Division 2 Region 8 playoff discussion

75 to 675 to 725 turn right on exit take into Bellbrook turn left on Main and its on the right a few miles up the road OR Take 675 to the Bellbrook exi and that leads straight into Bellbrook

Give yourself an hour and a half to get there because of traffic on 725 through Centerville

Last edited:
Hang in there snowman33. Dont let certain posters steal away your joy. I know what that's like - believe me. They just like to rattle the doors to see who will open up to their style. Not worth it. Here's hoping Harrison plays big this week as our SWOC rep (even though we'll be heading to ECC next year) and a good football team! Go Wildcats!
Thank you and I hope we can do the SWOC proud this Friday night! Nobody can take away my happiness and enjoyment of this season. I'm proud of our team no matter how we do this Friday. I'll miss having you guys in the SWOC.

I appreciate that, but I also hope we all realize that for many this is an opportunity to post anonymously without repercussion. I know during our run of three straight state titles and four straight regional finals berths, a lot of folks came out of the woodwork and were, in fact, arrogant, chest-thumping and disrespectful. Many of them were LS fans and many were not, simply taking a chance to needlessly p!ss all over another teams hopes. I'd ask you to ignore it best you can and understand, as I'm sure you do, that it does not represent the LS community.

I can tell you from first-hand experience that our school, our football coaches and players are good folks. The Lancers could have put up 55 points, 69 points, or even more Friday night and they did not.

Seriously, good luck Friday. I'd much rather have two local teams in the R8 finals.
I do understand that these people don't represent your entire community. It's just that they are very clearly the loudest and most frequent voice of your community on this board and that is unfortunate. I'd never label an entire community based on the actions of some people. I also wish you guys luck on Friday. If we can take care of business against St Francis DeSales on Friday, I'd love to see our guys get a shot at your team.

Let's take a look at 11-0 Walnut Ridge, La Salle's next opponent.. They play in the Columbus City League, have a 40 man roster with many players going both ways, balanced attack with 1359 yds passing and 1772 yards rushing, on defense like to go after the QB with 33 sacks and 32 hurries.

Let's look at their playmakers
QB is #5 Howard Thornton, 6'0", 187 lbs. 92-155 for 1309 yard passing, 25 TDs to 7 INTs
Top receivers are #13, Qian Magwood, WR, 33 receptions for 499 yds. 8 TDs and #7 Kaveon Ross, TE, 29 recptions for 319 yards, 9 TDs
Top rushers are #2, Javerus Leach, 5'10" 202 lbs., 86 carries for 755 yds 11 TDs and #21 Antonio Felts, 5'10", 162 lbs., 82 carries for 491 yds. 10TDs

Last edited:
I found the 8th grade running back remark very funny lol His family is free to send their child wherever they feel is the best situation for him. I apologize that LaSalle offers a student athlete a great education, I apologize WW coach Parker has a no non sense approach where he is building boys into respectable men by the time they graduate. Why are we complaining? If the single mother lives in a crime ridden area and she has the support system in place to help with a daily commute to WW so be it and if she is able to receive some sort of financial aid and help with tuition so her child can attend LaSalle so be it. Football is played 3 months a yr LIFE plays yearly. Moeller gets kids from all over & how did it work for them this year. Let's stop with this recruiting stuff. The parents are recruiting the schools. Now its funny because I'm very close with a family who's 8th grade student athlete is a stud and it's funny because the top 2 schools on their list are WW AND LASALLE for the above mentioned reasons.

Lets go Ridge , Beat LaSalle. As a proud Walnut Ridge (class 91) alumni you grow up and decide what you want to be and decide what direction you go. Wouldn't change my childhood days. Made me who I was and am today. But with that being said, today's days are a bit different as far as athletics go. ALOT different.

I know quite a bit about DeSales football, they were a D3 team up until this year, and that's where they belong if they want to have any kind of meaningful success. Catholic schools are an afterthought in Columbus, which is why the depth in D1 and D2 schools in Columbus is much better than it is in Cincy, where it is all concentrated to a couple of Catholic and open enrollment schools.

