Division I State Semifinal: Mentor (13-0) vs. Pickerington Central (12-1)

Who wins?

• Mentor by 15+

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • Mentor by 8-14

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • Mentor by 1-7

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Pickerington by 1-7

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Pickerington by 8-14

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Pickerington by 15+

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel bad for the Mentor players. Do much talent and ability doesn’t matter when subpar coaching gets in the way. Over the past 20 years all of Mentor’s playoff loses can be contributed to coaching.

How were the accommodations at GlenOak?
Excellent high school stadium, good restrooms and concessions. Home grandstand seemed a bit small but adequate. We were on the visitor side and it was more than adequate. Stadium itself not as good as Upper Arlington or DeSales, but a better overall setting, esp. the parking.

You feel bad for the players??? For the players??? You mean the KIDS that got an experience of a lifetime playing alongside their best friends? The Thursday night meals prepared by their moms. The grind of a two a days. The thanksgiving practice. The kids will be fine. 98% of the kids playing HS football would kill to have those experiences.

I feel bad for the fools that live vicariously through them and then stoop to pointing fingers at easy scapegoats. Say this to Trivs face. Bet you would not dare. Punk.

I feel bad for the Mentor players. Do much talent and ability doesn’t matter when subpar coaching gets in the way. Over the past 20 years all of Mentor’s playoff loses can be contributed to coaching.
You really don't know what you're talking about. Trivisono is one of the best coaches in football. He has built a dynasty. I know they didn't win a SC, but he lost to teams that were usually just better. This team had way more DI talent than Mentor. I wish he would come back for one more year. It's a classy think he is doing leaving when he is, but man, there is so much talent left. But hey, the guy has his priorities straight. He is doing it for family. I wish him all the luck in the world. I wonder if he'd like to move to Atown and coach my Falcons.

Sorry Mentor Fans your team played really hard0. maybe too hard and got reckless. I can't believe your coach would put him in on one foot like that. The more disciplined, and physical team won, but i have to say this game was one of the highest level games i've seen in many years from any highschool team, these looked like GOOD college teams. That being said PC has been the most dominant, and consistant team in the state for the last decade and gets no respect from the northeast and southwest regions
Even if Pickerington Central wins the state championship game on Friday, St. Edward has been more dominant AND consistent over the last decade (2010-2019).

In regular season play, the ten-year records of the two teams have been a virtual toss-up – St. Edward is 83-14 and Pick Central is 83-13. Comparing the two, the better record was achieved four times by the Eagles and four times by the Tigers. Their records were identical the other two years.

However, St. Edward has had greater success in the playoffs over that time period. That claim is supported by the following stats (some of which depend on the outcome of Friday’s championship game):
  • St. Edward has won four state titles (2010, 2014, 2015, 2018), while PC has won one (2017) and might win a second (2019).
  • In Final Four games, the Eagles are 8-1 and the Tigers will be either 5-3 or 4-4.
  • Both teams made the playoffs all ten years. St. Edward’s playoff record during that span is 30-6, while Central’s will be either 24-8 or 23-9.
  • For the five years in which they reached the Final Four (2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018), St. Edward’s combined playoff record is 23-1. For their five Final Four seasons (2011, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019), Pick Central’s combined playoff record will be either 20-3 or 19-4.
  • For their five non-Final-Four seasons, the Eagles’ playoff record is 7-5, while the Tigers are 4-5.
  • St. Edward is 10-0 in first round games, while PC lost twice (2012, 2015).
The Tigers certainly have been consistently very good and worthy of respect over the last decade. But, based on their playoff success, the Eagles have been even better.

Even if Pickerington Central wins the state championship game on Friday, St. Edward has been more dominant AND consistent over the last decade (2010-2019).

In regular season play, the ten-year records of the two teams have been a virtual toss-up – St. Edward is 83-14 and Pick Central is 83-13. Comparing the two, the better record was achieved four times by the Eagles and four times by the Tigers. Their records were identical the other two years.

However, St. Edward has had greater success in the playoffs over that time period. That claim is supported by the following stats (some of which depend on the outcome of Friday’s championship game):
  • St. Edward has won four state titles (2010, 2014, 2015, 2018), while PC has won one (2017) and might win a second (2019).
  • In Final Four games, the Eagles are 8-1 and the Tigers will be either 5-3 or 4-4.
  • Both teams made the playoffs all ten years. St. Edward’s playoff record during that span is 30-6, while Central’s will be either 24-8 or 23-9.
  • For the five years in which they reached the Final Four (2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018), St. Edward’s combined playoff record is 23-1. For their five Final Four seasons (2011, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019), Pick Central’s combined playoff record will be either 20-3 or 19-4.
  • For their five non-Final-Four seasons, the Eagles’ playoff record is 7-5, while the Tigers are 4-5.
  • St. Edward is 10-0 in first round games, while PC lost twice (2012, 2015).
The Tigers certainly have been consistently very good and worthy of respect over the last decade. But, based on their playoff success, the Eagles have been even better.
The guy was really pumped up after a big win. He was caught up. You’ve made your point (s) already.

Oh the big city Catholic school that draws kids from a huge area is better and a bigger dynasty than the 1600 student Public school . Wow how impressive. that's what it all about isn't it? program gets a title and wins many big games but it's always important to point out that someone else has bene a bigger deal than they are. yawn

Oh the big city Catholic school that draws kids from a huge area is better and a bigger dynasty than the 1600 student Public school . Wow how impressive. that's what it all about isn't it? program gets a title and wins many big games but it's always important to point out that someone else has bene a bigger deal than they are. yawn
This

Mentor needed Triv to be gone for them to win a state title. It's obvious he was never going to get it done. Wouldn't shock me if they win a title next year with Kipp still there and likely hungry to end his high school career on top. Mentor will probably give Triv a ring if that happens, no problem, but he can't be the one coaching the team in big games. He'll win some of them, but just no way this guy can win three big games in a row from the regional finals to the state final. And for all this talk in here and from Triv in the past how hard it is for the publics to compete with the privates, at least four times that I can remember, it has been a public school that has eliminated Mentor during his reign. Pickerington Central twice, Hudson and Hilliard Davidson. There may have been one or two other times that a public school eliminated Mentor in the playoffs, not sure, so the Mentor/Triv apologists can go check on that if they want. Oh, make that five. Almost forgot about Toledo Whitmer destroying Mentor in the Trubisky era because of just one of the many Triv below average defenses.

I love the excuses people make for the coaching at Mentor. Coaches dream of being in the position to coach so much talent and to never bring a state title to the school is a travesty.

As Mike Tyson once said everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. All this talk about coaching is pointless. Mentors coach is very good. Fact is Pickerington Central, and many of the teams in central Ohio are just flat out tougher, better, and have more athletes. Cincy is right behind but Central Ohio is where the best football in Ohio is at now. NEO is a step behind. Pay attention to the regions where D1 kids are coming from and teams. Anyone from central Ohio knew what was in store for Mentor. PC was bringing a street fight to Mentor that they hadn't seen before. Athletes across the board, hard hitting, trash talking, blitzes from all over the field, and an offense that will maul you etc. Mentor would have had to play flawlessly to win that game and still would have felt like they lost. I'm a Pickerington North Fan, PC's rival school, so this is an unbiased post. Elder better be ready. PC is built for this time of year and weather.

As Mike Tyson once said everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. All this talk about coaching is pointless. Mentors coach is very good. Fact is Pickerington Central, and many of the teams in central Ohio are just flat out tougher, better, and have more athletes. Cincy is right behind but Central Ohio is where the best football in Ohio is at now. NEO is a step behind. Pay attention to the regions where D1 kids are coming from and teams. Anyone from central Ohio knew what was in store for Mentor. PC was bringing a street fight to Mentor that they hadn't seen before. Athletes across the board, hard hitting, trash talking, blitzes from all over the field, and an offense that will maul you etc. Mentor would have had to play flawlessly to win that game and still would have felt like they lost. I'm a Pickerington North Fan, PC's rival school, so this is an unbiased post. Elder better be ready. PC is built for this time of year and weather.

Couldn't disagree more but you are entitled to your opinion. No doubt that PC had more speed and talent. I thought their 2017 team was better though. Crenshaw seemed faster then, maybe that was due to a bigger/better line. Mentor fought hard and lost by a TD that was set up by what some believe to be a questionable interception. It happens. In the first half, I agree that Mentor's defense got punched in the mouth. But in the second half, PC only scored once and it was on a short field. PC's defense gave up over 400 yards to Mentor. The Cardinals certainly punched back. Unfortunately for Mentor, the offense experienced some injuries during the game to their two most important players. Also, they didn't finish drives well enough - having to settle for FG tries. The Tigers are good, no doubt. But Mentor was right there and very well could've forced OT if not for the injury to Kipp. Punched in the mouth? Nah. That narrative sounds like the second half of the 2017 game. That wasn't the case this past Friday.

It is my opinion that Mentor already beat the best team in Ohio - St Eds. The Eagles would've had a better showing against PC than Mentor did. I think they would be state champs in four days if not for Mentor. I wouldn't be so quick to judge NEO football. Line up our top ten vs Central Ohio top ten. I like our chances. Mentor, Eds, Hoban, Massillon, Ignatius, Avon, etc.

