to be gained on Kenston’s side. The Vikings are tasked with another big task next week and may be just as tough. Facing Ursuline’s high powered and high scoring offense.

Last meeting the two faced, the Vikings had the right mindset trying to slow the game down on offense and work the clock as much as possible. That worked for a bit until self inflicted penalties, some questionable? But non the less avoidable personal foul penalties that forced the Vikings into playing 10, 15 yards from the sticks being forced to move away from their strength in the run game and was too much to overcome, including 3 failed PAT attempts, 1 FG and 2 2pt conversions that all failed. In addition, failed scoring opportunities where the Vikings were in goal to go situations but came up empty.

Ursuline has always been iffy on defense but their offense has been able to keep up the scoring and make it difficult to beat them. They will get their points, no question, but the key is to be one point better. The Viking defense better be ready again, other wise, before you know it, it can be running clock all over. This game will come down to discipline, defense, and being able to move and score the ball, and avoid mistakes that will find you playing behind the sticks or turning the ball over.

In my heart, my hope is for another upset. In my mind and true reality, I think Ursuline will come away with the win in a tough hard fought game. But any given Friday in the playoffs where anything can happen.

Best wishes to both teams and fans and hoping for an injury free game!
Good analysis! Should be a great game. The Vikings very skilled and will be tough to beat. I always say it is very hard to beat a team twice in a season in HS football so the Irish will have play their best ball to get the win. Go Irish!

This is probably the only team that the Irish have played that compares athletically. Vasj really shot themselves in the foot multiple times in the first meeting. They do not seem to handle adversity well at all. Would like to see ursuline get back to some of those quick hitters... swing passes, quick slants, even Ferrell in the wildcat. Btw how about him coming in last night and throwing a beautiful 15-20 yard pass. Just feel like he needs to be touching the ball more.

This is probably the only team that the Irish have played that compares athletically. Vasj really shot themselves in the foot multiple times in the first meeting. They do not seem to handle adversity well at all. Would like to see ursuline get back to some of those quick hitters... swing passes, quick slants, even Ferrell in the wildcat. Btw how about him coming in last night and throwing a beautiful 15-20 yard pass. Just feel like he needs to be touching the ball more.
Very accurate statement with how they’ve shot themselves in the foot multiple times over the season. I feel last night, the Vikings showed their true potential and was able to overcome two costly unforced turnovers and very suspect officiating, which I usually don’t get on much, showed a lot of growth since their slump before hand. I’m excited to see this rematch next week.

100%. He should be touching the ball more than anybody on the offense.

Vasj needs to get # 2 and 21 in the backfield together, the qb is a pretty good runner also, that way they could really be a 3 dimension running attack and not even have to throw much!

Vasj needs to get # 2 and 21 in the backfield together, the qb is a pretty good runner also, that way they could really be a 3 dimension running attack and not even have to throw much!
I would be all for it and leaves teams on their heels wondering who’s gonna end up with the ball? Powell, Jackson, or even Steuball.

Region 9 is a meat grinder. Tough teams left standing. Canfield is no slouch whatsoever so I think that maybe the wake up call Ursuline needed. Best of luck to the Irish it certainly isn't going to get easier.

Turnovers and penalties. Ursuline had way too many against Canfield. Give Canfield credit. They forced Ursuline to play their game and it almost worked. This should be a great game. Good luck to the Irish!

Any rumblings or word coming from the Youngstown side regarding where this game is going to be played at? Nothing still over here.

I was hearing Euclid.
Not gonna lie, would be irony if that’s the case. Not to discredit you, Euclid is literally a 2 minute drive down Tracey from VASJ which would give VASJ an advantage come travel + some people at Euclid have beef with Rotsky over his exit from Euclid that would factor in hosting the game. So i doubt this will be played at Euclid.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, would be irony if that’s the case. Not to discredit you, Euclid is literally a 2 minute drive down Tracey from VASJ which would give VASJ an advantage come travel + some people at Euclid have beef with Rotsky over his exit from Euclid that would factor in hosting the game. So i doubt this will be played at Euclid.
It's what I was told from one of the Ursuline players. They played Glenville there a couple of years ago so who knows. Nice venue.

It's what I was told from one of the Ursuline players. They played Glenville there a couple of years ago so who knows. Nice venue.
I mean I’ve seen plenty of head scratchers like Ursuline vs Glenville at Euclid. And if that is the case, this would be VASJ’s first game at Euclid since the 2020 season, the last year they called DiBiasio Stadium home.

Marlington HS Stadium

3000 seat capacity. Have brought in extra bleachers before if required for team bands, extra seating.
Home & Visitor side inside restrooms & concessions. Standard fare concessions (pizza, hot dogs, nachos, etc.).
Nice scoreboard, lights, & digital down markers.
Sufficient parking at high school & middle school across the street. Also in grass at high school. Relatively short walking distances.

Marlington HS Stadium

3000 seat capacity. Have brought in extra bleachers before if required for team bands, extra seating.
Home & Visitor side inside restrooms & concessions. Standard fare concessions (pizza, hot dogs, nachos, etc.).
Nice scoreboard, lights, & digital down markers.
Sufficient parking at high school & middle school across the street. Also in grass at high school. Relatively short walking distances.
Any recommendations to grab a bite to eat and a few drinks in the area prior to the game?

Any recommendations to grab a bite to eat and a few drinks in the area prior to the game?
There are no restaurants or bars that I know of by the stadium, the closest place would be in Alliance. There is a Texas Roadhouse and Buffalo Wild Wings on US-62 in the center of Alliance.
From US-224 to US-62, which is roughly 20 miles there are no restaurants or bars to speak of, so once you go past US-224 there is no where to stop unless you go completely past the stadium and go an additional 10 miles or so into town on US-62.
Otherwise if you want to stop near the halfway point, there are a bunch of options in Twinsburg and Streetsboro along I-480/SR-14.

If where you are coming from brings you down I-77 or SR-8 and across US-224 instead of down SR-14, then your best bet is likely stopping somewhere in Akron or Cuyahoga Falls on the way down as there are not many options once you get off 8 or 77 beyond the Akron/North Canton area.

The only other suggestion would be maybe Cracker Barrel in Rootstown but it is a bit out of the way most likely, probably adds 5 minutes. And Parrason's is an Italian restaurant near Akron/Canton if you come from 8 or 77.

Basically US-62 in Alliance has one of most major fast food chain restaurants if nothing else.

West State Street (173) from Rte 183 to Rte 62 is loaded with local & chain establishments.
A few of my local favorites which serve food along with drinks.

A-Town Burgers & Brews
Aeonian Brewing Company
Reye's Rte. 62 Bar & Grill
Don Panchos Tex-Mex Cafe

All within 4 to 6 miles of the high school. Marlington is on the outskirts of Alliance. Alliance is the city school.

Rte 62 / west on State Street / right on Moulin Ave & you're at the stadium. Real easy to get to off of US 62.