Division II - Region 5 Championship: Archbishop Hoban (11-1) vs. Massillon Washington (12-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hope at WHS they are aware that the team GPA is a nice accolade to receive, but anyone in education knows that it is a false narrative. First of all it does not take the entire team's GPA into consideration, it is a sample size of I believe 30-40 kids from the team. Second, if GPA were the truest predictor of academic preparation, why are students required to take the ACT or SAT for college admission? I am not saying that they shouldn't be proud, but every school has been and will be continuing to focus on the remediation-free scores for their students as a true benchmark for academic success.

I am not saying this is the case, but here's an example of what I am saying: You can go to school A and receive a 3.75 GPA but only score an 18 on the ACT with subscores in Math and English of 16, which would require remedial classes in college. Or you could go to school B and receive a 3.5 GPA and score a 24 on the ACT with all subscores being above 18, thus requiring no remedial classes in college. Which would you prefer?
Then please email the OHSAA and tell them that using gpa is just a false narrative as well when they give out their academic team awards each year. At WHS the team gpa is the team’s gpa, don’t make a statement and then use “I believe” that’s just ignorant. On top of that Massillon also has an ACT class for their football players and in many instances this year kids have increased their number by upwards of many points the best going from a 19 to a 32 so yes we know all about test scores along with gpa.
Do you realize that you can get a 3.6 and have a low ACT and still easily test out of taking any remedial classes.

Starkbuck those are your preconceptions. I happen to take offense to them but opinions are just that, which is fine. Other certain parents, of other certain students, and other certain athletes, feel that Massillon is a better fit, culturally, socially, athletically, AND academically. I don't need to explain why or cast negative judgment on any other school.

I’d say can we please get back to the game but based on the last 15 hours it appears as if that will have to wait until 7 tonight. ?

I would say that your perception that football trumps academics in Massillon is a misconception. When scales are adjusted for income Massillon measures up as one of the top schools in the county. https://www.cleveland.com/news/g66l...-for-income-with-2019-report-card-grades.html

All that being said there is plenty of room for improvement and I believe Salvino is guiding us down that path.

I think Salvino is a great superintendent! However, I don't think what I am saying is a misconception at all. First, you cannot tell me that for a second that there is more emphasis placed on academic success in Massillon than their football team when both are successful. I know I will never prove that to you as it is an opinion, but I think it is pretty well known and Massillon faithful are proud of that.

I also think that report you shared, is a cherry-picked piece of stats that help shape the conversation for the impoverished districts in the eyes of tax payers. Again, that is my opinion, but from those rankings Massillon is below seven other Stark County schools (Plain, Tuslaw, Lake, Northwest, Marlington, Perry, North Canton). So while I don't believe that Massillon is a desolate wasteland of academia, there are seven better choices within the same county. It also does not help that all but the intermediate school has been labeled a failing school for the upcoming school year in the eyes of the ODE. Again, I am not saying that Massillon is a terrible district, but why choose the eighth best district for my son if my priorities are raising a man to be successful for life after football?

Starkbuck those are your preconceptions. I happen to take offense to them but opinions are just that, which is fine. Other certain parents, of other certain students, and other certain athletes, feel that Massillon is a better fit, culturally, socially, athletically, AND academically. I don't need to explain why or cast negative judgment on any other school.
I'm not sure why you'd take offense to my opinion as it wasn't offered for you, but rather the person who asked why wouldn't someone send their child to Massillon if they were a high school football player. I am not trashing the district, but rather stating my belief in the development of a young man is far more than just where he would be able to play football, or what the facilities are like. If I offended you, that was not my intent and as I have stated above, I think that Salvino is doing great work there, but facts are facts.

ST V should be ashamed of how they do minority athletes . They set him up to fail , just too bad he won’t ?. Tell lebron that more than a athlete some BullSh especially coming from them bums .. F stv and mck
Judging by your vernacular, Massillon should be even more ashamed, punk.

