Division II State Semifinal: Winton Woods (11-3) vs Uniontown Green (11-3)

Who wins?

• Winton Woods by 17+

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Winton Woods by 8-16

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Winton Woods by 1-7

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Green by 1-7

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Green by 8-16

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Green by 17+

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At this point, it's about the strength and conditioning program. Which team will be stronger? Idk anything about Green other than they have a stud at WR (TRE MARTIN) kid can play but I noticed they have some kids going both ways that could be an issue. I'm sure they will try to emulate Anderson's gameplan in trying to secure a victory. Spread us out & attack certain areas of the field to slow our pass rush down. I expect to see screens a lot Friday evening to try to set us up for the big play later.

At this point, it's about the strength and conditioning program. Which team will be stronger? Idk anything about Green other than they have a stud at WR (TRE MARTIN) kid can play but I noticed they have some kids going both ways that could be an issue. I'm sure they will try to emulate Anderson's gameplan in trying to secure a victory. Spread us out & attack certain areas of the field to slow our pass rush down. I expect to see screens a lot Friday evening to try to set us up for the big play later.
Green tries to get the ball out quickly in order to offset their deficiencies up front. Massillon played them well off the line of scrimmage(10yards it seemed) in the secondary allowing them to nickel and dime the Tigers down the field. If WW has the speed to go man to man with them in the secondary the game could be over quick if not look out it could be another upset victory for Green.

Green tries to get the ball out quickly in order to offset their deficiencies up front. Massillon played them well off the line of scrimmage(10yards it seemed) in the secondary allowing them to nickel and dime the Tigers down the field. If WW has the speed to go man to man with them in the secondary the game could be over quick if not look out it could be another upset victory for Green.
Yes similar to Anderson air raid attack. Just try to screen us, hit us w draws to keep us honest. I saw they were little up front. We are pretty big up front. Out offensive line littlest guy may weigh 275/280

Green struggled early due to injuries, but once healthy they became a handful. If WW takes them lightly like Massillon did, Green will win again.
WW struggled early also. The departure of there very successful head coach late in the school year (last season) started it. New head coach and staff. New system on offense and defense. Coaches getting to know the players. Players buying into all the changes. There was definitely an adjustment period finding an identity. By mid season things started improving and by week 7 or 8 things started to CLICK!! WW has been so PHYSICAL and playing with an abundance of confidence. This team will not overlook Green! WW won’t allow themselves to.

Well, Green certainly has another tall order. They did against Massillon too and overcame it, w/ a couple to's, an unbelievable 20 penalties, a controversial 4th down call at the end, by 1 point. And safe to say WW is better than Massillon this year. Much respect for that program, and nobody is overlooking anybody at this point. They should be favored by 2-3 td's at least but that's why they play the game, anything can happen.

Good luck to both teams.

WW by 20+ Green could barely beat Massillon with all the penalties then I don’t see it being close.

Trey Martin will have to carry the team hard, which I think he has the ability to do, but WW had a lot of speed so let’s see.

Hey Green guys tell us about your team.
Don't know much about em other than reading on here and Joe Eitel.
I'm gonna watch some game action of them this week when I get a chance.
Green runs a 5-wide offense, throws about 2/3 of the time. When Green runs its usually a QB draw or jet sweep to one of the receivers. Van Horn at QB is also a very good runner. Trey Martin at receiver is one of the best players in Northeast Ohio, I think he has 25 TD this year. The line isn't that big outside of CJ Dawson, a 300 pound tackle who's going to Wheeling. However, the line is athletic and physical and doesn't give up many sacks. Quinn Simmer and Jack Schaal are also very good receivers in addition to Trey Martin.

Defensively, the strength is the secondary. Martin, Simmer, Alex Neff and Luke Budziak are all excellent players. Schaal is a very good tackler at linebacker. Green is very good at forcing turnovers and there are not many missed tackles. The whole defense is fast and has a nose for the ball. Green has 5 guys who start on both sides of the ball. The team is senior-dominated. The roster has 45 guys and half of them are seniors, I think 17 of the 22 starters are seniors. Overall, Green has a very well-coached disciplined team that plays physical, fundamentally- sound football.

I know nothing about Winton Wood. Tell us something about them. Green has overachieved this year but they deserve a chance to get to championship. Hopefully a good exciting game next week.
Winton Wood”s” is a very good team with a challenging schedule and I’ll leave it at that.

Green runs a 5-wide offense, throws about 2/3 of the time. When Green runs its usually a QB draw or jet sweep to one of the receivers. Van Horn at QB is also a very good runner. Trey Martin at receiver is one of the best players in Northeast Ohio, I think he has 25 TD this year. The line isn't that big outside of CJ Dawson, a 300 pound tackle who's going to Wheeling. However, the line is athletic and physical and doesn't give up many sacks. Quinn Simmer and Jack Schaal are also very good receivers in addition to Trey Martin.

Defensively, the strength is the secondary. Martin, Simmer, Alex Neff and Luke Budziak are all excellent players. Schaal is a very good tackler at linebacker. Green is very good at forcing turnovers and there are not many missed tackles. The whole defense is fast and has a nose for the ball. Green has 5 guys who start on both sides of the ball. The team is senior-dominated. The roster has 45 guys and half of them are seniors, I think 17 of the 22 starters are seniors. Overall, Green has a very well-coached disciplined team that plays physical, fundamentally- sound football.
Well WW doesn't have kids that play both ways. No starters on special teams either. WW has 75 kids 26 are seniors who have carried the team this playoff season. WW has depth on the offensive and defensive line that could play a factor.

Hey Green guys tell us about your team.
Don't know much about em other than reading on here and Joe Eitel.
I'm gonna watch some game action of them this week when I get a chance.
Green's Best player is an overweight, Middle-aged side judge. While that doesn't typically bode well for football, they always have a chance when he shows up.

Ok now seriously lol... they have a smart and efficient QB that wont cost them many mistakes. Very good arm, he'll keep you honest with his mobility and ability to hit you overtop. They have 1 really good receiver and 1 excellent receiver. you have to account for Trey Martin at all times when he's on the field.. and he doesn't leave it... so account for him. He's a potential to score every time he has the ball. Their front 7 arent big but play much bigger than they are. They play their assignments and plug holes. They'll make it tougher on you to run than you'd think by looking at them. They're a lot better than they look on paper.

Last edited:
Green's Best player is an overweight, Middle-aged side judge. While that doesn't typically bode well for football, they always have a chance when he shows up.

Ok now seriously lol... they have a smart and efficient QB that wont cost them many mistakes. Very good arm, he'll keep you honest with his mobility and ability to hit you overtop. They have 1 really good receiver and 1 excellent receiver. you have to account for Trey Martin at all times when he's on the field.. and he doesn't leave it... so account for him. He's a potential to score every time he has the ball. Their front 7 arent big but play much bigger than they are. They play their assignments and plug holes. They'll make it tougher on you to run than you'd think by looking at them. They're a lot better than they look on paper.
Well said! I was all fired up to reply after reading the first section....all good! Pretty accurate report

I'm sure your DBs WOULDN"T play 10 yrds. off their receivers and give them the game, by allowing them to pass at will!!!

Last edited: