Division 5 in 2023???

XandOs

Who will be the favorites in each region? What teams returns the most talent. Who’s your odds on favorite to win Division 5 in 2023.

Region 17- South Range, Perry, Garaway

Region 18- Coldwater, Archbold, Liberty Center

Region 19- Ironton, Harvest Prep, Wheelersburg

Region 20- ValleyView, MiltonUnion

Not much of anything. Ironton never gonna win with their poor coaching and lack of a solid schedule to prepare them for the elite teams in D5.
Ironton will be just fine. I don’t see them taking a step back. Ironton will also become independent after this season. Starting in 2024 they will schedule more games outside of SEO.

South Range will be very good again. Not at the same level as last year but see them 9-1 or 8-2.
If they weren't going to be good they wouldn't have picked up a federal league team.

Region 20 is up in the air. Milton Union loses a lot. Valley View is probably the favorite right now, but R20 has fluctuated a lot the past few years. it’s entirely possible that Taft or Springfield Shawnee drop back down, which would change the picture.

@Bless Em All usually has some great insight on current happenings up in West Milton. haven’t seen him awhile on here, but if he makes an appearance then he can add some great insight.

Ironton will be solid . Wheelersburg well coached and always tough . Harvest Prep May be the Favorite right now .

Cardinal Mooney will be vastly improved. Since Fecko was fired they have been rebuilding and things will finally gel for them. Look out.

I’m not sure if Mooney will be quite there this year, but within the next few years I think they start to dominate D5. Nobody in D5 can assemble the talent that is around the cardinals backyard in a short time frame. Just a matter if Mooney can get these kids over other schools. I’m hoping they do and Mooney will put themselves back on the map.

I’m not sure if Mooney will be quite there this year, but within the next few years I think they start to dominate D5. Nobody in D5 can assemble the talent that is around the cardinals backyard in a short time frame. Just a matter if Mooney can get these kids over other schools. I’m hoping they do and Mooney will put themselves back on the map.
"Mooney's backyard" is light pickens these days. The southside neighborhoods aren't what they were in the glory days. Assembling talent amidst disserted and dilapidated housing makes it doubly tough. Kids just aren't there. But like Ursuline, Mooney can draw from anywhere in the valley. Stopping the bleeding to Wick Avenue will be key. Safety remains a top concern for parents. Southside shootings don't help. Leadership at Ursuline has been static while CM's has been like a revolving door. There's been a sense that the tail (football) has wagged the dog (academics) at Mooney. "Football factory?" I don't know how accurate that has been in more recent years but perception is everything. But even Ursuline fans like me can't imagine a future without our "archrival." I hope they make it.

Last edited:
"Mooney's backyard" is light pickens these days. The southside neighborhoods aren't what they were in the glory days. Assembling talent amidst disserted and dilapidated housing makes it doubly tough. Kids just aren't there. But like Ursuline, Mooney can draw from anywhere in the valley. Stopping the bleeding to Wick Avenue will be key. Safety remains a top concern for parents. Southside shootings don't help. Leadership at Ursuline has been static while CM's has been like a revolving door. There's been a sense that the tail (football) has wagged the dog (academics) at Mooney. "Football factory?" I don't know how accurate that has been in more recent years but perception is everything. But even Ursuline fans like me can't imagine a future without our "archrival." I hope they make it.
By back yard, I meant a little further stretch than south side naturally. Get a couple kids from Chaney, a talented kid or two that might not start at Fitch but will be still be a big upgrade at a couple positions. Maybe an Ursuline defector and a Struthers or Boardman stud who may want to play postseason ball. Not that hard if you put your nose to the grindstone to get results.

Mooney gets second pick out of the Catholics these days that’s reality, Fitch gets whatever they want too before Mooney, Mooney will depend on a lot of kids who are legacy types and what would have went to YCS in the past

Who will be the favorites in each region? What teams returns the most talent. Who’s your odds on favorite to win Division 5 in 2023.

