David Taylor interviews for OKST

Id like to see Dean Heil on staff out there. Dont know what Dean is up to or if coaching is in his cards. But that would be cool to see.
Pretty impressive ....................... win two NCAA titles and then not place his last year. Tough

From Wikipedia

Dean Heil
Personal information
Born February 9, 1995 (age 29)
Griffin, Georgia, U.S.
Home town Brunswick, Ohio, U.S.
Sport Wrestling
Event Folkstyle
College team Oklahoma State

Medal record

Collegiate Wrestling
Representing the Oklahoma State Cowboys

NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships
Gold 2016 New York 141 lb
Gold 2017 St. Louis 141 lb

Big 12 Championships
Gold 2015 Ames 141 lb
Gold 2016 Kansas City 141 lb
Gold 2017 Tulsa 141 lb
Silver 2018 Tulsa 141 lb

Dean Heil is a former folkstyle wrestler from Brunswick, Ohio.[1] Heil wrestled collegiately at Oklahoma State, where he was a three-time All-American and two-time NCAA champion.

High school career
At St. Edward High School in Lakewood, Ohio, he was a four-time OHSAA champion at four different weight classes while wrestling for Greg Urbas.[2] He was also the 2011 champion at the Walsh Ironman.[3]
College career
2015 season

In 2015, Heil was an All-American (top 8 finish) by virtue of finishing fourth at the 2015 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships.[4]
2016 season
He won an individual title at the 2016 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships and lost only once during that season. He defeated University of Wyoming's Bryce Meredith by a score of 3-2 in the finals.[5] At the 2016 championships, he was the number 1 seed.[6][7]
2017 season
Heil defended his title at the 2017 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, capping an undefeated season. He defeated University of Virginia's George DiCamillo 6-3 in the finals.[8]
2018 season
Heil lost in the quarterfinals to eventual champion Yianni Diakomihalis of Cornell (who would go on to be the fifth four time NCAA champion) then lost his next match, finishing outside of All-American honors.[9]

just got an email from him/M2 that they will be announcing soon what was going to be happening with M2
1715109594950.png

"Transition" is clearly ambiguous...

Last edited:
tOSU does have a bag full of NIL money. However Ryan has made comments suggesting that he won't go to the transfer portal out of loyalty to the guys he recruited. Tho he has taken guys in the pass in pre transfer portal days, McKenna being the most notable.
Okay. I was referring to recruiting rather than transfers for NIL. I personally feel like tOSU is able to match any offer to anyone in the nation. I think we will see the portal simmer down in a couple years. All these studs that are going/gone through the transfer portal were recruited will no money (well, hopefully). With these kids getting NIL since getting recruited now, teams won't be able to buy wrestlers to fill holes as easily, which is what we've seen.
A lot talk about *ichigan and their transfers. Hate to say it, but they are going to keep getting grad students. They have one of the best graduate schools in the United States. And I'm sure their pockets are deep as well. Griffin, Davidson, Gomez, not Suriano are all extremely high scholars,.

Last edited:
Chad Richison is the founder and CEO of Paycom and one of, if not "the" biggest financial supporter of wrestling in the state. He's traditionally been very involved with the National Wrestling Hall of Fame, the University of Central Oklahoma, Tuttle, and other wrestling support. He wrestled for Tuttle and UCO and has been an advocate of all things wrestling here in the state of Oklahoma.

Many have heard he assisted with a flight for OSU brass to meet with Taylor, but sources have shared that Richison has committed to supporting the hire of David Taylor and assuring he has the resources needed to be effective in the position. Oklahoma State leadership is who sought out and vetted David Taylor as a candidate for the Cowboys' head coaching job, but once sought, Richison got behind the idea and committed to financial resources to bring Taylor in and assist him with putting together a surrounding cast in his Regional Training Center and other areas that will give him the best opportunity at success.

Seth Duckworth InterMat

All the comparisons to John Smith yesterday got me thinking...was JB considered? Wrestling (style and accomplishments wise), I've always considered him much more akin to John Smith. than Taylor.

Obviously the Cael factor HAS to play a big role in that decision, but I wonder if that conversation ever happened. JB was pretty clear that 2024 was it for him (long before trials), and we all thought there was a pretty decent shot he came up short right? Wonder what that conversation was like.

All the comparisons to John Smith yesterday got me thinking...was JB considered? Wrestling (style and accomplishments wise), I've always considered him much more akin to John Smith. than Taylor.

Obviously the Cael factor HAS to play a big role in that decision, but I wonder if that conversation ever happened. JB was pretty clear that 2024 was it for him (long before trials), and we all thought there was a pretty decent shot he came up short right? Wonder what that conversation was like.
I think Ok State considered JB, to me it just seems JB isn’t considering coaching. It’s honestly nice that he has made and is making enough that he doesn’t have to go into coaching if he doesn’t want to. Like any coaching, being a head coach at high power wrestling program isn’t exactly a 40 hour a week job.