Division I - Region 1 Championship: Mentor (12-0) vs. St. Edward (11-1)

Who wins?

• Mentor by 15+

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Mentor by 8-14

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Mentor by 1-7

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • St. Edward by 8-14

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • St. Edward by 15+

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
Well, that game was a classic!

It looked bad for the Cards from the getgo...Early on, the game looked as if it was headed to be a beatdown...Although Mentor being on the ropes for most of the game, Eds, failed to deliver the "knockout punch" and left the door open just a crack and the Cards came barreling through.

I echo many of the thoughts posted here, but, will add a few additional observations...

Eds fumbling on Mentor's 1 yard line was "big"...Mentor then goes on a 99 yard drive...If Eds scores and this game is all but over...Door left open for Mentor.

Eds going for it on 4th down at midfield early in the second half and fails to convert is yet another example of leaving the door open for Mentor. As I watch college and pro games, hardly a weekend goes by that I don't witness some sort of monumental coaching call blunder made by some coach somewhere...This was one made by Eds...Self inflicted...Just senseless.

For most of the game Eds running attack was all but lethal. It didn't seem to matter the down and distance as Eds picked up huge chunks of yards on the ground...And the Eagles mixed in a nice passing attack as well. The Cards on defense just couldn't seem to get a stop and get off the field. When it looked like Eds was going to win handily, the only blemish I saw in their performance was the number of penalties committed by its offense...Huge number...Rivals the Browns! But, at the time it didn't seem to matter as they were able to convert and get first downs regardless of the penalties.

Good fan following for both teams...Nice crowd for a very spirited game. Game was well attended...Sitting on the Mentor side of the stands it was interesting to note that even though the game was going south for the Cardinals initially nobody came unglued...Sure, fans voiced their displeasure in the way their team had fallen behind and how they were getting pushed around and on the short end of the score...But, I didn't hear any bad language...Nor were players being called out. This fan base, from what I witnessed, seemed to be pretty used to being in tight games against exceptional opponents...Nobody left at halftime, they stayed and cheered on...And, as a result, they were treated to yet another remarkable finish!

Not that I have much sympathy for the assembled squads, but still, to lose a game like that just "sucks"...The bigger the game, the more it "sucks". Kids that participated in it will be haunted forever by the outcome...Each will micro analyze their play...Sometimes, I think its better to lose by a lopsided score...At least then you know you were defeated by a superior team and no much would have been different regardless what you would have done.

A remarkable win by the Cardinals...Good luck the rest of the way...I hope you win a long sought after state title.

Last edited:
Tough to say whether this will be a high or low scoring game. I don't think the week one match-up is any indicator of how this one will go. I felt both teams looked pretty sloppy at times back in August (to be expected week one). You could tell both teams had potential, but they were no where near being a finished product. What impressed me most with Mentor in the first meeting was the play of a pretty green offensive line. The D-line was supposed to be advantage Ed's, but those guys did a heck of a job opening up holes for Kipp and Trobel. Granted the Eagles went with a bit of a different look up front that was not to their benefit, I still came away impressed with the Mentor o-line.

I can see this game starting slow with both teams looking to feel each other out and see who can establish their run game. Second half could see one or both teams really try and open it up. You may be right about a turnover turning the tide for either team.

Thank God I decided to go to the Eds vs. Mentor game. It was a classic HS football game. You were spot on about the game kind of starting slow and then the second half opening things up. I'm glad my thinking it would be more of a defensive game was wrong. That second half was electric and amazing. Wow!

And that my fine feathered friends is why I drive from Erie every week. What a game. Absolutely unbelievable! 2 stud teams, good crowd, some great defense, some big plays on offense, some controversy along the way, some huge coaching decisions that had to be made that are being questioned or being praised for, had everyone there on the edge of our seats most of the second half, some extra football (overtime). It really was an amazing performance by 15-18 year old young men that truly played for their brothers, coaches, and communities and left every ounce of their being out on that field. We all should just sit back and be humbled, thankful, and appreciative for having the opportunity to witness 2 great programs put on a display like that. I know I am. Also good luck to Mentor and coach Triv. Thank you Ohio for giving me 15 weeks of some of the best entertainment that money can buy.

Last edited:
It really looked like the officials blew that 4th down call. I don't see how the Mentor QB got in. It really looked like the official assumed the guy was going in and called it too early. I watched it 5x and I don't see when the ball ever would have broken.

#2 for Eds won't get the credit for the stop, but that was an amazing defensive play. Too bad.
I have a better angle than tv. How do I post video????? Looks like he scored. Pretty clear.

Best angle would obviously be right down the line from the Ed's side of the field. I haven't seen anyone present that angle, and in the end, what's it matter? People need to stop with the Ed's got screwed stuff. Was the game without controversy? Absolutely not. But neither Mentor nor the refs fumbled on the one yard line, went for it on 4th down at the 50 up two scores, or dropped a game-icing first down. Can't miss a single opportunity in a game like this. Feel bad for the kids involved, but I bet they get over it quicker than the adults.