Region 18- Coldwater, Archbold, Liberty Center
Coldwater: I expect them to be right back at 8-2 or 9-1 and hosting two playoff games. Kenton will probably be down again but big points from D3 Bellefontaine. With replacing most of their line but being athletic on the outside, will they have another athletic QB that can run and hit the roll out/sprint-out option passes or more of a traditional pocket passer.
Archbold: loses their power run game but Dominique can adapt to his personnel very well, might be a more traditional 4/5 wide. QB has a year of experience now and overall they have pretty good numbers. They return some good lineman on both sides of the ball, losing some solid LB's but return a very good defensive backfield. Tough non-league with Genoa, St Henry and Tinora.
Liberty Center: Returns half their starters on both sides of the ball and have the depth to plug in multiple upperclassmen across the board and potentially have less two-way starters. I mentioned on another thread that LC has had unprecedented success across all the lower levels over the past 3-4 years. Quarterback and DB will be the weakest positions. Tough non-league with Tinora, D4 Napoleon and Otsego.

I wouldn’t count Garfield out in Reg 17. I believe they return a fair amount and what seems to be their best player. LB/RB.

Mooney gets second pick out of the Catholics these days that’s reality, Fitch gets whatever they want too before Mooney, Mooney will depend on a lot of kids who are legacy types and what would have went to YCS in the past
Anyone know why the Mooney-Fitch series has halted? Is this a decision by the Cardinals or the Falcons?

Anyone know why the Mooney-Fitch series has halted? Is this a decision by the Cardinals or the Falcons?
Fitch didn’t want to play them anymore because they were getting basically 0 points from it. I would imagine that can change going forward but that’s what stopped it

Valley View loses a lot on the O-D line but returns majority of Skill guys including their dynamic QB. They’re probably the odds on favorite in R20 with Milton-Union right there. Brookville is a dark horse. Returns virtually all of their team from 2022

Region 20 is up in the air. Milton Union loses a lot. Valley View is probably the favorite right now, but R20 has fluctuated a lot the past few years. it’s entirely possible that Taft or Springfield Shawnee drop back down, which would change the picture.

@Bless Em All usually has some great insight on current happenings up in West Milton. haven’t seen him awhile on here, but if he makes an appearance then he can add some great insight.
Milton Union will not make it past r2 of playoffs. they lost 10/11 starts on offense

Valley View loses a lot on the O-D line but returns majority of Skill guys including their dynamic QB. They’re probably the odds on favorite in R20 with Milton-Union right there. Brookville is a dark horse. Returns virtually all of their team from 2022
Agree. VV loses quite a bit, especially Clark at RB. He was a big part of that offense last season. Losing key players up front hurts as well. They'll hang their hat on a three year starting QB to run the offense. R20 isn't the strongest overall. You'll see the usual cast of characters from the SWBL along with MU. I'm not sure who Northeastern or Madeira return, or if maybe a school like Greeneview has a good class.

Zane Trace will be solid in R20 again but the SVC will take an even further step back from what it usually is so they won’t be prepared come playoff time. I like Brookville in 20, nice looking team when I saw them mid-season
Saw Liberty Center twice last year and they do return some very nice players.

I expect Ironton to be as good or better in 2023. They return most of the OL/DL. Including an FBS offer kid at DT. The skill group on Offense has multiple weapons with a couple scholarship WRs with great size and speed. QB will be new but is a move in and is 6’4 215lbs. Or so. Have several capable RBs.

Defensively I think the secondary and DL will be awfully good. Long and fast on backend. DL will return 3 of 4 that led Ironton to title game last year. Biggest question mark will be LB crew. They have some good ones but lost 3 of 4. I do believe they have the guys there to not see a drop off though.

I think this could be Irontons best team they’ve had of recent. They’ve had good skill all along but I think this OL/DL will be the difference.

I expect Ironton to be as good or better in 2023. They return most of the OL/DL. Including an FBS offer kid at DT. The skill group on Offense has multiple weapons with a couple scholarship WRs with great size and speed. QB will be new but is a move in and is 6’4 215lbs. Or so. Have several capable RBs.

Defensively I think the secondary and DL will be awfully good. Long and fast on backend. DL will return 3 of 4 that led Ironton to title game last year. Biggest question mark will be LB crew. They have some good ones but lost 3 of 4. I do believe they have the guys there to not see a drop off though.

I think this could be Irontons best team they’ve had of recent. They’ve had good skill all along but I think this OL/DL will be the difference.
After seeing Ironton at Canton last December, I got the impression that the studs on the field were certainly talented, and possibly, it was the luxury of having a D1 stud at running back all season, but it seemed like once threat #1 was neutralized, the offense seemed unable to figure out how to consistently move the chains using other schemes. I could be way off, but I believe Ironton will go as far as the guys wearing the headsets take them.

Last edited: