Division 5 in 2023???

Ironton has lost to more talented teams each year they have made it thus far. Ironton has been beat at LOS each year in big game. SR scored 53 points last season and done mostly on big plays in run and pass game. Ironton scored 27 points against a team that hadn’t given up 27 to anyone all year. South Range was really really good in 2022. I think Ironton could be like SR was last year in 2023.

"I could be way off, but I believe Ironton will go as far as the guys wearing the headsets take them."

Unfortunately, this is on target. He does a GREAT job at training/weights, getting kids exposure, and hype/PR (strong, impressive social media presence...the Ironton classic, camps, etc.). But, especially vs good teams, they are undisciplined and look ill-prepared. He's the classic example of someone who needs to hire an OC and get out of the way on Friday nights. I heard his presentation at the state clinic was indicative of this, too. But, he has brought the program back to relevance. I'll give him that.
As for the team, they'll be loaded again.

saw conversation going on in D7 thread. who will come out of each region and eventually win the title in D5? my prediction:

R17 South Range over Norwayne
R18 Coldwater over Liberty Center
R19 Ironton over Harvest Prep
R20 Valley View over Madeira

semis:
Coldwater over Valley View
South Range over Ironton

finals:
Coldwater over South Range

saw conversation going on in D7 thread. who will come out of each region and eventually win the title in D5? my prediction:

semis:
South Range over Ironton

finals:
South Range will certainly be competitive, but I'll be surprized this year if they get to the region 17 final, just too many holes to fill. However the next year the Raiders could be back in the conversation.

semis:
South Range over Ironton

finals:
I appreciate your confidence!

South Range will certainly be competitive, but I'll be surprized this year if they get to the region 17 final, just too many holes to fill. However the next year the Raiders could be back in the conversation.
the only 3 teams i could see winning R17 are South Range, Norwayne, and Ridgewood. all great programs. South Range gets the nod because of how dominant they were last year. winning a state title by 26 is impressive!

semis:
South Range over Ironton

finals:

LC beat CW last year 34-0 and the 2023 LC team may be as good or better the 2022 team. Will dress 70+ players next year.

"I could be way off, but I believe Ironton will go as far as the guys wearing the headsets take them."

Unfortunately, this is on target. He does a GREAT job at training/weights, getting kids exposure, and hype/PR (strong, impressive social media presence...the Ironton classic, camps, etc.). But, especially vs good teams, they are undisciplined and look ill-prepared. He's the classic example of someone who needs to hire an OC and get out of the way on Friday nights. I heard his presentation at the state clinic was indicative of this, too. But, he has brought the program back to relevance. I'll give him that.
As for the team, they'll be loaded again.
Ironton has been to 3 state championships in his short tenure. The young man is doing something right. Coach Lutz lost 6 of these games in his career. Coach Lutz never went to 3 title games in 4 year span. Ironton has been beat by better teams with a longer established programs in recent years. Irontons offense last year put up record numbers in passing yardage. Also, Coach Pendelton and many other coaches who go speak at clinics don’t give away anything. They keep it very vanilla and don’t go into much detail. That’s every coach. I think Ironton is on the right track and when they get the first one. Look out!

semis:
South Range over Ironton

finals:
I like your picks, but I'm really big on Brookville in '23
They should be very good, and they have a nasty habit of playing Valley View tough.

I like your picks, but I'm really big on Brookville in '23
They should be very good, and they have a nasty habit of playing Valley View tough.
i paid for the live stream of the Bville-MU playoff game last season. wasn’t super impressed with the Blue Devils. Milton dominated them, i exoected a better game. Brookville will have to replace the production of Tim Davis- a former Greenon kid.

Brookville could be great, but i need to see them play better consistently in the playoffs. they had a nice with against Northeastern last year, but had some real duds in years prior.

Ironton has been to 3 state championships in his short tenure. The young man is doing something right. Coach Lutz lost 6 of these games in his career. Coach Lutz never went to 3 title games in 4 year span. Ironton has been beat by better teams with a longer established programs in recent years. Irontons offense last year put up record numbers in passing yardage. Also, Coach Pendelton and many other coaches who go speak at clinics don’t give away anything. They keep it very vanilla and don’t go into much detail. That’s every coach. I think Ironton is on the right track and when they get the first one. Look out!

I went to the Ironton v South View game and Ironton's kids looked jacked. You can tell they put in time in the offseason. Without that, I don't think they make it to the championship game because they didn't look overly athletic. They were stronger and really hustled to the football on defense. South Range was just a much more athletic team. If I were an Ironton fan, I'd be thrilled about whatever the coach is doing there. From an outsiders perspective who just caught a snap shot of their team this year, I'd say they over preformed for their natural ability because of the work ethic.