I have yet to see one single view that clearly (not with bias) shows the location of the ball before the runner is down. Nobody can tell whether or not any part of the ball pierced the front plane of the goal line or the ball was inches short.

This video is no different.

I have yet to see one single view that clearly (not with bias) shows the location of the ball before the runner is down. Nobody can tell whether or not any part of the ball pierced the front plane of the goal line or the ball was inches short.

This video is no different.
Right. So the official made the right call for a HS game. If he calls it no TD, it’s the same argument the other way. I have access to the players and #6 who had a better view than anyone said the whole ball was on the line. So for what it’s worth.

I'll start by saying Congrats to Mentor, they definitely deserve the win and I'm cheering for them to win the title for coach Trivisonno. I do want to ask if anyone had a good look at the Formani fumble though. I could have sworn one of the officials signaled touchdown. I find it hard to believe the nose of the ball didn't break the plane before the fumble.

I'll start by saying Congrats to Mentor, they definitely deserve the win and I'm cheering for them to win the title for coach Trivisonno. I do want to ask if anyone had a good look at the Formani fumble though. I could have sworn one of the officials signaled touchdown. I find it hard to believe the nose of the ball didn't break the plane before the fumble.
IMG_1432.png

Already on the ground there

This work? Looks clearly in here. WHAT. A. GAME. Love HS ball!
Thanks for posting.
From this video, not sure how the people saying he didn’t get it can say for certain. I realize this isn’t “conclusive”. But certainly appears he got in from this angle. Call on the field stands IMO using this angle unless someone has another better angle on video, not with biased eyes.
Congrats to Mentor!
But congrats to both teams for playing historically great game.

Not to be ignorant, but, the penalty against Eds on the play prior to Mentor's TD in OT...What was the call? I thought the penalty call was pass interference. Was it something else?

Not to be ignorant, but, the penalty against Eds on the play prior to Mentor's TD in OT...What was the call? I thought the penalty call was pass interference. Was it something else?
PI in high school isn't an automatic first down. .so it was half the distance and repeat down

My thoughts in the aftermath of that crazy region final

1. Lots of doubt and questions surround some of the biggest moments of the game. I am fully aware that Mentor got the benefit of these close calls. I will take it.

2. From start to finish, anybody watching the game would recognize that St Eds was the better team. More talent. More size. Much better defense. When you factor in all aspects of the game (offense, defense, special teams) - they have better coaching. The better team doesn't always win. If these teams play 10 times, Mentor probably wins 3. Mentor gets the hype, but St Eds was the best team in Ohio in my eyes.

3. O'Malley played much better than Week 1. He wasn't Dzuro game-changer at running the ball, but O'Malley made big plays with his legs. Was incredibly efficient for most of the game. Great receiving core to throw to. Formani was a workhorse behind that big and talented line. If Kipp wasn't the player of the game, it was Formani.

4. Defensively, I would be surprised if there is a better group in Ohio than the Eagles. They aren't perfect, but that front seven is ferocious. They bottled up Trobel all night, which isn't easy to do. They got some pressure on Kipp consistently. Pietrowski is a man playing among boys. Thankfully, he didn't get to Kipp too much. The secondary, the biggest flaw on this otherwise near perfect Eagles team, was exposed by Floriea.

5. I consistently stated that Kipp had to be the best player on the field in order for Mentor to win. I said he had to throw for at least 200-250 yards. He may or may have been the best player from start to finish, but he was unquestionably the most important player on the field in the second half. He threw for over 200 yards on a night where it was absolutely needed. The Eagles neutralized Trobel, who got the most out of the small holes he saw all night.

6. I agree that the fumble at the 1 saved the game. But the offensive drive that followed was almost as unexpected as Eds not getting in the endzone. Mentor had trouble moving the ball all half. Who would have thought that they would get a touchdown drive starting at the 1? That was a big one. One of several big plays that Floriea made was on that long touchdown reception.

7. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that a trick play would make a difference. I expected Mentor to try one. Thankfully, it worked.

8. I never thought Mentor had a shot once the score was 14-0. I REALLY knew they didn't have a shot with Eds inside the 5 up 14-0. Somehow, someway they clawed their way back. Considering the circumstances, I was hoping they would go for two at the end of the 4th quarter. Unfortunately, there was a little too much time. Once Mentor won the overtime coin toss, I had a great feeling the Cardinals were going to score a TD, go for two, and pull off the shocker.

9. On Mentor's three biggest wins this season (Eds twice and St Ignatius), they completely outplayed the Saints in the 4th quarter. Mentor was down by 8-14 points to start the 4th quarter in all three games. Outscored these two 44-0 in the final frame if my math is right. Wow.

10. Triv evens his record to 4-4 in the playoffs against the Eagles on top of his 4-1 record against Chico. Triv has an 8-5 record in the playoffs against Eds/Ignatius. Most of those 8 wins were against state-championship caliber teams. During the regular season, Triv is 10-9 against the Saints in the for an overall record of 18-14. Triv's willingness to schedule and preparing his teams to play with and beat these two power programs is the on field legacy he will be remembered for most...unless a state title becomes a reality.

