Division II State Championship: Massillon Washington (14-0) vs. La Salle (12-2)

Who wins?

• Massillon by 15+

Votes: 20 6.8%
  • Massillon by 8-14

Votes: 50 16.9%
  • Massillon by 1-7

Votes: 80 27.0%
  • La Salle by 1-7

Votes: 78 26.4%
  • La Salle by 8-14

Votes: 46 15.5%
  • La Salle by 15+

Votes: 22 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
JAF is hardly a Massillon fan. Diehard Mckinley. I agree that public dollars should NOT go to private orgs. Any org. They choose to be private because they explicitly refuse the public oversight and regulations that comes w/ public taxes, which public orgs MUST abide by. It is wrong.

That said congrats to LaSalle on their 4th title in 6 years. That is now 8 between they and Hoban in 6 years. Monsters of D2. TCC not far behind. Who, How, When will a D2 public unseat them? Hard to imagine at the moment.

Does Massillon have a dads club or similar where they get to watch game film with the coach? That would be interesting to attend this week. “Well here the lancers have a 3rd and 2 so we are going to play a prevent. Instead they surprised us with the 10th jet sweep of the drive.” “And here we are with a 3rd and 2 so we are just going to chuck that ball up over that mountain and hope for the best”

I get it, but La Salle dominated Massillon up front the whole game. There was really nothing they could do.

Does Massillon have a dads club or similar where they get to watch game film with the coach? That would be interesting to attend this week. “Well here the lancers have a 3rd and 2 so we are going to play a prevent. Instead they surprised us with the 10th jet sweep of the drive.” “And here we are with a 3rd and 2 so we are just going to chuck that ball up over that mountain and hope for the best”
You're spot on. Zero adjustments to that jet sweep. Also the two 4th and 6's where Massillon tried 40 yard go routes were perplexing, especially since the HB screen was wide open.

I gave Massillon the coaching edge going in, but Moore was dramatically outcoached. McLaughlin put together an excellent game plan and his team executed it flawlessly, minus two blown coverages in the first half.

Last year, you could point to the fake punt and a dropped pass on Massillon's first drive as the difference in the game. This was an kicking in all facets. Still, proud of Massillon's season overall and congrats to La Salle.

Some things that jumped out at me in this one.

First, what an exceptional job by the LaSalle lines. They controlled the game on both sides of the ball, something I never expected.

Second, while LaSalle played great up front, that zone was awful. I think the safeties eventually got the point that they shouldn't let receivers get behind them.

Third, Massillon was awfully dependent on the long vertical passing game. Way too much chuck and hope.

I was impressed by the sportsmanship of both teams. Mistakes were made on both sides of the ball, but there was never a lack of effort. Congrats to both teams on great seasons.

Observations from last night's title game:

QB Longwell had an even better arm than what I had seen in the McKinley and PT footage. Some great throws last night!
P Magnus always impressed and gave La Salle difficult field position each time he took the field.
RB Zion gained positive yards on every touch.
NT #77 was a class act, initiating the late game handshakes.
LB (sorry don't recall his name) had a few solid solo tackles last night.

K Seibert's 2 FGs and the final kickoff that split the uprights 20 feet off the ground were impressive, as always.
La Salle's coaching staff made an excellent halftime adjustment to take away the deep ball threat.
RB Payne's decision to slide to stay in bounds late in the game to keep the clock running was smart football from the sophomore. Well done!

Great personal and team efforts from many other players.

And thanks to the fine community of Canton last night. Received excellent service at George's Lounge, and warm welcomes from the locals.

Hope to get the chance to play Massillon again in 2020, preferably twice if we can schedule our common week 9 open date.
You've been a class act on this board all week. Thanks for the solid analysis and sportsmanship. Congrats on a well-deserved title.

I think the biggest difference was Speed. The O-Line and D-Line were so much faster then Mass. the skill players also were a step faster.

The play calling for Mass was very very bad. You have to have something other then 40 yard bombs. Middle of the field was open 10-15 yard passes all night.

After a few big hits looked like Mass was playing scared. LaSales playing power house teams every week helped sharpen the knife to get them ready for Mass.

Look for LaSales to Repeat. They will be with out #24 but #3 is a soph. All them DBs are Jr they have pretty much everyone back other then #24 I don’t see anyone touching them next year in D2. I think they will run away with it pretty easy next year

Headed to the Erie pub so they can cheer TIG GERS- lmao
Wife and I stopped in the Erie St. Pub to get a bite to eat last Friday, our first time their, and wondered why it was so packed. We just thought the food must be great, and it was. Then the TIG-ERS chants started, and I noticed that all the TV's were streaming the game vs. Avon. Mistake on my part, but hey the food was good.

JAF is hardly a Massillon fan. Diehard Mckinley. I agree that public dollars should NOT go to private orgs. Any org. They choose to be private because they explicitly refuse the public oversight and regulations that comes w/ public taxes, which public orgs MUST abide by. It is wrong.

That said congrats to LaSalle on their 4th title in 6 years. That is now 8 between they and Hoban in 6 years. Monsters of D2. TCC not far behind. Who, How, When will a D2 public unseat them? Hard to imagine at the moment.

Agreed. The best thing education-wise would be to provide vouchers for all students so they can choose how best to spend their education dollars from their tax dollars.

Bottom Line...

You have to have other plays than 50 yard bomb plays - I was surprised Tigers did not come out running in third quarter of tight game... - Maybe Tiger coach was scared to fumble again

And... First Defensive Man on Jet sweep (either side) kept getting put in a pickle - poor kids did not know to crash or go up field? - The LaSalle Jet sweep won the Championship!

Heff and uncle bob posted every five minutes all week. Now they forgot how?

And how does Moore and the DC not adjust to a jet sweep all game? LaSalle coaches must have been ecstatic.

No we did not have an answer for the jet sweep. Great line play, and not complaining but they almost dare you to call holding. They put hands on you and your're done. Haven't been blocked that way all year. But I agree at some point must adjust and probably some 20/20 hindsight on McConnell & staff right now. As far as running game clearly Keyes was not fully back yet. Almost wish they would have stuck w/ Phifer all game but in a big game gotta fire all your bullets and see what happens. We had to win the TO battle too and did not. All that said, the better team won, bottom line.

Aren't families sending their kids to private schools taxpayers too?

Don't we have a codified separation of church and state ?

Private colleges are struggling all over, yet we are not removing the subsidized component of an Ohio resident's potential tuition at Kent or Akron so that he can attend Hiram. That would be absurd.

The concept of private school educational vouchers were "sold" to the Ohio taxpayers as a stop-gap measure to "save" students in failing districts. We are going on 20 years of this BS now, and the definition of what constitutes a failing district has now expanded the "failure" school count from 40 to 139 next year and perhaps 400 the year after. These schools are losing their best and brightest students and are expected to post better test scores!! Proactive parents residing in these school districts are de-incentivized for improving their schools in the same manner that my neighbors and I focus on our own.

Incoming State funds have become integral parts of private school budgets that would otherwise be shutting their doors.

I don't give a crap about schools cherry-picking football players, in the grand scheme of things. This practice must end.

Why should we, we aren’t a D1 school. We can bash Hoban we beat them this year. 3 of the 5 D1 teams Lasalle plays because they are in a league with them, the other 2 D1 teams are jokes.
Interesting that you would call both Mason and Lakota West jokes. Both made the DI playoffs

Don't we have a codified separation of church and state ?

Private colleges are struggling all over, yet we are not removing the subsidized component of an Ohio resident's potential tuition at Kent or Akron so that he can attend Hiram. That would be absurd.

The concept of private school educational vouchers were "sold" to the Ohio taxpayers as a stop-gap measure to "save" students in failing districts. We are going on 20 years of this BS now, and the definition of what constitutes a failing district has now expanded the "failure" school count from 40 to 139 next year and perhaps 400 the year after. Incoming State funds have become integral parts of private school budgets that would otherwise be shutting their doors.