I went to the Ironton v South View game and Ironton's kids looked jacked. You can tell they put in time in the offseason. Without that, I don't think they make it to the championship game because they didn't look overly athletic. They were stronger and really hustled to the football on defense. South Range was just a much more athletic team. If I were an Ironton fan, I'd be thrilled about whatever the coach is doing there. From an outsiders perspective who just caught a snap shot of their team this year, I'd say they over preformed for their natural ability because of the work ethic.
If Ironton was stronger, there must have been another issue (maybe def. scheme) South Range averaged about 7 yds./carry and put up around 200 yds. more offense. I also didn't see any D1 commits playing defense for the Raiders.

If Ironton was stronger, there must have been another issue (maybe def. scheme) South Range averaged about 7 yds./carry and put up around 200 yds. more offense. I also didn't see any D1 commits playing defense for the Raiders.
Across the board, South View looked much faster and more athletic. South Range had a really shifty WR. I think he was #11, but I might be mistaken. The kid made some huge plays. Their QB was also impressive. Obviously, South Range did a better job of putting their athletes in positions to succeed as they won the game. I'm also suggesting that Ironton's coaching staff and school administration has set up a culture that produces athletes in the offseason rather than counting on having years where they just have better athletes. If multiple championship appearances in the last few years is a bad thing... well, you're pretty spoiled with the program.

Dominguez gonna get a bulk of the Carries this year?

There’s another Starkey that will get carries. They’ll be much more run-oriented.

As for SR-Ironton, SR dominated the LoS. They were able to run and Ironton had no chance. No one was running against SR. Not sure if Ironton was more jacked or not, but they got whipped at LoS.

Liberty Center was more physical up front than Ironton, but LC couldn’t pass at all and issues defending the past. But they were hard up front for sure.

Ironton will be interesting because of changing who the guy under center will be. The loss of Perkins at WR to UC, Keyes at RB to Wake Forest, and Carter to UC at LB are all huge losses. Going to be intriguing who steps up as all of those guys left were impact players

Ironton will be interesting because of changing who the guy under center will be. The loss of Perkins at WR to UC, Keyes at RB to Wake Forest, and Carter to UC at LB are all huge losses. Going to be intriguing who steps up as all of those guys left were impact players

I thought I read somewhere that Ironton had a qb ‘move in’.

Losing 3 D1 recruits in Ohio’s Senior Top 50 is a loss for any program but I believe Ironton has a couple of kids coming back who have D1 scholarship offers. Impressive that South Range won the 2022 State Championship over a team with 5 or so D1 players..

I thought I read somewhere that Ironton had a qb ‘move in’.

Losing 3 D1 recruits in Ohio’s Senior Top 50 is a loss for any program but I believe Ironton has a couple of kids coming back who have D1 scholarship offers. Impressive that South Range won the 2022 State Championship over a team with 5 or so D1 players..
The only new transfer I am aware of was a player who played WR/DB. The biggest thing in the game against South Range was their LOS. In the past few seasons since Ironton has had some deep runs they’ve never had a nasty Dline man/Oline man as much as they’ve had those guys at the skill positions or LB

That south range team was special. Anyone know where the QB and WR#11 are headed after high school?
#11, Lindstrom will be a Ohio Dominican University Panther. O.D. is a D2 program near Columbus. #17, Skripac is still trying I believe, to choose between football or baseball offers - he's quite a good pitcher. The team also has a couple of others who have yet to decide/announce, as well as a couple who have chosen to commit for wrestling.

The only new transfer I am aware of was a player who played WR/DB. The biggest thing in the game against South Range was their LOS. In the past few seasons since Ironton has had some deep runs they’ve never had a nasty Dline man/Oline man as much as they’ve had those guys at the skill positions or LB

The QB was at Ironton last year, played mostly Defense. There’s absolutely no drop off at the QB position in my opinion. The Fighting Tigers had a fairly young line last year, they’ll be more experienced, plus they’ll have Gossett back who missed the last couple playoff games due to injury. I believe our running game will be better with the addition of Hart. The WR’s will be deep with Pittman, Terry, Lintz and Schreck. The only spot I’m concerned about and watching on D is the LB’s to see how they shake out, other than that it should be another good year in Tigertown.

Ironton has lost to more talented teams each year they have made it thus far. Ironton has been beat at LOS each year in big game. SR scored 53 points last season and done mostly on big plays in run and pass game. Ironton scored 27 points against a team that hadn’t given up 27 to anyone all year. South Range was really really good in 2022. I think Ironton could be like SR was last year in 2023.
More talented teams? Or better coached teams? I dunno how you call teams with 0 D1 recruits more talented than a team with 5 or 6 D1 recruits…in Division 5 no less…