Yet the refs clearly could tell. SMH

PI in high school isn't an automatic first down. .so it was half the distance and repeat down

The referee did signal pass interference. I was questioning whether that comes with an automatic first down as well. So I googled it. It does not. They changed the rule in 2013. So last nights call was pass interference, half the distance to the goal, replay the down.

Last edited:

1. Lots of doubt and questions surround some of the biggest moments of the game. I am fully aware that Mentor got the benefit of these close calls. I will take it.

2. From start to finish, anybody watching the game would recognize that St Eds was the better team. More talent. More size. Much better defense. When you factor in all aspects of the game (offense, defense, special teams) - they have better coaching. The better team doesn't always win. If these teams play 10 times, Mentor probably wins 3. Mentor gets the hype, but St Eds was the best team in Ohio in my eyes.

3. O'Malley played much better than Week 1. He wasn't Dzuro game-changer at running the ball, but O'Malley made big plays with his legs. Was incredibly efficient for most of the game. Great receiving core to throw to. Formani was a workhorse behind that big and talented line. If Kipp wasn't the player of the game, it was Formani.

4. Defensively, I would be surprised if there is a better group in Ohio than the Eagles. They aren't perfect, but that front seven is ferocious. They bottled up Trobel all night, which isn't easy to do. They got some pressure on Kipp consistently. Pietrowski is a man playing among boys. Thankfully, he didn't get to Kipp too much. The secondary, the biggest flaw on this otherwise near perfect Eagles team, was exposed by Floriea.

5. I consistently stated that Kipp had to be the best player on the field in order for Mentor to win. I said he had to throw for at least 200-250 yards. He may or may have been the best player from start to finish, but he was unquestionably the most important player on the field in the second half. He threw for over 200 yards on a night where it was absolutely needed. The Eagles neutralized Trobel, who got the most out of the small holes he saw all night.

6. I agree that the fumble at the 1 saved the game. But the offensive drive that followed was almost as unexpected as Eds not getting in the endzone. Mentor had trouble moving the ball all half. Who would have thought that they would get a touchdown drive starting at the 1? That was a big one. One of several big plays that Floriea made was on that long touchdown reception.

7. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that a trick play would make a difference. I expected Mentor to try one. Thankfully, it worked.

8. I never thought Mentor had a shot once the score was 14-0. I REALLY knew they didn't have a shot with Eds inside the 5 up 14-0. Somehow, someway they clawed their way back. Considering the circumstances, I was hoping they would go for two at the end of the 4th quarter. Unfortunately, there was a little too much time. Once Mentor won the overtime coin toss, I had a great feeling the Cardinals were going to score a TD, go for two, and pull off the shocker.

9. On Mentor's three biggest wins this season (Eds twice and St Ignatius), they completely outplayed the Saints in the 4th quarter. Mentor was down by 8-14 points to start the 4th quarter in all three games. Outscored these two 44-0 in the final frame if my math is right. Wow.

10. Triv evens his record to 4-4 in the playoffs against the Eagles on top of his 4-1 record against Chico. Triv has an 8-5 record in the playoffs against Eds/Ignatius. Most of those 8 wins were against state-championship caliber teams. During the regular season, Triv is 10-9 against the Saints in the for an overall record of 18-14. Triv's willingness to schedule and preparing his teams to play with and beat these two power programs is the on field legacy he will be remembered for most...unless a state title becomes a reality.
Largely agree, although I think you’re selling your boys a bit short. And if I’m naming an MVP for that game, Floriea is my guy hands down. They don’t win without his heroics.

Maybe, but all I know, in the real world they played twice...and Mentor won BOTH.

I am surprised that whether he got in or not is still being discussed. If you see it from the side or in a close-up, he clearly is in. The kid from Ed's hit him so hard and fast from the side that he knocked him out of the end zone. The hit the kid made was amazing, but it was late.

Largely agree, although I think you’re selling your boys a bit short. And if I’m naming an MVP for that game, Floriea is my guy hands down. They don’t win without his heroics.

I do agree that Ed’s was the bigger, stronger team.Across the board they have more talent. Somehow, someway, this Mentor team got it done. I don’t agree that Trobel was bottled up all night. He had some big runs. He also had some 3-6 yard runs. Trobel only carried the ball 7 times for around 80 yards. Thats 11 YPC. The Oline also graded out Well. Only had 3 possessions in the first half. This Mentor Oline has played very well considering there isn’t a D1 guy on it. Especially against the defense.

The paper said Trobel had 13 carries for 80 yards. Still a good yard per carry against a team like Eds. But compared to Week 1, that was bottled up. Eds RB Formani got triple the carries Trobel got. Therefore, less touches means less chances to impact the game. Mentor has to avoid using Trobel like usual. That is why I say he was bottled up. But Trobel made the most of every carry.

Great post. Sums it up well

Hopefully Triv can win a title to shut up the trolls and detractors but man the guy has already done a ton of things in terms of accomplishments. He's in his 6th final 4 in the last 14 seasons. Unbelievable for a public. And always grateful for a winning record vs the Cleveland saints