Div IV Reg 13 Semi West Branch 11-1 vs Canton South 12-0

You don't score 40 plus per game with a middle school offense.
I agree, that was such an off the wall statement. On the flip side back in the day, Mooney literally would run 4 plays and beat nearly everyone while winning state titles lol some people on here are just awful lol

I agree, that was such an off the wall statement. On the flip side back in the day, Mooney literally would run 4 plays and beat nearly everyone while winning state titles lol some people on here are just awful lol
Yea. I think my post was misinterpreted. Nobody is slamming South. I just think WB has too many weapons and will win a close one. I also think Streetsboro was a better win, but I have been wrong plenty of times!! Canton South is a really good team. I don't think people realize he fast wb is as a team. They are equipped to make a nice playoff run but it won't be easy on Friday.

Yea. I think my post was misinterpreted. Nobody is slamming South. I just think WB has too many weapons and will win a close one. I also think Streetsboro was a better win, but I have been wrong plenty of times!! Canton South is a really good team. I don't think people realize he fast wb is as a team. They are equipped to make a nice playoff run but it won't be easy on Friday.
Pretty much everyone on here now defended South last week on the Buchtel discussion. Especially the old NBC guys .

Just looking back over their regular season schedules South played 7 teams that made the playoffs and beat all of them. West Branch played 6 teams that made the playoffs and lost to one of them (Canfield). Very similar schedules. Not that regular season schedules matter a whole lot. So I started looking at West Branches wins compared to Souths wins. WB played and beat 2 winless teams in Howland and Minerva (0-10) , and a 1 win team in Salem (1-9). So I'd definitely say South had a MUCH tougher schedule this year. Not sure how much regular season wins matter once your in the playoffs this deep. I definitely give the edge to Canton South but not by much.

Last edited:
Regular season strength of schedules, & playoff opponents strength of schedule, per Drew Pasteur.

Canton South
#38 of 105 in Division 4, (playoff teams #46 Northwest & #34 Buchtel)

West Branch
#39 of 105 in Division 4, (playoff teams #48 Woodridge & #64 Streetsboro)

Pretty close.
Best of luck & health to both teams........ this should be a great one!

I had made a comment on the Canton South vs. Buchtel thread, that Buchtel played up (Divisions) on their schedule and South played down most of the regular season. That led me to pick Buchtel in that game….incorrectly. Someone correctly pointed out later that yes, Buchtel played up…but they lost all those games.
It’s kind of the same situation in this game, but obviously not a strong indicator for me anymore.

Oo
I had made a comment on the Canton South vs. Buchtel thread, that Buchtel played up (Divisions) on their schedule and South played down most of the regular season. That led me to pick Buchtel in that game….incorrectly. Someone correctly pointed out later that yes, Buchtel played up…but they lost all those games.
It’s kind of the same situation in this game, but obviously not a strong indicator for me anymore.
Buchtel lost by 1 point . You weren’t wrong by much. It was a very hard matchup to figure and realistically as you indicated , a 5-5 or 6-4 Buchtel team is more than competitive against a 10-0 South or WB team.

Last edited:
I
Just looking back over their regular season schedules South played 7 teams that made the playoffs and beat all of them. West Branch played 6 teams that made the playoffs and lost to one of them (Canfield). Very similar schedules. Not that regular season schedules matter a whole lot. So I started looking at West Branches wins compared to Souths wins. WB played and beat 2 winless teams in Howland and Minerva (0-10) , and a 1 win team in Salem (1-9). So I'd definitely say South had a MUCH tougher schedule this year. Not sure how much regular season wins matter once you’re in the playoffs this deep. I definitely give the edge to Canton South but not by much.
Fair enough . But South had 1 TD wins over Sandy Valley(7-5 ) , Triway (5-6) and Fairless (4-7) . Looking at scores is dangerous but it’s all we have … I’m curious to know what the commenters on here would think about the outcome of WB against those 3 teams would be .

