Division II - Region 5 Championship: Archbishop Hoban (11-1) vs. Massillon Washington (12-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know. Keys grew up wanting to be a Tiger all the way up in Akron! And his school actually has real state championships! And that GPA ...uh...who was the kid you forgot to mention...missed the last Hoban game...

Without our official big school State Football Championships Stark County would have NONE
Apparently your former QB....could t cut the mustard. Apparently A's and B's at McKinley are the equivalent of C's and D+'s at other schools.

Re-read some of the posts from tiger fans. Now, who has an unhealthy infatuation with teenage boys? Your use of the "r" word shows your total lack of compassion or class.
But you're ok with JJ saying he couldn't cover our big fat kid?

You're a hypocrite and because of people like you the Loserville Leopards Belo g in the Fed with the rest of out punching bags.

How does all this impact the game tonight? Whatever happens this is a big distraction for coach Moore and the entire Tiger team. No one wants or deserves this to happen on the eave of a game like this. The young man came to Massillon for this and this reason only, win a state championship and earn a scholarship to further his education. Now both could be in jeopardy depending on how this all plays out. How does this affect his teammates? Remember these are all 16-18 year old high schoolers who have a lot on their plate already. I am surprised that this just now came out. How long has the Massillon coaches, school administration and community been aware of this allegation and possible charges? It appears that charges have been dismissed and the young man will be allowed to play tonight. Whatever happens it has certainly added some additional drama for what should be a great game. Good luck to both teams and fan bases for a heavyweight contest.

Honestly this is just stinks all ways around. I don’t know anything. I’m not going to speculate. I trust the Massillon staff and administration to handle this situation well. I will respect any decision made by those in power whether it be Massillon City Schools, the OHSAA or Summit County. This isn’t a situation to be taken lightly of championed by the pathetic Massillon haters.

Honestly this is just stinks all ways around. I don’t know anything. I’m not going to speculate. I trust the Massillon staff and administration to handle this situation well. I will respect any decision made by those in power whether it be Massillon City Schools, the OHSAA or Summit County. This isn’t a situation to be taken lightly of championed by the pathetic Massillon haters.
Or the pathetic Massillon sympathizers.

Cuts both ways.

Will Traynum matchup in man with Ballard? Massilons Lamp is great as well, it's gonna be a good one.
Under normal circumstances he probably would at times, but I doubt you'll see him play any defensive snaps. I think the most they can hope for is that he can give them some meaningful carries.

Wow.... Some of you so called "Civilized adults" are really trying to "Justify" assault....If Everyone took matters into their own hands the world would be more Fu@$ed up then it already is... A world full of vigilantes....That's sad and really "Pathetic"on so many levels....?... Let's bring back the good old"Lynch mob" mentality.... Who care if he plays, he's charged with a "Felony" as a young "black" soon to be man... In this country that can be all bad!!! Fu@$ a game of football!!!! Keys and his future is in my prayers.....
Man just shut the f up .. meet us at the tailgate . I bet you won’t

How many times does someone have to say his old address still on his drivers lic. My old one was on there for 2 years before i changed it. He still visited his grandma a lot in the summer. This will all be cleared up soon. However, I still wouldn’t play him tonight. Tigers will still win!!

How dare you get on here and try to speak the truth, the DF’s on here that have agendas don’t want to listen to that at all. They believe we have boosters in all areas of the county with guns and vans just waiting to kidnap the next kid and force him to come to Massillon. They don’t realize that kids want to follow a winner !!! Along with the best high school stadium in the state, an indoor facility that rivals a lot of the NFL teams, best coaching staff in the state, Coaches that will do anything and everything they can to get your college paid for,
and for the parents the Tiger TEAM gpa for the 1st qtr was a 3.37.
If I am a parent of a high school football player why wouldn’t you send your kid to Massillon ??

Team GPA is not really a good benchmark of academic achievement, but that is a good start. Not citing Massillon specifically, but I would be more concerned with the percentage of remediation-free ACT scores entering college.

