• Wayne in a Close one

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • St Edwards in a Close one

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • St Edwards by Greater then 10

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It sounds like both teams were pretty even and it came down to mistakes. Wayne finished strong and Ed's made error after error down the stretch. You cannot do that this time of year against elite competition.

So, why no Wayne students at a State semi final game??? First time Wayne has been to state hoops tournament and students don't show??? Why would that be:shrug:

Any ideas Vamps ?

The student section for Wayne was small and quiet for football all year as well. Student support for athletics at Wayne has really dwindled over the past several years. With Wayne being such a large school, not all of the students know each other, and so many are not going to come support other kids who they do not really know. I think it is more difficult to sell the idea of school spirit to kids at large public schools, especially when kids are wired so differently these days. For smaller schools where everyone knows each other, there is likely going to be a larger, more rowdy student section. Also, this Wayne team having so many kids who transferred in during high school probably does not help.

Wayne bright a nice contingent for football. Surprised basketball didn't get the same response.

Wayne bright a nice contingent for football. Surprised basketball didn't get the same response.

Wayne is a football school. Always have been. Basketball, we used to be happy just to win 10 games a season. Coach Trice changed that at Wayne. Most of the home games this year sold out or were close to selling out. I felt that Wayne brought a good crowd for what type of crowds they get for basketball. Wayne has never had a great student section..... football or basketball....

Honestly, I was pretty upset by the way the OHSAA runs things for basketball. The fans who follow their teams each week traveling all over the place get screwed and thrown behind the baskets. Then the winning team's fans qet corralled out in the cold in a long line to exchange tickets for random tickets for Saturdays game.... Many fans moved and went up to the upper decks to find seats.....

Wayne is a football school. Always have been. Basketball, we used to be happy just to win 10 games a season. Coach Trice changed that at Wayne. Most of the home games this year sold out or were close to selling out. I felt that Wayne brought a good crowd for what type of crowds they get for basketball. Wayne has never had a great student section..... football or basketball....

Honestly, I was pretty upset by the way the OHSAA runs things for basketball. The fans who follow their teams each week traveling all over the place get screwed and thrown behind the baskets. Then the winning team's fans qet corralled out in the cold in a long line to exchange tickets for random tickets for Saturdays game.... Many fans moved and went up to the upper decks to find seats.....

Just be glad you're there Vamps lol

A significant reason for the drop in attendance is that we live in an era that supports specialization and ridicules generalists. Being a fan...those are your classic generalists. They take in everything. They are comfortable rooting for their classmates. In the specialization era, you and your parents focus on you, your thing. Being a fan today is...well, you're a pud...and I say this having been a fan in high school, attending many, many sporting events, rooting for my classmates...and loving it.

This isn't true of all, but the number of people who will go to a sporting event to root for someone else has dropped because either they are at their own event OR they find no value in coming to your event.

On the Student section.... I think that is a "Non Point" as has been explained by a number of people. St Edward (notice no "s") I heard also provided busing for the student section. Wayne provided busing for the Prep Band and Team components. Wayne is also under the Microscope for how it spends its $$$ with the failure of MULTIPLE Levies... would not look good to provide transportation for a student section.

This is just my THOUGHTS... not to EVER be confused with Facts please.

Hawk

Did St Edward not have anybody better than Flannery to run the point? Coaches son brings into question whether this has been an issue on this team this year?

The student section for Wayne was small and quiet for football all year as well. Student support for athletics at Wayne has really dwindled over the past several years. With Wayne being such a large school, not all of the students know each other, and so many are not going to come support other kids who they do not really know. I think it is more difficult to sell the idea of school spirit to kids at large public schools, especially when kids are wired so differently these days. For smaller schools where everyone knows each other, there is likely going to be a larger, more rowdy student section. Also, this Wayne team having so many kids who transferred in during high school probably does not help.

Rodrick Caldwell, transfer from Stivers this year, was the difference maker for Wayne last night. Leading scorer for Wayne, I believe, brought the ball up court through pressure, and ran the team from the point. Wayne would not have won the game without him.

D. Trice does not seem to be a true point guard. He fits the bill of a shooting guard, who can hit the three-pointer, but also drive to the basket for a layup or short pass to Wagner or Williams for two.

Coach Trice recognized the need for a true point guard and went out and got Caldwell, maybe the second best point guard in the area behind A.J. Harris of Dunbar.

Great pickup for Wayne to put them over the top this year.

Did St Edward not have anybody better than Flannery to run the point? Coaches son brings into question whether this has been an issue on this team this year?

It wasn’t an issue, except maybe early in the season, when he was settling into his new role. But, after that, he did what a good point guard should, handling the ball effectively (few turnovers) and leading the team in assists. Sean wasn’t a scorer, but the team didn’t need that from him. On the defensive end, he had a lot of ball deflections and steals.

Rodrick Caldwell, transfer from Stivers this year, was the difference maker for Wayne last night. Leading scorer for Wayne, I believe, brought the ball up court through pressure, and ran the team from the point. Wayne would not have won the game without him.

D. Trice does not seem to be a true point guard. He fits the bill of a shooting guard, who can hit the three-pointer, but also drive to the basket for a layup or short pass to Wagner or Williams for two.

Coach Trice recognized the need for a true point guard and went out and got Caldwell, maybe the second best point guard in the area behind A.J. Harris of Dunbar.

One more time, ... stay off of Wayne threads if you are going to spew BS and Slander about Coach Trice. You have an agenda and that is to destroy Wayne threads and turn them into something else. Basically a troll....

