Dayton Area Basketball

Dayton area will be strong next year. In D1, Wayne and Centerville should be strong with many returning starters for both schools. Wayne returns Curry, Rice, and Fancher. Centerville returns Cupps, Nije, Rolf, House, and Hayes. Should be very good. West Carrollton could be a sleeper.Shrivers, Walker, Algovir will be tough. Returning key players and are rumored to have some key transfers. D2 you have Thurgood, who is returning the starting five in Elmore, McComb, Amerson, Johnson, and Ferguson. All seniors and a junior. Can they get over the Trotwood hump finally? Speaking of Trotwood they lose a lot in four year players Anderson, Blanton, but they are returning a dynamic backcourt in Blake and Mims, both averaged double figures in support roles and had several big games.They also return Tymier Blanton and Damontay Raglin. Thurgood- Trotwood will be a great game. Hopefully they will play twice. Would love to see West Carrollton-Trotwood game this year too.

It'll be nice to see some good basketball in the Dayton area. I remember in another thread where someone stated that there is another Blanton that will be a Freshman at Trotwood next year, and they said he is supposed to be very good.

Agreed. The Dayton area is going to be tough next year with great match-ups to watch. It seems as though the next few years are going to be strong

Yes for the first time in 5 or 6 years probably longer the Dayton area will be strong again not just one strong state championship contender.
Side note: DPS has not produced a D1 scholarship boys basketball player in that time span....the last D1 player to come out of the city is Cierra Hooks(Thurgood) she'll be a senior at OU next season and potentially a late first-round draft pick. Just found that interesting...please correct if I'm wrong.

Unless you want to count Baker and McConnell from Dunbar but they left after their junior seasons.

It'll be nice to see some good basketball in the Dayton area. I remember in another thread where someone stated that there is another Blanton that will be a Freshman at Trotwood next year, and they said he is supposed to be very good.
Yes Trotwood will have a couple of Freshman that will have impact next. Looking to be a very deep team.

Agreed. The Dayton area is going to be tough next year with great match-ups to watch. It seems as though the next few years are going to be strong
Finally.

Do all regional roads run through the boys of moeller, AGAIN. I have not heard. I hope not.

5 Division 1 players for Moeller in their starting lineup? If they lose a game in SW Ohio their coach should get fired...

As for the Dayton area teams, Trotwood and Thurgood won't have to worry about Moeller. Obviously Centerville and Wayne could have to deal with them.

Don't think he will start this year. Williams, Duncomb, McCracken, Noyes, and Mahaffey. All D1. Unless Turner is going to start and they are going to bring a D1 player off the bench.
Should be playing teams like Oak Hill Academy and Mater Dei. What kind of team "naturally" develops five D1 players in its starting five. Oh, I know those that are on ESPN or Spires Academy. That is plain silly.

Should be playing teams like Oak Hill Academy and Mater Dei. What kind of team "naturally" develops five D1 players in its starting five. Oh, I know those that are on ESPN or Spires Academy. That is plain silly.
Moeller would get killed by any of the top national teams -- IMG, Montverde, Wasatch, Oak Hill, Sunrise Christian, Hillcrest, Prolific Prep . . . they are on a different level. They could just start by playing the good teams in Cleveland and Columbus (refused to play Hilliard Bradley or St. Ed's) over the last couple years. Just fyi--Spire was a 1 year wonder--they were horrible this past year.

It will be interesting to see IF Sinclair shutting down sports for all of 2020 influences decisions to have a basketball season for high schools?!?!?!
Anyone have updates on players decisions to transfer??

Moeller would get killed by any of the top national teams -- IMG, Montverde, Wasatch, Oak Hill, Sunrise Christian, Hillcrest, Prolific Prep . . . they are on a different level. They could just start by playing the good teams in Cleveland and Columbus (refused to play Hilliard Bradley or St. Ed's) over the last couple years. Just fyi--Spire was a 1 year wonder--they were horrible this past year.
Gopher, there is some truth to what you are saying and what has been discussed here. First, the "schools" you mentioned are not real high school teams. There is a reason they cannot be a part of their states athletic association and are not eligible to play for a state title. These are boarding schools who can recruit kids from anywhere they wish. They play by a completely different set of rules than any public school. They are even playing by different rules than the private schools. I agree that Moeller is very talented, but also they paly well together. Lastly ,several folks have mentioned here about the number of D 1 kids they have. Just because you may not have a lot of D 1 kids, doesn't mean you cannot have a great team. Great example is 2016 John Glenn beating SVSM in the state finals. Just a few thoughts

Yes for the first time in 5 or 6 years probably longer the Dayton area will be strong again not just one strong state championship contender.
Side note: DPS has not produced a D1 scholarship boys basketball player in that time span....the last D1 player to come out of the city is Cierra Hooks(Thurgood) she'll be a senior at OU next season and potentially a late first-round draft pick. Just found that interesting...please correct if I'm wrong.

Unless you want to count Baker and McConnell from Dunbar but they left after their junior seasons.
Parker and quizenbery both 2018 wayne graduates are d1

Moe is in the middle of a deal with SVSM, I'm not sure what you're talking about...

Great. They played SVSM. That's only 1 game (and they lost). Look at St. Ed's schedule or Lima or Garfield Hts . . . they don't shy away from playing tough games. My point is that Moeller does. Every year they get invited to FTTH and every year they pass.

Great. They played SVSM. That's only 1 game (and they lost). Look at St. Ed's schedule or Lima or Garfield Hts . . . they don't shy away from playing tough games. My point is that Moeller does. Every year they get invited to FTTH and every year they pass.

Maybe it's time for Moeller to consider a coaching change. The incompetence from Moe Head Coach is head scratching!

Maybe it's time for Moeller to consider a coaching change. The incompetence from Moe Head Coach is head scratching!
Moeller has been very good over the last couple years. They were likely on their way to a 3rd straight state championship. Is the coaching that bad there? I don't know any details about that there.

As for Moeller, they've knocked out Centerville and Wayne over the past 2-3 years. Including Centerville the last 2 years. It does appear that Centerville did play them closer this past year than they played them the 3 times in 2018 and 2019. Centerville is returning 5 out of their top 6 leading scorers, and it appears they will have some size. Any chance Centerville can knock them off in the next few years?

Moeller has been very good over the last couple years. They were likely on their way to a 3rd straight state championship. Is the coaching that bad there? I don't know any details about that there.

As for Moeller, they've knocked out Centerville and Wayne over the past 2-3 years. Including Centerville the last 2 years. It does appear that Centerville did play them closer this past year than they played them the 3 times in 2018 and 2019. Centerville is returning 5 out of their top 6 leading scorers, and it appears they will have some size. Any chance Centerville can knock them off in the next few years?
Not if Moeller continues down this path of getting all the top players. It just continues to push the further and further away from the competition as each year passes.

Ya, the coaching is horrible. 110-5 and Back-to-back (probably a 3 peat) just isn't getting it done. The first thing the new coach needs to do is take a look at scheduling.

They get 22 games a year... Last year they played Lutheran East, Chillicothe, Medina, SVSM, teams from Ga. NC. MD, and FL, the GCLSx2, Centerville, Wayne, Hughes, Springfield, and Turpin. That is a LOADED schedule for anyone. I have no idea about FTTH and I assume you don't either but are just saying they turn it down every year without any real knowledge.

There is always a chance once your playing in the regional finals. Likely? Hell no.