Last edited:
Just looking back over their regular season schedules South played 7 teams that made the playoffs and beat all of them. West Branch played 6 teams that made the playoffs and lost to one of them (Canfield). Very similar schedules. Not that regular season schedules matter a whole lot. So I started looking at West Branches wins compared to Souths wins. WB played and beat 2 winless teams in Howland and Minerva (0-10) , and a 1 win team in Salem (1-9). So I'd definitely say South had a MUCH tougher schedule this year. Not sure how much regular season wins matter once your in the playoffs this deep. I definitely give the edge to Canton South but not by much.
Apparently, something is missing from this, because Pasteur predicts WB to beat South by four and CalPreps picks WB by three. WB leads the series with South, 25-9, and did beat Canton South 63-42 two years ago when Snyder was just a sophomore starting QB, but he was still great even then. It should be a great game that may come down to an extra possession either way through a turnover.

If Salem played on the pac 7 they probably would have 4 wins... At this point I don't think Schedules and common opponents matter... It comes down to x's and o's and Jimmys and Joes and who can avoind making mistakes on friday night... Poochie and Deshields put on a heck of a show in 2021.... I am excited to see poochie again but hoping my warriors defense is improved enough to slow him down...

BIllythekidder.... Where do I gotta take you to dinner to actually get out to a game?

If Salem played on the pac 7 they probably would have 4 wins... At this point I don't think Schedules and common opponents matter... It comes down to x's and o's and Jimmys and Joes and who can avoind making mistakes on friday night... Poochie and Deshields put on a heck of a show in 2021.... I am excited to see poochie again but hoping my warriors defense is improved enough to slow him down...

BIllythekidder.... Where do I gotta take you to dinner to actually get out to a gam”
I think the WB defense is a mile ahead of last year in tackling. Hopperton busted a couple for the majority of his yards but they weren’t due to bad tackling. He got behind the defense twice quickly due to assignment breakdowns or just plain good blocking by the other team and sometimes you just have to credit the other team. That middle school was efficient. Lol anyway, I appreciate the offer about dinner. Never say never. I went through three decades when I didn’t miss a game whether they were 14 -0 or 2-8 and raining. I dragged my poor wife to everyone of them and she never complained but I figured it was time to give her her weekends and we are inseparable so…. but never say never. Plus I was a bit of a psycho back in the day at the games and I don’t want everybody to run when they see me . lol.

it's going to be a great game. I like WB but it could go either way.

Regular season strength of schedules, & playoff opponents strength of schedule, per Drew Pasteur.

Canton South
#38 of 105 in Division 4, (playoff teams #46 Northwest & #34 Buchtel)

West Branch
#39 of 105 in Division 4, (playoff teams #48 Woodridge & #64 Streetsboro)

Pretty close.
Best of luck & health to both teams........ this should be a great one!
It's going to be a great atmosphere, games like this don't come around often

The ebc was certainly down this year.

I didn't mean to open a can of worms. Both teams are really good, both deserve to be here. I personally like WB in a close one. I think they have more team speed and will make a big play at some point and win the game. Good luck to both teams tomorrow night!

Oo

Buchtel lost by 1 point . You weren’t wrong by much. It was a very hard matchup to figure and realistically as you indicated , a 5-5 or 6-4 Buchtel team is more than competitive against a 10-0 South or WB team.
That's what great about playoff football, you never really know who has the advantage until the game is over on Friday night.

I

Fair enough . But South had 1 TD wins over Sandy Valley(7-5 ) , Triway (5-6) and Fairless (4-7) . Looking at scores is dangerous but it’s all we have … I’m curious to know what the commenters on here would think about the outcome of WB against those 3 teams would be .
It is tough to compare scores but I think WB handles those 3 but they are all decent teams, I know Sandy valleys quarterback is a great athlete . Sandy valley probably has a better schedule than both South and WB so it's really hard to do a comparison like this.

Last edited:
I'm thinking West Branch gets one more stop than South. Good luck to both teams.

GO WARRIORS!
I'll be heading to Louisville tonight to watch this matchup (grandsons go to W Branch). I'm looking for a high scoring game, somewhere close to 42-36 W Branch (possibly OT). Looking forward to a great game with 2 very good QB's. Hope the stadium food is good!!

Good Luck to both teams and hoping for an injury free contest!!

How fitting this game is being played at Louisville, great place to play went their when Garaway played South Range.

Good luck both teams tonight 😁