Division I - Region 1 Championship: Mentor (12-0) vs. St. Edward (11-1)

Who wins?

• Mentor by 15+

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Mentor by 8-14

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Mentor by 1-7

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • St. Edward by 8-14

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • St. Edward by 15+

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters

Man its tough to beat a good team twice....but if anyone could Id bet on Triv....I ll go back and forth on this past kickoff.
Best of luck to both.

It is???

Just saying... one is a private power with multiple titles. Yawn. The other is a public power with none, w/ a Hall of Fame coach who is retiring, who's battled elite privates tooth and nail his whole career. Don't take offense jmo.

GO MENTOR!!!
I respect your opinion on private school titles. However, I assure you they don't mean any less to the kids that play on those teams and to most of the fans.

I do understand that a title would mean a ton to Mentor. Coach Triv has won a lot vs Coach Kyle.

I am pulling for both Mentor and Massillon.

I agree CC. And you are a class act. Kids are kids, parents are parents, and everyone works hard to get this far. St. Ed, St. Ignatius, St. X, Elder Moe Hoban LaSalle are all awesome, no doubt. I'm just admittedly partial to public schools in general, because it is so much harder (or rarer if you prefer) for them to win one. At least in D-123.

Should be a great one, winner will be in Canton. Taking Mentor...since watching the game week 2 I have firmly believed this group is sending Triv out 15-0 and with a title, and deservedly so.

This is the rematch I have been anticipating since Mentor beat the Saints to start the season. I knew after watching the first two games that St Eds was the team to beat if Mentor wanted to win Region 1.

Since 2011, when the Big Three of Region 1 have a playoff rematch - the loser of the first game has a 6-1 record. If you include the end of the glory days of Glenville in Region 1 and go back to 2008, that record is 8-1 as the Tarblooders/Wildcats played four times in 2008/2009. The only exception was in 2016 when St Ignatius beat the Eagles twice. Would Mentor have been in better position this week if the defense gave up a late touchdown to the Eagles in Week 1 and lost the game? No, I don't think so. But it is a fascinating statistic.

My biggest concern as a Mentor fan is not the 1-8 record by Region 1 powers in a playoff rematch, it is the receiving duo of Foster/Wainwright. Foster, a MSU recruit, had one or two targets in Week 1. Wainwright was out completely. Mentor's secondary hasn't been tested all season long. We know from history that the Mentor secondary has traditionally been the most glaring weak spot in Triv's time. Ironically, Triv was a defensive back in high school/college. Mentor's secondary has some talent. But are they up to the task of defending this offense?

Mentor will likely be forced to keep just six in the box out of fear of getting beat over the top or down the sidelines. That means Formani will run like wild like he did in the first game. Mentor's defense, as productive as any they have had since 2003, still has some warts that the Eagles can expose. McKinley was able to establish their running game pretty well yesterday. And that was with only a small threat in a passing game. Mentor has to try and contain a very dangerous and balanced offense for the first time all year.

But what is up with the Eagles? 7 measly points against Ignatius? A head-scratching 24 points allowed in the first half against Medina? A narrow one score lead against Euclid at halftime?

Good comments cardzfan. It will be a great game and it's going to be very interesting to watch this game develop. Both offenses are balance and have lot's of athletes...another 29 to 28 type game of a 63 to 56 type game, I'm not sure.

It is a shame that this game is on the exact same time as the Hoban/Massillon game. Should have been different days. D1, and D2 should have been scheduled on separate nights to begin with

And Avon vs. Avon Lake. It would be awesome to go Friday to Ed's vs. Mentor, Saturday at 1:00 to Hoban vs.Massillon, then Saturday at 7:00 to Avon vs. Avon Lake.

Jealous that these two again are playing in the playoffs. Should be a great game. Both are state title worthy.

But what is up with the Eagles? 7 measly points against Ignatius? A head-scratching 24 points allowed in the first half against Medina? A narrow one score lead against Euclid at halftime?
All valid points. It depends on which version of this St Ed team shows up and (even if it's the best version) it's still going to be a battle.

They did the math. More fans come out on Friday night. Add the drop on games played Saturday is bigger for larger division schools.

Good comments cardzfan. It will be a great game and it's going to be very interesting to watch this game develop. Both offenses are balance and have lot's of athletes...another 29 to 28 type game of a 63 to 56 type game, I'm not sure.

This team doesn’t have the offensive firepower to win a shootout against an elite team. Kipp is a great athlete and a nice QB. Floriea is about as good of any slot receiver Mentor has had. But the overall passing game is nowhere near as efficient and dangerous as they were 2011-2013. Not as good as the Tanski years. Probably not even as good as 2017. The defense has to play well in order to win any game here on out. The running game needs 200-250 yards...a tall task against the Eagles.

I do have to give Kipp praise for taking care of the football. Only two interceptions all season. Four fumbles though. Two last night and two in Week 1. None in between that I can recall. Both teams had turnovers in Week 1. It is imperative that Mentor wins the turnover battle against Eds.

This team doesn’t have the offensive firepower to win a shootout against an elite team. Kipp is a great athlete and a nice QB. Floriea is about as good of any slot receiver Mentor has had. But the overall passing game is nowhere near as efficient and dangerous as they were 2011-2013. Not as good as the Tanski years. Probably not even as good as 2017. The defense has to play well in order to win any game here on out. The running game needs 200-250 yards...a tall task against the Eagles.

Thank You for the bulletin board material.?

It may sound corny, but this game will be one by the old saying "defense wins championships". The team that controls the line of scrimmage and plays better defense will win this game. Good luck to both teams. I'm hoping for an electric packed house atmosphere and 3 OT's.

Last edited:
They did the math. More fans come out on Friday night. Add the drop on games played Saturday is bigger for larger division schools.
What does the math tell them about $9 admission charge? Do students gets discounts? D-2 on Friday and D-1 on Sat. is my tradition. I love OSU football but never care about most of their blowouts. HS playoffs are like weeks of football xmas.Unless you have kids on the team, go to OSU currently, or just don't care about HS ball ,you are gonna watch college football.Playing Friday doesn't matter because you are not coming even with free food and admission. Very ,very,very few people that enjoy HS football would miss a Sat night game because OSU was playing.You would have to be a serious couch potato to watch most OSU games. Was todays Rutgers game a big deal? I want to see Hoban vs. Mass on Fri./ Mentor Ed's on Sat. DVR the Buckeyes and Penn State. The two football demographics don't overlap in my opinion. College junkies don't pay that much attention to HS ball if at all. Fair weather fans their called. HS fanatics like my self love a good college game but memories are made at a game. Not sitting in front of the tube watching many meaningless NCAA games thanks to the 4 team playoffs we get now.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised given the decision making of the OHSAA that the Cards and Eagles play in Mansfield Arlin stadium instead of Euclid.:unsure: Anyone know where this will be played on a serious note?

I would not be surprised given the decision making of the OHSAA that the Cards and Eagles play in Mansfield Arlin stadium instead of Euclid.:unsure: Anyone know where this will be played on a serious note?
My guess is that the game will be played at Byers as in previous years. I think that the Eagles will prevail, the first time they met O Malley ---Eds qb ---had not started any varsity game and he has come a long way.
Go Eagles