But to answer your question why I wouldn't send my son to Massillon, I believe that there is far more to high school than football and that should not be the defining portrait of a person who is becoming a functioning member of our society. Furthermore, the environment which I would want for my son does not include a culture in which a sport is put above the academic preparation and development of a person, in the way that Massillon does their football team. Before you call me a hater or something else, I actually think Nate Moore has brought more respect to this team than previous coaches, and really don't have anything against the football program. My issue is the culture that exists around the football team which belittles the emphasis of academic and personal development, and develops unreal expectations for young men. I am not trying to start a pissing match here, but you asked why someone would not send their child to Massillon if they played football, and I think it is a fair to say that life after football exists much sooner than many want to believe and there are far better institutions around Stark County that would prepare my son for this life.

Team GPA is not really a good benchmark of academic achievement, but that is a good start. Not citing Massillon specifically, but I would be more concerned with the percentage of remediation-free ACT scores entering college.

But to answer your question why I wouldn't send my son to Massillon, I believe that there is far more to high school than football and that should not be the defining portrait of a person who is becoming a functioning member of our society. Furthermore, the environment which I would want for my son does not include a culture in which a sport is put above the academic preparation and development of a person, in the way that Massillon does their football team. Before you call me a hater or something else, I actually think Nate Moore has brought more respect to this team than previous coaches, and really don't have anything against the football program. My issue is the culture that exists around the football team which belittles the emphasis of academic and personal development, and develops unreal expectations for young men. I am not trying to start a pissing match here, but you asked why someone would not send their child to Massillon if they played football, and I think it is a fair to say that life after football exists much sooner than many want to believe and there are far better institutions around Stark County that would prepare my son for this life.
Then please by all means tell us why parents from these Stark Co institutions are sending their kids to St V and Hoban. Before you even say it don’t think for a minute that they aren’t putting football and basketball above anything else.
Also stop over at WHS and tell the educators that team gpa isn’t realy a good benchmark ?

Then please by all means tell us why parents from these Stark Co institutions are sending their kids to St V and Hoban. Before you even say it don’t think for a minute that they aren’t putting football and basketball above anything else.
Also stop over at WHS and tell the educators that team gpa isn’t realy a good benchmark ?

I don't care why others are sending their students to these schools, but you asked a question and I gave an honest opinion. If my kid is good enough to get offered a scholarship for football, he will earn that regardless of what school he attends. I understand the point of development from good coaching, and these school all have that as well. I can't speak to why parents do what they do, but I know many parents who value more than football development and choose other schools.

I would hope at WHS they are aware that the team GPA is a nice accolade to receive, but anyone in education knows that it is a false narrative. First of all it does not take the entire team's GPA into consideration, it is a sample size of I believe 30-40 kids from the team. Second, if GPA were the truest predictor of academic preparation, why are students required to take the ACT or SAT for college admission? I am not saying that they shouldn't be proud, but every school has been and will be continuing to focus on the remediation-free scores for their students as a true benchmark for academic success.

I am not saying this is the case, but here's an example of what I am saying: You can go to school A and receive a 3.75 GPA but only score an 18 on the ACT with subscores in Math and English of 16, which would require remedial classes in college. Or you could go to school B and receive a 3.5 GPA and score a 24 on the ACT with all subscores being above 18, thus requiring no remedial classes in college. Which would you prefer?

I would say that your perception that football trumps academics in Massillon is a misconception. When scales are adjusted for income Massillon measures up as one of the top schools in the county. https://www.cleveland.com/news/g66l...-for-income-with-2019-report-card-grades.html

All that being said there is plenty of room for improvement and I believe Salvino is guiding us down that path.

Last week he was either wearing a thick ankle brace or he was playing hurt which inhibited his ability to cut which would not bode well against Ballard.
Man that kid is good. Lamp also. I'm a St. Edward fan but always follow Massilon and McKinley. Massilon is dangerous. I heard of Traynums injury but was not sure. Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.