Votes: 16 16.8%
  • Avon by 1-8

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Avon by 9-16

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Avon by 17+

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
I think trying to get a read on how Eds or Hoban play from their game is a waste of time. That was a rainy, wet field, physical game. Neither team really got their offense going. Hoban punting late wasn't the craziest call considering Eds didn't really do anything on offense for basically the entire game.

Avon can win this game. As other posters have said, without their starting QB they have to play a perfect game and even then it may not be enough. But Hoban will make a mistake at some point and Avon can capitalize on it.
A complete waste of time. Hoban was never going to have much success that night on offense against that D, they were missing 3 starting OL and their starting RB. Then Ed's loses their starting QB in the first half, as well. First team to find their way to 10 was going to win.

Last edited:
That D will have to win the game for Avon. I think Elder, as good of a coach as he is, can possibly manufacture 17 pts tops, but will it be enough?

This Hoban team is better than last year, even without Sperling. They have more weapons and speed on offense, and one of Tyrell’s best defenses. The oline has gotten whole the past couple of weeks for the first time since August. The had reached the point where they started 3 backups in week 10. Avon is obviously a great program, and will give Hoban all they want. It’s just likely going to be an uphill battle unless Hoban is shooting themselves in the foot.
It seems the only weak link on Hoban teams is at QB. Not since Hamm has Tyrell had great QB play. this Hoban defense is solid and will make up for any shortcomings on the offense. Hoban by 18.

What is not being discussed enough is Avons D vs Hoban O. Hoban is a 85% run team. Avon in week 3 held Glenville’s Mr. Ohio candidate D’Shawntae Jones to his lowest total of the season (under 60 yrds). In my opinion, Jones as a RB, is better than what Hoban has to offer.
I’m expecting a low scoring defensive slug fest style game. Avon 17 Hoban 14.

It seems the only weak link on Hoban teams is at QB. Not since Hamm has Tyrell had great QB play. this Hoban defense is solid and will make up for any shortcomings on the offense. Hoban by 18.
Hamm was a unique player, almost the perfect HS QB, and a perfect fit for their style and culture. They may have more talented players at that position come through there in the future, but they'll be hard pressed to find a better one. Boykin is a very good player, and has had a nice year in his first season starting. He throws a nice ball, and adds a dimension in the run/read game that they've never had.

What is not being discussed enough is Avons D vs Hoban O. Hoban is a 85% run team. Avon in week 3 held Glenville’s Mr. Ohio candidate D’Shawntae Jones to his lowest total of the season (under 60 yrds). In my opinion, Jones as a RB, is better than what Hoban has to offer.
Hoban will play 3 backs, all stylistically different. It will also be the best oline Avon has faced - athletically, physically and schematically. If they can limit them, they'll have earned their flowers and their W.

Hoban will play 3 backs, all stylistically different. It will also be the best oline Avon has faced - athletically, physically and schematically. If they can limit them, they'll have earned their flowers and their W.
Agree with this. Only watched Hoban play once this year - last week against Walsh. Each back got better than the one before. 400 yards + on the ground will wear anyone out. To have any shot, Avon will have to play perfect and capitalize on turnovers and mistakes (Hoban will make those).

Here's an early season article on the freshman back, Brayton Feister, who has come on more and more as the season has worn on-

I agree the Oline is the best they will see from a size perspective. However, disagree with best schematically. Watching Hoban for years since TT took over…. It’s very obvious he’s taken the KISS (keep it simple stupid). They rarely pass the ball 80-90% run. The run schemes are simple schemes that rely on strength and size to lean on the other teams. Overall, from my perspective they have a very elementary system but the Jimmy and Joes make it all work.

Here's an early season article on the freshman back, Brayton Feister, who has come on more and more as the season has worn on-

6'3 215 freshman rb. Well that's something to look forward to, uggh. Lol.

That kid looked solid on Friday last week.
Yes, hard to believe that kid is a freshman. He runs hard and breaks a lot of tackles. He also appears pretty fast. Early in the season Hoban was playing a sophomore running back who they project to be a big time talent. The kids name is K J Osbey I believe. I have not seen him since about the 3rd game of the season. I don't know if he is hurt or this freshman beat him out?