If Eds was the best you wouldn't have beat them. That's why the games are played. Not trying to argue I don't have a dog in the fight. Central did what they do. Mentor played well and did fight back but at that point PC does what they always do. Start grinding on offense 3 yards and a cloud of dust taking a teams will away controlling the clock and game while dialing up the heat on defense.

Mentor needed Triv to be gone for them to win a state title. It's obvious he was never going to get it done. Wouldn't shock me if they win a title next year with Kipp still there and likely hungry to end his high school career on top. Mentor will probably give Triv a ring if that happens, no problem, but he can't be the one coaching the team in big games. He'll win some of them, but just no way this guy can win three big games in a row from the regional finals to the state final. And for all this talk in here and from Triv in the past how hard it is for the publics to compete with the privates, at least four times that I can remember, it has been a public school that has eliminated Mentor during his reign. Pickerington Central twice, Hudson and Hilliard Davidson. There may have been one or two other times that a public school eliminated Mentor in the playoffs, not sure, so the Mentor/Triv apologists can go check on that if they want. Oh, make that five. Almost forgot about Toledo Whitmer destroying Mentor in the Trubisky era because of just one of the many Triv below average defenses.
Warren Harding beat Triv, in 2002 playoffs

Last edited:
PC has as many football state titles as Fairfield and Lima Senior, yet some of their fans talk like they're a dynasty.

If Eds was the best you wouldn't have beat them. That's why the games are played. Not trying to argue I don't have a dog in the fight. Central did what they do. Mentor played well and did fight back but at that point PC does what they always do. Start grinding on offense 3 yards and a cloud of dust taking a teams will away controlling the clock and game while dialing up the heat on defense.

Maybe you are of the opinion that the best team always wins...always. I'm not. My opinion is that if Mentor played PC ten times, Mentor would win six. If Mentor played Eds ten times, I think Mentor wins only three.

Take a look around high school, college, and the NFL. The better football team doesn't always win. But they are usually the better team on that day. PC was the better team on Friday, but only slightly. Not by the margin that some have suggested.

If Mentor played PC's schedule and were in their region they may have had a hard time making the playoffs.

Clearly you are a troll just trying to get a response. Not gonna do it...

It was an evenly played game by two of the top teams in Ohio. Unfortunately for Mentor, Triv couldn't get a win in his last game. There are lots of what ifs in this game. Can't do anything about it now. Kipp and company will have no choice but to get back to the drawing board in the offseason and see what kind of lessons they can learn as they move forward toward 2020.

no troll , prep sports fan , just an honest assessment. look at the schedule PC played. 3 non-conference out of state powerhouses and their (4th game) 1 loss was to a Groveport team that I think would give Mentor trouble as they are a mirror style of PC. Mentor could easily be 0-4 against PCs first 4 games. Mentor has an enrollment of 2600 whereas PC has 1600. Numbers clearly in Mentors favor and thus a solid program every year but not the same caliber of athlete or style of play. Honestly ask yourself, position by position, if you were starting a football team and you could pick any starter from either team, how many of those would be from PC vs Mentor??? Probably not many. This isn't a slight on Mentor at all, quite the opposite. I think the coach did a great job of putting together a strong TEAM. TEAM meaning greater than the sum of its parts. I read all the comments bashing the coach I think it is a bunch of unrealistic homers that really aren't looking at it black and white.

Last edited:
Fine, you're not a troll. But your opinion is going to be a lonely island. You honestly think Mentor, a team that outgained PC by 100 yards and was a QB injury away from forcing OT, is that much worse than the Tigers? IMO, Mentor would've steamrolled that schedule. Those out of state teams travelling all the way to Ohio to play Mentor would've gotten it handed to them. The OCC schedule would've suffered the same fate as Euclid, Solon, Medina, and Cleveland Heights (teams higher ranked than all of the Ohio teams on PC's schedule according to Pasteur). 40-50 point shellackings for most of them. Maybe a modest 20-30 point win against teams like Pickerington North, Hilliard Davidson, and Groveport.

The team from Florida didn't even crack the top 20 on MaxPreps rankings of the Orlando-area, let alone the state. The teams from Indiana and Illinois barely cracked the top 40 in their state rankings. Ohio is much stronger than Indiana/Illinois. None of those out of state teams have an impressive record or resume.

Go sell crazy somewhere else. We're all stocked up here...