DeSales played EIGHT D3 teams this year. DeSales played ONE OCC team this year, the only D1 school they played, a 45-14 RUNNING CLOCK loss to Dublin Jerome, who I have seen play in person, and is nothing special. Please think before you post next time, because this was one of the dumbest posts yet in this thread, and that is quite an accomplishment.

No, Canal Winchester doesn't qualify as a tomato can, they've been pretty solid, but were never going to do much damage in the playoffs. There are plenty of worse D2 schools around the Cincinnati area, so Buddy has plenty of places he can harvest. And luckily, we have a LaRosa's up here in Dublin so you can keep shipping that yummy pizza up this way!
Who made you the authority in determining the validity of a post? Are you some type of football guru? Do you work for some type of football talent evaluation service?.Instead of having the current system why don't we ask you who should be in the playoffs?Man aren't we full of ourselves.I never said they were going to win the region.I said they would get beat by LaSalle but they beat Turpin and have a chance against Harrison.

I found the 8th grade running back remark very funny lol His family is free to send their child wherever they feel is the best situation for him. I apologize that LaSalle offers a student athlete a great education, I apologize WW coach Parker has a no non sense approach where he is building boys into respectable men by the time they graduate. Why are we complaining? If the single mother lives in a crime ridden area and she has the support system in place to help with a daily commute to WW so be it and if she is able to receive some sort of financial aid and help with tuition so her child can attend LaSalle so be it. Football is played 3 months a yr LIFE plays yearly. Moeller gets kids from all over & how did it work for them this year. Let's stop with this recruiting stuff. The parents are recruiting the schools. Now its funny because I'm very close with a family who's 8th grade student athlete is a stud and it's funny because the top 2 schools on their list are WW AND LASALLE for the above mentioned reasons.

I dont think that is the issue, The issue is that fans want to get on a site like this and chest thump about these schools beating farm schools and small city schools from D2. They are not playing by the same rules as everyone else, but completing against them. I can at least say Lasalle put together a good education for their boys. WW it is not the case. They perform very poorly academically. If they want the benefit of the doubt they need to perform better in the classroom and really enrich a young mans life. Without the academic piece they are just bringing in football players to make their team better. And that is not what High School is about.

I dont think that is the issue, The issue is that fans want to get on a site like this and chest thump about these schools beating farm schools and small city schools from D2. They are not playing by the same rules as everyone else, but completing against them. I can at least say Lasalle put together a good education for their boys. WW it is not the case. They perform very poorly academically. If they want the benefit of the doubt they need to perform better in the classroom and really enrich a young mans life. Without the academic piece they are just bringing in football players to make their team better. And that is not what High School is about.

You are aware that they had a kid sign with Notre Dame in the last 5 years. Correct. WW has a global studies program that is 1 heck of a program and I know there are quite a few kids from the football in it. I am a Private graduate am I comparing private vs public education NO but I know for a fact 1st hand that a lot of kids that come from Cincinnati pub to LaSalle are in remedial or lower level classes because of their placement test scores. Again me being a graduate and coaching AAU and talking with these college coaches. I remember 1 in particular couldnt understand how a kid a private couldnt qualify because he didnt have the required courses. It was mind boggling

You are aware that they had a kid sign with Notre Dame in the last 5 years. Correct. WW has a global studies program that is 1 heck of a program and I know there are quite a few kids from the football in it. I am a Private graduate am I comparing private vs public education NO but I know for a fact 1st hand that a lot of kids that come from Cincinnati pub to LaSalle are in remedial or lower level classes because of their placement test scores. Again me being a graduate and coaching AAU and talking with these college coaches. I remember 1 in particular couldnt understand how a kid a private couldnt qualify because he didnt have the required courses. It was mind boggling

Who is the kid you are referencing who signed with Notre Dame? I know Oates was pursued by Notre Dame. But that is the only one I can recall. I doubt the level of the global studies program. When a school academically is ranked in the lower level of the state and WW is one of the schools that they give scholarships for if you live in the district and want to go to the private school for a higher level education.