Yes, hard to believe that kid is a freshman. He runs hard and breaks a lot of tackles. He also appears pretty fast. Early in the season Hoban was playing a sophomore running back who they project to be a big time talent. The kids name is K J Osbey I believe. I have not seen him since about the 3rd game of the season. I don't know if he is hurt or this freshman beat him out?
This where you see the inequality between a Hoban and even a great public, especially a closed enrollment public. When injuries happen, which they always do in football, the next man up at Avon will know his assignments inside and out, be in great physical condition and play hard to the whistle…but the next man up at Hoban is typically a future all state player stuck behind one or two older all state level players. That’s why it’s imperative for anyone who plays Hoban, or a similar school, to be fully healthy. Your starters might be able to go toe to toe in some years, but your back ups are hard-pressed to match up well against a Hoban. It’s not complaining, whining, or anything. It’s not anything to do with breaking rules or recruiting, because I believe Hoban abides by the OHSAA rules and it’s Avon’s choice to be closed enrollment. I’m just being factual about construction of the rosters and depth.

This where you see the inequality between a Hoban and even a great public, especially a closed enrollment public. When injuries happen, which they always do in football, the next man up at Avon will know his assignments inside and out, be in great physical condition and play hard to the whistle…but the next man up at Hoban is typically a future all state player stuck behind one or two older all state level players. That’s why it’s imperative for anyone who plays Hoban, or a similar school, to be fully healthy. Your starters might be able to go toe to toe in some years, but your back ups are hard-pressed to match up well against a Hoban. It’s not complaining, whining, or anything. It’s not anything to do with breaking rules or recruiting, because I believe Hoban abides by the OHSAA rules and it’s Avon’s choice to be closed enrollment. I’m just being factual about construction of the rosters and depth.
This is extremely accurate! It even played out that way in a couple of Massillon/Hoban games. Massillon loses Jamir Thomas in a semi final game against Winton Woods and plays Hoban for a title without him and loses.
Hoban played Massillon in a semi final with a less than 100% Traynum and loses.

Feel bad about the Avon QB, but you gotta play with what/who you have, and I know that Elder will have his Eagles ready to go Friday night. Best of luck Avon from a Tiger fan!

This is extremely accurate! It even played out that way in a couple of Massillon/Hoban games. Massillon loses Jamir Thomas in a semi final game against Winton Woods and plays Hoban for a title without him and loses.

Feel bad about the Avon QB, but you gotta play with what/who you have, and I know that Elder will have his Eagles ready to go Friday night. Best of luck Avon from a Tiger fan!
Yes, the private schools have incredible depth. You never see any player playing both offense and defense. I remember watching Moeller back when they were winning state championships it seemed like every year, they would run in 5 or 6 running backs and the 6th guy looked just as fast and good as the 1st stringer.

Yes, the private schools have incredible depth. You never see any player playing both offense and defense. I remember watching Moeller back when they were winning state championships it seemed like every year, they would run in 5 or 6 running backs and the 6th guy looked just as fast and good as the 1st stringer.

As I recall it was either the 80 team or 82 team that we played that all 22 starters and 6 reserves went on to play college ball. Including numerous blue chip D1's needless to say.

Now that was before internet so can't guarantee it but that was definitely the word then. And totally believable.

True, but I don't think Glenville's offensive line is as good as Hoban's. Hoban has 3 d1 lineman being heavily recruited by Ohio State,Michigan,NotreDame. One kid committed to Tennessee. I would say Jones is better than any of Hoban's backs but Hoban use 3 backs all 3 can break it all the way on any play. However, I can see Avon winning this game. I believe it will be close all the way through. Not sure about Massillon and Anderson. Also not sure about Avon or Hoban against probably Massillon.

Depth is huge. #3 Pringle was just named District DPOY and is lights out on both sides of ball. Him being out would be a MAJOR blow to most teams, and it's not even a story. #41 Robinson steps up that's all.

Granted a dual threat QB is hard to replace, but others have to step up.

Depth is huge. #3 Pringle was just named District DPOY and is lights out on both sides of ball. Him being out would be a MAJOR blow to most teams, and it's not even a story. #41 Robinson steps up that's all.

Granted a dual threat QB is hard to replace, but others have to step up.
With all due respect, Avon could effectively replace everyone in the lineup with a credible back up, even if it was a D1 player like Luke Hamilton or Jakorion Caffey, but to lose the QB1 is typically a much greater loss to any team than a player at any other position. Especially when the back up is a different style QB. But yes, QB2 and everyone else have to ball out and hope it’s enough to get the win.

True, but I don't think Glenville's offensive line is as good as Hoban's. Hoban has 3 d1 lineman being heavily recruited by Ohio State,Michigan,NotreDame. One kid committed to Tennessee. I would say Jones is better than any of Hoban's backs but Hoban use 3 backs all 3 can break it all the way on any play. However, I can see Avon winning this game. I believe it will be close all the way through. Not sure about Massillon and Anderson. Also not sure about Avon or Hoban against probably Massillon.
I don't see Avon winning this game at all. I don't think it mattered even if they had their starting QB healthy, they haven't been able to do it in 3 tries so what makes this year any different? Hoban has been in the championship game 7 times in the past 8 years. Winning 5 times. Avon has not made it to the finals during this time. Nothing against Avon but getting there is hard enough, winning it is even harder. Also Hoban is finally healthy on the OL and RB position which hurt them through the mid part of the season.

I don't see Avon winning this game at all. I don't think it mattered even if they had their starting QB healthy, they haven't been able to do it in 3 tries so what makes this year any different? Hoban has been in the championship game 7 times in the past 8 years. Winning 5 times. Avon has not made it to the finals during this time. Nothing against Avon but getting there is hard enough, winning it is even harder. Also Hoban is finally healthy on the OL and RB position which hurt them through the mid part of the season.
Maybe the difference was that they’re better this year? Based on your logic Avon should just shut down the program

Maybe the difference was that they’re better this year? Based on your logic Avon should just shut down the program
I remember when Avon lost the 2011 state championship game to Trotwood Madison, still the most talented opponent Avon has ever faced IMO, and Hoban had no state titles in football, no expectations of any on the horizon, possibly had never even made it to a state final before, but here we are a dozen years later and they are the D2 gold standard with multiple state titles…BUT THEY HAD TO WIN THAT FIRST ONE. At some point every team that ever won a state title had to break through and get the first one. Some of the Hoban fans are a little spoiled, it seems. They forgot the journey.

I remember when Avon lost the 2011 state championship game to Trotwood Madison, still the most talented opponent Avon has ever faced IMO, and Hoban had no state titles in football, no expectations of any on the horizon, possibly had never even made it to a state final before, but here we are a dozen years later and they are the D2 gold standard with multiple state titles…BUT THEY HAD TO WIN THAT FIRST ONE. At some point every team that ever won a state title had to break through and get the first one.
Exactly. Hoban has had a great decade of football but otherwise has been the definition of average yet some of their fans (who have only followed football for 5 years lol) talk down on other programs who have had sustained success for decades

I remember when Avon lost the 2011 state championship game to Trotwood Madison, still the most talented opponent Avon has ever faced IMO, and Hoban had no state titles in football, no expectations of any on the horizon, possibly had never even made it to a state final before, but here we are a dozen years later and they are the D2 gold standard with multiple state titles…BUT THEY HAD TO WIN THAT FIRST ONE. At some point every team that ever won a state title had to break through and get the first one. Some of the Hoban fans are a little spoiled, it seems. They forgot the journey.
Israel Green! Damn, I wonder what ever happened to that kid. That was some performance.

Exactly. Hoban has had a great decade of football but otherwise has been the definition of average yet some of their fans (who have only followed football for 5 years lol) talk down on other programs who have had sustained success for decades
A lot forget the good Hoban teams of the early 2000’s with Tyrell Sutton and then the ‘08 team that went to the state semis. One could say Massillon was the definition of average from 1970-2015. Very similar to ND football.