Gotta agree with Cardz fan here for the most part . I think the according to Pasteur argument regarding Cleveland Heights Medina Solon et all is specious seeing as he made Mentor a 19 point favorite to name just one piece of evidence all due respect to the teams up there. I think if you watched the game closely on Friday you came away with the feeling that it was a pretty even overall. Different styles but overall pretty evenly matched. I have said I make Mentor the favorite by 7- 8 points based on their offensive efficiency which is why thought they would win the game by 7-10 .

Mentor has a nice numbers advantage on PC , BUT PC has a demographic /physical talent and overall speed advantage most years . Acknowledging the Hobans , Iggy and Ed's dynamic , I do really believe that in 2019 with the population shift going towards Columbus that if you took the top 10 Central Ohio Publics and the top ten NEO Publics it would be very competitive and fairly equal at this point. Central Ohio public D-1 schools tend to be a little smaller in numbers than those in NEO and others areas of the state as they split the school smore readily and opt for two HS's instead of one big one or even three or in Olentangy's case four instead of one or two less . This is a real advantage in terms of the strength of the TOP teams in other states being better than Ohio's,. . You can't reasonably make the argument that schools that average say 1700-1800 at the top level of Ohio football makes no difference when evaluating teams from say Cali or Texas whose top division schools dwarf those numbers .

Mentor has really nice numbers and a program that gets a nice percentage of the good athletes in the hallways out for football . Depth is a real thing and I have seen up close really good programs have some issues with declining numbers of players . Specialization is one issue , along with the brain injury issue and in some cases kids just not wanting to put in the time in a difficult sport . Some hoops players never think to come out anymore thinking they need to work on their games 24-7 and play ion a fall league so they don't fall behind . Some of these kids have no shot at D-1 hoops which is OK and no shame but in some cases D-1 or 1-AA football can be a realistic goal for very good athletes , but they like playing hoops more and it's not the same grind physically . PC has a nice tradition of getting the good athletes out as well even some hoop players over the years.

Week in and week out Mentor played at the highest level of al the public schools , Ed's just may have well been the best overall team , PC has raised their game the last few weeks as they are known to do . Both schools will prosper going forward as I know PC has a few loaded classes and Mentor I hear has a nice treasure chest of talent themselves as they transition with a new HC .

Maybe you are of the opinion that the best team always wins...always. I'm not. My opinion is that if Mentor played PC ten times, Mentor would win six. If Mentor played Eds ten times, I think Mentor wins only three.

Take a look around high school, college, and the NFL. The better football team doesn't always win. But they are usually the better team on that day. PC was the better team on Friday, but only slightly. Not by the margin that some have suggested.

The most recent Mentor/Pickerington Central game was about as close as it could get with both teams making big plays and stops at different times throughout, and Mentor would consistently be 9-1 or 10-0 playing the schedule Pickerington Central played this season. No doubt, but this is a typical Mentor/Triv apologist's response about this idea of 'If we played this team seven times, we'd win at least four of them.' I've heard it in person more than once and now in here. It's similar to the whining about private school advantages that Triv once engaged in but finally stopped talking about once he realized that playing those elite private schools like St. Edward and St. Ignatius was a major factor in what made Mentor highly competitive and tough to beat when it came down to the close games in mid to late November. Unfortunately for Mentor during Triv's reign, high school football isn't played like the MLB, NBA or NHL playoffs. It's a gauntlet of five games against the best teams, loser goes home, and in several cases in the past 20 years, the first two rounds were cakewalks for Mentor. It can't be just bad luck that since 2002 when Mentor emerged as a serious D1 power that he could not win three games in a row from the regional final onward. This wide variety of losing includes state title game losses, regional final losses, state semifinal losses, games lost by three points or less, at least one game lost in overtime, games lost by 20 or more points and games lost to public and private schools from around the state. But if only there had been a seven game series in each round, then just maybe he could've brought one title home. If that wouldn't have worked, then the apologists would say Mentor would surely have won one if OHSAA used an 11 game series in the playoffs.

How were the accommodations at GlenOak?
Very nice facility. The field, stands and lighting were very good. The only gripe I have is your pressbox situation. You have two pressboxes yet you put the PC coaches in the same room as the radio announcers ............... with no walls. Yet Mentor gets there own box and so does there camera crew. PC's camera guy had to stand outside the pressbox and film the game. That was all on the visitor side. On the home side you had the guys that run the scoreboard and two different rooms for the media. Hello ! Why do they need 2 rooms. Put them all in the same room on the visitor side and let the PC coaches have there own room. It was a cluster during the game. Radio guys complained about everything yet PC coaches had to work though there crybaby antics. IF you want to host playoff games going forward that needs to be addressed. But as far as the field and overall atmosphere it was a very nice venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.