David Taylor interviews for OKST

bdhof

The heading says it all. If they pick him, and why wouldn’t they, can he put a dent in PSU? Do some of the pack leave town with him? Perhaps the biggest move in NCAA wrestling since Cael left ISU. Or is it’s nothingburger?

The heading says it all. If they pick him, and why wouldn’t they, can he put a dent in PSU? Do some of the pack leave town with him? Perhaps the biggest move in NCAA wrestling since Cael left ISU. Or is it’s nothingburger?
And sounds like he didn't apply. They called him and flew him out. I'd say they're going to make a pretty big offer.

Couple friends have been dreaming for David Taylor would end up at Ohio State somehow. One friend hates Tom Ryan and believes they constantly underachieve . Wants him fired all the time. I don't think he's going anywhere. Even if they fired Ryan after the season...OSU tries to hire a coach right away because of all the transferring and everything else...DT wasn't available then because of his Olympic hopes. Or at least he can't really commit the amount of time that's need to be the head guy at a big program. Th worked out perfectly for them

To stir the rumors a little more, who if anyone might transfer? NCAA champ Haines and AA Kasak both trained at DT's training center, M2. They are top on the chart for potential transfers. Some people brought up Dake leaving NLWC for CWC. Don't know if there's anything to that, but we'll see. If OKST can take a dent out of PSU then the playing field gets leveled somewhat. Right now, I can't see anyone getting close to PSU for the foreseeable future. They only lose 2 guys from this year's team and they have some great recruits coming in.

And if DT would have beaten Brooks, he's focused on winning the OLY and not thinking about this new job.

Coleman Scott can't be too pleased if any of the DT to OKST talk happens...
I'm sure he's not pleased at all others are in even considered. Some people I've heard closer to the program say Scott is all but a done deal. DT and others merely a "wishlist".

Also to my recollection, I think David's wife's career is deeply planted in Happy Valley.

OKST needs resurrected much more than Iowa. Brands is there for another five or six years with raises every year... 💪
If OKST needs resurrected much more (and I agree they do need a resurrection based on previous results) would it make sense to bring in a guy like Coleman Scott (if in fact he is the guy)? He wrestled for and coached under John Smith. Yes that pedigree is impressive and yes I think Coleman Scott is a great HC and I think he would be the right fit at OK ST and I think he would have great success there, but if I am the school and my objective is to resurrect the program is it in the best interest to bring someone in who is an "internal" guy like a Coleman Scott?

I'd say Rob Koll leaving Cornell and going to Stanford was a pretty big move. Not saying Taylor to OSU isn't big but that was a pretty dang big move for Koll to leave.

Couple friends have been dreaming for David Taylor would end up at Ohio State somehow. One friend hates Tom Ryan and believes they constantly underachieve . Wants him fired all the time.
In his tenure, Ryan's program is no worse than third and based on recency, could be the 2nd best in the country. You need smarter friends when it comes to this subject.

First 20 minutes or so quite informative to say the least. Answered a lot of my questions, a some is contrary to what I've been reading on social media

If OKST needs resurrected much more (and I agree they do need a resurrection based on previous results) would it make sense to bring in a guy like Coleman Scott (if in fact he is the guy)? He wrestled for and coached under John Smith. Yes that pedigree is impressive and yes I think Coleman Scott is a great HC and I think he would be the right fit at OK ST and I think he would have great success there, but if I am the school and my objective is to resurrect the program is it in the best interest to bring someone in who is an "internal" guy like a Coleman Scott?
I think some of the fall off with OKSTATE was John Smith reluctance to play in the Portal. He essientially said it without saying it at his press conference. No surprise to me that the dean hamiti announced going to Okiestate with a bag of cash and John Smith announced his retirement days later. Okiestate lost several athletes to the portal and jumping ship that were committed and i think that was partially money involved and John not wanting to pay athletes. Not saying that in a negative way towards him he was just of a different generation. Same reason Nick Saban decided to retire.

I am not saying that was all of their issues but i believe it was a good portion of them.

OSU finishes the last ten years

2014: 6th
2015: 1st
2016: 3rd
2017: 2nd
2018: 2nd
2019: 2nd
2020: Covid
2021: 9th
2022: 13th
2023: 4th
2024: 8th

2018-Buckeyes let a championship get away. Kollin loses twice to the same guy. Joseph upsets Martinez. Nickal, the last PSU guy to wrestle seals the championship...

I'm definitely surprised. I never considered that I was watching DT wrestle for the last time.
Feel bad for Scott.
Probably the biggest NCAA wrestling news since Cael went to PSU...

I'm definitely surprised. I never considered that I was watching DT wrestle for the last time.
Feel bad for Scott.
Probably the biggest NCAA wrestling news since Cael went to PSU...
Didn't Cael wrestle in the 2012 trials as HC?

OK now who goes w/ him? I'd put Haines and Kasak on the list just b/c they trained at M2. And perhaps Gilman and/or Dake as coaches. Gilman would be my pick since he's a lightweight. I'm sure DT is heavily involved in recruiting, so maybe some of the new recruits head out west. And I'm sure DT trains w/ many of the upper weights. Maybe a few of them will go w/ DT. And unlike the other OSU (tOSU), OKST has a bag full of money for NIL. Who does he pluck from other schools?

The best part of this is if he can put a dent in PSU, then that opens the door up for another team to compete if their stars align (maybe tOSU). Regardless, this likely will make NCAA wrestling more interesting, unless you're a PSU fan. The tournament is a given for the foreseeable future. Maybe the Magic Man changes that.

Last edited:
Considering Barraclaugh hit the portal, I'm guessing he goes. He's a probable AA, and PSU won't miss him. The roster is ridiculous.

Bdhof, do you really think this?-- "And unlike the other OSU (tOSU), OKST has a bag full of money for NIL."

Considering Barraclaugh hit the portal, I'm guessing he goes. He's a probable AA, and PSU won't miss him. The roster is ridiculous.

Bdhof, do you really think this?-- "And unlike the other OSU (tOSU), OKST has a bag full of money for NIL."
I think wrestling is much much more important to the school and fans as a whole at Oklahoma State than wrestling is or will ever be at Ohio State. So it wouldn’t be surprising to me to have big money OkSt donors make sure that the money is taken care of more than donors at Ohio State where football will always come 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Last edited:

tOSU does have a bag full of NIL money. However Ryan has made comments suggesting that he won't go to the transfer portal out of loyalty to the guys he recruited. Tho he has taken guys in the pass in pre transfer portal days, McKenna being the most notable.

Wonder if Dake makes the move after Paris and runs the RTC. Clear out the old Cowboys and start fresh.
I can't see him going to OKST. Probably not ethereal enough. I also believe DT will need some Cowboys on staff just for the sake of it being OKST. At least until they start winning... :sneaky:

I'm interested to see DT's payday. I believe he probably just became the highest paid wrestling coach.