Could not disagree with you more!!!!! Have you ever seen Springboro or Centerville? Those schools are big schools and they have a ton of school spirit. It starts with the community, if the community supports the kids the kids will support the kids. They have to learn it from somewhere and unfortunately the community of Huber does not support the kids that well. From what I have witnessed they is a very small support group of Wayne alum and parents that support the teams. But that's it.

If you think for one second that wayne goes out and "gets" kids to play for them you are a moron. I went to wayne, kids want to come to wayne and play. Wayne doesn't have to go chase kids. People have beaten this horse for to long. I'm usually quiet on yappi and just read but people have so many ridiculous opinions about wayne but they know nothing about the program. Caldwell and his family wanted to be at wayne end of story! If any of the coaches in Ohio had kids that were above average that wanted to play for them they would be happy to have them! get over it and yourself!

Could not disagree with you more!!!!! Have you ever seen Springboro or Centerville? Those schools are big schools and they have a ton of school spirit. It starts with the community, if the community supports the kids the kids will support the kids. They have to learn it from somewhere and unfortunately the community of Huber does not support the kids that well. From what I have witnessed they is a very small support group of Wayne alum and parents that support the teams. But that's it.

Are you talking about Football as well? Wayne has a huge following for football. The community definitely supports the Football program. I don't know why the student sections are small. I know they tried to get student support.

Well... Centerville did not bring many to the Basketball Game at Wayne this year... Home games... I agree.... But Home Games Wayne's Gym is full and lots of students...

I really think this is a non topic... Looks like folks are looking for things to "Dig Into..." I am thinking Sour Grapes

Good Luck to Wayne Warriors in the STATE Div 1 Final, TONIGHT...

all but 2 Schools are now watchers....

Hey which of the Wayne kids are going to UD? I'd like to know what numbers to watch for tonight.

Good luck to the Warriors, I definitely think South can be beaten.

Congratulations to Wayne for winning the state title. I saw about 15-20 teams this year and must say they were the best team I saw all year. When Wayne was playing good they were one of the top 10 teams in the last 30 years from SW Ohio IMO. Their only weakness was FTs late in a game to close a team out. If you beat Findlay Prep any year you've got big time talent.

Congrats to HHW for winning the bball title in the 2014-2015 season. A talented team and very deserving of a championship.

There is nothing wrong with community support from Huber Heights for Wayne sports. Even this year's football game with Centerville, which was a huge match up but had terrible weather, the Wayne side was packed about a half hour before game time while the Centerville side never got close to filling up. For home games in basketbalI, even before Coach Trice, Wayne fans have always filled the gym. I was referring specifically to student support and I would even say that the Centerville student sections for football, which used to always be massive and very loud, have started to shrink the last few years. You also pointed out two schools that are very different demographically than Wayne which does make a big difference.

One more time, ... stay off of Wayne threads if you are going to spew BS and Slander about Coach Trice. You have an agenda and that is to destroy Wayne threads and turn them into something else. Basically a troll....

I reject your ultimatum/threat. The First Amendment to the United States Constitution guarantees my right to not have my freedom of speech abridged.

There is no slander. I'm expressing an opinion. You, on the other hand, continue to spew your hatred of Centerville, its citizens, schools, students, coaches and athletes.

I was at the Eds v Wayne game, great ball game by both teams. Wayne is/was the real deal this year. And I would be remiss if I didn't congratulate them on their Basketball state title. Congrats to the Wayne Warriors.

Does this mean every time I drive to Indianapolis to see family I'm going to drive by a sign on I-70 that says, Huber Heights, home of the D1 2015 state basketball champions? Or will it say Dayton? Just kidding.

Great job by the young men of Wayne High School.

There is nothing wrong with community support from Huber Heights for Wayne sports. Even this year's football game with Centerville, which was a huge match up but had terrible weather, the Wayne side was packed about a half hour before game time while the Centerville side never got close to filling up.. For home games in basketbalI, even before Coach Trice, Wayne fans have always filled the gym. I was referring specifically to student support and I would even say that the Centerville student sections for football, which used to always be massive and very loud, have started to shrink the last few years. You also pointed out two schools that are very different demographically than Wayne which does make a big difference.

You're kidding. Centerville's home stands has a capacity three times that of the away stands. The home stands can be two-thirds full and still have twice the number of fans as the visitors. That was the case for this game.

too much propaganda aka BS..

Wayne Warriors 2015 Ohio State Division One Basketball Champions! :hello:

Any way you want to dice it up .. Great season and Congratulations to the TEAM, COACHES and FANS.

End of discussion.

You're kidding. Centerville's home stands has a capacity three times that of the away stands. The home stands can be two-thirds full and still have twice the number of fans as the visitors. That was the case for this game.

While that is true, the Centerville stands may not even have been two-thirds full for that game. The point I was making was that support for Wayne sports from the community is just as good, if not better, than any other community in the Dayton area. I would have expected a capacity home crowd for a season finale football game, in which both teams were undefeated and playing for the top seed in the playoffs.

While that is true, the Centerville stands may not even have been two-thirds full for that game. The point I was making was that support for Wayne sports from the community is just as good, if not better, than any other community in the Dayton area. I would have expected a capacity home crowd for a season finale football game, in which both teams were undefeated and playing for the top seed in the playoffs.

Or, the Centerville stands may have been more than two-thirds full for that game.

The bottom line is that Centerville fans easily outnumbered Wayne fans for that game.

I've heard that Wayne fans travel to away games. Where were they? I would expect them to line the field, but they didn't. Guess they thought the game was in the bag.