I don't give a crap about schools cherry-picking football players, in the grand scheme of things. This practice must end.
I disagree.

I know it's an obvious point, but the jet sweep worked because LaSalle's execution was outstanding all game long. It is foolish to blame the Massillon DC for not adjusting. You don't think he recognized the problem? You don't think he didn't try different schemes to try to stop it? It was simply a matter of LaSalle's offensive line out-muscling Massillon's defensive line. There were gaping holes and the Lancers backs made great cutbacks and decisions with the ball. LaSalle's quarterback is special. Whenever LaSalle brought motion that looked like a jet sweep, especially in the second half, he tucked it away and got positive yardage almost every time. Like Lombardi said of the Green Bay sweep, even though everyone knew it was coming, if you out-execute the opponent it will work. LaSalle did that last night.

A few thoughts and statements.
-The Lancers trench play was better than I expected. On both sides. I wondered all year if our smallish d line (besides 77) would eventually get pushed around. Well, it happened tonight.
-The one thing that hurt Massillon all year was a running qb. The only thing really. And this qb was the absolute best we've seen. Lightning quick.
-#3 for the Lancers was the best player on the field tonight. Phenomenal. Both sides. Gobbled up our running game and was electric with the ball. Only a soph!!! Really impressed.
-#24 was fantastic as well.
-Loved the two bombs the tigers got but where is the route tree? We have a go rt, wr screen and nothing else?
-The 2 to's forced us into a game we weren't accustomed to.
-Massillon never sold out to stop the run and it killed them. Afraid of the big pass play, I guess...
-The predictable one running play finally died tonight. Got to have more than one tool in the toolbox. A counter? Sweep? Off tackle? I think mass had to mix it up tonight with a team that's at least as talented as they were.
-Last but not least I would like to congratulate the Lancers. They took their title tonight. Surprised the heck outta me by the physical way they accomplished it against the best Massillon team that I've ever seen in my 45 years. And especially Payne, hope to see him in Columbus someday. Go Tigers, 2020!
This is a great analysis of what happened to Massillon. Thanks for coming on here and posting it. I posted short videos of both Payne and Branam on here, and the Massillon faithful said that if that was our best, they liked their chances of winning.

Wife and I stopped in the Erie St. Pub to get a bite to eat last Friday, our first time their, and wondered why it was so packed. We just thought the food must be great, and it was. Then the TIG-ERS chants started, and I noticed that all the TV's were streaming the game vs. Avon. Mistake on my part, but hey the food was good.

LOL

Heff and uncle bob posted every five minutes all week. Now they forgot how?

And how does Moore and the DC not adjust to a jet sweep all game? LaSalle coaches must have been ecstatic.

I could not understand why they never adjusted to Jet Sweep!!!!

It is just like running the option play and once you clear first defender it is 10 yard for sure.... Tiger Defenders were walking right into the lead blocker and did not have any support from other LBs...

Tigers should have switched to DIFFERENT defense second half - It was OBVIOUS La Salle was NOT going to pass!!

Like I always say for years and years - the difference is always Coaching!

I know it's an obvious point, but the jet sweep worked because LaSalle's execution was outstanding all game long. It is foolish to blame the Massillon DC for not adjusting. You don't think he recognized the problem? You don't think he didn't try different schemes to try to stop it? It was simply a matter of LaSalle's offensive line out-muscling Massillon's defensive line. There were gaping holes and the Lancers backs made great cutbacks and decisions with the ball. LaSalle's quarterback is special. Whenever LaSalle brought motion that looked like a jet sweep, especially in the second half, he tucked it away and got positive yardage almost every time. Like Lombardi said of the Green Bay sweep, even though everyone knew it was coming, if you out-execute the opponent it will work. LaSalle did that last night.

Agreed. There was a point in the third quarter at which you just realized they were not able to adjust like LS adjusted to the deep ball. Didn't have the dudes up front, the power to bring down Cam or the speed to stop Branham or Payne.

Status
Not open for further replies.