Who is the kid you are referencing who signed with Notre Dame? I know Oates was pursued by Notre Dame. But that is the only one I can recall. I doubt the level of the global studies program. When a school academically is ranked in the lower level of the state and WW is one of the schools that they give scholarships for if you live in the district and want to go to the private school for a higher level education.
Defensive tackle Daniel Cage

Can anyone tell me anything about the facilities at Miami Trace? I'm more than a little surprised that the higher seed has a 90 mile drive to the game while the lower seeded team has a 50 mile drive but whatever. I can't believe that some of the large Dayton area schools weren't options.

Also, it seems DeSales is very much a running team based on the stats I saw from the Turpin game. Is there anything that any of you can tell me about their team? It looks like Quintell Quinn is their premier RB. For any of you Columbus area posters, how do you think he compares to Stephan Byrd of Canal Winchester?

Do you know what factors in to those numbers? Again I've seen GCL kids who couldnt get admitted to Notre Dame but a WW kid did and some many yrs ago didnt Doc Gamble have a kid at Withrow who got into ND? I know the kid was getting recruited heavily by them if he didn't attend. Again can I compare a classroom size of a private to a public. NO but to think you can't get a decent education at WW and to say you wont attend college from there is absurd. I think Mike Edwards a Kentucky graduate can attest to that as well as many others who have earned a degree from public schools. I hate this argument that if you go here your chances of being successful are greater.

Not sure of the comparison between the backs but no one expected Canal to beat anyone in the region. Good season though. Quinn is a D1 RB or athlete and Desales has a good line.

Do you know what factors in to those numbers? Again I've seen GCL kids who couldnt get admitted to Notre Dame but a WW kid did and some many yrs ago didnt Doc Gamble have a kid at Withrow who got into ND? I know the kid was getting recruited heavily by them if he didn't attend. Again can I compare a classroom size of a private to a public. NO but to think you can't get a decent education at WW and to say you wont attend college from there is absurd. I think Mike Edwards a Kentucky graduate can attest to that as well as many others who have earned a degree from public schools. I hate this argument that if you go here your chances of being successful are greater.

No one is suggesting you cant get a public HS education and then go to college. Or there might be a kid or 2 that is the exception to the rule at a school. That is putting words into my mouth. But for your info see below:

WWHS report card: https://reportcard.education.ohio.gov/school/overview/064147

for comparison:

Cincy Public report card: https://reportcard.education.ohio.gov/district/overview/043752

Private school classrooms are smaller because they have less kids generally. I do not have the exact figures on that. The only fact I argued is that kids go to WW to play football. Not for the education.

What snowman33 said about their game and the driving distance made me check out the LS WR game. La Salle HS is 53 miles from Bellbrook HS while Walnut Ridge HS is 80 miles to Bellbrook HS.

As for playoff sites selected, a school has to apply to host a playoff game before the playoffs begin, maybe Centerville and Springfield didn't apply.

Last edited:
WW will not get kicked out for beating up on the other teams in the league...Honestly most of the games will be competitive vs. the top 5 but WW should be able to get a W in all...

At the moment Winton Woods should be head and shoulders above the rest of the league. Everything tends to ebb and flow

I know quite a bit about DeSales football, they were a D3 team up until this year, and that's where they belong if they want to have any kind of meaningful success. Catholic schools are an afterthought in Columbus, which is why the depth in D1 and D2 schools in Columbus is much better than it is in Cincy, where it is all concentrated to a couple of Catholic and open enrollment schools.

DeSales played EIGHT D3 teams this year. DeSales played ONE OCC team this year, the only D1 school they played, a 45-14 RUNNING CLOCK loss to Dublin Jerome, who I have seen play in person, and is nothing special. Please think before you post next time, because this was one of the dumbest posts yet in this thread, and that is quite an accomplishment.