Without our official big school State Football Championships Stark County would have NONE

ST V should be ashamed of how they do minority athletes . They set him up to fail , just too bad he won’t ?. Tell lebron that more than a athlete some BullSh especially coming from them bums .. F stv and mck

Isn't a minority former St V athlete the most celebrated athlete walking the Earth?

Wow.... Some of you so called "Civilized adults" are really trying to "Justify" assault....If Everyone took matters into their own hands the world would be more Fu@$ed up then it already is... A world full of vigilantes....That's sad and really "Pathetic"on so many levels....?... Let's bring back the good old"Lynch mob" mentality.... Who care if he plays, he's charged with a "Felony" as a young "black" soon to be man... In this country that can be all bad!!! Fu@$ a game of football!!!! Keys and his future is in my prayers.....
It’s not assault if he was defending his grandma

I'm amazed at the joy some people take in the potential fall of a young kid. If this is true, this could be the beginning of the end for a promising young man. Also, if it's true, it's blame lies directly at his feet. It's not some vast conspiracy or the fault of Hoban, SVSM, Massillon or anyone else. Simple societal rules are just that- simple, and everyone knows them. What too many fail to realize is that this is about more than just football.

For the sake of the KID, I hope it's all a big misunderstanding/internet rumor and that he'll move on to a prosperous adulthood without a conviction burdening his future. I'm sick and damn tired of reading those types of stories.

Not having Keyes is a big blow to Massillon. He is very good. The Tigers will need to hit on a few 50-50 balls to their WR’s.

I'm amazed at the joy some people take in the potential fall of a young kid. If this is true, this could be the beginning of the end for a promising young man. Also, if it's true, it's blame lies directly at his feet. It's not some vast conspiracy or the fault of Hoban, SVSM, Massillon or anyone else. Simple societal rules are just that- simple, and everyone knows them. What too many fail to realize is that this is about more than just football.

For the sake of the KID, I hope it's all a big misunderstanding/internet rumor and that he'll move on to a prosperous adulthood without a conviction burdening his future. I'm sick and damn tired of reading those types of stories.
This should be the main focus. Imagine wanting to see a high school kid fail.

I think Salvino is a great superintendent! However, I don't think what I am saying is a misconception at all. First, you cannot tell me that for a second that there is more emphasis placed on academic success in Massillon than their football team when both are successful. I know I will never prove that to you as it is an opinion, but I think it is pretty well known and Massillon faithful are proud of that.

I also think that report you shared, is a cherry-picked piece of stats that help shape the conversation for the impoverished districts in the eyes of tax payers. Again, that is my opinion, but from those rankings Massillon is below seven other Stark County schools (Plain, Tuslaw, Lake, Northwest, Marlington, Perry, North Canton). So while I don't believe that Massillon is a desolate wasteland of academia, there are seven better choices within the same county. It also does not help that all but the intermediate school has been labeled a failing school for the upcoming school year in the eyes of the ODE. Again, I am not saying that Massillon is a terrible district, but why choose the eighth best district for my son if my priorities are raising a man to be successful for life after football?
Respect. Stating YOUR opinions with no bashing and complete honesty. I can get down with that! You do you my man.

Yeah because we all know that all Massillon does is produce failures.

It's unfortunate, but if true, I hope he learns and grows from it as he transitions to adulthood. It's a distraction for the team for sure, but they can win this game.

Good luck to the Tigers tonight!

Where did you see that Massillon was without Keyes ?

He was arrested for a felony on a Thursday and I don’t see any school being trashy enough to play him on a Friday. Some things are bigger than football. Make that most things.

He was arrested for a felony on a Thursday and I don’t see any school being trashy enough to play him on a Friday. Some things are bigger than football. Make that most things.
It’s amazing how many outsiders are so concerned with everything Massillon. Your team is literally in a state of “who the hell the coach is going to be next year” , and on top of that, the team you are so concerned about boat raced your asses 65-0 the last 2 years. If that was Massillon I sure as hell wouldn’t be up in arms about what someone else was doing.

Hey Peycash,
Give it a rest, Uncle Thomas.

Without our official big school State Football Championships Stark County would have NONE

Status
Not open for further replies.