Division 2 Region 8 playoff discussion

I feel like when Loveland won it in D2 a few years ago, that may be the last time we see a community team based on guys who live in the district and for the most part have since elementary school win it all. Its what makes it great to see the Clinton Massie, Marion Local, Coldwater, etc type teams when they win state in any sport.
Back in 2010 when WW won the state championship they were not open enrollment it was a district resident only school...they got kicked out of the favc for supposedly being too good for the conference and were forced to play an independent schedule in which they had to play these gauntlet like schedule with mostly d1 teams and in order to compete they had to do a little recruiting...but I agree with them joining the ecc next year the recruiting of players for the schedule they are going to play is going to be a unfair advantage

Back in 2010 when WW won the state championship they were not open enrollment it was a district resident only school...they got kicked out of the favc for supposedly being too good for the conference and were forced to play an independent schedule in which they had to play these gauntlet like schedule with mostly d1 teams and in order to compete they had to do a little recruiting...but I agree with them joining the ecc next year the recruiting of players for the schedule they are going to play is going to be a unfair advantage
You want some cheese with that whine?

WW was not kicked out of a division. The FAVC disbanded. Winton woods was not invited to the ECC due to geographic reasons and WW not being able to compete in all around sports (baseball, soccer, volleyball and so on) I can't remember if they were offered into the SWOC or not. But they didn't go to the SWOC. The only other place they could have ended up was the GMC and they were expanding at that time. So no it wasn't because WW was too good. It was because they didn't fit what the ECC and the SWOC were doing at that point and time.

Lasalle is D1 in every other sport
LaSalle wants to be D1 in football again
LaSalle continues to need money so how do you get more money? More students.
LaSalle has beaten many D1 schools this year, all 5 that they played and 4 of those 5 made the D1 playoffs, 2 are still alive. And so are some of their out of state opponents they beat. Yes we lost to WW, the best team in R8 not in the playoffs, yes I would of rather of played LM instead of WW but they didnt make it. That said WW beat LaSalle but that was one game and if they played again WW might beat them again, but they wont play again this year so it is a mute point.
I as an alum want nothing more than LaSalle to be D1 again in football. Quite frankly to quit hearing all the moaning about LaSalle and the poor us BS that comes along with LaSalle winning in football now. Nobody complained about LaSalle last year. Nobody complains about LaSalle when they loose. Nobody sticks up for LaSalle either when the play against all the D1 schools in all the other sports. LaSalle has less students than all the other GCL schools to pick from to make those teams roster each year. We dont complain when Moeller wins basketball and baseball like they have for the past several years. We dont coplain when X wins tennis and swimming every year. We take our medicine like men in those sports.
LaSalle has to win next week, anybody that knows anything about sports knows anyone can beat anyone any day of the week. LaSalle has just as much of a chance as does Harrison, or any of the other 30 teams left in DII. I have not crowned LaSalle R8 or State Champs nor will I. How can I? We have to win Friday to continue the chance of being either.
Lasalle is a private school, and there are advantages but most of those advantages come in the classroom in my opinion. Different grading scale, that forces the kids to apply themselves even more to become a student athlete for example. I want and would always want my kids to be at the best schools in the area. Most kids go to LaSalle to continue their Faith. Please dont tell me I am conceded or anything like that either. There are a lot of great academic schools that are public. But honestly go ask your HR director about GCL grads and their opinion of the GCL schools academically, along with other private schools academics. They look at those potential employees a little harder. I am not knocking anyone who has kids in a public school. But lets face it again, the public schools that are geographically located around Elder, X and LaSalle dont have the same report card grades from the state of Ohio that Elder ,X and LaSalle do. Has anyone ever thought that kids are sent to these private schools for the education, discipline and mostly because of their Faith? I wanted to go to Colerain, so did all of my brothers. We were all sent to LaSalle, or X. We all wanted to go to the public schools because they had sports AND girls.
I totally get the academic rationale for parents sending their kids to private schools. I come from a family of 7 kids wherein we were all sent to private grade school and high school. My parents were most concerned we were educated in a "Christian" environment, and like yourself I am NOT offering this reflection as a way to in any way demean the education kids get in the Public School system. After all, my kids went through the Little Miami system. All of that said, there are certainly circumstances wherein parents not only desire academic and faith-based education. In fact there are obviously cases wherein parents are searching for athletic advantages as well - particularly in light of the reality that many public schools offer excellent and equivilent educational standards as to that of private schools. I believe that is all this "hul-a-baloo" is about. As has been noted, and only as an example of such, I believe I would be correct in stating that the great young man Ben Blevens went to LaSalle because his parents wanted to provide him a perceived better opportunity to excel in his athletic ventures. I see no problem with such a move. Yet to deny that many of LaSalle's athletes come from families with the same mindset is somewhat disengenious IMO. Will they also receive a great education and in some cases a further nurturing of their faith? Yes. But those are aspects most can also receive going to Public Schools and through their church communities. What they may not receive is the opportunity to play a respective sport with a gathering of other very talented athletes from all around the metropolitan area. That can't be done if attending a public school where only athletes in that community are allowed to play. Believe it's time to move on and enjoy the rest of the play offs, leaving these matters for further discussion once again AFTER the season has concluded.

I think its really funny that Harrison fans think they have a shot to beat LS. Must be nice to be in a weak league with D3 teams. Big fish in a little pond ring a bell? I hope you win this week though so I dont have to travel to Dayton for the regional final.
And I think it's really funny that someone with a private school education can't comprehend the meaning of my post and then actually reply based on what I said. Since you made the accusation that Harrison fans think we have a shot to beat your team, I'd like you to go back through this thread and find even ONE place where I've said that. I'll be waiting.

I don't care about your team. I'll start to care about them when or if it's time to play them. Last week I cared about only Canal Winchester. This week I'll care about DeSales. I thought it was funny that people are talking about a game that isn't occurring yet. Last time I checked, Harrison and DeSales play this week and Walnut Ridge plays your team.

I have alot of respect for MickeyMantle. He is a LS fan with class and humility. I have to say though that other LS fans are the most arrogant, chest thumping, disrespectful, condescending fans on this board as a group. I just don't see that kind of stuff from other schools fans as a group like I do with your school. Winton Woods fans aren't like that. I find it very interesting that the school that talks about the values that they teach has the fans that show those values the least.

And I think it's really funny that someone with a private school education can't comprehend the meaning of my post and then actually reply based on what I said. Since you made the accusation that Harrison fans think we have a shot to beat your team, I'd like you to go back through this thread and find even ONE place where I've said that. I'll be waiting.

I don't care about your team. I'll start to care about them when or if it's time to play them. Last week I cared about only Canal Winchester. This week I'll care about DeSales. I thought it was funny that people are talking about a game that isn't occurring yet. Last time I checked, Harrison and DeSales play this week and Walnut Ridge plays your team.

I have alot of respect for MickeyMantle. He is a LS fan with class and humility. I have to say though that other LS fans are the most arrogant, chest thumping, disrespectful, condescending fans on this board as a group. I just don't see that kind of stuff from other schools fans as a group like I do with your school. Winton Woods fans aren't like that. I find it very interesting that the school that talks about the values that they teach has the fans that show those values the least.
Hang in there snowman33. Dont let certain posters steal away your joy. I know what that's like - believe me. They just like to rattle the doors to see who will open up to their style. Not worth it. Here's hoping Harrison plays big this week as our SWOC rep (even though we'll be heading to ECC next year) and a good football team! Go Wildcats!

I’m glad you all continue to have WW in the conversation even after missing the playoffs however can we get into LaSalle next victim 11-0 Walnut Ridge. Any thoughts?

I have alot of respect for MickeyMantle. He is a LS fan with class and humility. I have to say though that other LS fans are the most arrogant, chest thumping, disrespectful, condescending fans on this board as a group.

I appreciate that, but I also hope we all realize that for many this is an opportunity to post anonymously without repercussion. I know during our run of three straight state titles and four straight regional finals berths, a lot of folks came out of the woodwork and were, in fact, arrogant, chest-thumping and disrespectful. Many of them were LS fans and many were not, simply taking a chance to needlessly p!ss all over another teams hopes. I'd ask you to ignore it best you can and understand, as I'm sure you do, that it does not represent the LS community.

I can tell you from first-hand experience that our school, our football coaches and players are good folks. The Lancers could have put up 55 points, 69 points, or even more Friday night and they did not.

Seriously, good luck Friday. I'd much rather have two local teams in the R8 finals.

According to this article, these are the Walnut Ridge players to watch:

Top Scots: Aaron Clark (WR/DB), Jamarius Dinkins (OL), Jerrell Harrison (LB/TE), Javarus Leach (RB/LB), Qian Magwood (WR/DB/PR/P/K), Marshawn Mankins (LB/TE), James Miller (OL/DL), Howard Thornton (QB) and Antonio Tucker (LB/TE)

Hang in there snowman33. Dont let certain posters steal away your joy. I know what that's like - believe me. They just like to rattle the doors to see who will open up to their style. Not worth it. Here's hoping Harrison plays big this week as our SWOC rep (even though we'll be heading to ECC next year) and a good football team! Go Wildcats!
Saw on twitter where a LaSalle photographer said he was congratulated by 2 football players from LM.at two different times after the game Friday night. He also said it is the first time that had ever happened to him and he has been doing it a long time. That is what you like to see and hear about when you read about local teams in R8. Nice job LM, class acts and glad to see your young men in that light.

Saw on twitter where a LaSalle photographer said he was congratulated by 2 football players from LM.at two different times after the game Friday night. He also said it is the first time that had ever happened to him and he has been doing it a long time. That is what you like to see and hear about when you read about local teams in R8. Nice job LM, class acts and glad to see your young men in that light.

Saw that. Good stuff.

What I posted about Massillon and Hoban recruiting is factional information. To the best of my knowledge, neither Winton Woods nor La Salle has ever been sanctioned by the OHSAA for illegal recruiting but both Massillon and Hoban have. Every time Massillon gets caught, they hire a lawyer and take the OHSAA to court and in every case a out of court settlement is reached to reduce the penalties.

https://fox8.com/2016/08/13/ohsaa-s...gh-school-for-football-recruiting-violations/

If you click on the links above about not being available in your region. it will come up. The first is about Hoban and the second about Massillon.

You are correct LaSalle has never been sanctioned for recruiting that I have seen. LaSalle doesn't have to recruit I believe. GCL schools open there doors and people show up. WW was sanctioned in 2018 for recruiting an 8th grader. They had an asst coach suspended for the playoffs. Another poster posted the article around playoff time last year. Most of the LaSalle posters seem to be really good guys. Most of the WW do as well. There are a few knuckle heads out there but you just have to ignore them and disprove the false statements so good people don't believe them.

WW was not kicked out of a division. The FAVC disbanded. Winton woods was not invited to the ECC due to geographic reasons and WW not being able to compete in all around sports (baseball, soccer, volleyball and so on) I can't remember if they were offered into the SWOC or not. But they didn't go to the SWOC. The only other place they could have ended up was the GMC and they were expanding at that time. So no it wasn't because WW was too good. It was because they didn't fit what the ECC and the SWOC were doing at that point and time.
All correct...WW actually was the last school in the FAVC...The comments by the principal in 2011 is what most likely kept them out of the ECC for so long. There were also concerns if WW could field teams at all levels of participation and competition across all interscholastic sports.

You are

Smh so let's get this straight my Winton Woods Warriors missed the playoffs so the Little Miami scrubs could get in just to get thrashed 42-0 ?...la salle had to be on the moon when they saw LM instead of WW smh good luck Lancers on the rest of the way...o yeah warriors are in the ECC next year so you scared d2 schools cant run any longer and if I'm parker I'm putting 100 points up on everybody especially little miami
So what I think you are saying is you would like the ECC to throw you out of the league at the end of next year. No one is going to play with you if it is no fun.

What do really know about DeSales football?They probably won"t be LaSalle but they aren't a tomato can.They schedule OCC teams all the time and compete against them.If you think the OCC is a tomato can league then you have a point.

I know quite a bit about DeSales football, they were a D3 team up until this year, and that's where they belong if they want to have any kind of meaningful success. Catholic schools are an afterthought in Columbus, which is why the depth in D1 and D2 schools in Columbus is much better than it is in Cincy, where it is all concentrated to a couple of Catholic and open enrollment schools.

DeSales played EIGHT D3 teams this year. DeSales played ONE OCC team this year, the only D1 school they played, a 45-14 RUNNING CLOCK loss to Dublin Jerome, who I have seen play in person, and is nothing special. Please think before you post next time, because this was one of the dumbest posts yet in this thread, and that is quite an accomplishment.

No, Canal Winchester doesn't qualify as a tomato can, they've been pretty solid, but were never going to do much damage in the playoffs. There are plenty of worse D2 schools around the Cincinnati area, so Buddy has plenty of places he can harvest. And luckily, we have a LaRosa's up here in Dublin so you can keep shipping that yummy pizza up this way!

I was pulling for WW to get in, but they came up short. But we keep yammering on about them, even though this thread is intended to discuss Region 8 playoffs. Could we? Harrison in a toss up, and LaSalle big next week.

odd location for sure. Miami Trace is nice but a middle-of-nowhere location for this type of game?
I’ve read that Miami Trace redid their entire facility over the past year and a half and that this will be their first time as a playoff venue with the renovations. Miami Trace is a 10 minute drive off I-71. Seems like it was as good of a midpoint that they could find.

So what I think you are saying is you would like the ECC to throw you out of the league at the end of next year. No one is going to play with you if it is no fun.
WW will not get kicked out for beating up on the other teams in the league...Honestly most of the games will be competitive vs. the top 5 but WW should be able to get a W in all...

DeSales played WW last year. To my knowledge they didn't know there were going to move up to D2 so the D3 scheduling fit because they thought they were going to be D3. They have mostly juniors. They are a running team. The game against Jerome was a surprise to everyone. It was a game where bad things seemed to happen that normally don't happen. Their schedule is ranked 15 in D2.