No, Canal Winchester doesn't qualify as a tomato can, they've been pretty solid, but were never going to do much damage in the playoffs. There are plenty of worse D2 schools around the Cincinnati area, so Buddy has plenty of places he can harvest. And luckily, we have a LaRosa's up here in Dublin so you can keep shipping that yummy pizza up this way!
What you call depth, we call mediocrity. Seriously, a dude from Central Ohio running smack about high school football is laughable. Since the OHSAA started the football playoffs for D1 & D2 Cincinnati schools have won 28 State Championships, whereas Columbus schools have won 5. Cincinnati has had 12 different schools win State football Championships in D1 & D2, Columbus has had 4....Division 1 & 2 High School football in Ohio is played in NEO and SWO, Columbus is just there to fill out the field. Stop embarrassing yourself with this nonsense, know your role.

What snowman33 said about their game and the driving distance made me check out the LS WR game. La Salle HS is 53 miles from Bellbrook HS while Walnut Ridge HS is 80 miles to Bellbrook HS.

As for playoff sites selected, a school has to apply to host a playoff game before the playoffs begin, maybe Centerville and Springfield didn't apply.

I would guess that the number of schools eagerly requesting the chance to host playoff games is rather small. While it could be an opportunity to raise some money, it probably takes a lot more effort than an average home game.

AD probably has to coordinate all the same services-local police security detail, life squad on hand, media management etc.

AD probably also has to help coordinate with boosters etc. to have concession workers, gate workers etc. Maintenance/grounds team.

All of this is probably harder when you don't necessarily have the team of parents from say the soccer team or the softball team that are required to be there to help like normal home games.

Some schools may have conflicts for their facilities, too. Sure, they may not have a football game using the field, but is the parking lot going to be full from the booster craft show going on at the same time? When is the school fall play? Are all the band parents going to be at the state finals?

OHSAA is far from perfect, but they probably only have so many resources to use when scheduling these games.

Right, because having a championship team means there was depth, makes sense. Where do you SWO ppl dig up these clowns and their clueless posts? I suppose you think that because Clemson had a championship team, that means the ACC was the best league last year, and continues to be a dominant league this year.

I always know my points are valid when clueless homers have to bring prior years' history into the discussion, because they are so soundly defeated in the present state that all they can do is talk about what happened years ago.

The DEPTH in Columbus, of the MIDDLE TIER TEAMS in both D1 and D2 is MUCH stronger than it is in SWO, both last year and this year. Having ONE championship team proves NOTHING about your depth, and what happened 5 or 10 years ago is completely irrelevant to this discussion. I'm talking about RIGHT NOW, what's been happening these past 2 years, and likely will happen going into the future.

I watched the DeSales/Turpin game on Spectrum last night. Turpin was NEVER going to win that game. DeSales outgained them 366-180. Turpin had 27 rushing attempts for 68 yards, against a DeSales team who had give up more than 200 yards rushing 5 times this year.

How many more scares do your top teams like WW need from 5-5 teams like Olentangy and Upper Arlington to prove this point? The facts are all right there on paper.

Walnut Ridge will probably bring 25 fans max. I feel bad for city league teams that get no support.

Right, because having a championship team means there was depth, makes sense. Where do you SWO ppl dig up these clowns and their clueless posts? I suppose you think that because Clemson had a championship team, that means the ACC was the best league last year, and continues to be a dominant league this year.

I always know my points are valid when clueless homers have to bring prior years' history into the discussion, because they are so soundly defeated in the present state that all they can do is talk about what happened years ago.

The DEPTH in Columbus, of the MIDDLE TIER TEAMS in both D1 and D2 is MUCH stronger than it is in SWO, both last year and this year. Having ONE championship team proves NOTHING about your depth, and what happened 5 or 10 years ago is completely irrelevant to this discussion. I'm talking about RIGHT NOW, what's been happening these past 2 years, and likely will happen going into the future.

I watched the DeSales/Turpin game on Spectrum last night. Turpin was NEVER going to win that game. DeSales outgained them 366-180. Turpin had 27 rushing attempts for 68 yards, against a DeSales team who had give up more than 200 yards rushing 5 times this year.

How many more scares do your top teams like WW need from 5-5 teams like Olentangy and Upper Arlington to prove this point? The facts are all right there on paper.
You also just saw Harrison (who is a tomato can who plays weak D2 and D3 teams according to you) easily handle Canal Winchester (Columbus school who played 6 D1 teams). The game wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated. Twice the first downs, twice the yardage, etc. CW's last TD was a deflected pass that fell into a kid's hands who wasn't even a part of the play and he practically walked into the end zone. Harrison also had another TD pass called back. I'm not trying to insult CW because they were a good team with good fans but we were clearly the better team. I'm just saying, if you're going to use the DeSales/Turpin game as proof of something then the Harrison/CW game also has to be considered. Just be consistent. We also have two Cincinnati area/Columbus area matchups this week so we'll see how it goes.

Sir , I’m respectfully refuting everything you say about WW education. I do not refute what the district report card may be. However education is what you get out of it personally and what kind of support system you have and parental involvement. My youngest son (3rd son to play football for Winton woods) is in the academy of global studies program as were his older brothers. It has served them very well. The oldest is currently playing college football and has never had below a 3.0 while in college. The other is doing quite well at UC (not playing football). I’ve seen the report cards of many of the football players (their parents proudly post them in social media) because some of you yahoos think they’re one trick ponies. A’s and B’s. There’s plenty of kids going to private school who don’t apply themselves and have little parental involvement other than writing the check. The automatic notion that if a kid comes to WW, it’s strictly for football and they get nothing else out of it, is getting tiring. We’ve had players go to notre dame ( Daniel cage), the military academies, list goes on. Hell my oldest was recruited heavily by Princeton and even Duke. The storyline constantly being regurgitated is getting tiring.

Sir , I’m respectfully refuting everything you say about WW education. I do not refute what the district report card may be. However education is what you get out of it personally and what kind of support system you have and parental involvement. My youngest son (3rd son to play football for Winton woods) is in the academy of global studies program as were his older brothers. It has served them very well. The oldest is currently playing college football and has never had below a 3.0 while in college. The other is doing quite well at UC (not playing football). I’ve seen the report cards of many of the football players (their parents proudly post them in social media) because some of you yahoos think they’re one trick ponies. A’s and B’s. There’s plenty of kids going to private school who don’t apply themselves and have little parental involvement other than writing the check. The automatic notion that if a kid comes to WW, it’s strictly for football and they get nothing else out of it, is getting tiring. We’ve had players go to notre dame ( Daniel cage), the military academies, list goes on. Hell my oldest was recruited heavily by Princeton and even Duke. The storyline constantly being regurgitated is getting tiring.

Again every school has success stories. WW has many. I know a lot about the WW school system. I know many teachers, coaches, administrators, parents, and kids that go to WW. This is throughout the years from its inception moving forward. I keep hearing this kid who played football did well. That is fine. Parker is a hell of a guy and so are his asst coaches. Bu are the successes because the education is so good? Or is it because they have the hope of getting a scholarship because they are good at something and the team is good? Parker has done a great job getting kids into college. But if you don't look at the big picture then you are ignoring the fact that WW is a poor academic district. For every 1 kid at WW that is a success a school like Lasalle or X has 10. Its just the facts. I love WW football and I wish the school was better, but its not. If WW can start pulling kids into there other programs besides football and start competing when they join the ECC academically and athletically in other sports then opinions and tones will change.

Wow. Where are we going here? Are we really talking about WW education. Geez. Harrison took care of Canal. Desales beat Turpin. Harrison vs Desales should be a competitive game. It doesn't prove how great Columbus or Cincinnati is. Geez. Canal d1 wins were mostly against really bad teams.

I agree that the Harrison/DeSales game should be a great game and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm still looking for a scouting report on DeSales if anyone can give us some background.